2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104222 - 04/04/08 01:02 AM All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Simply put, I'd like to know if anyone has used the All Pro Basic coil-over SAS kit on an X or pathy? If so, how did it go & how's it holding up?

I've been reading up on the Coil-over SAS & Leaf SAS process for the 1st Gen's and it seems like the All Pro coil over kit is complete, well designed, and inexpensive. Any thoughts? Xtoolbox was the one who originally recommended the idea to me on the SCCX site and I also saw his recommendation in this section too.

All Pro basic SAS coil-over kit

Don't get me wrong, the Calmini kit seems great and I know a lot of you are running it. The only reason I'm considering the All Pro kit is because it fairly complete and less expensive. Plus, I'd like to spend some more time welding.

So, let's here what you've got to say.

#104223 - 06/04/08 08:59 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA

#104224 - 12/04/08 10:20 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sooo, what would it take to get this system on an X?

I don't know how to weld, or even what half of that crap is, but I'm sitting out here in the desert banking, not to mention I got promoted in Jan, and I just re-enlisted and got a PHAT bonus.

So please, we talking some MAJOR fab work at a local shop or some $$$ to a local XOC member or is it a lost cause and should I just look into getting the Calmini cause it's mostly bolt on?

[drink] <--- I wish

#104225 - 12/04/08 12:55 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well it looks like more welding for sure. A quck read through seems like they were having some clearance issues with an upper link.

SteevO needs to post more pictures up even after looking through the kit pictures would help alot. That year of pathfinder is not all that different from an X.

#104226 - 12/04/08 01:02 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK a few more observations the upper link on the diff was bent to clear the frame.

In order to clear the axle links you will need to fab a new Tcase Crossmember from scratch.

I cant tell how high tose links go during flex but it may hit the exhast on the drivers side.

#104227 - 12/04/08 01:07 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another quick note.. the kit looks to be designed for a high pinon axle [ThumbsUp] . Little bit harder to find but they are out there.

#104228 - 14/04/08 09:40 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I bought the kit so I'll let you guys know how it goes. It's looks like it going to take a lot of fab work. The upper shock mounts are going to be tough as well.

#104229 - 14/04/08 10:47 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to drop by and tell you guys about the build a little bit.
Yeah the kit was originally made for a HP Axle and the front drive shafts starts to bind up just a little at full droop. but i'll be modifying the bracket/truss for the upper link to kick the pinion up and also push the axle forward a little. Whatever i come up with i'm going to do what i can to get them made eventually working towards a full SAS Kit.

Why All-Pro makes the bracket for the wagoneer D44 Low pinion axle is still a mystery to me.

The front driveshaft pinion or any other parts do not hit the exhaust.

My next post will be full of pics for you guys.
feel free to ask any other questions and don't be affraid to also contribute to the Rugged Rocks Board.

#104230 - 14/04/08 11:19 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may be a little excessive but here are pics...

#104231 - 14/04/08 11:48 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

and of course there are the pics of the build here:
Nissan Pathfinder Solid Axle Swap - 4WD&SU

and just to get your wheels turning i'm working on the atlas t-case adapter that shuld also fit the 1st gen X's. i should have the first one installed in a few weeks.

#104232 - 16/04/08 09:43 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for posting up the pics SteeevO.

Now I've got to figure out how I'm going to fab up a new cross member.

SteeevO - would you have been able to leave the stock exhaust and get everything to fit?

#104233 - 16/04/08 02:24 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

You will need to modify the exhaust. usualy people just modify the Y-pipe but i just had the entire thing ran new since i needed a new cat,muffler and i installed new headers.

and no prob on the pics.

#104234 - 07/05/08 10:19 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

any update on this?

#104235 - 07/05/08 10:28 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, still waiting on a parts to be shipped... Nissan Nut's Driveshaft adapter from Grassroots4x4. It's taking a bit of time

I've still got a bit of Axle prep to finish too.

Quick question SteeevO - why did you go with the weld-on tube shock hangers? Did it have anything to do with steering box getting in the way of the regular shock hangers?

#104236 - 08/05/08 11:08 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

ah, what DS are you using?

and i used the hoops becuase they allow for more uptravel and the tacoma buckets are at the wrong angle for the pathfinders fenders. i would have had to reroute LOTS of lines and cut ALOT of fender out.

#104237 - 09/05/08 02:03 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I need a little help here. What's DS stand for?

I'm now thinking it would have been a good idea to use the same type of shock hoops you've got because, like you said, the angle is off and I'm going to need to do a bit of fabricating to get it to fit without interfering with the steering box and linkage.

#104238 - 13/05/08 09:27 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry for the delayed response i thought i had e-mail notifications on,& i don't monitor this forum as often as the rugged rocks one... confused

also sorry for the confusion.. on DS, i meant front Drive Shaft.

and the hoops would probably work out better.

You have any pics yet? laugh

#104239 - 14/05/08 10:13 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey SteeevO,

No pics yet. just a big pile of parts right now. I'll be using the a shortened XJ driveshaft with the CV adapter from grassroots4x4.

The hoops look like the most simple way to go. For now I'm going to try and prefab in the shock towers that came with the kit. I'm pretty sure I can get it to fit in there without causing any problems. I'll shoot out another update soon.

#104240 - 27/05/08 04:29 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I came from a tacoma club and everyone that has tried that kit has had a ton of trouble. After a ton of fab work and headache they got it to work well though

#104241 - 02/06/08 02:48 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Morton58:
I came from a tacoma club and everyone that has tried that kit has had a ton of trouble. After a ton of fab work and headache they got it to work well though
Tell you what!!!! Wow, this is taking a ton of work... Still waiting on the last few parts... more updates coming in the next week or two.

#104242 - 04/07/08 01:45 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

... Took a whole lot more work than expected... Things got a bit sketchy during the first couple test drives. Almost had a disaster. Bump steer is weird!
had the break through tonight and got to test it out a bit... This thing is absolutely amazing!!! More details and pics to come...

#104243 - 08/07/08 11:54 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are the first few shots. I've still got some work to do. But it's driving now and is almost ready for some trail testing.

#104244 - 08/07/08 11:57 AM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got a question for all of you SAS'd guys....

How's the braking with the SAS'd axle? Was it harder or softer than the stock IFS? Did you swap out the master cylinder with another master cylinder to get more braking power?

#104245 - 08/07/08 02:42 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine was softer and the pedal does push in further. Its due to the fact the waggy axle brakes are one HUGE piston and the IFS brakes are 2 much smaller pistons right over the pads. So the waggy axle takes a bit more fluid to get it done.

I know a few guys have fabbed in to fit a Chevy Master Cylinder and it works really well.

Im not gonna do it because I got my X to stop on the steepest part of Lions Back (when it was open).

#104246 - 08/07/08 03:55 PM Re: All Pro & DIY SAS kit - almost done.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Mine was softer and the pedal does push in further. Its due to the fact the waggy axle brakes are one HUGE piston and the IFS brakes are 2 much smaller pistons right over the pads. So the waggy axle takes a bit more fluid to get it done.

I know a few guys have fabbed in to fit a Chevy Master Cylinder and it works really well.

Im not gonna do it because I got my X to stop on the steepest part of Lions Back (when it was open).
My only thing is that I feel like I've got about 80-85% of my original braking power. I can't get the X to lock up but it does stop fairly quickly.

Where your friends who fabbed the Chevy Master Cylinder doing it for an Xterra? If so, got any links or site you'd be willing to pass along with info?

My thought was actually to try and fit a master cylinder out of a Titan or Armada. I'm going to head down to the dealership and see if I can do a side by side comparison.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal