Looking for a beginner bike...

Posted by: MEYEX

Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 09:14 AM

I was going to sign up for a Motorcycle Driver\'s Safety Class , but I just found out today that the classes are full for THE FUCKING YEAR. Ain't that a bitch. I know shit about motorcycles but I want to learn how to ride. A few of my neighbors offered to teach me, but I wanted some formal training. Now that the class is full, I may have to take them up on it. The question is, however, can anyone suggest a relatively cheap bike that I could get for the purpose learning how to ride. I don't wanna spend mega money on something and kill it cuz I don't know what i'm doing and if I do get instruction from my neighbors I don't wanna get on theirs and tear some shit up. So, i'm looking for something cheap and durable and can take a little abuse.
Posted by: Western Brewer

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 09:39 AM

Do any nearby towns have openings in their classes? Is there a waiting list in case anyone drops the class at the last minute?

I'd take that class. I started riding without it and realized after about 30 seconds of riding that I needed the class. Even if you start this year and learn from friends - take that class.

Oh, and I have a bike for sale. It's not cheap, but I never get to ride it anymore in MN. The season is too short and I'm too busy. If anyone's interested in a 1996 Buell S1, PM me.
Posted by: MEYEX

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 09:55 AM

Yeah, I checked 3 nearby cities and the way that they make it sound is that for the year, ALL are full. They did say that I could come to the class early and if someone didn't show, I could get in. Which sucks because, i'd hate to drive an hour on HOPES of getting in. There is no guarentee.
Posted by: GeorgiaXterra

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 09:58 AM

Hell Mike we can't get you to go on any SXFC trips but you want a bike so you can ride. I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR ASS! j/k

Greg
Posted by: ElectroKen

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MEYEX:
So, i'm looking for something cheap and durable and can take a little abuse.
Cheap + durable + tough = '85-'95 Japanese + 2-cylinder + air cooled

Stay away from the 600cc and up rice rockets until you have a few thousand miles under your belt. You'll live longer.
Posted by: Rumpy

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 11:50 AM

Something along the lines of a 600 Bandit or a Kawa ZR-7S. Both are a cross between a sport and cruiser and neither is so big that you are going to be doing wheelies everywhere. As a bonus, they are both easy to work on barring the shim under bucket valves on the Kawa.
Posted by: ddubbs77

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 03:11 PM

I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200S. It is a great bike for a great price.

I would suggest you go with a 600 cc if you want something to learn on though.

Check it out HERE
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MEYEX:
I was going to sign up for a Motorcycle Driver\'s Safety Class , but I just found out today that the classes are full for [b]THE FUCKING YEAR. Ain't that a bitch. I know shit about motorcycles but I want to learn how to ride. A few of my neighbors offered to teach me, but I wanted some formal training. Now that the class is full, I may have to take them up on it. The question is, however, can anyone suggest a relatively cheap bike that I could get for the purpose learning how to ride. I don't wanna spend mega money on something and kill it cuz I don't know what i'm doing and if I do get instruction from my neighbors I don't wanna get on theirs and tear some shit up. So, i'm looking for something cheap and durable and can take a little abuse.[/b]
Suzuki SV650. Torquey v-twin. No fairings to break. Good starter bike.

Stone
Posted by: ccspelman

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 06:45 PM

i have a great beginners bike... its the Honda Rebel 250cc. It is actually rated the #1 beginners bike. I wouldn't recommend anything but this bike.. it's a great way to learn.

Honda Rebel

I have a 2002.. but really you can get any year even if its 7 or 8 years old. They are really reliable bikes. Feel free to email me if you need any help or anything.
Posted by: Todrick

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 07:27 PM

i learned on a honda shadow vlx 600 great bike, looks good, cheap, reliable... and still plenty of power for when you got a few thousand miles under your belt.

what type of bike do you want to ride?
the shadow is a great first cruiser... but if your lookin to end up on a sport bike it may not be the best choice
Posted by: RedSe

Re: Looking for a beginner bike... - 02/06/03 08:55 PM

You could also start out with a used dirt bike.
Much easier to learn the basics of using a clutch and shifting gears when you're not worried about some nucklehead running you over. It's also a lot more durable if/when you lay it down.