Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good?

Posted by: Anonymous

Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 10:46 AM

When I got my 7.1Mp Canon Powershot G6, what I really wanted was the 8Mp Digital Rebel. After looking at SLRs today I now see that Canon offer the 10Mpixel XTI models.

Anyone had any experience with this camera? My G6 is awesome, but I really want to trade up for the XTI, while I can still get $350+ for my mint G6 on Ebay.
Posted by: OrganDonor

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 11:08 AM

I JUST did what you are considering, except I went with the Nikon D80. It is what I have always been looking for.
I had the Canon G6, and sold it last week on ebay for $400, BIN. It was only on there for about 2 hours before someone hit BIN.
What I have always wanted in a digital is the faster response time and shutter speeds of the dslr. The D80 isn't a lot bigger than what the g6 was, but has a lot more capability.
Good luck!
ReecerX

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 11:10 AM

Awesome, I was reading reviews on CNET etc. and they also reccomend the Nikon. I will have to have a serious look at that one too.

With a Lens tho the D80 is a little beyond my $1000 budget.
Posted by: xterrapin

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 11:14 AM

I just got the Nikon D50 and it's a great starter D-SLR. Check pricewatch.com for price comparisons.
With a 2GB high speed card and a bag, I was out the door for just over $900.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 11:39 AM

dpreview.com has some pretty good reviews too, for anyone else out there that might be shopping for a digital camera.

Might opt for the 8MP Digital Rebel. I can pick up the 8MP Digital Rebel for $570 (Body only). Then get 2 reasonable lenses and still be in under $1000.
Posted by: Matt Peckham

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 12:17 PM

Don't cheap on your lenses. That's my recommendation to you. Get the best lens you can. The cameras will always drop fast in price, but a good lens is like a porsche. They simply don't drop in value until they are very abused, and then they are considered "classic". Cheap lenses may never make it to the point where you want to sell them. I had a Sigma zoom lens that the zoom unscrewed inside the camera. It was held on by a piece of transparent tape. While I have had an old push pull 80-200 2.8 zoom lens that is so heavy the lens mount wore out to the point where it wouldn't keep good contact with the camera, sent it in, and they replaced the lens mount and it'll be good as new soon. It's over 10 years old, and it's probably taken 30,000 photos.

Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:
Don't cheap on your lenses. That's my recommendation to you. Get the best lens you can. The cameras will always drop fast in price, but a good lens is like a porsche. They simply don't drop in value until they are very abused, and then they are considered "classic". Cheap lenses may never make it to the point where you want to sell them. I had a Sigma zoom lens that the zoom unscrewed inside the camera. It was held on by a piece of transparent tape. While I have had an old push pull 80-200 2.8 zoom lens that is so heavy the lens mount wore out to the point where it wouldn't keep good contact with the camera, sent it in, and they replaced the lens mount and it'll be good as new soon. It's over 10 years old, and it's probably taken 30,000 photos.

x2

The lens makes the shot.
Posted by: airbutchie

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 02:09 PM

x3 on Matt's comments...

I bought the XTi as a second dSLR (backup to my 30d)... It's a nice camera with some "punch" to it... What I like, of course, is that my lenses can be used on my 30d onto the XTi...

It's a great camera (backup or otherwise)... For a beginner, it's got enough features to get your palette wet... Of course it may not be comparable with the Nikon D80 (pro-consumer level), it is an overall great entry-to-mid level dSLR... The Nikon D50 is more in lines of comparison to the Rebel XTi (400D)...

Nonetheless, I re-iterate what Matt said... Don't go skimpy on cheap glass... You won't regret it in the long run... Good luck with you decision!!

- Air B [Smoking]

PS. Here's a few shot I took with the XTi

Downtown Los Angeles Skyline:

Hotel Coronado in San Diego:

Tiki Torch:

Halloween pumpkins:

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 02:17 PM

Lovely pics AirB. Now I want the XTI AND a nice lense! lol. Dammit, this is gonna get more expensive.
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 02:39 PM

Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RI Xterra:
Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.
Hhehehehehe... I'm on that site with the same username (airbutchie)... Great site for info and such... Check it out Rinky... Any other XOC members there?

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Lovely pics AirB. Now I want the XTI AND a nice lense! lol. Dammit, this is gonna get more expensive.
Thanks Rinky... FWIW, the last two shots were taken with a $70 prime lens (Canon 50mm f/1.8 II)... Great little lens and cheap too... I'd recommend picking one up if you decide to get the XTi... Well worth it $$$...

The first two shots were taken with my Tokina 12-24mm UWA (ultra-wide angle) lens... That lens put some serious hurt on my wallet at $500... But the pictures they deliver is absolutely breathtaking... In addition, I just purchased a Canon 70-200mm f/4L zoom lens ($560)... It should come sometime this week... Damn my wallet feels really light now... Anyhoo, it's gonna replace my old Quantaray 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens that I've had since my Canon Rebel Ti film SLR... The Quantaray has done fantastic work for me, but needs to be retired for better glass...

Again, try not to skimp on cheap glass (lens)... Of course, with the exception of the $70 Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens... Hehhehehhe... Enjoy the hobby like I do...

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 05:48 PM

And in case you're wondering what that same Tokina 12-24 does with a Nikon (this is with a D100):

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 06:47 PM

Magnificent shots there Moby... Absolutely gorgeous!!!

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 07:10 PM

Thanks.

I love the pumpkin shot. The LA one is pretty damn nice, too. Where'd you take that? I'm itching to get back to LA, now that Griffith is open again.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by airbutchie:
Quote:
[b]Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.
Hhehehehehe... I'm on that site with the same username (airbutchie)... Great site for info and such... Check it out Rinky... Any other XOC members there?

- Air B laugh [/b]
I'm also on there as RIXterra.But I don't post much,just alot of reading and learning. wink

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Thanks.

I love the pumpkin shot. The LA one is pretty damn nice, too. Where'd you take that? I'm itching to get back to LA, now that Griffith is open again.
Thanks for the comments Moby...

The LA shot was taken a few weeks ago from my buddy's balcony... He lives above Chinatown near downtown LA... BTW, that picture was taken without a tripod... I was surprised that it didn't come out blurry...

I, too, want to checkout the newly re-designed Griffith Observatory... Ya gotta have reservations to get up there... You can't drive up like before... They bus you in... I think it'll be like that until the public visitation demand drops off (hopefully by next summer)...

This guy has recently gone and took a few shots with his camera equipment... Linky: Tom Yi\'s Griffith Observatory Pics

- Air B

edit: Whadda think of having a Photography Forum here in XOC? I think there would be some interest in it... But that's just me, though...

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 08:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Here's a good forum to check out and get the answers to the questions. Canon forums.

- Air B laugh [/b]
I'm also on there as RIXterra.But I don't post much,just alot of reading and learning. wink [/b]
I hear ya... I'm doing more reading than posting myself... Like XOC, it's a great site for photography buffs (noobs, amatuers, experienced, & professional) like us... Good to see that I'm not alone in there... Hehhehehhee... See ya on that board!!!

- Air B
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/11/06 10:54 PM

If it were me, I'd look for an outgoing Rebel XT for a good price. Take the savings and invest in glass as others have mentioned. Trust me, you won't miss the extra 2 megapixels.

I've got an original Rebel (6 MP) and it produces outstanding prints, even at 11 x 14". Glass is key.

Also, don't be too quick to poo-poo the 18-55mm kit lens. It is usually put down by most folks as cheap (and really, it is to some degree), but I've taken some really awesome shots with the lens.

My all-time favorite lens (alas, I had to sell mine) from Canon, from a price/performance ratio, is the 70-200mm f/4L. Awesome glass that you can usually find used for around $500.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 06:50 AM

Yeaa Xorand, I am considering just that option. However it's my birthday in March, so maybe the XTI with the 18-55mm lense that comes with the kit will work until I get something a little nicer for my birthday.

My 7.1 megapixel G6 takes outstanding shots at any size, so I hear what you are saying about the 8 megapixel / 10 megapixel difference. But I'm guessing the XTI is going to phase out the XT eventually, so it would be nice to have the newer piece of kit.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 07:39 AM

Yup, the XTi is the successor/replacement for the XT. If I were in the same scenario, I'd tend to get the XTi and get some quality glass later on rather than picking up an XT for a discount and buying the glass now.

The bodies, as mentioned earlier in the thread, tend to depreciate over time, but glass holds its value.

Only reason I picked up my DRebel instead of the XT when I purchased is because the XT (and the XTi) have much smaller bodies than the original Rebel. The XT just didn't feel substantial enough in my hands. Matter of fact, I've since added a battery grip to the Rebel, so it's even bigger now. Tends to make it a bit bulky and inconvenient at times, though.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 09:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

- Air B laugh [/b]
I'm also on there as RIXterra.But I don't post much,just alot of reading and learning. wink [/b]
I hear ya... I'm doing more reading than posting myself... Like XOC, it's a great site for photography buffs (noobs, amatuers, experienced, & professional) like us... Good to see that I'm not alone in there... Hehhehehhee... See ya on that board!!!

- Air B

I like the glamour & nude section. :p

We need to start posting up X pics on there. wink

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 11:18 AM

I like the glamour & nude section. :p

We need to start posting up X pics on there. wink

Definately liked the G&N section... Hhehehehhe... To be honest, I was drawn more to the composition and lighting effects than the nakedness of the ladies... Go figure!!

As for putting up a few "landscape" shots with the X, I'm all for it... I'll see what I can dig up... If I find anything, i'll post it up ASAP... Hehhehehhe...

- Air B [Smoking]
Posted by: EnzoXterra

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 12:43 PM

I just went through the same dilemma, $1000 budget, wanting just one lense (for now) but with longer reach than the 18-55mm kit lense. I end up getting the D50 body, the new Nikon 18-135mm kit lense that came out with the D80, extra battery, and a camera bag for just under $1000. Now I just have to learn how to use all these new toys.
Posted by: hattrik21

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 02:15 PM

I'm looking at the Xti and D80 as well. I went and held both of them and I have small hands to begin with and to me the rebel felt tiny. I couldn't wrap all my fingers around it. I've heard adding the battery grip helps alot with this but no one seems to have both in stock. From what I've seen the Xti takes a little bit sharper pics but so far I'm leaning towards the D80 as it felt nice in my hand and it offers a few nice goodies like spot metering that the Xti doesn't.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 03:00 PM

Well I spoke to another Photographer friend. He suggested getting the XTI with the kit lens that comes with it, then picking up a Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 lens for under $80. Both lenses should give me something to play with before spending some bigger money on a quality zoom lense - like a Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 L for around $600 for my birthday.

I can get the XTI with a 4GB Flash card for under $900 on Newegg.com tax free. So I think I'm gonna go that route after payday (Tomorrow).

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 05:10 PM

Hey guys... Just got a few toys for my XTi... I thought I'd share them with ya'll...

Opteka Battery Grip - $75 @ Amazon.com:

Front View:

Back-Profile View:

Dual Battery Packs - 6xAAA Batteries or 2xBattery Packs:

I went with the "generic" version of this... I heard great reviews compared with the $160 Canon version... From what i've read, both battery grips are manufactured from the same company... Opteka sells them at $70 while Canon sell them for $160... And Hattrik, the battery grip does make a big difference on overall feel and handling... It's a little heavier, but feels "meaty"... It also gives the camera some balance when using a heavier zoom lens...

More pics to follow...

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 05:14 PM

Let's continue the photo-ops...

Attached to the XTi w/Canon 50mm Prime f/1.8 lens ($70):

Another View:

Back-Profile View:

Back View:

More to come...

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/11/06 05:34 PM

Here's the other "toy" I got today:

Cokin Z-Pro Filter Holder and Ring Adapters. I got the 77mm for my Tokina 12-24 lens and the 72mm for my Canon 28-135mm IS USM f/4-5.6 lens:

Cokin 77mm Ring Adapter to my Tokina 12-24mm lens:

Cokin Filter Holder slides down onto the ring adapter and lens:

Another View (I think I have the filter holder upside-down!! Hehehheehhe):

I ordered this set through Amazon.com as well... Comes out to a little bit over $105... I can't wait to get this thing up and running...

I haven't purchased any GND (gradual neutral density) filters yet... That's on my "to-do" list... I'm hoping to take fantastic landscape shots with this setup next spring when the wifey and I go on our Greece cruise!!! Until then I'll practice, practice, practice on getting quality shots... I'll post pics when I complete the set...

If you have any question on the equipment I just purchased or to "shoot the shit", reply back to this thread!!! Thanks everyone... PEACE!!!

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/11/06 09:14 AM

Looks awesome dude. Taken many shots with that 50mm lens? That is the same lens that a friend suggested I get straight off the bat.

So it's Pay Day and I'm going for the XTI Kit with the EF-S 18-55mm Lens. Plus the Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II Lens.

Total price inc. Shipping from Beachcamera.com = $836.99

Will pick up a 4GB Compact Flash card from Newegg.com for about $100. So that puts me in under the $1000 target, with some money so spare for a couple of UV filters.

Will be saving for the Canon EF 70-200mm F/4.0 or something similar for my birthday.
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/11/06 10:29 AM

I used my friends Drebel with vert grip and flash before. I thought it felt horribly unbalanced. The Drebel's cheap plastic body combined with the hefty battery filled grip and somewhat heavy lens wasn't a good feeling combo.

IMHO - I think Nikon's body construct is far superior to Canon in balance and durability.
Posted by: Xterrian

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/11/06 09:16 PM

I bought the Nikon D50 during my mid tour leave. I like it a lot. I have a 70-200 lens and the 18-55 that it comes with the kit. I want a wide angle, but can't afford one yet. I just borrow for now. It actually makes my photos look good.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/11/06 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrian:
I bought the Nikon D50 during my mid tour leave. I like it a lot. I have a 70-200 lens and the 18-55 that it comes with the kit. I want a wide angle, but can't afford one yet. I just borrow for now. It actually makes my photos look good.
IS that the 70-200 f2.8 VR? That baby has a pretty high MSRP...... $1500+. I want one.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 07:33 AM

Costco actually hada bundled package with the D80... It came with the body, kit lens (18-55mm), a zoom lens (70-300mm I think), 1GB card, and a camera bag for $1299... I saw it the other day when I was shopping with the wifey...

And KJ, the battery grip, IMHO, helps me with balance and such with my heavier lenses... My hands are not extra huge, but I does help me grip the entire camera more effectively... To me, personally, I like the overall feel of it... To each his own, right?! It's all good!!! laugh

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 08:20 AM

I paid the extra $$$ for 3 day shipping and ETA is tomorrow. Beachcamera.com are awesome, got the G6 from those guys 2 years ago and they still appear to have the service and awesome prices. Will be playing with it over the weekend.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 08:48 AM

Be sure to post pics.

If this is your first DSLR (sounds like it is), be aware that your images may at first look soft. Most people mistake this as a camera and/or lens flaw. However, Canon DSLR's have an additional IR cut filter in front of the sensor that tends to make the images a little softer.

Sometimes they look great, sometimes you think something is wrong. If you don't already have Photoshop, you should probably get a free version of PS Elements on your CD set with the camera. Run any images you think are soft through the Unsharp Mask Filter. Try settings of about 150/0.7/3 for a start. The images will look 100% better.

I ran into the same issue with my DRebel when I first got it. If you search the Photography on the Net forums for soft images, you'll find lots of references to this.

Remember, a DSLR assumes the user wants more control over the final image output and typically does not jack up the saturation and sharpness settings by default like a non-DSLR consumer camera does. There are in-camera custom parameters to let you overcome this seeming flaw. I tend to leave mine at a low contrast and sharpness setting, and a medium saturation setting, since I prefer to post-process most all of my images.

Here's a good example. This image was cropped and reduced for web display, but otherwise unprocessed:

Here's the same exact image with only a little Unsharp Mask applied:

Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 08:56 AM

the new Drebel Looks pretty nice. The only thing I couldnt get over with the older ones was the plastic body. The quality of photos were incredible.

I recently purchased a Canon 1D (oldie but goodie) for pretty cheap with really low actuations. I Love it. 8.5 frames per second rocks! Fully programable, fully sealed body and 45 point focus. Nice.

I'm selling my Canon D60 (6.2MP)w/ battery grip and tons of extras.
If anyone is interested feel free to PM me. smile

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
I recently purchased a Canon 1D (oldie but goodie) for pretty cheap with really low actuations. I Love it. 8.5 frames per second rocks!
Mmmm. Yummy. I'd love to get hold of an older 1D in good condition. I got to shoot this one at a ballgame a year or so ago (local AP Photographer). It was awesome, especially with the 500mm f/4 lens.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 09:12 AM

My what a large lens you have. [Spit]
Just a great feel to this camera. The body doesnt flex under your grip even with a larger lens, unlike most of the other canon bodies.

I was warned that once you go to the Canon 1 series, you never go back.
That is a so true. I dont even want to pick up the D60 anymore. Even though it has higher MP's and a built in flash. laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 09:18 AM

Xorand... Great tip for new users... Post-processing in usually necessary to get the picture(s) vibrant and detailed (just like the example you showed)... Thanks man!! And that 500m f/4L prime lens is absolutely sick!! If I had $7k to drop on a lens, that would probably be it... Hehheheheheh...

On a side note, I was on the POTN (photography-on-the-net) website and came across the "Show Me Your Camera Bag" thread... If you care to join in, please do so... Here's the crap that's inside my camera bag:

Pretty damn pathetic, eh?! Some of the people on that website have some serious gear in their bags!!! I'll get there... Someday... :rolleyes:

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 09:53 AM

I did the gear thing for a while, but financial reasons got in the way. At one point, I had the 18-55 kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/4L, and an 80-200mm Canon (that I picked up cheap in a pawn shop).

I've since sold them all off (I regret the 70-200mm sale) and now only have the kit lens and a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di II Macro 1:2 lens. It's a pretty nice lens, but suffers from the typical Tamron chromatic abberations (purple fringing on high contrast edges). But, it does OK for now.

One day, I'll get another 70-200mm f/4L and replace the kit lens with a better wide angle zoom in the same or similar range.

Most of my stuff is portrait work and sports shooting (daylight, mostly) other than general purpose snapshots and an occasional artistic outing or landscape stuff.

I love waterfalls. This one was done with the lowly kit lens at 4 seconds, f/10, ISO 100 at 28mm. I had two ND filters (0.2 and 0.4 IIRC) stacked on the lens.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 10:00 AM

Butchie, dont feel bad,
You have more (and better) lenses than I have.
I have the exact same bag and I love it. Just big enough to get the important stuff in, and small enough to take hiking and wheeling.

I havent taken any pix of my camera bag but it has the following:
Canon 1D w/ canon 35-135mm attached, two extra batteries, charger.
Tamron 100-300mm, Zenitar 14mm fisheye, hand full of filters, cleaning cloth and that's about it. Oh and I'm hopefully getting a canon 20-35mm lens from a fellow member of LINXC. wink

When I wasnt comfortable with the 1D, I was able to take the lens off and fit both bodies and all lenses in the same bag. Glad I only did that for a few feeks, it weighed a ton.

I need more lenses.
Anyone have some for sale?
I'm looking for pretty good wide-angles, 50mm, 35mm and a macro lens. Thanks. smile

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 10:03 AM

Awesome pic Xorand. The 70-200mm f/4L is the first Lense I hope to get early in the new year. I'll also probably invest in a flash before then. I plan on taking some photography classes offered by the Jewish temple my wife goes to - Just to learn a little more.

This is my first SLR. The Canon Powershot G6 I am upgrading from does have some pretty good control, but not nearly as much as the SLR.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 10:09 AM

Here's a little 70-200mm f/4L teaser, back in the day when I still owned one. Awesome, awesome contrast, sharpness and bokeh:

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 10:52 AM

Fantastic shots you got there Xorand... I'm looking forward to my 70-200mm f/4L delivery sometime later this week... Woo Hoo!!! I'm off to go pickup my Tamron 28-75mm at my local camera store!!! Hehhehehehe... I'll update my camera backup with the new glass... Hehehhehe...

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 01:50 PM

Woo Hoo... Just added another piece of glass to my collection...

Tamrom SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical IF Macro Lens - $400

A few sample shots straight-out-of-the-box - Zen Garden:

Can't wait to take it out for some real fun!!! Several people on the POTN board mentioned that it's up-to-par with its competitor lens, the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, but at a third of the cost (Canon lens runs around $1200!!!)... I'm completely happy with my purchase... Woo Hoo!!!

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 01:56 PM

Very nice. Looks like I might have found my short lens replacement. Excellent price for 2.8 glass.

Would like to see some good outdoor shots, high contrast scenes and such.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 01:58 PM

Quote:
Costco actually hada bundled package with the D80... It came with the body, kit lens (18-55mm), a zoom lens (70-300mm I think), 1GB card, and a camera bag for $1299... I saw it the other day when I was shopping with the wifey...

And [b]KJ
, the battery grip, IMHO, helps me with balance and such with my heavier lenses... My hands are not extra huge, but I does help me grip the entire camera more effectively... To me, personally, I like the overall feel of it... To each his own, right?! It's all good!!! laugh

- Air B[/b]
Awhile back, costco had a packaged D50 for like $799 with similar accessories.

I should have specificed - that I was using the original DRebel - the 300D. That thing was super cheap feeling - at least compared to my D70. I have't played with the XTi yet - so maybe they made improvements.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 02:06 PM

Congrats on the lens.
BTW. did you know there is a $30 Mail in rebate on that lens?
B&H listing for the lens and rebate popup

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 02:25 PM

Schweet!!! Thanks Salsa!!!

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 03:21 PM

I thought you knew about it. I guess your deal got even better. Sweet lens, even better price.
Nice! [ThumbsUp]
Can't wait to see what that lens is capable of outdoors.

I just started shooting in RAW format for better post processing of the photos. Damn it's sweet. I didnt realize how much more control you have over everything.
I highly recommend it, if you arent already.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 06:16 PM

I use Raw for anything really important (paying jobs, for example) or anything that I have my doubts about, exposure-wise. For example, indoors I use my old Vivitar flash mounted on the hotshoe (via a Wien SafeSync). Since it is not a TTL or ETTL flash, I have to manually dial in shutter/aperture/ISO close to what I think I'll need.

Later, in RAW, if I missed the exposure by a stop or two, I can adjust it and fix the problem. It's nice for correcting white balance issues, too.

Since we're sharing photos, here's one of my favorites from an outdoor portrait session that I had a blast doing. This was the first portrait session I did just after I got the DRebel, so it again was done with the venerable kit lens. 1/50th, f/5.6, ISO-100 @ 55mm.

Posted by: brian903

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 06:26 PM

I just got the Tamron also based on all the positive reviews I read. It's as good as everyone said, and oyu can't beat the price compared to the Canon L. I thought about the Canon but in the end was able to get the Tamron, the Canon 70-200 f/4 and the Tokina 12-24 for not a whole lot more than what the Canon alone cost.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by brian903:
I thought about the Canon but in the end was able to get the Tamron, the Canon 70-200 f/4 and the Tokina 12-24 for not a whole lot more than what the Canon alone cost.
Exactly... Sure it's an "L" lens, but shit... I can get 3 quality lenses (like the ones you listed) for the price of one... You've made the right choice Brian... I would have done the same...

So fellas... What RAW program are you guys using? I'm using Photoshop CS2 for all my post-processing... On the camera side, I set the configurations to record both the JPG and RAW image of each shot I take... Sure it takes alot of space, but with two 8GB CF cards I'm sure I can manage 500+ exposures per CF, no?! I doubt I'll ever do that many in one event... Never say never, though... Hehhehehhee...

Anyhoo, I left work early today to take the Tamron out for a quick spin... I'll post pics after I post-process them... Stay tuned!!

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 07:17 PM

I'm using Pixmantec Rawshooter Essentials . It is currently free, but that may change soon as Adobe has purchased Pixmantec's assets. The web page indicates that when Adobe Lightroom is released soon, Rawshooter will no longer be available.

At the very least, hurry and grab a copy for future use.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 07:52 PM

I am demo-ing Adobe Lightroom Beta. I really like it so far and makes my workflow faster. Go download it and check it out before it expires (I think in Jan 2007)

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 08:41 PM

I've been using the canon 1 series programs. The ones that require a serial number.
It's called Canon Digital Photo Professional.
It seems to do the trick for quick Raw changes, for major work I'll use Photoshop CS2.
Posted by: RReuscher

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 09:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I thought about the Canon but in the end was able to get the Tamron, the Canon 70-200 f/4 and the Tokina 12-24 for not a whole lot more than what the Canon alone cost.
Exactly... Sure it's an "L" lens, but shit... I can get 3 quality lenses (like the ones you listed) for the price of one... You've made the right choice Brian... I would have done the same...

So fellas... What RAW program are you guys using? I'm using Photoshop CS2 for all my post-processing... On the camera side, I set the configurations to record both the JPG and RAW image of each shot I take... Sure it takes alot of space, but with two 8GB CF cards I'm sure I can manage 500+ exposures per CF, no?! I doubt I'll ever do that many in one event... Never say never, though... Hehhehehhee...

Anyhoo, I left work early today to take the Tamron out for a quick spin... I'll post pics after I post-process them... Stay tuned!!

- Air B laugh [/b]
Excellent lens, I got one a few months ago, needed a good fast lens for pictures of my daugther's volleyball games. Lighting in the gyms leaves much to be desired for taking pictures.

I use Capture 1, great program. Both Mac and Windows versions, and the Windows version is almost as good as the Mac. smile Been using it since I got my 10D a few years ago. I've been playing with Aperture, just not familar with it yet, so haven't really formed an opinion on it yet.

Why take JPEG and RAW, what are you going to use the JPEG for? That's one thing I like about the 30D over the 10D is it allows you to eliminate the JPEG, this allows me to get about 500 shots on a 4GB card. Good enough to get through a soccer game, or a weekend campout with the scout troop.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/11/06 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RReuscher:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]I thought about the Canon but in the end was able to get the Tamron, the Canon 70-200 f/4 and the Tokina 12-24 for not a whole lot more than what the Canon alone cost.

- Air B laugh [/b]
Why take JPEG and RAW, what are you going to use the JPEG for? That's one thing I like about the 30D over the 10D is it allows you to eliminate the JPEG, this allows me to get about 500 shots on a 4GB card. Good enough to get through a soccer game, or a weekend campout with the scout troop.[/b]
RR... The 400D cannot record in RAW only format... The only options are "small", "medium", "large", and "large" + "raw" for image compression... Unless anyone knows how to have RAW only recording on the 400D, I guess this is the only option...

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 12:42 PM

Well my XTI was delivered this morning and $1000 of camera sits outside my house with no signature - Dumbass Fedex. Hopefully she is still there when the wife gets home shortly.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 01:25 PM

You gotta love that. UPS, FedEx and DHL all do that at my house. Nothing like a box sitting on your porch that screams "steal me".

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 01:33 PM

That sucks about the delivery to your house. I hope it was still there. eek
All of the big ticket items get sent to my office. I dont trust anything being left at my house. Too easy to walk off with.
At least if the box is destroyed or banged up, you can refuse delivery when they hand it to you.
Can't exactly do that if it's been sitting at your house for half the day.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 04:06 PM

Wife got home and the box was on the doorstep, not even hidden behind the trash can or out of sight. So much for the requirements all over Beachcamera.com's site saying that all deliveries must be signed for! lol. She advises everything is in good shape, the battery is on charge - so we should have a few sample shots hopefully this evening.
Posted by: p.i.n.o.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 04:25 PM

Sweet, let us know your impression of the XTi. I've been wanting a DSLR for a while but I'm a noob and can't decide on what would be a good starter camera.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 04:40 PM

I dunno if its been mentioned in this thread yet - but Nikon announced a new entry level DSLR recently....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0611/06111603nikond40handsonpreview.asp

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 05:36 PM

Not bad specs for a $600 camera with kit lens. Looks like a contender. Will be interesting to see if Canon volleys back.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 06:38 PM

Hmmm... That D40 sure looks pretty good for and entry level dSLR... And the price is just about right for all those features... And then some!!!

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 06:40 PM

Quote:
Wife got home and the box was on the doorstep, not even hidden behind the trash can or out of sight. So much for the requirements all over Beachcamera.com's site saying that all deliveries must be signed for! lol. She advises everything is in good shape, the battery is on charge - so we should have a few sample shots hopefully this evening.
Hey Rinky... Glad to hear that your package is fine!! Be sure to post some sample shots when you get a chance... I gotta do the same with the sample shots I took with the Tamron!! Be back soon!!!

- Air B [Wave]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 07:31 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... That D40 sure looks pretty good for and entry level dSLR... And the price is just about right for all those features... And then some!!!

- Air B [ThumbsUp]
Yeah - for that price - I might be able to overlook that my 50mm f1.8D will only be able to work as a manual focus.
[Freak]

I'm sure removing the focusing motor was a cost saving move, but this camera will surely grab Nikon more of the market share with entry level users. If those new users are happy - they will likely upgrade to a Nikon D??? in the future.

The mini SB-400 looks interesting too. I think it's compatible with the Nikon CLS system and if the price is right - I might pick one up. (only if its cheaper than the SB-600 at $190)

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
Not bad specs for a $600 camera with kit lens. Looks like a contender. Will be interesting to see if Canon volleys back.
Nikon and Canon have been sending volleys back and forth for years now. With each volley the bar gets set higher and the price for consumers get lower.

People like us benefit from these pretty evenly matched competition.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/11/06 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
[Nikon and Canon have been sending volleys back and forth for years now.
Yup. Canon had the ball in their court when I was purchasing. At the time, the lowest price Nikon DSLR was a D70 at about $1,200 w/kit lens. The DRebel was about $900. In my case, Canon won that serve.

Hard to say which camera I'd have if I had waited about 3 months later when the D50 came out.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 17/11/06 01:32 PM

Took a few pics last night with the new camera, need to get a good UV filter for the Kit lens, I already had a nice Hoya UV filter for the 50mm lens.

Any of you guys use CF Microdrives for storage, or do those suckers use to much battery power compared to solid state CF Memory? Just wondered because there are alot of 6Gb Seagate CFII Microdrives available on Ebay for like $50, which seems like a pretty good deal

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 17/11/06 02:45 PM

I know the UV filter issue is similar to the round vs. square headlight issue here. Personally, I don't bother putting them on my lenses, but you're welcome to your own opinion. On the other hand, I rarely shoot in conditions in which a protective filter might benefit (blowing sand, surf, etc.).

I use only solid-state flash memory myself. Yeah, I was looking at the Seagate microdrives today at Fry's. 6G's were around $70. I'm just leary of something that tiny being fragile for some reason. Battery drain wouldn't be as much an issue with me since I use a battery grip. Still, I'm just afraid of failure ruining a whole day's (or worse yet, a whole vacation's) pictures for me.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 06:36 AM

Rinky... To re-iterate what Xorand states; Unless you're really in harsh elements that will blow debris and such on your lens (like the beach or a windy day in Chicago), you normally would not need a UV filter... A "flower-shaped" hood lens will be sufficient enough to block out unwanted stray light coming into your camera

Now, if you are going to get one for "protective" purposes, stick with the top manufacturers like Hoya (Pro Line Series), B+W, and Heliopan... Don't you EVER buy the ones made by Quantaray (ie. Buy 3 get 1 free at Ritz Camera Stores)... Quantaray uses cheap plastics/glass with the results of losing about 15-20% of image quality... If you're gonna buy one, ante up the $$$ and get one from the manufacturers I mentioned above...

As for microdrives, IMHO, I wouldn't take that route... To many moving parts in there which increases "wear-and-tear" on it... On top of which, they don't write as fast (when shooting in "burst" mode) as a highspeed CF card... Just stick with the CF cards... I purchased two Transcend 8GB 120x CF cards from Fry's @ $139/each... If you don't have a Fry's store near you, go online and search for "Transcend"... It should be there... If you're gonna go in the 2GB/4GB capacity range, check your local electronic stores... They usually have weekly sales on them... That storage range is creeping up to the "standard" size capacity range for most of todays high megapixel digital cameras (SLR's and P&S)...

- Air B [Smoking]
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 07:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Don't cheap on your lenses. That's my recommendation to you. Get the best lens you can. The cameras will always drop fast in price, but a good lens is like a porsche. They simply don't drop in value until they are very abused, and then they are considered "classic". Cheap lenses may never make it to the point where you want to sell them. I had a Sigma zoom lens that the zoom unscrewed inside the camera. It was held on by a piece of transparent tape. While I have had an old push pull 80-200 2.8 zoom lens that is so heavy the lens mount wore out to the point where it wouldn't keep good contact with the camera, sent it in, and they replaced the lens mount and it'll be good as new soon. It's over 10 years old, and it's probably taken 30,000 photos.

x2

The lens makes the shot.[/b]
No, the photographer makes the shot. wink

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Don't skimp on the lenses. Get one good lens.
x2

No, the photographer makes the shot. wink [/b]
And a good lens makes that shot better (quality-wise). wink

I've seen some pretty crummy shots from an aesthetic or compositional perspective taken from $4k camera bodies with $5k lenses. I've also seen some stunning photos taken with 3MP point-and-shoot cameras. However, when it comes to the technical quality of the images, the former wins in almost every case.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 10:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
x2

I've seen some pretty crummy shots from an aesthetic or compositional perspective taken from $4k camera bodies with $5k lenses. I've also seen some stunning photos taken with 3MP point-and-shoot cameras. However, when it comes to the technical quality of the images, the former wins in almost every case.

Yeah, you're right, but I wanted to rant about all the people who see a great shot and immediately ask, "What kind of camera do you use?" Like it composed the shot itself or something. laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right, but I wanted to rant about all the people who see a great shot and immediately ask, "What kind of camera do you use?" Like it composed the shot itself or something. laugh
I knew that. laugh

I used to get that a lot even when I was using my old HP 4MP p/s camera.

Example:

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 12:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
quote:
x2

Oh, I don't disagree with that.

But a Nikon lens is going to give a much better picture than a Quantaray.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 12:54 PM

Quote:

As for microdrives, IMHO, I wouldn't take that route... To many moving parts in there which increases "wear-and-tear" on it... On top of which, they don't write as fast (when shooting in "burst" mode) as a highspeed CF card... Just stick with the CF cards... I purchased two Transcend 8GB 120x CF cards from Fry's @ $139/each... If you don't have a Fry's store near you, go online and search for "Transcend"... It should be there... If you're gonna go in the 2GB/4GB capacity range, check your local electronic stores... They usually have weekly sales on them... That storage range is creeping up to the "standard" size capacity range for most of todays high megapixel digital cameras (SLR's and P&S)...

- Air B [Smoking]
To add to that - some cameras don't play well with microdrives. I assume the new ones are fine, but my D100 refused to work with the microdrive I bought.

Frys - www.frys.com or www.outpost.com

Amazon sometimes comes in at a better price than Fry's.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 08:17 PM

I have a 2.2 gig hitachi microdrive and it is slow when it comes to burst mode.
It was pretty bad with the D60 at 3.5fps.
Now with the 1D it is pretty painful with 8.5fps.

I will be buying two or three of the high end sandisk ultra 2 gig CF cards from Costco for around $70 each. For now I'm using a 512 CF sandisk Ultra card.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/11/06 09:17 PM

One more thing against Microdrives, they don't like cold weather. Last year's Winter Camp at Big Bend it didn't get all that cold (night time lows in the lower 30's), but the microdrive wouldn't work in the mornings until they got warmed up (tent camping so no place to keep the camera warm overnight). The camera would just shutoff after the taking the picture when it was trying to write out the data to the microdrive. The CF cards didn't have any problems with those temperatures, and they weren't even the Sandisk Extreme's. I still have the microdrive, but only use it in warm temperature's, and only when I fill up the 4GB CF card. Looking for another 4 or 8GB at a good price but so far Fry's only been running ad's for the 2GB cards. This should change since Christmas is coming up, there should be some good sales on the larger CF cards, there have been the last couple of years.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/11/06 09:57 AM

Amazon just shipped my Opteka battery grip, same one you got airbutchie. I also invested in a 430EX flash. Now the wife will kill me if I spend any more this side of Christmas, unless we win big at the Christmas Party again this year smile So I have to wait on the Canon 75-200 F4 until my birthday in March.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/11/06 10:18 AM

Hehehhehehheh... Great purchases there my friend... You won't regret the battery grip and flash...

Anyhoo... Just to add to the discussion... Here's a few pics I took this past weekend while my wifey and I were putting up our xmas decorations... Enjoy:

edit: Digital Rebel XTi|Canon 50mm f1.8|ISO 100|430EX Flash

- airbutchie

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/11/06 07:45 PM

I could almost tell those were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 before I scrolled down. Guess how I knew?

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/11/06 09:23 PM

Quote:
I could almost tell those were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 before I scrolled down. Guess how I knew?
The awesome bokeh I created?! Hehhehehhehe... How Xorand?

- Air B :rolleyes:

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 01/12/06 02:07 PM

Of course the fuckers at Slickdealz.net post the XTI Kit (which I got 2 weeks ago) for $535 today. About $300 less than I paid.

So for anyone wanting a nice camera at a cheap ass price, from a well respected source - Dell.com. Go to slickdealz.net and follow the link.
Posted by: p.i.n.o.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 01/12/06 09:57 PM

Quote:
Of course the fuckers at Slickdealz.net post the XTI Kit (which I got 2 weeks ago) for $535 today. About $300 less than I paid.

So for anyone wanting a nice camera at a cheap ass price, from a well respected source - Dell.com. Go to slickdealz.net and follow the link.
The $535 deal is for the XT kit, not the XTi. That's still a good price though. Here are the details:

Quote:
Dell Home has Black or Silver Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 MP Digital Camera (body only) for $799 - auto 15% off - 10% coupon = $611. $599 if you pay using Dell Preferred Account. Thanks Selma

Black or Silver Digital Rebel XT Camera with 18-55mm lens for $699 - auto 15% off - $10% coupon = $535. Pay with your Dell Preferred Account to save 2% more making it $524.

Black Canon Digital Rebel XT (body only) is available for $599 - auto 15% off - 10% coupon = $458 or $449 if you pay with Dell Preferred Account. Silver version is also available

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 01/12/06 10:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I could almost tell those were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 before I scrolled down. Guess how I knew?
The awesome bokeh I created?! Hehhehehhehe... How Xorand?

- Air B :rolleyes: [/b]
That's part of it. The aperature in the 50mm f/1.8 has five blades, thus the five-sided pentagon look to the lights in the background. Most lenses have seven or eight blades, giving a more rounded look to the out of focus areas. Nothing bad, mind you, as it provides some interesting effects at times.
Posted by: NismoXse02

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 03/12/06 04:50 PM

I'm glad this topic came up. We are getting the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8MP camera. I don't know how much space an 8MP picture takes, but is a 512MB memory card enough? How many pictures will that hold at best quality? confused

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 03/12/06 05:32 PM

Count on an average of about 4 Megs per highest-quality JPEG. That is an average, of course. Scenes with more detail, such as a picture out in the woods full of trees, will take up to 7 or 8 MB each, depending.

If you shoot RAW, count on about 8-10 MB a picture.

I have a Digital Rebel (300D - 6 MP) and carry six 512MB cards. I usually get around 140 high quality JPEGs or about 70-75 RAW images on a card. Scale your results by about 3/4 (seeing as how your images will be about 4/3rd the size of mine.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 10:22 AM

Nismo... If you've got the cash, you may want to purchase, at a minimum, a 1GB card... 2GB would be better... Nonetheless, the 512MB card would probably hold about 507 JPEGS and 109 RAW format pictures... Linky here: Megapixel Calculator

Of course you have to factor in how detailed the picture composition is... But the figure above is probably a "guess-timate" at best...

Lastly, a few pics I took with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens I purchased last month... Enjoy...

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - "Flower Power"

- Air B

edit: pictures were taken indoors, at nite, with fluorescent (sp?) lighting, hand held... No flash used... EXIF file is attached to the picture if you want to see the details of the composition...

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 10:28 AM

I got a 2Gb card with my 10mp XTI from NewEgg. Way cheaper than buying what the online site - Beachcamera.com where I got the camera had to offer.

Sandisk UltraII 2Gb $71.99: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820171051

Seems to be fast enough for my needs too. I plan on a 2nd one in the near future.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 11:10 AM

I just scooped up a few 1 gig Sandisk Ultra II CF cards from Sandisk a couple days ago.
$22.99 each.. ROCK! And a 1 gig SD card for $14.99 for my girlfriend P&S camera.
Now they are back to normal prices. Go figure.

If anyone is interested, my D60 is officially on ebay. linky
I will give a good discount to a fellow X'er if interested. [ThumbsUp]

Edited to add..
It's not all about the megapixel. My camera is only a 4.1MP. laugh
If I shoot on RAW they can be anywhere between 4-11 meg. each. More than adequate for any prints.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 11:32 AM

Salsa - you might want to improve the English in a couple spots on your auction...

"I can also answer any question that you may have"

- should be "questions"

There are also a couple places where "camera" should be pluralized to "cameras" - like here:
"Anyone that knows camera, knows Pelican cases." - that ought to be "Anyone who knows cameras knows Pelican cases."

Just trying to help smile

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 12:27 PM

Quote:
Salsa - you might want to improve the English in a couple spots on your auction...

"I can also answer any question that you may have"

- should be "questions"

There are also a couple places where "camera" should be pluralized to "cameras" - like here:
"Anyone that knows camera, knows Pelican cases." - that ought to be "Anyone who knows cameras knows Pelican cases."

Just trying to help
LOL. I typed it up late last night and it took forever and a day to upload the pix. Ugh.
I'll fix it up later tonight. Thanks for the grammar lesson. laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 01:19 PM

Quote:
I got a 2Gb card with my 10mp XTI from NewEgg. Way cheaper than buying what the online site - Beachcamera.com where I got the camera had to offer.

Sandisk UltraII 2Gb $71.99: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820171051

Seems to be fast enough for my needs too. I plan on a 2nd one in the near future.
Ah...but you can do even better right now...

$44.99 at Amazon right now

(Which is actually cheaper than the 1GB at Amazon.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/06 01:31 PM

Yeaa - I have one on my Amazon wish list. Along with the 70-200 f/4 USM lens and a bunch of other goodies. Damn cheap for a 2Gb CF card, but I'll see if anyone gets it for me for Christmas / Hannukah first.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 08/12/06 01:45 PM

Bump Bump... So Big Yella doesn' have to look very far for info on a lens for his Rebel XT...

- Air B [Too much XOC]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 08/12/06 03:20 PM

To add to that bump - that Amazon link - the 2GB card is now $39.99!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 08/12/06 03:40 PM

Quote:
Nismo... If you've got the cash, you may want to purchase, at a minimum, a 1GB card... 2GB would be better... Nonetheless, the 512MB card would probably hold about 507 JPEGS and 109 RAW format pictures... Linky here: [b] Megapixel Calculator

Of course you have to factor in how detailed the picture composition is... But the figure above is probably a "guess-timate" at best...

Lastly, a few pics I took with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD lens I purchased last month... Enjoy...

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - "Flower Power"

- Air B

edit: pictures were taken indoors, at nite, with fluorescent (sp?) lighting, hand held... No flash used... EXIF file is attached to the picture if you want to see the details of the composition...[/b]
Butchie,
Your focus seems soft on these shots. Do you find it difficult for the Tamron to get a good lock? That's always been a shortcoming of Tamron.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 08/12/06 06:14 PM

It depends on the lighting... Like the flower pictures I posted, the only light in that room was coming from a 60W lightbulb (in a makeshift chandeller) about 6 feet above it... In addition, it's been a tested fact that Tamrons have a little difficulty on focusing in dim lighting situations... I'm sure if the flower arrangement was in sunlight, It wouldn't be so soft... But that's the quirks you get with most lenses... The amount of light we definately have an effect on the picture...

Now here's a little post-processing in PS... Just did a quick "unsharp masking" on the image and the results are shown below:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Any difference? I'd say "yes", but I'll you guys decide... Hhehehheheheh... Still a great lens, though...

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 08/12/06 06:39 PM

Don't forget, too, that the depth of field in those pictures is a mere fraction of an inch. With the depth of the subject matter, only a small portion of the flowers will be in sharp focus.

The USM doesn't hurt, either.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 19/12/06 07:43 PM

Just got my wife the Rebel XT courtesy of Dell and coupons making it 25% off. I also got a 120x 2GB CF card from buy.com for $30 using google checkout.

Quick question for those who have this camera... can you use your lcd screen to see what you're taking pictures of instead of looking through the view finder? Right now, we're reading through the manual and haven't come across anything that says you can. This was the first thing I noticed. confused

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 19/12/06 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:

Quick question for those who have this camera... can you use your lcd screen to see what you're taking pictures of instead of looking through the view finder? Right now, we're reading through the manual and haven't come across anything that says you can. This was the first thing I noticed. confused
No.

There are several reasons why a DSLR will not do that.

1) There is a mirror between the sensor and the lens. This mirror allows the viewfinder to work. When the mirror is in the down position, it blocks the line of sight between the lens and the sensor.

2) the sensor is off when not taking an image. That ensures that it doesnt heatup. A "hot" sensor will produce more noise.

3) Its usually better to actually put your eye actually up to the viewfinder. This allows you to compose better shots thru the viewfinder and your cheek acts as a stabilizer for less camera shake. How many times do you see people holding a digital camera at arms length and then complain about blury photos? Well duh..... your hands will be more stable the closer you hold them to your body. The "nose stabilizer" rules!

4) Speed. Ever wonder why a standard p&s camera has such a long delay from the time you press the button to the time it actually takes the shot. Ever miss a shot because of this lag? Notice that your new DSLR has almost NO lag whatsoever?

To date, only one DSLR can have a real-time running LCD. That is the Olympus evolt. It dodges #1 and #2 cause it has TWO sensors. One for real-time preview on the LCD and one to actually take the photo.

REad this for a better explanation: http://www.xanga.com/PhotoSavant/358046048/item.html

Also - you will notice that your DSLR, does not record videos like a cheap P&S can. This is because the sensor is "off" when not taking pics.

One more thing....

Quote:
The single-lens reflex (SLR) is a type of camera that uses a movable mirror placed between the lens and the film to project the image seen through the lens to a matte focusing screen. Most SLRs use a roof pentaprism or pentamirror to observe the image via an eyepiece,
Quote:
The cross-section (side-view) of the optical components of an SLR shows how the light passes through the lens assembly (1), is reflected by the mirror (2) and is projected on the matte focusing screen (5). Via a condensing lens (6) and internal reflections in the roof pentaprism (7) the image appears in the eyepiece (8). When an image is taken, the mirror moves in the direction of the arrow, the focal plane shutter (3) opens, and the image is projected onto the film or sensor (4) in exactly the same manner as on the focusing screen.

This feature separates SLRs from other cameras, as the photographer sees the image composed exactly as it will be captured on the film or sensor (see Advantages below).
Source: wikipedia

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 19/12/06 09:37 PM

Thanks for the explanation KJ. All good stuff to know. We will obviously be using the viewfinder, I was just wondering if there was a way to use the lcd in case we were taking some quick pictures. It's not that important, but glad I didn't worry about trying to figure it out since it doesn't exist. Thanks again. [Wave]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 07:15 AM

BTW, do you have any tripod recommendations for the Rebel XT? Nothing expensive, but something that's durable, gets the job done and won't break/fall apart.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 07:44 AM

Bogen 718B Digi Tripod

(I'd never touch anything available at Wal-Mart/Best Buy/etc - meaning Velbon, Sunpak, etc)

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 09:47 AM

I'd stick with anying Bogen, Manfrotto and Slik.

I 2nd Mobycat about staying away from anything at Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

I've been using a Dynatran I purchased from ebay 2 years ago. I wanted something durable and "pro" level with a grip head, but I didn't want to spend hundreds on a pro tripod.

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2340

Dynatrans are a knockoff brand, that sells for 1/3 the cost of the pro brands. They wouldn't hold up to pro level abuse (I'm sure), but work just fine for an enthusiast like me.

I also have owned a Slik U8000 since the late 90's. I picked it up at my local camera store (since bought out by wolf camera). I'd recommend this slik. It's light, fairly portable and good quality. Good price too - I see it's selling for around $40 at the moment.

http://www.adorama.com/SLU8000.html?sid=1166636976516767

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 10:00 AM

Hey KJ, I got a new toy for Xmas from the GF. I can put away the D100. I now have a spanking brand new D80! Woohoo!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 10:51 AM

Quote:
Hey KJ, I got a new toy for Xmas from the GF. I can put away the D100. I now have a spanking brand new D80! Woohoo!
Nice gift! I want a D80 to replace my D70. Same guts as the D200, but jammed into a D70 size.

How is the built quality difference? The D100 is supposed to be more stout and "pro" durability whereas the D80 is comsumer level. Do you notice any difference in quality and construction?

I asked Carlton once which he prefers and he said he would rather get a used D100 than a current D80. Even though the D80 has newer tech, the D100 is just built better.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 11:06 AM

Not sure. I've actually not had time to play with it. Going to tonight.

A couple small things out of the box I prefer:

D80 - multiple exposure, color rendition (more saturated - personal preference)

D100 - mechanical bulb capable

(Now I *really* don't need the N6006 I have. I also have an FM10 (plastic galore). I'll probably hold on to the FM10, simply because it doesn't need any batteries to operate, should I be stupid enough to run through an EL3 (if it's even possible with the shooting I do).

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 11:20 AM

Quote:
should I be stupid enough to run through an EL3 (if it's even possible with the shooting I do).
Go pickup a generic brand backup battery on ebay for a few bucks.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 11:23 AM

Quote:
N

D100 - mechanical bulb capable
My D70 takes an IR based remote in the place of the cable release. That's how I do "bulb" shots. Press the remote once to open the shutter and use some manual timer (aka. stop watch) and then press it again to shut the shutter when the time has passed. I read somewhere that since its IR based, you could grab any universal TV remote and set it to the proper frequency and use that too. I'm not sure, but I think your D80 might have that "bonus feature" too.

The remote is great for group shots when you want to be in the shot too.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 01:12 PM

I just picked up a Canon 20D.

Came with these lenses:
Canon 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F5.6

So far my best shot is this one with the set up I've gotten.

I'm really enjoying my camera but want to learn so much more about it. The manual is...ok...but if you don't understand what they're talking about...you have no clue.

I saw the link for the canon forums and registered, there will be a lot of time spent on there reading and learning.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/12/06 08:11 PM

Excellent pic, Cornick. It works so well in B/W, too.

I've kinda been shopping around for a slightly used 20D so I can relegate my Digital Rebel (300D) to backup status.

Probably won't be until spring/summer now, though. Kid in college, all that stuff.
Posted by: sonnyc

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 22/12/06 10:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cornick:
[QB]I just picked up a Canon 20D.

Came with these lenses:
Canon 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F5.6

Nice camera. I have the same one for a year and 1/2 now and love it.

You can pick up an extra battery at Sterlingtek for cheap.
Just use code SH123FREE for free shipping if you pick up 3 or more.
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

I echo airbutchie's comment on the Tokina 12-24. Great lens, even though I don't use it much but when I do, it's really fun. Lens collection is getting me broke smile

btw, I'm on POTN too as 4x4rock.

Here's a pic with the 12-24

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 22/12/06 12:12 PM

Wow its so funny to read this post...sounds like what I just went through the past months since I had my Canon G6 for 2 years and decided to upgrade to a Dslr. Looked hard at the new Canon Xti, but decided to drop a lil more cash on the Nikon D80 for some better features and over quality I feel. And the lens is the reason I went with Nikon and not Canon.

I got the D80 for $929 and then went with the AMAZING 18-200mm Nikkor lens ($899 alone for the lens too, ouch!) I know the price is high, but I did this instead of buying 2 or 3 different pieces of glass which would add up to the same price I feel. Best thing is (since my hands shake a lot) it has VR - i.e. "Vibration Reduction" and really helps when Im shooting without a tripod (which is often).

Only had it two weeks now, but messing around with it...just shot this pic below yesterday of my antenna topper with the new D80.

Happy Holidays!

P.S. - I bought my old G6 and my new D80 through: www.buydig.com

It shipped super fast and they have pretty decent prices (I dont get anything for promoting them, trust me...but I just know they are top notch the 2 times I ordered from them). Ritz camera etc will charge more if you just want the warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing you can take it right back to the brick and mortar store, but I wanted to save some $$ since the damn lens cost as much as the camera! wink

I know there are a lot of Canon fans here, but two great write-ups of the D80 and the 18-200mm VR lens are here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

All my daily pics below for 2006 (in my sig website below) were with my Canon G6...that camera isn't small either, but it does rock!

Sorry for the longer post, Im just happy not to the the only photo geek that drives an Xterra laugh haha

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 22/12/06 12:23 PM

Quote:
I've kinda been shopping around for a slightly used 20D so I can relegate my Digital Rebel (300D) to backup status.

Probably won't be until spring/summer now, though. Kid in college, all that stuff.
B&H has a bunch of really cheap lightly used 20D's and even a 30D for under $1k.
If you are looking to spend just over $1k, then look into a used 1D.
Best photography purchase I've made so far..

Anyone interested in a lightly used D60 with battery grip? smile I dont need a backup.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 22/12/06 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sonnyc:
[QB][QUOTE]Originally posted by cornick:
[QB]I just picked up a Canon 20D.

Came with these lenses:
Canon 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6
Sigma 70-300mm F5.6

Nice camera. I have the same one for a year and 1/2 now and love it.

You can pick up an extra battery at Sterlingtek for cheap.
Just use code SH123FREE for free shipping if you pick up 3 or more.
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

I echo airbutchie's comment on the Tokina 12-24. Great lens, even though I don't use it much but when I do, it's really fun. Lens collection is getting me broke smile

btw, I'm on POTN too as 4x4rock.

Here's a pic with the 12-24

I have an extra one. But how can those things be $12? I should get a couple extra because I want to buy the grip as well.

And oh yea, I'm on that board as well as well the only screen name I've had.... cornick smile

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 22/12/06 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
If you are looking to spend just over $1k, then look into a used 1D.
That's my other option, and another reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a 20D/30D yet.
Posted by: sonnyc

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 22/12/06 06:18 PM

Originally posted by cornick:
I have an extra one. But how can those things be $12? I should get a couple extra because I want to buy the grip as well.

And oh yea, I'm on that board as well as well the only screen name I've had.... cornick smile

Yeah I was surprise how cheap they are too compare to the Canon.

With 2000mA, there's a lot of juice. I've been using it for about 100 shots so far without issues. Super fast free shipping with USPS too.

I also have the grip and with 2 of these, I can go all day.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 23/12/06 07:18 AM

Wow... This thread has grown in the past several days... I'm really glad to see the "Photogs" come out in our XOC family... Whether it's Nikon or Canon, we are all after the same thing... A great picture to share with everyone... I'm sure we'll start seeing quite a few Christmas pics from our dSLR toys... I know I'll be posting a few... Hehehheehe...

- Air B laugh

PS. Cornick, I replied to your email... Check it out when you've get a chance... PEACE!!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 23/12/06 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'm really glad to see the "Photogs" come out in our XOC family... Whether it's Nikon or Canon, we are all after the same thing... A great picture to share with everyone...
x2

While we're at it, if you have an on-line gallery anywhere, post a link (I know some folks have a link in their profile, so indicate if so).

Here\'s Mine

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/12/06 01:43 AM

here is mines:: http://www.kjdragon.smugmug.com/

[shameless plug] Open your own smugmug Account! Use my referral Code 55dPrGid0hKYc and get $5 off your initial subscription fee!! {end shameless plug]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/12/06 08:35 AM

Xorand,
That is a nice simple site you have set up. I've been meaning to do the same.
Beautiful pix too..

Did you make the site yourself or is it offered by a picture hosting service, like the one that
KJDragon posted?

I have over 15 gig of photos that havent been posted or organized for that matter.

Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.
I am not a web designer.
Thanks! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/12/06 02:15 PM

Pbase allows you to set up your pages however you like. By default, it looks pretty much like my non-linked pages (i.e. the individual picture galleries). You can add cascading style sheet code to each page to customize it how you want it and so forth, so you can really make it fancy, or just keep it simple.

It's $23 a year (payable via Paypal, if you wish) for 400 Meg of storage. While that doesn't sound like a lot, initially, remember that most smart people downsize their images before posting them (so the simple resizing routines on Pbase don't massacre your photos, and so that nobody downloads your originals).

Right now, my stats show that I have 1,010 images online and I'm only using 176 Megs (less than 1/2 ) of my storage. They usually up the storage (for the same price) about once a year or so. When I joined about 16 months ago, they had just changed from 200 Megs to 300 Megs, then, just before I renewed in August, they had upped the 300 to 400. Still only $23 a year.

The best part I like is that they don't have popups, etc. and you can directly link original, medium or small images anywhere (like I do here). Linking an image is as simple as displaying the image in your browser, copy the URL and paste it in your target, adding .JPG to the end of it.

They also give pretty good stats on your profile page, so you can see how many hits you've had. They're also working on adding facilities to allow you to sell your prints directly on your pages.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/12/06 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sonnyc:
[b]Originally posted by cornick:

Yeah I was surprise how cheap they are too compare to the Canon.

With 2000mA, there's a lot of juice. I've been using it for about 100 shots so far without issues. Super fast free shipping with USPS too.

I also have the grip and with 2 of these, I can go all day.[/b]
I've had these batteries for a little more than a year now (they were only 1800mAh then). They lasted me almost (the two in a grip) a week last year at the Big Bend trip before I had to recharge them as we started our return trip home. They are all I use now, and easily run the entire weekend on campouts (that's with no flash, I use an external flash with 2650 NiMH rechargeables that also last the entire weekend on one charge). There's supposed to be a new hybrid technology for NiMH rechargeables, that are supposed to store power much longer when just sitting around, to make using rechargeables easier and not have to charge them up just before you use them. I read about them somewhere a couple of days ago, and saw them in Walmart yesterday. I picked up a couple to test them out, they are only 2500mAh, so they are not as powerful as my current favorite rechargeables, but if they have a better shelf life they could be a lot easier to use.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 25/12/06 01:19 AM

Things that I like about smugmug.

$39/ yr. Unlimited space to upload photos. Right now, I have over 15GB (that's 15 gigabytes!)of jpgs stored on my site in lots of different galleries. The layout is somewhat customizeable at my current subscription - but if I want, I can go up to a pro account and get more layout - custom passwords - charge for downloads and charge when people order prints, so I can collect any profits from the sale of shots that I take. Not really useful for me right now, but if I choose to try and sell my photos someday, I can. For every referal I find, I get a $10 credit to my next yrs subscription - so 3 referals and I get a free year.

I allow people to download the original jpgs from me (mostly) cause I use my site to share photos with my friends and people from church. I recently discovered that smugmug will give non-profit orgs a free pro account, so I set one up for my church to store church related event photos. If you know of any non-profits who could use this service (church, boy scouts, xterra clubs, toys for tots, etc) here is the contact: http://www.smugmug.com/help/non-profit-free-accounts

Smugmug is one of the few online services that allows my friends to download the original file size/quality. I can turn this off if I choose on a gallery by gallery basis.

No pop-ups or adds, makes it easier for my guests to surf. Reasonably fast display speeds.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 25/12/06 04:52 AM

I work for a hosting provider, so I just use a regular hosting account, then install a script like Coppermine or Gallery. My coppermine script is throwing errors on the homepage right now, which I have to try and fix.

My daughters site uses Gallery: http://www.jholgate.com/gallery

We use that site to share pictures of our daughter with my family back home in England. They can download the original size etc. Plus Gallery has an awesome upload tool called 'Gallery Remote' which installs on your computer and is a simple Drag / Drop interface for uploading files and creating new albums etc.

I just registered xtisite.com, which will be my main photo site for pics taken with my Rebel XTI, once I get it up and running.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 26/12/06 06:29 PM

In the Killer Bees Thread, I noticed he said he used a Rebel XT with a 28-135IS lens. From the pictures, it looks like it's a good one. Would you "pros" agree?

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 27/12/06 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
In the Killer Bees Thread, I noticed he said he used a Rebel XT with a 28-135IS lens. From the pictures, it looks like it's a good one. Would you "pros" agree?
the 28-135 IS is not considered a "pro" lens - both in optics and construction. It's probably a high end comsumer level lens. Maybe "prosumer" level. But I can't name many pros who typically carry one.

Then again, mated to an XT is probably ok - since the XT is not a "pro" body anyways.

If you only had room for one lens - the 28-135 isn't a bad choice. Probably well suited for travel, although if you take alot of indoor party pics - 28mm will not be enough for a cropped DSLR sensor. On the zoom end, 135mm is pretty good - especially on a cropped sensor.

Personally, I'm waiting for Canon to come out with their version of the Nikon 18-200VR (MSRP $800). For a "do everything" lens - the Nikon is pretty good and is a popular choice for travel amongst Nikonians. And if you only had room for one lens - that'd be a good one to pick.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/01/07 09:52 PM

Hey hey hey...

Reviving an old thread for the photogs here in XOC... I took these shots here in "chilly" SoCal this morning...

1 of 2 sets:

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/01/07 09:56 PM

2 of 2 sets:

bbbbuuuuuurrrrrrrrr

I'll post more soon... Enjoy!!

- Air B laugh

edit: the exif are attached to each image if you want to see details of the composition...
Posted by: Andre the Giant

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/01/07 08:15 AM

We purchased our Canon XTI a few days before Christmas. I've been learning the features, but so far we've used it as a glorified point-and-shoot. Still, I can already do more with it than our old Yashica FR-1 35mm camera. We have put our other 35mm setup, a Minolta Maxxum with extra lenses on ebay.

We are letting our finances recover a bit before we buy extra lenses, etc.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/01/07 08:52 AM

Awesome pics. I'm heading to the Barret Jackson car auction later so might get some nice pics of some sweet rides.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/01/07 06:54 PM

My favorite pic from the last week or so. I just love action shots. (Posted a little large to bring out all the cool detail).

Technical information:
Canon Digital Rebel (300D) 6MP
Canon 18-55mm kit lens at 55mm
1/400s, ISO400, f/7.1

I had it on Av mode (my usual shooting mode) and had accidentally rolled the wheel earlier, which upped the f/stop from my usual 3.5-4.0, so my shutter speed was a little slower than I would've liked, but it still worked well.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 17/01/07 03:54 PM

Here's a mod for you brave Rebel owners: http://personales.ya.com/javier_laina/ARTICULOS/FILTRO/filtro350deng.html
Posted by: warlock

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/01/07 05:36 PM

I'm really glad to see the "Photogs" come out in our XOC family... Whether it's Nikon or Canon, we are all after the same thing... A great picture to share with everyone...

Here are some of my pics DonnieandJemie

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/01/07 06:50 PM

Nice-looking work, warlock. I like the gallery, too. Pretty neat stuff.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 25/01/07 05:17 AM

Thanks. I accidentally found the site its origin is in japan. The only thing is it only allows 20mb of up each month.
Im trying to upload some of my nice pics there to kinda build a online portfolio.

Thanks

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 25/01/07 08:41 AM

Since XOC is my "extended" family, here's my photog webpage for ya'll to view...

Air B\'s Photog Webpage!!!

- Butch laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 25/01/07 05:44 PM

I actually still owe you guys a comparison of the kinds of flash diffusers and there effect on a subject.

I have the Gary Fong Clear, Cloud, clear dome, amber dome, and the chrome dome and finally the Joe Demb FlipIt Flash diffusers.
Posted by: PoorBoy

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 07/02/07 11:20 AM

First of, the Photographer on the Net forums are freaking awesome. I've learned so much from looking through those. I just recently got a Canon 5D with a couple of lenses. I've been into photography for a while now but just now getting into the real manual/pro stuff. Been trying to learn settings for dark concert settings and action shots without using a flash. Anyway, last night my band and I had some free time so I goofed around trying to get a hang of the camera and settings. Happy with these first tries. It was really dark to begin with because a few of our lights weren't hooked up yet, so when we get them all hooked up they'll turn out better. Taken with a Canon 50mm lens at 30 / 1.8 and AWB on.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 07/02/07 12:50 PM

Quote:
Since XOC is my "extended" family, here's my photog webpage for ya'll to view...

[b] Air B\'s Photog Webpage!!!

- Butch laugh [/b]
I just added you as a "friend" on my smugmug page.
smile

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 07/02/07 12:51 PM

For anyone who's interested in my latest photo project - I started a new thread here:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=011076

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 08/02/07 08:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Since XOC is my "extended" family, here's my photog webpage for ya'll to view...

[b] Air B\'s Photog Webpage!!!

- Butch laugh [/b]
I just added you as a "friend" on my smugmug page.
smile [/b]
Schweet... Thanks KJ... I'll do so, with your smugmug site, in kind...

- Butch laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/02/07 02:54 PM

*Bump*

Bring back our photog thread... Just came back from Boise, Idaho to visit my newborn nephew... I was able to go out and have a "photog" day to myself... Here's the fruits of my labor (two sets)...

SET ONE: Landscapes

Early evening using 30sec exposure:

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/02/07 02:56 PM

SET TWO: Miscellaneous

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/02/07 02:58 PM

I lied...

SET THREE: Sunsets

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/02/07 04:17 PM

Very sharp with fantastic colors.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/02/07 07:37 PM

Yup. Very nice. I need a good photography day. Maybe as soon as it warms up.

I've got a bonus coming in from work soon. I'm debating upgrading my big lens to a Canon 70-200 f/4L and selling off my Tamron 70-300 LD Di II.

I've had the Canon before and loved it. Regretted selling it ever since.

ETA: Almost forgot. Here is your's truly with my first camera, circa 1970:

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 17/02/07 08:05 AM

Quote:
I've got a bonus coming in from work soon. I'm debating upgrading my big lens to a Canon 70-200 f/4L and selling off my Tamron 70-300 LD Di II.

I've had the Canon before and loved it. Regretted selling it ever since.
I plan on getting the same Canon soon too - After my Birthday in March. I'm enjoying my XTI, but am a little limited by Glass right now.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 17/02/07 10:29 AM

Teaser pic, from my first 70-200 f/4L:

1/1250s f/4.0 at 200.0mm iso100

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 09/03/07 08:42 PM

Taken at Boracay Philippines
D70
tokina 12-24mm

Enjoy

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 09/03/07 08:52 PM

Some more
D70
Nikon 70-300mm

[URL=http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n222/warlock586/DSC_0114.jpg]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 10/03/07 01:34 AM

Thinking off picking up a Sony Alpha A100 10.2MP DSLR Camera for the wife, anyone have any comments on them ?

She is leaning to the Sony because of the lens she already has for the 35mm Minolta which will fit the Sony.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 10/03/07 06:04 AM

Damn Warlock... Visiting my mother country... Looks like you went when it wasn't too busy... That's usually the best time to go... No crowds and you have the entire beach to yourself... Hehhehhee...

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

PS. Spectacular shots, I may add... Especially the sunset one... Amazingly beautiful!!!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/03/07 03:47 PM

Im practicing off camera flash lately, I thinking of getting the Nikon SU-800 and remote my 4 SB's.
and planning to get 2 sets of 800 alienbees.

what do you guys think?
Posted by: Claus

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/03/07 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by warlock:
Im practicing off camera flash lately, I thinking of getting the Nikon SU-800 and remote my 4 SB's.

what do you guys think?
That is a very nice setup. would only enhance your (from what you have displayed ) allready stellar siklls
[ThumbsUp]

Air B, excellent pictures. I have been shooting with my Canon D20 (4 lenses) now for 1.5 years and get really excited when I hit the jack pot. Hopee to be as good as ou one day...great work !

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/03/07 04:05 PM

Quote:

what do you guys think?
Do you already own 4 CLS compatible SB's? (ie SB600 or SB800) If you do - then getting the SU-800 is an option - but slightly limited in that the remote works via IR, so you'd be limited by available line of site between each individual unit and your source unit.

Have you thought about getting the bullet proof set of pocket wizards? Might be more expensive, but you can buy used non-CLS SB's for under $100 (like the SB-24 or even the Vivitar 285HV)

I'm thinking about going with a "poor-man's off-camera flash system".

Ebay sells used Vivitar 285HV's for like $30 each. (Just think, for the price of ONE SB-600 - you could get like FIVE used Viviars) Then pick up a couple of "ebay radio slaves" for like $40. This won't be as reliable as the pocket wizards - but they should work in alot of environments without limitations of line of site and without the costly price tag of the pocket wizard.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 12/03/07 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scrabo:
Thinking off picking up a Sony Alpha A100 10.2MP DSLR Camera for the wife, anyone have any comments on them ?

She is leaning to the Sony because of the lens she already has for the 35mm Minolta which will fit the Sony.
Same or similar CCD technology as what is in most Nikons.

Minolta lenses are a fair investment for the non-pro, but if your wife ever gets into the higher end lenses - she might be outta luck.

In camera stabilization is cool.

Price is good, but I would be worried. Things change quickly in this market. Canon and Nikon are constantly cranking out excellent quality DSLR's and every 6 months the selection changes so dramatically. 3 yrs ago when I bought my D70, it was considered "prosumer" and was the lowest model available for Nikon. Since then they have introduced the D50 and the D40. There's no telling what Sony will do in the next yr or two and what Pentax/Canon/Sigma/Nikon/Fuji/Olympus will do either.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/03/07 12:35 AM

Messed around trying to make my own light box tonight. Just used a bed sheet, two work lights, and a poster board.

Definitely needs work, but I'm pleased with my first try. Taken with my Canon 5D with a 50mm lens. I plan on making one with an actual box this week.

Also have a new site I'm working on. Let me know what you think...

J. Canfield.net

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/03/07 05:22 AM

Quote:
Kj_Dragon :Do you already own 4 CLS compatible SB's? (ie SB600 or SB800) If you do - then getting the SU-800 is an option - but slightly limited in that the remote works via IR, so you'd be limited by available line of site between each individual unit and your source unit.

Have you thought about getting the bullet proof set of pocket wizards? Might be more expensive, but you can buy used non-CLS SB's for under $100 (like the SB-24 or even the Vivitar 285HV)

I'm thinking about going with a "poor-man's off-camera flash system".

Ebay sells used Vivitar 285HV's for like $30 each. (Just think, for the price of ONE SB-600 - you could get like FIVE used Viviars) Then pick up a couple of "ebay radio slaves" for like $40. This won't be as reliable as the pocket wizards - but they should work in alot of environments without limitations of line of site and without the costly price tag of the pocket wizard.
Yes i already own 2 SB-600 and 2 SB-800 the reason i would like to use the SU-800 is to take advantage of the of the TTL features of the Nikon flash light system. I know its limited on the range but ill be using it more on product photography and the Alienbees (800) I will be using with the pocket wizard. Im kinda leaning toward the alienbees than the qflash system, first due to prize and now alien bees has just introduced their battery pack system.
One thing i would like to experiment on is using the X along with a voltage converter to power up the the alienbees offsite.
Do you think that the alternator could handle the load and what would be a nice converter to use to powerup the the aliensbees?

AlienBees B800 Specs

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/03/07 09:30 AM

So you want to hook up a power inverter via the 12volt plug in the Xterra to power your Alienbee's while out on location?

I honestly have no clue if that would be a good idea or if it would fry your setup to the high heavens. I have always been all things electrical dumb.

I have a set of studio Novatrons and have toyed with that idea as well, but have never had the guts to try it nor look it up and see if its even a good idea. [Too much XOC]

Whatever happened to ElectroKen? He would be the ideal person to answer your voltage question.

If you want a portable setup - I think the pocket wizards or SU-800 would be your best options. The SU-800 would be more economical since you wouldn't need to buy separate receivers for each flash and you'd be able to use TTL. You would just have range limitations since IR isn't as flexible as Radio.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/03/07 10:29 AM

Yeah where is ElectoKen, I would be nice if that question could be answered. It would greatly benefit being remote site.

I gather if you could support a winch with the oem electrical the question would be what kind or type of converter to use.

if this is possible i would rather create terminals on the back of my X than purchase batteries

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/03/07 11:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrabo:
[b]Thinking off picking up a Sony Alpha A100 10.2MP DSLR Camera for the wife, anyone have any comments on them ?

Same or similar CCD technology as what is in most Nikons.

Minolta lenses are a fair investment for the non-pro, but if your wife ever gets into the higher end lenses - she might be outta luck.

In camera stabilization is cool.

Price is good, but I would be worried. Things change quickly in this market. Canon and Nikon are constantly cranking out excellent quality DSLR's and every 6 months the selection changes so dramatically. 3 yrs ago when I bought my D70, it was considered "prosumer" and was the lowest model available for Nikon. Since then they have introduced the D50 and the D40. There's no telling what Sony will do in the next yr or two and what Pentax/Canon/Sigma/Nikon/Fuji/Olympus will do either.[/b]
I just found this and thought it might be helpful for you.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3569/10mp-dslr-shootout.html

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 13/03/07 09:42 PM

Made an actual light box tonight. I think I'm getting there...

First Try:

Latest Try:

What do yall think?

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/03/07 08:57 AM

The 2nd one came out much better I think cause the surroundings actually look white. I think maybe some of the brown from the cardboard sneaked its way onto the shot (maybe from reflections?) in the first shot.

Great DIY job though.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/03/07 10:42 AM

Also use a higher F stop for better depth of field to make the rear spoiler in focus.
my 2 cents

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/03/07 11:03 AM

Another thing - the color temperature of the flood lights you are using might not be "white" - but might have a yellowish temperature to them.

I second warlock on the expanding the DOF. But maybe you were going for the short dof look. If so, nevermind.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/03/07 05:51 PM

Quote:

Kj_Dragon: I second warlock on the expanding the DOF. But maybe you were going for the short dof look. If so, nevermind.
Yeah i just throw the dof in there if thats the look your going for like Kj_Dragon said.

PoorBoy: just a suggestion I would like to see it with a Black background this will make the shadow on the bottom stand out. I think it will make a good effect.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 14/03/07 05:54 PM

also if anybody is interested Im selling my Fuji S3 planning to replace it with the new Fuji S5

Level 9...LOL

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/03/07 01:57 PM

Still tweaking some settings...

Got these ideas from Photography on the Net ... the other forum that sucks up all my time.... :p

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/03/07 03:50 PM

me likes a lot!!!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/03/07 04:53 PM

Awesome pics dude - I like it.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/03/07 06:21 PM

That's fucken schweet PB... No can you add a miniature female model to hunch its ass over the hood? Hehhehhee....

- Air B [Too much XOC]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/03/07 11:08 AM

Awesome shots of the XMod G35!!! I belong to a few XMod forums(yeah, I'm a rc geek too), and I have yet to see any pics that came out that nice!!

Quote:
[b]Hotel Coronado in San Diego:

[/b]
Reminded me of a pic I took with my Digital Rebel XT last August....

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 18/03/07 04:28 PM

Going through last years photos
I call this Concrete Jungle

and the model

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 30/03/07 07:26 PM

Well just got my hands on a nikon 10.5 FishEye took it for a spin around the area.
the Wife and I

Found some nice rides up front of Dick's sporting goods

[IMG]

Our X and my new project

whatcha think?

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 01/04/07 01:57 AM

I'll trade you my 15mm sigma for your 10mm Nikon? laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/04/07 02:54 PM

Woah... Resurrecting a thread from page 4...

Miniature Golf Bokeh:

Staircase Spiral:

X Stickers:

Flower Power:

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/04/07 04:14 PM

Nice. I need to get out with my camera. Haven't done anything artsy since last year.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/05/07 05:21 AM

Gone out for a photoshot some models this weekend.

Posted by: spalind

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/05/07 06:00 AM

Whoa...I now vote Warlock for having the best job on XOC....

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/05/07 03:33 PM

Quote:
One thing i would like to experiment on is using the X along with a voltage converter to power up the the alienbees offsite.
Do you think that the alternator could handle the load and what would be a nice converter to use to powerup the the aliensbees?

AlienBees B800 Specs
It lists the power requirements as 120VAC and 8amps, which is nearly 1000watts per alienbee. That's 80 amps at 12volts or 66.7 at 14.4 volts. You might be able to run one of them with an expensive DC-AC converter, but no chance of running 4 of them at once without some serious cable rewiring and something near a 300amp alternator.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 15/05/07 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info, I got an alternate power source now that i bring along on my shoots.
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 16/05/07 04:05 AM

Nothing near the quality of some but my favorite pic I have taken so far.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 04:16 PM

Photography anyone?

Hhehehhehee... Now that I've got your attention, here's a few I took today in SoCal (Corona Del Mar Beach in Newport to be exact):

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 04:55 PM

Air B,
You got some foundation there for really great shots - some editing and cropping and you'll have winners!

Note: leave the first shot alone - its fine the way it is. wink

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 05:02 PM

Shot as a 3rd shooter/Candid's for my friends wedding two weekends ago:

Some teasers:

Nikon D70 | Sigma 15mm Fisheye f2.8 | ISO 800 | f5.6 | 1/30th

The Pro shooters.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 07:31 PM

Fisheyes can be so frickin' cool.

(What's the white line in the right side pews?)

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 08:41 PM

Great shots KJ... I like being the "unofficial" third wheel photographer... We don't get paid, but we don't have the pressure of getting "the shot"...

BTW, the pro-photographer on the right with that pretty white lens... I just purchased the same... Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L... This glass rocks... Hhehehhehe...

- Air B laugh

PS. What the hell is that white streak, anyhoo?! Could be some sort of ghost or something... Mmmmuuuuhhhhhaaaahhhhhaaaaa!!!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 10:47 PM

Quote:
Fisheyes can be so frickin' cool.

(What's the white line in the right side pews?)

This church has this suspended mic or something hanging from the ceiling with cables stabilizing it in place. That thin white line is one of the cables.

You can see the rest of the mic if you look just above the bride/groom and the other cable just to the right of the cross on the back wall.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/05/07 10:50 PM

Quote:

BTW, the pro-photographer on the right with that pretty white lens... I just purchased the same... Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L... This glass rocks... Hhehehhehe...

- Air B laugh
Yeah, I know that lens. its awesome. Here's me using one.

But I am more of a Nikon guy though. Here is my D70 with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM. This pic was taken with a Canon 20D with 70-200 f2.8 IS.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/05/07 07:03 PM

more:

Nikon D70
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom V1.0 only for post-processing.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 29/05/07 07:06 PM

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 30/05/07 05:05 AM

KJ, those wedding pics look really cool. Not just the pics themselves, but the wedding looked like alot of fun.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 30/05/07 05:43 AM

Great shots KJ... Love the "behind the scene" shots too...

- Air B [ThumbsUp]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/06/07 05:23 PM

what do you guys think?
Behind Hershey Hotel
Doing some recon for next photoshoot

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/06/07 05:41 PM

Here are some pics take from 2004 OC car show

hope you guys like it

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 09/06/07 08:57 PM

Pics taken on the way to Virgina Beach for a graduation/birthday party. I decided to go on a detour going to the party just to drive around and clear my head. when I saw this park.

I would like to Thank All of our Service Men,Women and their families for their sacrifice.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 09/06/07 09:16 PM

Quote:

Not sure what lens you've got there, but the vignetting with it is pretty bad. (the darker corners). Other than that nice pictures. Maybe it has something to do with a Nikon taking pictures of a guy using a Canon. smile

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 10/06/07 12:53 AM

I like the look of the vinetting and so I added it in post with Lightroom. I also overcranked colors to add vibrance - albiet the LCD on my laptop is "off" so alot of these are probably too orange and yellow.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 10/06/07 08:50 PM

Quote:
I like the look of the vinetting and so I added it in post with Lightroom. I also overcranked colors to add vibrance - albiet the LCD on my laptop is "off" so alot of these are probably too orange and yellow.
OK that makes sense, I thought it strange it wasn't in all of them, but without the EXIF information I couldn't tell. I had a cheap lens once for my film 35mm, that did it, but only when at the extreme focal length of the zoom. It was very annoying

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/06/07 07:30 PM

testing out the ABR800 ring flash and vagabon powersupply from alienbee.

full dump at 300mm

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 27/06/07 04:58 PM

That's a great second shot with the AB, warlock... Very nice!

- airbutchie [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: DocNo

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 02/09/07 07:35 PM

Great thread. I recently decided to pick up a Canon EOS 40D - will be traveling to the galapagos islands next month, and decide now was as good as time as any to jump off the fence and commit [Freak]

I've always preferred Canon's menu systems, and I think they have a better selection of lenses. Plus I have friends with Canon gear who I can swap lenses with smile That and the Nikon D300 won't be out until November, and will cost $500 more - the 40D is a no-brainer for a higher end "prosumer" camera.

When I get back and want to start playing indoors - great site on lighting:

http://super.nova.org/DPR/

I've been spending so much time in the forums on http://www.dpreview.com that I have a pretty severe headache. Talk about drinking from the fire hose!

So now I just have to find one smile I screwed up and didn't order one Thursday from Ritz online, or I would have had it yesterday. Now I should have it by Thursday.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 03/09/07 11:40 AM

Also check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 03/09/07 06:22 PM

Hey Doc... Check out this website for all your Canon questions and such... It's a great site to look over and gather information on whether its lenses and gear... Linky below:

Canon On The Net Website

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 03/09/07 06:38 PM

If price was a major factor for you, and you don't mind not having the latest - you probably coulda scored a 30D for cheap since the 40D's are out now. Same for the D200.

I saw a D200 body only on craigslist the other day for $650!!!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/09/07 08:18 PM

Quote:
Hey Doc... Check out this website for all your Canon questions and such... It's a great site to look over and gather information on whether its lenses and gear...
Yeah, I ran into that site and it looked like a good one - thanks for the link.

From my other thread:

I had a really bad cold yesterday and last night - I ended up sleeping in this morning. Got up this afternoon, and thought what the heck - I'll check Best Buy again - and they had it in stock! I ordered one over the web, and picked it up tonight:

Hehe - I can't stop playing with it. Damn battery doesn't last long enough.

Damn cold is driving me nuts, though. It's hard to aim the camera when you are either sniffling, coughing or sneezing [Freak]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/09/07 09:09 PM

Quote:
If price was a major factor for you, and you don't mind not having the latest - you probably coulda scored a 30D for cheap since the 40D's are out now. Same for the D200.

One word for that - HOT.

There is no way in hell someone is going to sell a D200 for that price (unless it's stolen or trashed beyond repair). The D100 is still going for around $450-500.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/09/07 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Damn battery doesn't last long enough.
How long does the Canon battery last? Nikon's batteries are incredible - I can use a single battery on the D80 all day long with a pair of 2GB cards - without ever turning off the camera - and still have plenty of juice left over to transfer the entire contents of both to the computer.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/09/07 11:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Damn battery doesn't last long enough.
How long does the Canon battery last? Nikon's batteries are incredible - I can use a single battery on the D80 all day long with a pair of 2GB cards - without ever turning off the camera - and still have plenty of juice left over to transfer the entire contents of both to the computer.[/b]
Maybe it needs to charge overnight the first time?

My D70 goes a couple hundred shots before one bar disappears from the battery display.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/09/07 11:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]If price was a major factor for you, and you don't mind not having the latest - you probably coulda scored a 30D for cheap since the 40D's are out now. Same for the D200.

One word for that - HOT.

There is no way in hell someone is going to sell a D200 for that price (unless it's stolen or trashed beyond repair). The D100 is still going for around $450-500.[/b]
you're probably right. Either that or a complete moron got it as a gift and is selling it.

Either way, I think its a hoax or something cause the person never replied to my email asking to meet him/her at a local starbucks for me to test with my own lens and memory card.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/09/07 06:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe it needs to charge overnight the first time?

My D70 goes a couple hundred shots before one bar disappears from the battery display.
Well, I took several hundred pictures. Just fooling around smile

And I was using the flash. And live view. I think that's what killed it - you can use the LCD as a viewfinder. It does heat the sensor up and you get some noise (aside from killing the battery). Something to use occasionally, but not all the time.

A friend is loaning me a 100-400L , 70-300 and 10-22 to play with over the weekend.

It's going to be hard giving them back [Freak]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/09/07 06:42 PM

Quote:

And I was using the flash. And live view. I think that's what killed it - you can use the LCD as a viewfinder.
Oh yeah, that'll do it.

I'm looking forward to the 15th of this month - I'm borrowing a friends Nikon 18-200 VR lens at a Whippet event. Fast dogs require VR!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/09/07 12:09 AM

oh yeah - forgot about live view. DSLR purists probably would frown against it's usage. :p

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/09/07 06:36 PM

Quote:
oh yeah - forgot about live view. DSLR purists probably would frown against it's usage. :p
Aw fuck 'em. Really, it's just another tool. I was talking to my friend who loaned me the lenses (did I mention, it's going to be REALLY hard to give them back? They are sitting next to me right now) the whole "purist" thing is like the Unix elitists - if you haven't "suffered" through obscure trivia and quirky equipment you aren't worthy of partaking in the "craft".

Whatever :rolleyes: I'm going to enjoy my camera and all of it's features (including the pre-set modes as well as fiddling with the manual settings) and all their snooty turning up of their noses won't change that in the least cool
Posted by: Huey

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 23/09/07 04:58 PM

Bumping this thread back up.

So I wanted to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread as it had helped me with quite a few of my decisions when buying my first d-SLR, lens, and other bits.

Here's my set up:

Canon DRebel XTi
EF-S 17-55 w/image stabilizer
Opteka battery grip

And a few of my pics taken with it:

Flying fan at the SF MOMA

Tigers

Don't Jump

At the San Jose GP

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 23/09/07 07:03 PM

I just bought this for $130. It was in the wrong spot in Circuit city and they gave it to me for that price. Sweet huh!

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 23/09/07 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soccerbrace:
I just bought this for $130. It was in the wrong spot in Circuit city and they gave it to me for that price. Sweet huh!
Which circuit city and do they have more???

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 23/09/07 09:25 PM

Hey Tyler, it was the Circuit City right by my place on Platte and Academy in CS.

I do not think that they have anymore, however, they are notoious for leaving advertisments up when they are not supposed to be there anymore.

Example. About 9 months ago, I bought a TV from there. I boutght a 1080 Samsung 56" TV. It was normally something like 2700 and it was on sale for 2100. The sticker was up but th sale had expired. I had them price match it it Best buy and got it for 2000. I found a sign that said that free MP3 player with purchase. That offer was no longer valid, but the sign was there. They got the MP3 player and had to give me the TV for $1800 and just give me the MP3 player with it. I also got them to give me a TV stand that normally costs $350 for $200 because of a sticked that was no longer valid.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 27/09/07 01:42 PM

So.... Doc.... Any sample pics from your 40D laying around?! Post post post my friend!!!

And soccerbrace, you actually got the 40D from Circuit City for $130 because of a price mistake? Holla back on that story...

- Air B eek

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 27/09/07 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soccerbrace:
I also got them to give me a TV stand that normally costs $350 for $200 because of a sticked that was no longer valid.
Either consider the Circuit City staff to be VERY nice, or very stupid.

They are NOT required to honor those expired sales signs.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/10/07 11:33 AM

Just a heads-up for all you Canon dSLR photogs...

Canon's Fall 2007 Instant Rebates:

Linky: Canon Fall 2007 Instant Rebates

- Air B [Wave]

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 20/10/07 11:43 AM

Another heads up. Need a special lens for a special occasion?

Lens Rental

ETA: Haven't used them but if I was going to Alaska again this year I'd be picking up one of those top end telephoto lenses for sure.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/12/07 08:06 PM

Well, I'm bringing this fucker back for just a bit... I can't always post on "Phat Chick Fridays", so I wanted to share a few pics from several recent photoshoots...

First, the equipment used:

- Air B laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/12/07 08:11 PM

I'll do three sets of five to six pictures...

SET ONE:

- airbutchie

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/12/07 08:16 PM

SET TWO: Plethora-O-Cars!!!

- airbutchie laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/12/07 08:19 PM

SET THREE: Various Shots

- airbutchie
Posted by: Huey

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 04/12/07 09:28 PM

Nice shots Air B, is that two XTi's you have now?

Also is XOC super slow for anyone else?

Oh and to continue this thread I recently went to NYC and took a few pics.

NYC Apple Store

Fall Colors

Central Park

Grand Central Station

The view from the top of the Rockerfeller

Brooklyn Bridge

The rest can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hogre/sets/72157603357980887/

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/07 10:34 AM

^ Yup... I have two XTi bodies Huey... Thanks for the comment!!!

- airbutchie laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 05/12/07 12:26 PM

Great pics me likes.
Posted by: hattrik21

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 05:17 AM

The wife got me an XTi for Christmas but she won't let me have it until then and the waiting is killing me.

Great pics btw.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 09:23 AM

Even though I prefer Nikon, I figured I'd post this for anyone looking to get their first DSLR:

Rebel XT body for $382

(Note - it's body only, and NOT the XTi, but still a great deal.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 11:18 AM

I've been playing with my studio set-up at my house for the past couple of days. ( ***as seen here*** )

Here is the studio/lighting setup that I used to capture these.

* The background supports are made from PVC pipes,
* Black and white bedsheets
* Novatron K-V240D-2C provide the lighting.

The complete set can be seen ***HERE*** and ***HERE*** .

I also have decided to sell my "gimic" lens - the Sigma 15mm f2.8 Fisheye. I bought this beauty back in 2003 from ebay brand new - for $350 (I got a great deal!!) . I just checked and this exact lens NEW on ebay is still about $450-500. I figure I the used value of this lens is still around $350 which means I should be able to sell it and "break even".

As you can see here - its in excellent condition. I estimate that its only been used about 10 times per yr for the last 4 yrs.

On a film SLR - this baby can view 180 degrees. When I use it on my Film Nikon N80, I have to be careful that my toes are not in the shot!

Sample shots using this lens coming up.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 11:21 AM

All taken using the Sigma Fisheye 15mm f2.8 on either a Nikon N80 or D70.

(Edit Per Mobycats Suggestion: All these example shots were taken from the Nikon N80 35mm Film Camera - with some cropping after they were scanned to digital. The last shot of the Belagio Fountains was shot from the D70 on a cropped digital frame)

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 04:02 PM

You should say which is which. There's going to be a big difference on how that lens looks on a 35mm camera and a "non-full-sized" digital.

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 04:38 PM

Hey Butchie, what day did you go to the LA Auto Show? I was there with my dad on the Friday after Thanksgiving laugh

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 07:54 PM

Quote:
So.... Doc.... Any sample pics from your 40D laying around?! Post post post my friend!!!
I have a few up:

http://web.mac.com/docno27

The site sucks, I literally threw it together in 10 minutes. Click on albums at the top of the page.

I'll be putting the rest of the 10 days up tomorrow and Saturday. I also have some cool pics of some of the leaves and scenery around here, and the Macy's thanksgiving day parade.

I really love this camera! And now that the D300 reviews are out, I don't feel bad about having to get the 40D before I could compare both - there doesn't appear to be enough of a swing between the two to get really worked up over.

I'm now considering getting up before sunrise on Saturday's because the light is better eek

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 06/12/07 07:57 PM

Quote:
[b]SET THREE: Various Shots[/b]
Cool shots - I need to get out more...

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 07/12/07 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Hey Butchie, what day did you go to the LA Auto Show? I was there with my dad on the Friday after Thanksgiving laugh
Hey Chef... My co-workers and I were there a week prior during media day... We get in free because our gov't agency deals with the automotive industry...

They had pretty sick concept cars, eh?!

- airbutchie laugh

PS. Nice light setup KJ... I'm currently looking into Alien Bees... My next step in to get into portraiture compositions...

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 07/12/07 05:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b][b]SET THREE: Various Shots[/b]
Cool shots - I need to get out more...[/b]
Thanks Doc... How's the 40D treatin' ya these days?!

- Air B

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 07/12/07 11:43 AM

Quote:
How's the 40D treatin' ya these days?!
Fine! I do need to get out more. I have my own little ghetto setup in my basement - I photographed an award a team I am on got - it was green glass - played around with the lights and got some cool shots. I love my 100mm macro lens, and need to start playing around with it more now that the weather has turned nasty...

Re: Canon XTI 10Mp Camera - Any good? - 24/02/08 01:51 PM

It finally arrived, my new toy
Nishika 3D N8000 with Nishika twin light 3010
cant wait to get fresh film and start test driving this toy.