2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101263 - 19/03/07 05:03 PM 4WD Vibrates
Anonymous
Unregistered

I parked in a spot which was iced up. Rear tires were spinning, so I engaged 4WD and pulled out slowly. As I accelerated, the truck started vibrating and when I coasted, it felt like the front brakes were engaging. Never happened before, so I disengaged, backed up and now in 2WD. Got home and tried 4wd and once again, started vibrating and when coasted, you can feel the truck slowing as if the brakes were being applied.

Now, I'm not sure, but I did get a wheel alignment about 4 month ago and have not engaged the 4wd till now. Is it because of this or is it something else?

Thanks for the help

#101264 - 29/03/07 03:13 PM Re: 4WD Vibrates
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyway, for those still interested in this, took the X to the service center and was told that the hubs might be the problem. First they wanted me to pay since it was out of warranty. I pulled out the warranty manual and said that 4wd was part of the powertrain which carries a 5 yr warranty. The manager agreed and after waiting a week for parts, the hubs came and was installed. Took the X for a spin around the dealer and still the same problem. The foreman comes out, test drives and after an hour on the lift, it's fixed. Stated something about the transfer case needing a slight ajustment.

Now one mechanic told me that in order to engage the 4wd, the X has to be in neutral. The other mechanic said it can be placed in park and then shifted to 4wd. Who is right?

#101265 - 29/03/07 04:58 PM Re: 4WD Vibrates
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
You can shift into 4WD either way. If it is the first time I am shifting into 4WD, I usually stop first then shift into 4WD. Normally I'd be in drive when I do this. It is shift on the fly so it really doesn't matter. The slower you go when shifting for the first time, the happier your t-case will be, but technically you can shift into 4Hi while the truck is in drive and doing less than 25 mph. If I'm going into 4lo, I'll put the tranny into neutral then drop into 4lo. I don't think I've ever been in park and put the truck into 4hi or 4lo.

-Michael

#101266 - 30/03/07 06:47 AM Re: 4WD Vibrates
Anonymous
Unregistered

It has to be in "neutral" to shift to 4WD Lo. You can shift into 4WD high (from 2WD) at any time up to the MPH limit that it says on your visor... I think it's 25mph, but I also think it might be 45mph; I don't remember for certain.

#101267 - 30/03/07 08:49 AM Re: 4WD Vibrates
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
When I first test drove the Xterra the salesman told me to try the shift on the fly. He said to take it up to about 40 mph, put it in neutral, shift into 4wd and then shift back into drive. I knew that 25 mph was the limit for the Xterra, but he assured me it was 45 mph. After switching into 4hi and putting it back into drive, there was this god awful bang and the truck shudder a little. He told me that was normal, that the truck was probably never put into 4wd before and that always happens when you put it into 4wd for the first time. I did not buy that Xterra. I'm hoping the salesman went back and did a little research before he told people how to shift on the fly.

-Michael

#101268 - 30/03/07 08:57 AM Re: 4WD Vibrates
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
He told me that was normal, that the truck was probably never put into 4wd before and that always happens when you put it into 4wd for the first time. I did not buy that Xterra. I'm hoping the salesman went back and did a little research before he told people how to shift on the fly.
My salesman told me that it was also shift on the fly 4 wheel low.. We proved him otherwise. Not pleasant to shift into 4 low while going 10mph or so. Awful noises, not to mention almost going through the windshield once it did kick in.
I did not buy that truck either.
It was a black 01 5 speed. Poor truck. I hope the salesman learned his lesson. LOL

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#101269 - 30/03/07 06:55 PM Re: 4WD Vibrates
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
salesmen can be such morons :rolleyes:

You can sometimes get it to go into 4LO while in park - but it works much better while stopped in Neutral.

#101270 - 30/03/07 07:02 PM Re: 4WD Vibrates
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pull down the visor, it tells you how. Show the mechanic so he can follow instructions. laugh

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal