shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#680511 - 21/09/13 03:27 PM Poor(er) ride after new shock replacement
jackertheberry Offline

Loc: SE Ohio
I have an '03 SE with 176k miles. The past couple of years I have noticed what, as best as can describe, as some "skipping" while taking some small bumps / hits going around the corners. The vehicle just doesn't seem to track that well. Small, square-edged bumps have felt like big bumps when encountered ... pretty harsh hits.
That said, I have just had the mechanic replace the factory shocks all around with a mid-priced Gabrial Ultra. Thinking that after the new shocks were put on that I would experience a "magical" ride, I was pretty disappointed to find the truck's ride had not improved. In fact, it seemed worse. Seems the front end "lifts" a little more upon acceleration from a stop and "dives" when braking.
Three days after installation, I replaced the worn rubber all around with a Michelin MTX tire + alignment. The new tires improved the ride a bit but there's still an underlying issue with the truck taking bumps/hits.
Any help / advice to my prob would be appreciated. Thanks!

#680513 - 21/09/13 05:58 PM Re: Poor(er) ride after new shock replacement [Re: jackertheberry]
slantyshanty Offline

Loc: Northern Michigan
Have you ever changed your springs/torsion bars? Also, check the gap between your front bump stops (upper and especially lower) and the spot that the bump stops hit.
2004 World Champ - 4x4 Man Trans - Silver - 3"SL+2"BL - Revolvers - Rancho RS9000XL's - Rancho RS5000 stab w/IAB - ARB rear locker - 34" BFG MT's Soft 8's - Blood red Shrock Sliders - Mean Green 180A - Optima 31 Bluetop - U-bolt skids - Hz+dB's

#680517 - 22/09/13 07:16 PM Re: Poor(er) ride after new shock replacement [Re: slantyshanty]
jackertheberry Offline

Never have replaced the springs/torsion bars. Maybe time to do it?
can you explain the bump stop gaps check? Thanx!

#680518 - 22/09/13 07:16 PM Re: Poor(er) ride after new shock replacement [Re: jackertheberry]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Those are still crappy shocks too...a set of Bils would be much more along the lines of what you were expecting.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#680523 - 24/09/13 02:48 AM Re: Poor(er) ride after new shock replacement [Re: TJ]
jackertheberry Offline

I was considering some Bils ... they were + $30 more/each tho.
Wish I would have pulled the trigger on those.

#680534 - 25/09/13 11:51 AM Re: Poor(er) ride after new shock replacement [Re: jackertheberry]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: jackertheberry
I was considering some Bils ... they were + $30 more/each tho.
Wish I would have pulled the trigger on those.

I hear you, but, If I could sell you a stick of wood with eyes for shock mounts, for $30 less than the crappy Gabriels, would you have bought the stick because the Gabs were $30 more?

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal