Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat

Posted by: Anonymous

Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat - 04/04/08 07:07 AM

Hi everybody,
My wife and I just bought a 2007 Xterra SE. I had a DrawTite hitch added but the wires (4-prong connector) are just kind of "hanging around". I've seen a couple products out there to hide/store the wires but really don't know how they would work or look.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Posted by: Canope

Re: Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat - 05/04/08 05:43 AM

I used black zip-ties to secure my wires to the hitch. The connector end is then threaded to the two chain-hold holes. It looks 'decent'.

Re: Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat - 05/04/08 12:20 PM

cool Get some Black (split), plastic wire bundle shields, at any Auto parts store and wrap the wires with that material, then Zip-tie, like Canope does--

--Do it "UP BEHIND" the lower brackets, so the harness won't be exposed to rocks/bushes-etc !!!

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

Re: Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat - 19/04/08 06:12 PM

I would highly suggest going to a 6 pin or 7 pin RV connection depending on what you're pulling. Nissan sells the little wiring harness or if you have the equipment, cut off the original wiring end and replace it with a deutch or wetherpack connector. That will keep the moisture out of the connection and keep it from rusting. There is lots of room above the spare tire where you can drill a hole in the bumper and install the trailer plug. I did it to mine for under $20 and looks stock and best of all you don't have that damned 4 pin harness dangling around.
Posted by: xcanuk

Re: Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat - 27/04/08 04:03 PM

My X didn't come prewired, bought the kit from Nissan stateside. It came with a simple flatbar with a rectangular clamp. Bolt the bar to the hitch, slip in the 4prong into the clamp.. no fuss.
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Trailer Wiring-How to make it neat - 27/04/08 09:57 PM

just don't do it like this: