2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465125 - 28/04/05 02:54 PM Center console
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
I was at the dealer today and they had an 05 sitting in the showroom. It was my first chance to climb in and feel it out. Cant say I was all that impressed. frown

Seat was fine but the layout didn't fit me. The center console arm rest is too low to be of any use. The shifter is so far forward I couldn't rest my hand on it while I drove.

#465126 - 28/04/05 03:20 PM Re: Center console
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
For me I find the consle better than the one in my 02 and the shifter while in drive works perfect for me to place my hand on. Maybe arm lentgh has something to do with it. smile
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#465127 - 28/04/05 06:17 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Manual shifter or auto? Do many people rest their hands on auto shifters? Just curious, because it's a habit I have with manual cars, but in auto cars I don't usually keep my hand there (both hands are usually on the wheel actually unless I'm highway driving).

#465128 - 28/04/05 06:20 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Morvran:
Manual shifter or auto? Do many people rest their hands on auto shifters? Just curious, because it's a habit I have with manual cars, but in auto cars I don't usually keep my hand there (both hands are usually on the wheel actually unless I'm highway driving).
- Ditto -

#465129 - 28/04/05 06:54 PM Re: Center console
BurgPath Offline

It was an auto. I cant say I've driven a pre 05 X, I only have my Pathfinder to compare to. In my Pathy my elbow can rest on the center console while my had rests on the shifter.

Granted theres no where near the room for cup holders and such in my truck, but it 'fits' me.

The Titan, on the other hand, was very comfortable to sit in. Very cocoon like.

#465130 - 28/04/05 08:16 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had forgotten all about that - when I test drove my 05 I thought the center arm rest was too low and too far back. Guess I've gotten use to it cause it seems perfectly comfortable now and I had forgotten it seemed "inadequate" at first. Give it some time, I guess...

#465131 - 28/04/05 09:59 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahhh BurgPath thinking of trading in? Or getting a new vehicle?

#465132 - 29/04/05 04:59 AM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try driving with two hands on the steering wheel.

I don't know anyone who drives with their hand on the shifter.

#465133 - 29/04/05 05:40 AM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:
Try driving with two hands on the steering wheel.

I don't know anyone who drives with their hand on the shifter.
I drive with my hand on the shifter all the time even with my auto X. Force of habit from driving a manual for 12 years straight. The only time I don't have my hand on the shifter is when I roll down the window, then I drive with the right hand and have my left arm resting on the door. I also get the hand off the shifter to work the stereo or temp controls.

I also often turn off the overdrive off when I want to slow down. Offroad, I often downshift to control the speed in descents. Again habits coming from driving a manual.

As far as the armrest is concerned, on the 2002, I find that it is too far behind. I can rest my elbow on it if I don't put my hand on the shifter, but my girlfriend that is 5'1" can't use the armrest because it is behind her instead of next to her. I much prefer armrests that are attached to the seat back and fold up and down so you can use them or get them out of the way when you want. However, those would be awkward with a manual.

#465134 - 29/04/05 01:32 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heh....I thought I was the only nutcase who drove my automatic that way after years of driving manual transmissions. Nice to know there are others out there.

#465135 - 29/04/05 04:21 PM Re: Center console
BurgPath Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tightlines:
Heh....I thought I was the only nutcase who drove my automatic that way after years of driving manual transmissions. Nice to know there are others out there.
LOL, shhhh, theres a lot of us. Normally we don't speak out for fear of being labeled dangerous by the "always have 2 hands on the wheel" group. [Huh?]

Seriously, this isn't about driving style, its about comfort. 1 hand, 2 hands, no hands. The center console is to low, to far back and plain useless. Might as well not be padded. I'm gonna bring this up at the plant tour this year. wink

No, no trade in for me. I have a low mileage, well made, dependable, durable, grocery getter on steroids right now, and its fully paid off. I'd probably go Titan anyway. Hopefully that thing will be able to pull a 5th wheel soon.

#465136 - 30/04/05 01:17 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry if I came across as a hard case. Right hand on the shifter, left hand on the phone and steering with the knee is perfectly fine. [Sleep]

#465137 - 30/04/05 01:54 PM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

No worries. You just said you did not know anyone that did it so I introduced myself. Driving with the knee is something I've done too. I do use both hands on occasion like when I go thru a rough spot or driving really fast in a car.

#465138 - 30/04/05 07:48 PM Re: Center console
BurgPath Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:
Sorry if I came across as a hard case. Right hand on the shifter, left hand on the phone and steering with the knee is perfectly fine. [Sleep]
Man, your not thinking clearly. Look, I'm left handed, having my left hand on the wheel at the 12 position and my right on the shifter is comfortable to me. Are there times I steer with both hands? Yes. Sometimes I talk on the phone, using my right hand.

I guess its all in how you are raised. I grew up using different farming equipment, not lawn equipment mind you. Tractors with bush hogs, disc's, plows, grader blades and grader boxes. You have to keep 1 hand on the equipment control and 1 hand on the wheel. If you don't pay attention you can bog the tractor, turn the bush hog into a rock chipper or rip the blade off on a tree.

Now maybe you took your first driving lesson in High School where the instructor beat it into your head to keep both hands on the wheel. Thats fine, if it works for you. But I never bothered with that as it wasn't offered in my school.

If you need to bitch about someones driving, I'm sure theres an idiot offroader or a guy wanting to do 110MPH in his X on here somewhere. smile

#465139 - 02/05/05 09:29 AM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I have to reply to this. But from what I've read and heard it is bad to leave your hand on the shifter (manual) because it prevents the vibration and causes faster clutch wear.

In my subaru manual it says not to leave your hand on the shifter. In my subaru my hand was on the wheel where it should be.

In my new X (auto) I drive with both hands on the wheel.

I would check the manual to see what it says about leaving your hand on teh shifter.

#465140 - 02/05/05 09:49 AM Re: Center console
mddjr79 Offline

Loc: Northern VA
1. I want one of the new X's. Had a 2000, and loved it. Hopefully, the armrest is not as bad as it sounds. However, that won't stop me from getting one.

2. The thread has already been hijacked, so here goes…

The idea of driving with both hands is great. You get a little more control out of it. However, the reality is that having both hands on the wheel pales in comparison to the importance of being aware of your surroundings.

Also, in driving a manual, having access to the shifter is just as important to having both hands on the wheel. Furthermore, most people never develop their ability to drive with their left hand because they always drive auto’s. So, to me, one crappy arm and one good arm controlling the wheel is no different then one good arm. Just my two cents.

#465141 - 02/05/05 11:50 AM Re: Center console
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by nemesis099:
Well I have to reply to this. But from what I've read and heard it is bad to leave your hand on the shifter (manual) because it prevents the vibration and causes faster clutch wear.

In my subaru manual it says not to leave your hand on the shifter. In my subaru my hand was on the wheel where it should be.

In my new X (auto) I drive with both hands on the wheel.

I would check the manual to see what it says about leaving your hand on teh shifter.
I never heard of that before, but I can't argue it. That being said, my Civic 5-speed has 215,000km and I drive most of the time with the hand on the shifter. I had my transmission taken apart a few months ago to have some bearings replaced and the clutch was checked and in good shape. Now, that's only one car, one driver so it doesn't prove anything.

I checked the manual and they only mention not to leave the foot on the clutch pedal, but that's a given.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal