Can't locate where to connect hitch harness?

Posted by: Manhster

Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 01/06/03 05:54 PM

I have a 2001 XE 5spd and it came with a hitch harness. I'm getting ready to tow something and can't find where I can connect it. I've looked under the right rear wheel well and can't seem to see anything I can connect the harness to.

Thanks for the help,
Posted by: altima

Re: Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 01/06/03 06:20 PM

It's tucked under the right corner of the rear bumper. Kinda tricky to get too. If it's never been used there should be a blue cap on it. Have to take it off first. :p
Posted by: Ramness

Re: Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 01/06/03 07:35 PM

Helps to remove the spare tire too look around behind the license plate area.
Posted by: asianboy

Re: Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 02/06/03 11:52 AM

From what I know the 2000-2001 model Xterras that were 5-spd trans. didn't come pre-wired and you had to buy and install the wiring kit. Then some people on this board that had a manual tranny said that theirs did come wired. If their dealer did it for them, who knows? Hope this helps.

You should lay down on your back and look straight up behind the bumper near the RR tire. You should see a blue cap with 4 little orange (or red?) circles in it. You have to remove this cap before inserting the pigtail.
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 02/06/03 12:07 PM

I have a 2001, 5-speed and mines came prewired.

I found that "little blue thing" immediately just by looking under the rear-rightside corner of the Xterra. Its easier if the area is clean (no mud), so you can spot the harness easier.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 02/06/03 12:53 PM

Try this thread:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002323

Brent
Posted by: Xterra Kid 2003

Re: Can't locate where to connect hitch harness? - 02/06/03 05:40 PM

In the 2003 i dont see a blue cap but i see a small black box that has three wires running into it is this were the trailer pig-tail is on the 2003???