Rust proofing?

Posted by: Anonymous

Rust proofing? - 01/08/04 09:33 PM

Ok my new X has rust on it... exhaust ,driveshaft and various things on the underside....should I get it rust proofed? I live in Indy....Is Ziebart a ripoff or shopuld I get it done... thanks for the help in advance

Re: Rust proofing? - 02/08/04 12:57 PM

Rust coat the exhaust? dont bother, it will burn off, and may catch fire. The shaft? dont bother. it will never rust through. If your that concerned, get yourself a few cans of 3M spray undercoating and do the underbody yourself.
Posted by: XterrAZ

Re: Rust proofing? - 02/08/04 03:06 PM

Definitely don't coat the driveshaft. If it's not done properly you'll end up with a out of balance vibration and possibly wipe out the front pinion and rear trans tailshaft bearings/bushings.

Re: Rust proofing? - 02/08/04 03:31 PM

Rust? What's that? It's so dry here I saw a cactus chasing a dog to get a little sprinkle..
[Smoking]

Re: Rust proofing? - 23/08/04 11:17 AM

yea i'm getting a little concerned about this also, i want to prep my X for the winter (canadian winter brrrr...), right now the under body is mildly rusty looking.

Should I buy a can of rust check and spray away?
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Rust proofing? - 23/08/04 11:27 AM

If it isn't sheet metal, it's most likely not going to be affected by rust anytime in the next decade. Nissan stopped painting the driveshafts, steering pitman arm and tie rod ends, and a few other odds and ends underneath starting with the 02s, and while they look like ass, they're fine.