How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?

Posted by: Anonymous

How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 01:21 PM

thanks

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 01:30 PM

For a truck I'll take wheelin' I prefer an auto tranny.

For a sports/race/weekend fun/commuter car only manual.

That's how I like 'em.
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 02:00 PM

I've had 2 Xterras, 1 auto and 1 manual. 98% of the time I like the 5-speed. That other 2%, when I'm in traffic, the stick really blows.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 02:10 PM

For wheeling, a stick with crawler gears rules.

I hate the auto in my Xterra. If it wasn't my wife's to wheel, I'd sell it. Honestly.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 02:15 PM

OH man.... this could get U-G-L-Y.... where is my lighter fluid and C4?

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:

That's how I like 'em.
ditto on that one [ThumbsUp]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 03:44 PM

Quote:

That's how I like 'em.
i concur [ThumbsUp]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 04:09 PM

I absolutely detest autos. Even in heavy traffic. I've always had stick, learned to wheel with a stick, and I feel I have more control of the vehicle that way. Thats just me, one of my friends swears by auto for wheeling.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 04:10 PM

Stick shift all the way. I HATE automatics.

My Nissan is an auto, unfortunately; they didn't make a stick shift for that model/year ('02 Frontier long bed). So I had no choice.

My car is a 6 speed & rear wheel drive. Wouldn't have a car any other way. Ever. Until the day I day, or the day nobody makes one anymore... And even then, I'd probably hack off the auto & put one in.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 04:28 PM

Automatics are good for women and being in traffic. If you aren't driving in traffic, you better be sitting down to pee. [LOL]
All told, I do like a stick shift better, more fun to drive as well as the control factor.
Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 07:12 PM

Quote:

That's how I like 'em.
dot

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 09:21 PM

I prefer auto trannies because, lets face it, when you're trying to talk on the cell phone, eat a big mac, give the finger to the guy in the other lane, smoke a but, and shift, all at the same time, somethin's gotta give, and there's no way I'm puttin' down that big mac. laugh wink
Posted by: DocNo

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 21/09/07 10:20 PM

I've yet to own a vehicle with an automatic.

Don't know when I will be ready to own a vehicle with an automatic.

All I know is a supercharged Xterra with a 5 speed is sure fun to drive! [Smoking]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 04:32 AM

I am a woman and in my opinion real chicks drive sticks!

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 05:45 AM

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 06:41 AM

I love my stick shift!! Wouldn't have it any other way. The only down side is clutching in traffic. Oh well, nature of the beast I guess!!
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 07:41 AM

My First X was a Stick...it was nice, but was hell in City Driving...Let's face it...90% of a person's time is City Driving...My current X is Auto, which I kinda like, not bad during Offroading also....

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 10:07 AM

i would have bought a 6 speed, but my wife was spending her inheritance on the truck so her vote ruled and she wanted an auto. Can't complain to much since I didn't have to pay for it, but I will always choose a stick if I have a choice.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 10:59 AM

Quote:
How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ?
All depends on what you're driving.

Assuming you're talking about the X; 2nd Gen Auto is a trick setup with the Hill brake Lock feature (Manual version has to use the Clutch Interlock Byapass switch) not to mention the Hill Decent control. Gearing is adequate and with the 50% Throttle Map Reduction, going slow over the rough is a breeze.

1st Gen I had was just an '03 SE/SC Auto (Manual wasn't an option). It let me drive a little too quickly over some things, but you were more confident in the Drivetrain.

Sports Cars/Buggies and anything that will S&%t and Get = Manuals always!

Daily Driver in Traffic, I prefer an Auto. Likewise on the Mac!

Comes down ultimately to personal choice and what suits your needs.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 07:13 PM

I have an auto and i like it. but I love the feels of stick and yea it gives you more control, but i am to lazy when driving to shift. I love to stick it in "D" in the early mornings or after a long day and just do home.
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xXx 4x4:
...I love to stick it in "D" in the early mornings or after a long day and just do home...
Beg Your Pardon !!!

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/09/07 09:57 PM

Daily Driver = Auto.
Race Cars, Rock Crawlers, etc. = Manual.

My X is my DD, so I made sure that I purchased one with auto.

Traffic in Phoenix sucks. There are times when it takes me an hour to go 20 miles on the freeway. I can't imagine how many times I would have to clutch in traffic like that.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 23/09/07 06:47 AM

Manual for me, dunno what you yanks all see in automatics. 90% of cars in the UK are manual trans, Auto is for lazy ass fat people who want to be like Americans over there. Both my X's have been Manual Trans, only auto I've ever owned was my first car here in the US after moving here, when money was tight and someone offered me a good deal on it. Although it then died 12 months later (Monte Carlo).

MT for me - always, until I lose the use of my Right Arm or 1 of my legs at least.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 23/09/07 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-Ted:
Traffic in Phoenix sucks. There are times when it takes me an hour to go 20 miles on the freeway. I can't imagine how many times I would have to clutch in traffic like that.
It's really not that big of a deal. And I drive I-66 daily in either the Xterra or the Miata and often face similar traffic. I'm with RiNkY.

While 05_X was trying to be funny, unfortunately I think his statement is far closer to reality for many.

And then people wonder why in a heavy traffic area like this so many people are driving around with rear-end damage [Freak]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 23/09/07 11:44 AM

I'm guessing everybody with an auto has no answer for all that but... I've had many vehicles with a stick, but I really HATE it in heavy traffic and we have plenty of that here frown . On the other hand, I love the auto. with the traffic we have in this area. My X is 70% in town and 30% in the wilderness, if I'm lucky. So heavy traffic features win. Maybe if I lived in a less heavily populated area, I would be driving a stick, but like the other person said if you are multitasking in heavy traffic an automatic is nice! smile lj

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 23/09/07 10:00 PM

DocNo, we'll agree to disagree. My previous DD was a '96 Sunfire - a little 4-cylinder with a manual trans. I hated it in stop and go traffic.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 23/09/07 10:08 PM

I love driving manual and I have never had any problems or complaints about it until I took my X off road. The first trip was pretty bad... The second was a bit better and overall things started to improved. However, trying to go over boulders is still something that I struggle with.

Had I had to do things again, I would have gotten an auto only for one reason: My significant other. The X is the spare car and when our primary one breaks down, my girlfriend cannot take the X since she does not know how to drive a stick shift. We end up spending $ on rentals and that is no good... So far we spend around $1.5K on rentals this year (it is a long story) and the amount spent on the auto tranny would have justified itself.
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 24/09/07 04:34 PM

Stick. Stick. Stick. Stick. Stick. Stick.

Stick. Stick.

Ok, now I'm finished.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 24/09/07 06:36 PM

funny how most of the people who swear by the stick don't live in areas with traffic.

Me personally I've never driven anything extensively with a stick. So Im going to have to stick with the auto.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 24/09/07 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Auto is for lazy ass fat people who want to be like Americans over there.
Nice way to talk about us while living in our country. [Finger]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 24/09/07 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisf4i:
Quote:
[b]Auto is for lazy ass fat people who want to be like Americans over there.
Nice way to talk about us while living in our country. [Finger] [/b]
I am lazy and fat tho - I fit right in. I'm talkin about Skinny British folk who are wannabe yanks, rather than those who come and take over the place like myself.
Posted by: XPLORx4

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 25/09/07 03:51 PM

I prefer auto for off-road use and manual for highway use.
However, if I had to contend with daily stop-n-go traffic, I would get an auto with a "sport-shift/manu-matic" mode.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 25/09/07 04:31 PM

Stick for On-Road
Stick for Traffic
Stick for open highway
Stick for City Streets
Stick for Towning
Stick for Sand
Stick for Mud
Stick for Dirt
Stick for Snow
Stick for Desert
Stick for Mountains
Stick for Beaches
Stick for Off-Road
Stick for Crawling

Auto for ... I guess not.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 26/09/07 09:59 AM

I prefer driving a stick vs auto. Besides.....it just seems wrong to have a automatic 4x4 [Freak]

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 26/09/07 10:34 AM

My X is a stick and I live in Cali, i've never really minded stick in traffic, just leave it in first. The way this thing is geared you can drive at a walking speed without stalling. I spend more time in traffic than i do off road, but when i do go off road, I'm always so happy i have a stick.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 26/09/07 10:47 AM

My X is auto, and I sure do enjoy rock crawling with that alot more than I do my Jeep that is manual. Of course I don't have the Crawler gears yet... and when I get those, i'm going hand throttle laugh But without those... my knee is killing me at the end of the day.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 26/09/07 01:43 PM

Loved my '02 stick. Hate my 05 stick. Clutch way underengineered.
Posted by: NY Madman

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 26/09/07 11:38 PM

It's a bit of a pain in the ass to smoke a cigarette and drink a beer at the same time while driving stick.

eek
Posted by: Paul H

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 27/09/07 03:37 AM

I prefer an auto.

Just how I am.

I have owned sticks before but like an auto better.
Posted by: NuDan

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 27/09/07 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
It's a bit of a pain in the ass to smoke a cigarette and drink a beer at the same time while driving stick.

eek
Pfffft...rookie

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 27/09/07 06:52 AM

So this thread seems to say:

Auto - If you are a careless driver who would rather multi-task than pay attention to the road.

Manual - If you have driving ability and care about other drivers on the road.
Posted by: k_enn

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 27/09/07 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:

All I know is a supercharged Xterra with a 5 speed is sure fun to drive! [Smoking]
x2. I first test drove the supercharged with an automatic -- nice and performed decent. But then when I test drove the supercharged with the 5 speed, I knew this was way more fun and better performing. No regrets getting the 5 speed.

k_enn

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 28/09/07 10:21 AM

Just test drove the stick , and to tell you the truth , I found it very jerky and notchy , I actually prefer the auto now and the I like the way the supercharger kicks in on the auto

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 28/09/07 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG1:
Just test drove the stick , and to tell you the truth , I found it very jerky and notchy , I actually prefer the auto now and the I like the way the supercharger kicks in on the auto
OE

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 28/09/07 10:33 AM

I have an auto I would much prefer having a stick. However, it occasionally sees tow duty and we wouldn't be able to tow the boat with the stick.

Luckily I can drive stick in the 924. And its not that hard to do it with only one hand

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 28/09/07 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:
I first test drove the supercharged with an automatic -- nice and performed decent. But then when I test drove the supercharged with the 5 speed, I knew this was way more fun and better performing. No regrets getting the 5 speed.
I was dead set on getting an automatic for many of the reasons mentioned in this thread. Then I made the mistake of test driving a supercharged 5 speed smile

Was just driving it around tonight (had to go to Costco in Deleware - long story, don't ask) and I still thoroughly enjoy it (even if i did have to sit in stop and go traffic at a stupid toll plaza on I-95 for 20 minutes mad ).

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 28/09/07 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG1:
Just test drove the stick , and to tell you the truth , I found it very jerky and notchy
That goes away with practice wink

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 28/09/07 09:39 PM

Quote:
So this thread seems to say:

Auto - If you are a careless driver who would rather multi-task than pay attention to the road.

Manual - If you have driving ability and care about other drivers on the road.
Yeah that is what the thread says :rolleyes:

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 29/09/07 11:15 AM

I think the truth is that most folks simply don't know how to drive stick. This is most especially true with younger drivers (under forty). Don't drivers nowadays get some sort "automatics only"-type of wording on their driver's license unless they do a road test with a manual transmission vehicle?

I'm an old fart who learned to drive with a stick over twenty years ago but haven't, sadly, driven with one in over ten years. Chalk me up as one of those lazy, 'shiftless' Americans. [Wave]

_Lazza

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 30/09/07 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazza:
Don't drivers nowadays get some sort "automatics only"-type of wording on their driver's license unless they do a road test with a manual transmission vehicle?

no

It is not that I do not know how I just choose not to do it. I am not lazy or irresponsible I just like an auto. For most people it is that simple. Not the other way around.

Jeez like a mac vs pc debate.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 30/09/07 10:07 AM

Auto.

I like electric starters vs. hand-crank too.
Posted by: TJ

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 30/09/07 12:48 PM

It comes down to ease of use vs control.

If you want it easy, obviously, its easier to drive an automatic....it shifts for you.

If you want control, well, maybe the automatic doesn't shift when YOU want it to, or have the ratio you want...so you need to take control and do it your self.

There are some advantages on or off road for both, like the torque converter taking up some drive train slack and the manual's clutch burning up if you need to go too slowly for your gearing, etc...

vs the ability to engine brake on down hills and to choose a gearing set more suited for a situation, etc.

Generally, the manual will out accelerate the auto, and have more control/finese....

and generally, the auto will simply mean one pedal to go, and one to stop...leaving your attention to other details more free...like that Big Mac, etc.

So there's no wrong answer - its just a question of priorities, convenience vs control....you pick what works for you.

laugh

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 30/09/07 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. B.A.Dass:
Automatics are good for women and being in traffic. If you aren't driving in traffic, you better be sitting down to pee. [LOL]
All told, I do like a stick shift better, more fun to drive as well as the control factor.
Hmpf... :rolleyes: What makes them any better for a woman than for a man? I have been driving manual transmission vehicles all my life. I wouldn't drive anything else. I think auto are more suited for a man.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 02/10/07 08:47 PM

Actually I am about to pull my hair out. I have been searching for months for a F350/F450 Crewcab 7.3L 4x4 DRW <150,000mi with a 6 speed manual tranny. I haven't been able to find one [Crybaby] . Every single one I find is an auto. Its driving me batty. Well there have been like three 6 speeds, not one of them the combo I mentioned.

I can't imagine why there aren't any. [Freak] I am almost considering getting a *gulp* automatic just so I can have my truck.

Sorry for the whining.

/end ranting chick banter

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 03/10/07 08:11 PM

When I bought my new Xterra a month ago the dealer was trying to clear the lot of '07s. I wanted a stick but all they had at the three dealers around here were slushboxes. I figure I was given a good deal but now I'm driving a slushbox.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 03/10/07 09:21 PM

Of the 6 vehicles I've owned, half were stick and half auto. My X is a stick, there have been a couple times I wished I had the auto. But in heavy traffic, clutching it helps build up that left leg muscle to counter balance the right forearm..ha smile

Another thing you have to think about is if you have a hobby where there is a chance that you can hurt yourself and not be able to push that clutch in...then ur screwed.
Posted by: John Doe

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 04/10/07 05:56 AM

I drive on cruise control alot. If I lived in a flat area a stick would be the way to go. Living in hilly south east Tennessee with a stick, cruise would be practically useless, so auto all the way for me.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 04/10/07 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by azmk:
Another thing you have to think about is if you have a hobby where there is a chance that you can hurt yourself and not be able to push that clutch in...then ur screwed.
Forgive me for sounding youthful. But you don't need to use the clutch pedal to shift if you're really good and know how to drive with finess without grinding the gears... I know, I practice when the traffice is light. It's not that tough.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 04/10/07 04:48 PM

cool --My 'o6 X is a stick, all my previous 4wd's have been auto's, in snow, mud, rocks, hills, traffic-autos rule--

--I have a stick because I've been in the boondocks with a dead battery and Auto, thats why Ill take sticks !!

-- [Wave] --JIMBO

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 04/10/07 06:12 PM

I didn't think that you could push start fuel injected vehicles. I thought that there had to be juice in the battery in order for the injectors to work. Please correct me if you have done it.

I think a stick is much better in the mountains than on flat land. I love the control that engine braking gives me when I'm going downhill.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 04/10/07 06:48 PM

I can catch my X in gear and start it up. But I don't think it would work without the battery being turned on. I dunno and I dont want to find out.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 04/10/07 07:27 PM

cool Well, you guys are ever so close, but with the ignition key on and in 2wd,2nd/3rd gear with a quick clutch pop, the alternater will zap enough for the ig/injectors and fuel pmp --I always carry a can of "GUNK" THRUST, for a shot at the air filter, if needed-

--Even if you're in a rocky area, you've got a drop off a rock to flip the engine a couple revs and with todays fuel injection you'll never have to worry about a flooded engine--

--Going alone is "of course" stupid, but sometimes we don't have a lot of choices--

-- [Wave] --JIMBO

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 09/10/07 05:05 PM

I Know This Topic Is ALL About Personal Preference, But I Prefer A Stick As Opposed To An Automatic. I Like The Control With Having A Stick, Though The Automatic Is Way Nicer In Traffic.

I Searched And Searched For My Perfect X And I Finally Found What I Wanted. Finding A SC SE Solar Yellow 4x4 5 Speed With Below Average Miles Was A Pain In The Rear, But Well Worth It. I Found A Grip Of Autos, But I Guess That Makes My X That Much More Special 'Cause I Put More Work Into Finding It Right. smile

I Just Posted In The Noobs Nook If You Want To Check It Out.

Have A Great Day!

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 15/10/07 09:20 AM

I've owned both stick shifts and autos since the 80s. Both have their benefits at times.

However, the NEW transmission in the 2nd generation Xterra is nothing like the previous models. It's always in the right gear, VERY quick and smooth. Beefed up 350Z tranny.

With this much power, having a stick buys you very little in performance, or off-road ability. For CONTROLLED off-road power, it's hard to improve on an auto.

I use my Xterra for towing. Not many here tow close to the 5000 lb limit, as I do. Torque multiplication is a big deal, and it really makes taking off from a dead stop easy without wearing out a clutch. Ditto when backing a trailer into sandy campsite (trailer doesn't want to roll).

On an underpowered vehicle, a stick is a better choice usually. But the new Xterra has plenty of motor and the auto transmission is a piece of art.

Drive whatcha want, but unless you've driven the 2nd gen Xterra with an auto, you have no idea what you're missing. See ya on the boat ramps, and in heavy traffic. Been there, done that.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 15/10/07 09:01 PM

Thread hijack but how do you like your rockwood trailer?

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 15/10/07 10:18 PM

Paul u going to buy a new X soon?
The Miles nissan dealership is calling for you!

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 19/10/07 01:04 PM

I'm torn, frankly.

I like the control, and lets face it, the fun of a manual, but the multitasking of an auto is something that comes in very handy.

And no, I don't just mean of the BigMac variety wink

Every try answering a radio call while hitting the lights/siren and talking on a cell phone, all while shifting in traffic?

Not exactly a cakewalk...

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 22/10/07 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boondox:
Paul u going to buy a new X soon?
The Miles nissan dealership is calling for you!
If I were I would not deal with Miles ever. Crooks.

But nah proly going to stick with what I have for a bit longer.

Re: How many of your prefer stick over auto or vise vera ? - 26/10/07 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Thread hijack but how do you like your rockwood trailer?
Excellent. Had it a year. My buddy bought his in 2004, and has traveled from FL to Canada -n- back, then from FL to Oregon -n- back. This year went to NC, next year heading for the central States. LOTS of miles, fulltiming in it most of the year. Still looks new. He was the inspiration for us buying one.

Our basic model was only $12K, far cheaper than a Fleetwood Niagara Popup. I selected all the options for an additional $4k, STILL cheaper than a Niagara ($18K locally). Just got back from Topsail Hill in the FL Panhandle. Spending new years at Fort Wilderness.

Highly recommend them, go kick the tires yourself.