I HATE MECHANICS!!!

Posted by: austinbrtndr

I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 11:49 AM

Ok... this is all referring to my previous topic in Backyard Mechanic, "Major issues..."... so I picked up my truck a month ago and paid the mechanic $2400... he says he told me, and I don't remember this, that if the truck started using oil that I needed to sell it... hmmm... now let me think... when I took the truck in initially, I wanted a quick $500 repair so I could trade it in... it's my mom's mechanic, and she said if I took it there, she would help me out and foot part of the bill... no problem... so the next thing I hear is about a $1200 repair that would leave me in pretty good shape and the truck should last quite awhile longer... I go to pick it up and he hands me a $2400 bill... grrrr... now, less than a month later, it's using about 3 qts of oil a week, and the check engine light is on for knock sensor and O2 sensors, which he replaced! Oh, and there's grease all over the place from what looks to be a busted seal on the fan... I'm super fucking pissed off, and my mom is pretty calm about it... but I'm sure that's because she has a car to drive... if you guys were in my shoes, how would you handle this situation... I really don't think there's anything I can do, except for vent, rant, and rave... hell, I don't know... I do know that I could have found a much better use for $2400... hell, the trucks not even paid off yet, I'm drowning in negative equity, now have this huge repair bill, and it's still a piece of shit!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 12:20 PM

I am willing to bet he doesnt know Jack shit about Nissans. Sorry... all mechanics are not the same.

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
I am willing to bet he doesnt know Jack shit about Nissans. Sorry... all mechanics are not the same.
And I agree with that... it is definitely a
"domestic" town...
Posted by: xterra3202

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 12:32 PM

BBB is a good place to complain. Try and get calm and see what you can work out with the mechanic. You mentioned you wanted a cheap repair to sell it so if you find what your looking for at a dealers lot maybe you can work the deal to include the old X and the repairs for it. Sometimes a dealer will take the trade, not fix it and just wholesale it at auction. Good luck.

Tim
Posted by: Canope

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 02:00 PM

Take it back to him and tell him to fix it right. If he will not or can not, ask for a refund. If that is a no-go, sue him in small claims court. 24 cabbage is a lot.
Posted by: PDXterra

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
...it's using about 3 qts of oil a week...
Holy crap! I assume it's leaking that much, not burning it? Never heard of a 2-stroke Xterra, but damn...that's a lot of oil to go through.

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 03:26 PM

Is it leaking?

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 03:42 PM

Not leaking and not blowing any smoke... may not be quite 3 quarts, but pretty damn close...

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Canope:
Take it back to him and tell him to fix it right. If he will not or can not, ask for a refund. If that is a no-go, sue him in small claims court. 24 cabbage is a lot.
That's kind of what I have planned... He did do a lot of work that needed to be done, but NONE of it was necessary if I'm just going to have to get rid of it right away... I was atleast hoping to drive it for another year until I was in a better financial situation...

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 03:59 PM

Take him to small claims court. Its pretty painless to do. Im not judge, but it sounds to me you didnt get your monies worth.

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 07:53 PM

If its not smokin or leaking then it could be getting into your coolant. Pull some out. Didnt he replace the head gasket.

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 08:14 PM

What work did he supposedly do?

And Kevin's correct, we're not all the same.
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 26/03/07 09:11 PM

Quote:
... I go to pick it up and he hands me a $2400 bill...
Correct me if I am wrong,....but doesn't a Mechanic have to tell you how much the Final Price will be Prior to any kind of Work on your Vehicle to get your Approval...
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 27/03/07 05:45 AM

that sucks dude frown

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 27/03/07 08:35 AM

Good mechanics are really hard to find. I've been screwed over hard before as well.
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 27/03/07 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Quote:
[b]... I go to pick it up and he hands me a $2400 bill...
Correct me if I am wrong,....but doesn't a Mechanic have to tell you how much the Final Price will be Prior to any kind of Work on your Vehicle to get your Approval...[/b]
That's sure the way it works here! If I don't know about it and approve it first, you'd better not be doing the work.

And Cyclemutt, I wish like hell you lived here. I don't think Daggerdoggie is going to like it when I show up at his "garage" in a couple of months looking for a new timing belt. [Too much XOC] [LOL] [LOL]

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 28/03/07 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
What work did he supposedly do?

I've got the receipt posted in the "Major issues..." thread in Backyard Mechanic... I pretty much found out the rest of the story today from my mom... I find out that he had actually talked to her and told her it was a bad idea to fix it, because aside from replacing the engine, he couldn't guarantee it would work for very long... she thought that it was worth a try and told him to go ahead with the job... had I known this was going on, I would have gone down to the shop and torched the truck... so, I talk to the mechanic today, and the truck is about shot... time to move on...

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 28/03/07 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by silverxglider:
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
[b]
Quote:
[b]... I go to pick it up and he hands me a $2400 bill...
Correct me if I am wrong,....but doesn't a Mechanic have to tell you how much the Final Price will be Prior to any kind of Work on your Vehicle to get your Approval...[/b]
That's sure the way it works here! If I don't know about it and approve it first, you'd better not be doing the work.

And Cyclemutt, I wish like hell you lived here. I don't think Daggerdoggie is going to like it when I show up at his "garage" in a couple of months looking for a new timing belt. [Too much XOC] [LOL] [LOL] [/b]
laugh laugh laugh

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 28/03/07 08:23 PM

Yeah, I don't think I'll make it out that way until at least Fall. I don't want to get trapped out there during the 'cold' season!

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 11/05/07 04:57 PM

ok... last and final update to this shitty story... the truck is on it's way to auction right now... so, if you live in TX and see a beat up silver Xterra at auction, DON'T BUY IT!!! My new vehicle is a 2k Ford Expedition, which I actually like a little better because of it's size, comfort, and gas mileage... that and the fact that any old hillbilly can/will work on it... looks like my off-roading days are done... but I want to thank you all for the ride! [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: Southernx7

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 11/05/07 07:52 PM

Damn dude. Another one gone......this is getting more and more common around here. You still going to hang out here?

Up the Irons!!

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 11/05/07 08:25 PM

frown
[Wave]

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 11/05/07 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Southernx7:
Damn dude. Another one gone......this is getting more and more common around here. You still going to hang out here?

Up the Irons!!
It seems that around this time every year there's an influx of members leaving the board and selling their X. It miht be due to rising costs of gas every summer as well. Some stick it out to fight another day, others find better means and more suitable vehicles.
Posted by: Southernx7

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 11/05/07 10:21 PM

While gas is getting rather out of control, with only 3 payments left on the X i'm not getting into another payment anytime soon as that can be used to offset the rise in gas prices for me. The trend also seems that a lot of members bought into a lifestyle type vehicle and have been there done that. Lifestyle changes, costs of maintaining a vehicle and some just prefer newer vehicles every couple of years. This vehicle is part of the family now and i'm not intending on ever selling it.

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 12/05/07 07:42 AM

I'm sure I'll be stopping by every now and then... this is still the only forum I've got where I really know people... as for getting rid of the X, I was wanting something more comfortable, a little bigger, and was really getting tired of sitting in traffic with a manual tranny... the Expedition fits that and also gets a little better mileage...
Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Re: I HATE MECHANICS!!! - 12/05/07 08:02 AM

Its still a ford trader.