Airplane on a treadmill question

Posted by: Trihead

Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 05:56 AM

Looks like we will have the answer soon. The mythbusters will be taking this one on. I think the show airs on the 12th of Dec.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 08:45 AM

Awesome. When we had the whole debate about it a few months ago I emailed the guys on there. Love that show.
Posted by: Richard Krenn

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 09:57 AM

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9801967776/m/5321919039/p/1

Airplane Hour
(Weds., December 12 at 9 PM ET/PT)
Adam and Jamie find out if either of them can safely land a Boeing 747-400 on a runway in varying weather conditions. Meanwhile, Kari, Tory and Grant risk life and limb to investigate skydiving myths regularly featured in Hollywood action films. Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do? Can you really hold a conversation during freefall? And would you survive if you opened your parachute only a few feet off the ground? Finally, Adam and Jamie carefully navigate their way through a myth that has baffled everyone from web bloggers to pilots. If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off? Extensive small-scale testing with a super treadmill and a nearly uncontrollable model airplane don't completely resolve the myth, so our flight cadets supersize the myth with help from a willing pilot and his Ultralight flying machine.
Posted by: BurgPath

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 10:04 AM

Sweet!

Yes you can hold a conversation, you just have to yell and be really close. smile Catch someone? Maybe if the first person falls 'big' while the chaser has a winged suit on.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 10:05 AM

oh pissa!

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 12:13 PM

It's about time!!! I hate to admit this, but I was the one responsible for bringing that question here [Too much XOC] I think that it was even stated in that thread that the Mythbusters should handle it!

AWESOME!!! I'm setting TIVO for that one!
Posted by: NY Madman

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 12:28 PM

Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do?

Hasn't that already been solved?
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
[b]Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do?

Hasn't that already been solved?[/b]
Seems like a no-brainer to me. If not, read up on terminal velocity .
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
Quote:
[b][b]Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do?

Seems like a no-brainer to me. If not, read up on terminal velocity .[/b]
Not meaning to open a can of worms, but...

Wouldn't it depend? Specifically on what you were wearing? Baggy clothes would create more drag, I would think...skin tight clothing would not.

(I understand the terminal velocity...but I would assume that neither person is naked)

The only way you could answer this question (one way or the other) is if they are in a freefall inside a vaccuum.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Mc:
[b]
Quote:
[b][b]Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do?

Seems like a no-brainer to me. If not, read up on terminal velocity .[/b]
Not meaning to open a can of worms, but...

Wouldn't it depend? Specifically on what you were wearing? Baggy clothes would create more drag, I would think...skin tight clothing would not.

(I understand the terminal velocity...but I would assume that neither person is naked)

The only way you could answer this question (one way or the other) is if they are in a freefall inside a vaccuum.[/b]
100 percent correct. I am a skydiver and in skydiving there are different styles of skydiving. Falling flat on your stomach you normally reach about 125 mph, flying in a sit position you can reach 160 mph and headdown upwards of 170 mph. Plus weight, drag of suit, altitude, and a bunch of others things come into effect. Although it is not easy, you can reach someone who jumps out of a plane before, it just can't be a long period of time.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 03:32 PM

[Save the fine unicorns] [Save the fine unicorns] [Save the fine unicorns] [Save the fine unicorns] [Save the fine unicorns] [Save the fine unicorns]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 07:46 PM

Finally, another excuse to post this thing...

MGJ
Posted by: Origami Gangsta

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 02/11/07 10:39 PM

Quote:
[b]Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do?

Travis Pastrana just did this recently.

Crazy sonofabitch.
Posted by: xterrapin

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 03/11/07 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trihead:
The mythbusters will be taking this one on.
On a somewhat unrelated point, Kari Byron is my neighbor. I see her all the time at the pizza joint accross the street. Yes, she is truly that HOT!

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 03/11/07 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrapin:
Quote:
[qb] The mythbusters will be taking this one on.
On a somewhat unrelated point, Kari Wilson is my neighbor. I see her all the time at the pizza joint accross the street. Yes, she is truly that HOT!
Who's Kari Wilson?

That's Kari Byron.

laugh
Posted by: xterrapin

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 03/11/07 01:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by xterrapin:
[b]
Quote:
[qb] The mythbusters will be taking this one on.
On a somewhat unrelated point, Kari Wilson is my neighbor. I see her all the time at the pizza joint accross the street. Yes, she is truly that HOT!
Who's Kari Wilson?

That's Kari Byron.

laugh [/b]
My bad, corrected.

Boy, I pretty much blew all credibility on my claim to fame with that one.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 03/11/07 06:42 PM

Being a pilot, the myth that a plane could take off from a tredmill is impossible. Its not the speed the wheels are travleing that make the plane take off. its the speed of the air iver the wings which creates the lift. Now, it would be possible for a plane to land or i guess even take off vertically, given the right wind conditions for the specific plane. I've heard of a navy pilot land on an aircraft carrier the was heading into hurricane force winds. he practically hovered over the ship into the wind and touched down. his relative motion was very slow but his airspeed was still over 100 knots. just like i've had my cessna start to go back watds druing slow flight.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 12:40 PM

For all the Kari Byron fans out there

Linky May be NSFW depending

laugh

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JMo:
Being a pilot, the myth that a plane could take off from a tredmill is impossible. Its not the speed the wheels are travleing that make the plane take off. its the speed of the air iver the wings which creates the lift. Now, it would be possible for a plane to land or i guess even take off vertically, given the right wind conditions for the specific plane. I've heard of a navy pilot land on an aircraft carrier the was heading into hurricane force winds. he practically hovered over the ship into the wind and touched down. his relative motion was very slow but his airspeed was still over 100 knots. just like i've had my cessna start to go back watds druing slow flight.
Right on. The name of the game is airspeed, not ground speed. I have seen Cessnas take off in a 50 knot headwind, and climb almost straight up above the field. Then it tipped its wing and took off like a bat out of hell.

The answers to most of these questions are obvious to people experienced in the area, but not always to the average person on the street. Mythbusters is a great show and I always enjoy watching it.
Posted by: Samueul

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 01:35 PM

Quote:
Um,,, That's exactly why it would take off, because the ground speed and the wheels don't matter and it's the initial thrust pushing the plane through the air that generates lift below the wings etc. Since the plane isn't anchored to the treadmill, it's going to take off no matter how fast the treadmill goes in the opposite direction.
Posted by: Coop

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 02:24 PM

Run on a treadmill. How much wind in your face do your feel? If the plane is not moving on the ground it's airspeed is 0 discounting any wind.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Samueul:
Quote:
[b]Being a pilot, the myth that a plane could take off from a tredmill is impossible. Its not the speed the wheels are travleing that make the plane take off. its the speed of the air iver the wings which creates the lift. Now, it would be possible for a plane to land or i guess even take off vertically, given the right wind conditions for the specific plane. I've heard of a navy pilot land on an aircraft carrier the was heading into hurricane force winds. he practically hovered over the ship into the wind and touched down. his relative motion was very slow but his airspeed was still over 100 knots. just like i've had my cessna start to go back watds druing slow flight.
Um,,, That's exactly why it would take off, because the ground speed and the wheels don't matter and it's the initial thrust pushing the plane through the air that generates lift below the wings etc. Since the plane isn't anchored to the treadmill, it's going to take off no matter how fast the treadmill goes in the opposite direction.[/b]
What "initial thrust"? I'm not following your explaination.

An airplane on a treadmill would not generate the necessary airspeed over its wings to produce lift required for flight.

Here is an example:
An airplanes takeoff airspeed is 80mph. This means the air must travel over the wings at 80 mph, the ground speed is irrelevant. If it takes off in a no wind condition, it must have a ground speed of 80 mph to have the required 80 mph airspeed. If the plane takes off into a 20mph headwind, it only needs to travel at 60mph ground speed to generate an 80 mph airspeed over its wings. Now if it has a 20 mph tailwind, it must have a 100mph ground speed to achieve a 80mph airspeed.

So if this same plane was on a treadmill going 80mph (ground speed), what would the airspeed over the wings be?

The answer is zero. With a zero mph airspeed over the wings the plane would generate no lift, and it would be unable to overcome the force of gravity.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 03:00 PM

Oh good God...not again!

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RiverPig:
For all the Kari Byron fans out there

Linky May be NSFW depending

laugh
I feel sorry for the person who's boss thinks that is NSFW.
Posted by: Auditor_Kevin

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 03:07 PM

I can't believe the airplane on a treadmill is even a debate. Of course it can't take off. If it did, it would be hovering, not flying.

C'mon people!

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ndxterra:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Being a pilot, the myth that a plane could take off from a tredmill is impossible. Its not the speed the wheels are travleing that make the plane take off. its the speed of the air iver the wings which creates the lift. Now, it would be possible for a plane to land or i guess even take off vertically, given the right wind conditions for the specific plane. I've heard of a navy pilot land on an aircraft carrier the was heading into hurricane force winds. he practically hovered over the ship into the wind and touched down. his relative motion was very slow but his airspeed was still over 100 knots. just like i've had my cessna start to go back watds druing slow flight.
Um,,, That's exactly why it would take off, because the ground speed and the wheels don't matter and it's the initial thrust pushing the plane through the air that generates lift below the wings etc. Since the plane isn't anchored to the treadmill, it's going to take off no matter how fast the treadmill goes in the opposite direction.[/b]
What "initial thrust"? I'm not following your explaination.

An airplane on a treadmill would not generate the necessary airspeed over its wings to produce lift required for flight.

Here is an example:
An airplanes takeoff airspeed is 80mph. This means the air must travel over the wings at 80 mph, the ground speed is irrelevant. If it takes off in a no wind condition, it must have a ground speed of 80 mph to have the required 80 mph airspeed. If the plane takes off into a 20mph headwind, it only needs to travel at 60mph ground speed to generate an 80 mph airspeed over its wings. Now if it has a 20 mph tailwind, it must have a 100mph ground speed to achieve a 80mph airspeed.

So if this same plane was on a treadmill going 80mph (ground speed), what would the airspeed over the wings be?

The answer is zero. With a zero mph airspeed over the wings the plane would generate no lift, and it would be unable to overcome the force of gravity.[/b]
What's powering the plane? I would assume its engines right? How else is it staying on the belt at all then? The wheels of the plane are just there for it to have something to sit on. If those engines turn on, there is nothing holding that planes wheels to the belt. That plane will move forward via the thrust of the engine. That forward motion will create airspeed and lift, and those wheels will lift off the belt and that plane will fly.

How does a black cat bottle rocket fly when it's laid on its side? It doesn't even have wheels! Its thrust moves it. What if you glue small wings to it?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
I can't believe the airplane on a treadmill is even a debate. Of course it can't take off. If it did, it would be hovering, not flying.

C'mon people!
How does a vtol plane like the harrier jump jet fly. It hovers then as the engine "ports" are slowly turned rearward, it gains forward thrust and momentum and flys. It's the same principle. The belt under a plane makes no difference.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 05:33 PM

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 05:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I can't believe the airplane on a treadmill is even a debate. Of course it can't take off. If it did, it would be hovering, not flying.

C'mon people!
How does a vtol plane like the harrier jump jet fly. It hovers then as the engine "ports" are slowly turned rearward, it gains forward thrust and momentum and flys. It's the same principle. The belt under a plane makes no difference.[/b]
A VTOL or STOVL (Short TakeOff Vertical Landing) is a special case, and it uses thrust to take off. Most planes use lift to take off. To generate lift, you need sufficient air moving over the wings to overcome the force of gravity.

So I will agree with you that a VTOL can take off from a treadmill, but you might as well add helicopter to this category.

I will also say that maybe a STOVL or a plane with a thrust to weight ratio greater than 1 could do it.

But there is no way you are going to take off in a plane with a low thrust to weight ratio, when the aircraft depends on the lift generated by the wings to achieve flight.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 05/11/07 06:08 PM

READ ME before you guys reach any conclusion....

I know it's long, but the correct answer's explained dozens of different ways.

ETA: It's only on pages 1-53 of that thread.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MattyX:
READ ME before you guys reach any conclusion....

I know it's long, but the correct answer's explained dozens of different ways.

ETA: It's only on pages 1-53 of that thread.
Alright, you got me, we're beating a dead horse here.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 08:24 AM

It's not that the horse is dead, it's that the right answer's in there. It's explained pretty well, I think.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 11:03 AM

I'm not gonna click on 53 pages of debate. What's the answer (even though I know it's 'no')?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 11:17 AM

Quote:
I'm not gonna click on 53 pages of debate. What's the answer (even though I know it's 'no')?
The answer is yes....basically for the reason I stated.

If you are running on a treadmill, and someone who is not on the treadmill pushes you from behind, will you move forward on the treadmill even though your running speed hasn't changed?

You = Airplane
someone pushing you = engine thrust.
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 11:49 AM

Do an experiment at home:

Put rollerblades on your brother.
Put him on a treadmill at any speed. Notice how (if the wheels are truly free-rolling) he doesn't move? Forward or backward, he doesn't move at all?

Now increase the treadmill's speed. He's still not moving. The wheels on the rollerblades are spinning wildly, freely, faster and faster, but he doesn't move.

Leave him like that for a few minutes. Get a sense for how all that energy from the treadmill is wasted on those free-rolling wheels.

Now, walk up to him while the treadmill and the rollerblade wheels are still spinning away. Push him in the back (maintain the push, just like a plane would maintain thrust!), and watch him roll forward into the treadmill's control panel.

Why?

Because the treadmill acts on the roller-blade wheels ONLY. The exact same way the treadmill will act on the free-rolling landing gear of an aircraft.

Your push acts on your brother's body the exact same way thrust from an aircraft's engines works on an airframe and the attached wings.

The energy being used and delivered at the wheels while on a treadmill simply has zero impact on the airframe.
Posted by: XPLORx4

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 12:02 PM

OMG, I simply cannot believe that this one has resurfaced! ARGH!

The irony of it all is that, with Mythbusters taking it on, I'm sure some of the "It WON'T fly" folks will find something wrong with the Mythbusters methodology, such as "Well, maybe an ULTRALIGHT can take off, but a 737 on a treadmill won't take off! They have to repeat the test with a 737 for me to be a believer!"

Some folks just don't get it, and never will. May they wallow in their ignorance.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 12:03 PM

Quote:
It's YES. You may as well start clicking through 53 pages of debate, 'cause this thread will start to get that long if you stick to your "Can't fly" position for much longer.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 12:14 PM

Even standing on a treadmill with rollerblades on your feet, there will still be some backward force exerted on you. But, with a small push forward, that force can be easily overcome.

A plane would still be able to take off on a treadmill.

The debate and confusion on this issue comes from the wording of the question posed in the plane/treadmill scenario.

An even bigger question than whether the plane will take off is .... how come this is even being brought up again when the original thread is almost right beneath this new thread?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 12:17 PM

Alright, I'll concede that it can fly. Where my thinking was constrictive was the length of the treadmill.

If the treadmill is say...the length of a runway, then yes, the plane can take off. As stated previously the wheels will simply spin at a speed equal to the takeoff airspeed (assuming no head or tail wind) plus the velocity of the treadmill at the point of takeoff.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 12:25 PM

Quote:

An even bigger question than whether the plane will take off is .... how come this is even being brought up again when the original thread is almost right beneath this new thread?
Because we enjoy beating dead horses here. Honestly I never knew what was being discussed in the thread "Know that if you do not post in this thread today the human race may cease to exist" because it was just too long to peak my interest, and the title doesn't exactly describe the topic of the thread.

It looks like we can add the "plane on a treadmill" question to to the status of "how do I improve my gas mileage?" and "what size tires can I run without trimming?".

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 01:12 PM

Quote:
Alright, I'll concede that it can fly. Where my thinking was constrictive was the length of the treadmill.

Me too. I was assuming the word "treadmill" meant something roughly equal to the length of the plane, not something three miles long.

If someone had simply said "giant moving walkway the length of a runway" instead, we would have avoided 99% of the debate.

It's like starting a debate titled "you can't eat a sandwich in one sitting" without elaborating that the sandwich is the size of your house.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 01:28 PM

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 01:54 PM

GrayHam - that was the best way to explain this problem I have ever heard. I went to the lengths of creating a drawing of a free body diagram, which seemed to not help at all. Physics gold star to grayham.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 02:15 PM

Someone else also created a free body diagram that can viewed by clicking the image below....

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 03:43 PM

Quote:

If the treadmill is say...the length of a runway, then yes, the plane can take off.

The length of the treadmill has no bearing on this. The plane will move no matter how long the treadmill is.

Well, ok, it matters in that if the treadmill is the length of the plane, the plane will move off it and on to the tarmac and then take off.

Quote:
As stated previously the wheels will simply spin at a speed equal to the takeoff airspeed (assuming no head or tail wind) plus the velocity of the treadmill at the point of takeoff.
Which is where, if I'm not mistaken, the original question is worded incorrectly (or badly, anyway) - say the wheels continuously match the speed of the treadmill.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 04:09 PM

Are you people seriously going to chew this shit over again?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 06/11/07 06:49 PM

yes.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 11:52 AM

OMG! does the navy know about this!? Why don't they have treadmills on all the air craft carriers!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you why, cause it won't work. Everyone keeps focusing on speed; speed is not directly responsible for a planes ability to take off. Planes fly because the air flowing over the wing is faster than the air under it. Therefore, the air under the wing pushes the plane up.

The treadmill does not provide any wind over the wings. The shape of the wing is what allows the air to flow faster over the top than the bottom, but in order for the air to flow over the wings at sufficient speed, the plane has to actually move. On a treadmill, no air is moving.

You would need a wind tunnel to make the plane take off. And in truth, this would work with or without the treadmill.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cadams7407:
OMG! does the navy know about this!? Why don't they have treadmills on all the air craft carriers!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you why, cause it won't work. Everyone keeps focusing on speed; speed is not directly responsible for a planes ability to take off. Planes fly because the air flowing over the wing is faster than the air under it. Therefore, the air under the wing pushes the plane up.

The treadmill does not provide any wind over the wings. The shape of the wing is what allows the air to flow faster over the top than the bottom, but in order for the air to flow over the wings at sufficient speed, the plane has to actually move. On a treadmill, no air is moving.

You would need a wind tunnel to make the plane take off. And in truth, this would work with or without the treadmill.
Golf clap.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 12:18 PM

LOL...really.

Welcome to 6 months ago when we went 20 pages on it then.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 12:38 PM

Quote:
Bad example there, Leroy.

An aircraft on an aircraft carrier uses a catapult.

The distance a plane takes to take off on land is the same as the distance to take off if there were a treadmill under it.

Put yourself on iceskates. Stand on ice next to a pole. Put flippers on your hands. Now flap like a bird trying to fly forward (not up). You WILL move relative to the pole. Same thing.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 12:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]OMG! does the navy know about this!? Why don't they have treadmills on all the air craft carriers!?!?!?!?!

The distance a plane takes to take off on land is the same as the distance to take off if there were a treadmill under it.

Put yourself on iceskates. Stand on ice next to a pole. Put flippers on your hands. Now flap like a bird trying to fly forward (not up). You WILL move relative to the pole. Same thing.[/b]
He's not getting that the plane's engines are providing thrust, I bet.

I think he's one of the people envisioning a static aircraft on a treadmill . . .

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 01:30 PM

Will the airplane transmission handle the power needed for take-off?

[Wave]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vitaly:
Will the airplane transmission handle the power needed for take-off?

[Wave]
Yes, but it is hard on the diffs.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 01:41 PM

The transmission will, but the transfer case will fail, thus they need to install some crawler gears.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayHam:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]OMG! does the navy know about this!? Why don't they have treadmills on all the air craft carriers!?!?!?!?!

Put yourself on iceskates. Stand on ice next to a pole. Put flippers on your hands. Now flap like a bird trying to fly forward (not up). You WILL move relative to the pole. Same thing.[/b]

I think he's one of the people envisioning a static aircraft on a treadmill . . .[/b]
Willing to bet he's one of those people that are cornfused and think the engines drive the wheels.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
The transmission will, but the transfer case will fail, thus they need to install some crawler gears.
Naw, Tony, then the crawler gears will have you blowing axle shafts, especially when reverse is used laugh

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 04:22 PM

This is so funny to me. That's why I like coming back to it. Some people just can't get past their initial reactions.

Look at Madman's FBD. If you don't understand that, trust those of us that do.

The plane takes off. Period, end of story.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 07/11/07 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mine_man:
This is so funny to me. That's why I like coming back to it. Some people just can't get past their initial reactions.

Look at Madman's FBD. If you don't understand that, trust those of us that do.

The plane takes off. Period, end of story.
Why should we blindly trust that you understand Madman's FBD (whatever that is :p )?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 07:20 AM

FBD - free body diagram, is a pictorial representation often used by physicists to show all contact and non-contact forces acting on the given free body (wikipedia).

Break the object down to the forces present and the answer is obvious. I have not yet seen a FBD presented by the "will not take off crowd".

How often do you get to discuss physics? It's fun, for the nerds of the forum like me. Brings me back to the hundreds of FBDs I had to come up with for physics I and II back in college. Damn some of those were hard; oh the memories...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 12:37 PM

Isnt the treadmill going to cancel out the engine thrust?
I mean the debate is a treadmill moving at the same speed as the plane.
If you are running on a treadmill and someone pushes you, yes you will go forward, but not clear across the room.

Engine thrust may cause the plane to go faster than the tread mill, and will just move it forward off the treadmill, if the treadmill does not speed up.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 12:39 PM

Die, stupid fucking thread, die!!!!
Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 07:04 PM

Quote:
Die, stupid fucking thread, die!!!!
no
Posted by: InfX708

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 08:30 PM

Ok, I'm working with Iraqis and have now become a master of trying to explain things in tiny detail - also works for U.S. Army staff officers who have never left the wire. Here are the conditions we are operating under: An airplane traveling at say 300mph, thrust being provided by its engines. A tread mill under the bird is traveling at 300mph in the opposite direction (this is drag). Since thrust must be more than drag, by an amount that differs from bird to bird, this particular aircraft won't fly until more thrust is provided, assuming there is no head, tail, or side wind. The treadmill is essentially pushing the aircraft backward while the engines push forward. Everyone knows there are 4 forces working on an airplane, right? Thrust must exceed drag by a certain amount to generate lift, which is caused by air flowing over the wings. There are a number of physical laws, principles, and effects involved and you can read here if you are interested. Suffice to say that the wing has to be moving relative to a fixed point on the ground, in the absence of any air movement, in order to fly. So, if the thrust does not overcome the rearward speed of the treadmill, it matters not the length of the treadmill. The aircraft won't fly until it generates enough thrust to move the wings through the air. Bottom line, on a calm day, you can not stand next to the tread mill, facing the side of the fuselage and watch the plane take off without moving any part of your body relative to the earth.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 08:39 PM

Leave it to the Army of One to fuck that up!

Your premise that the conveyor traveling at 300 MPH in the opposite direction having equal affect as the thrust is false. 300 MPH conveyor has very little drag at all therefore thrust > drag.

USMC > ARMY

[Finger]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 10:09 PM

To clarify, the landing gear has the effect of minimizing friction with the conveyor/treadmill. The effect of the treadmill is negligible.

Remember, the thrust of the aircraft works against air. The conveyor only spins the wheels.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 10:15 PM

If the plane is on a treadmill where is the air coming from to lift the plane?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 08/11/07 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chumpmann:
If the plane is on a treadmill where is the air coming from to lift the plane?
The engines are providing the thrust. The wheels are there to reduce friction but we already covered this...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
Leave it to the Army of One to fuck that up!

Your premise that the conveyor traveling at 300 MPH in the opposite direction having equal affect as the thrust is false. 300 MPH conveyor has very little drag at all therefore thrust > drag.

USMC > ARMY

[Finger]
Leave it to a jar head not to comprehend simple analogies. Draw out a diagram showing the forces acting on an airplane. The one that pushes from the front is called drag. Therefore, anything pushing back against the aircraft's forward movement is drag, i.e. a conveyor belt moving 300 mph. It sure as hell isn't gravity, lift or thrust. If there was no thrust from the engines, the aircraft would move backwards at 300mph. The aircraft would not just sit there in one spot, unless you had frictionless wheels. If that's the case, then the treadmill is pointless anyway - it's not exerting any sort of force on the airframe. In order for an airplane to take off, thrust must overcome drag by a given amount. This generates lift which overcomes gravity. Next you're going to tell me that if I can an ostrich on a treadmill going fast enough, it will fly. But it's easy to just make statements with any explanation to back it up - just like a jar head.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]If the plane is on a treadmill where is the air coming from to lift the plane?
The engines are providing the thrust. The wheels are there to reduce friction but we already covered this...[/b]
You still didn't explain where the air moving over the wings to provide lift comes from. The engines simply hold the plane in place on the treadmill, assuming the plane is not moving forward relative to a ground observer. Engines provide thrust which is forward movement. We've already established in our model that the plane is not moving forward to a fixed observer - i.e. someone not on the treadmill.

To look at it from a different angle, if you put an airplane on a fixed runway with the highest friction wheels available and put a huge fan in front capable of moving the air over the wings at take off speed, the airplane would take off. It would have zero forward movement relative to the ground observer, but it would have sufficient air flowing over the wings to generate lift. Thrust does not provide lift. Thrust provides forward movement through the air.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:59 AM

I did explain it. The plane rolls because if the treadmill moves 300 MPH in the opposite direction it isn't enough drag to stop the plane from taking off.

Thrust > Drag = plane moves and flies.

I'll drag up this example...

OK lets say you're on roller skates and standing on a moving sidewalk. I'm not on the sidewalk. I hand you a tow rope and walk the opposite direction of the sidewalk. Do you move? yes

Let's say we quadruple the speed of the sidewalk and I still walk in the opposite direction. Do you still move? Yes

How much drag does the moving sidewalk affect me? The answer is very little.

The plane's engines overcome the minimal amount of drag the conveyor offers and the plane takes off.

The only way the conveyor stops the plane is if it can produce enough speed which in turn will produce enough drag to counter the engine's thrust. It however isn't matching the planes speed at that point but greatly exceeding it. It isn't going 50 MPH in the opposite direction. I would have to go much faster than that to stop a plane that needs to get up to 50 MPH to take off.

That simple enough?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 03:37 AM

Quote:
I did explain it. The plane rolls because if the treadmill moves 300 MPH in the opposite direction it isn't enough drag to stop the plane from taking off.

Thrust > Drag = plane moves and flies.

I'll drag up this example...

OK lets say you're on roller skates and standing on a moving sidewalk. I'm not on the sidewalk. I hand you a tow rope and walk the opposite direction of the sidewalk. Do you move? yes

Let's say we quadruple the speed of the sidewalk and I still walk in the opposite direction. Do you still move? Yes

How much drag does the moving sidewalk affect me? The answer is very little.

The plane's engines overcome the minimal amount of drag the conveyor offers and the plane takes off.
Ah, but you moved. That totally eliminates the original question. Now, if you are the observer, then I don't move forward relative to you, since you and I are moving forward at the same speed. Relative to the sidewalk, I am moving forward faster than it is moving backward and will continue to do so as long as you are pulling me forward, but my position relative to you will not change. Thus, to you, I will appear to not be moving at all.
Now, if you modify the original question and throw in the detail that the aircraft moves forward relative to the ground observer, then yes, the aircraft will lift off once it has achieved enough forward airspeed. After all, it is all about airspeed. Ground speed is irrelevant. Right now, we are all moving at about 1300 ft/sec relative to the sun, but since the air around us is moving at the same speed, on a calm day, we have zero air speed.

For clarity, this whole thing is dependent upon relativity. Assumptions are that the airplane is moving 300mpg forward relative to the conveyor. The conveyor is moving 300mph backward relative to the ground observer. Therefore the aircraft is moving at 0 mph relative to the ground observer. Now, if the plane is moving forward 300mph relative to the ground observer, who is stationary relative to the Earth and the surrounding air, then yes, the plane will take off, assuming that it takes off at 300mph. but, if the plan is moving forward at 300 mph relative to the ground observer and the treadmill is moving backward 300mph relative to the ground observer, then the plan is moving forward 600mph relative to the runway (conveyor belt). So in reality, it's a flawed question and your answer depends on your point of view, literally.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 03:40 AM

I think that is the point. Yes I moved. Yes the plane moves because the drag is less than thrust.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 03:48 AM

Ok, at that point, the plane speed forward is greater than the conveyor's speed backward, resulting in a forward movement overall, thus existing outside the parameters of the question. Like I said, it all depends on the point of observation and relativity.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by InfX708:
Like I said, it all depends on the point of observation and relativity.
And the fact that the question is worded badly.

Pretend there is *zero* friction, and the engines are off - if the conveyor belt moves in ANY direction, the plane is going to stand still. Isn't that the law of inertia?

Key here - ZERO friction - there is no external force to push the plane back if there is ZERO friction.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 07:37 AM

*sigh*

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 07:54 AM

Quote:
*sigh*
Yep... I'm done arguing my point. This is useless.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 08:41 AM

None of this explains where the air comes from to lift the plane. No air over/under the wing = no lift.

If all the plane needed to fly was engine thrust, why do they have wings?

The plane will not take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 08:53 AM

Like I said, it is all dependent upon the point of observation. To a guy on the treadmill, the plane is moving forward. To the pilot, the treadmill is moving backward. The question doesn't indicate whether the speed is airspeed or ground speed. If it is airspeed, then air is flowing over the wings, but then the aircraft is hardly moving forward at the same rate the treadmill is moving it backward. If it is ground speed then the plane is not moving forward relative to an observer not on either the treadmill or the plane.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 09:12 AM

Quote:
None of this explains where the air comes from to lift the plane. No air over/under the wing = no lift.

Well, fuck me running.

You got me there, pardner.

[Freak]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 09:56 AM

Quote:

Alright... I'll bite again.

The wheels of the airplane are simply there to support the air craft and to allow the plane to roll as it accelerates.

For the plane to have thrusting force it simply relies on air to make it happen. Have you ever seen a jet powered dragster? Well it's the same concept but with wings and different aerodynamics to allow it to fly, that's all.

Whether ground is at stand still or moving (treadmill) has no effect. Theoretically, forces of gravity aside, if the plane or the dragster were suspended in mid air standing still, then thrust from the jet engine would be applied, both would still have momentum in the opposite direction of thrust.

Think of it this way. Shuttle is taking off into space. Now, let's say shuttle is taking off vertically but the wheels are resting against a wall of sorts, no matter which direction (forward or aft) the wall is moving, the shuttle would still take off. Essentially, it's just like the plane on the ground/treadmill, but at a 90 degree angle.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 10:04 AM

Would someone who thinks the plane won't fly please explain how a tread mill, running at any speed, is going to keep a plane sitting on FREE SPINNING wheels from moving forward?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 10:21 AM

Jesus fucking christ....

People, if there were enough FRICTION in the wheels to prevent the plane from moving, it would NEVER take off, regardless as to whether or not they're moving at 500 mph, 1,000 mph, or 0 mph for/against the airplane. The rotational speed of the tires (aka, what the ONLY motion the conveyor belt can cause) doesn't effect the speed of the aircraft anywhatsoever.

Example 1: Plane rolls down a runway, hits it's lift-speed, and takes off. Tires stop rolling, eventually, due to the minor friction they have in their bearings. So at some point, the tires aren't moving at all. To rephrase: Rotation of tires = ZERO mph. However, the plane is still moving, aka, FLYING. Rotational speed of the tires does NOT equal (or even effect, for that matter) the speed of the aircraft.

Example 2: Plane is coming in for landing. Hasn't touched down, yet. Tires are rotating at 0 miles per hour. Plane is still moving forward.

The only way the aircraft can NOT take off, is if the ROTATIONAL speed of the tires can somehow effect the DIRECTIONAL speed of the aircraft. Unfortunately, this is NOT the case. The tires rotate INDEPENDENTLY of the aircraft's forward movement, because the tires are NOT the propulsionary mechanisms in an airplane!!!

Once again, forward thrust of a plane is NOT caused by torquing the tires. EVER. It is not a car. Therefore, a conveyor belt torquing the tires (causing a rotational movement) in either direction does NOT effect the forward thrust caused by the plane's engines. The tires/wheels are just along for the ride.

For those that like math... If the conveyor belt moves 300 mph in the opposite direction the plane is wanting to go, then the tires of the plane are actually going in FORWARD rotation (it's like gears; one spins one way, other spins OPPOSITE way) at 300 mph. As the plane begins to take off, the tires (because they're just free-spinning, anyways) will start to accelerate. By the time the plane hits 200 mph & takes off, the tires are spinning at 500 mph, but moving forward at only 200 mph.

Those that think the plane can't take off: quit mistaking ROTATIONAL speed of the tires with DIRECTIONAL speed of the aircraft. They're COMPLETELY different things.

The plane fucking takes off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 10:46 AM

"It's a madhouse.... It's a madhouse!"

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 11:04 AM

You "it will take off" people are assuming that the aircraft is moving forward relative to a fixed observer. Since no such observer is mention in the question, I assume the forward speed of the aircraft is from the view of someone on the belt of the treadmill. This person is stationary from their point of view, but the aircraft is moving. When the pilot looks at the belt of the treadmill he sees that he is moving, but if he observed a relatively fixed point, he would see that he is not moving. Now, we know air is a fluid and thus tends to stick to things, so there will be a small amount of air flowing over the wings, but not enough to generate the lift needed. Based on your theory, an aircraft could never land facing east because the earth is spinning too fast.
Face it, it's a flawed question.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 11:32 AM

[LOL]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 11:51 AM

Quote:
You "it will take off" people are assuming that the aircraft is moving forward relative to a fixed observer. Since no such observer is mention in the question, I assume the forward speed of the aircraft is from the view of someone on the belt of the treadmill. This person is stationary from their point of view, but the aircraft is moving. When the pilot looks at the belt of the treadmill he sees that he is moving, but if he observed a relatively fixed point, he would see that he is not moving. Now, we know air is a fluid and thus tends to stick to things, so there will be a small amount of air flowing over the wings, but not enough to generate the lift needed. Based on your theory, an aircraft could never land facing east because the earth is spinning too fast.
Face it, it's a flawed question.
No. The people that say it takes off understand that an airplane moves due to engines pushing air, NOT wheels being forced to turn. Relative location of the observer doesn't matter.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:

I think he's one of the people envisioning a static aircraft on a treadmill . . .[/b]
Willing to bet he's one of those people that are cornfused and think the engines drive the wheels.
Actually, no. I get how thrusters move the plane.

I'm from the "traditional role of a treadmill" crowd.

For those that say it will take off, then it will take a very long treadmill, about the length of a runway, perhaps? Where the wheels on the plane are spinning twice as fast as they would on a runway, right? That makes the treadmill a moot point. In fact .. that would be a conveyer belt .. not a treadmill, a subtle, but important difference.

A treadmill is supposed to simulate travel, but at the same time, confine actual movement to a space nearly the size of the object on it. SO going with that, if the plane ain't movin, it ain't gonna catch flight no matter how fast you get the wheels spinning with the treadmill.

The thrusters are superflous in the treadmill experiment. Cause as soon as you turn them on, it will drive off the treadmill onto pavment = fail.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
No. The people that say it takes off understand that an airplane moves due to engines pushing air, NOT wheels being forced to turn. Relative location of the observer doesn't matter.
I'm almost tempted to call the treadmill-and-wheels part of the ENTIRE argument a red herring.

Do whatever the fuck you want to the wheels with the treadmill. Forward. Backward. Faster. Slower. Whatever.

None of that will affect the airframe and the force of thrust being enacted upon the airframe.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]No. The people that say it takes off understand that an airplane moves due to engines pushing air, NOT wheels being forced to turn. Relative location of the observer doesn't matter.
I'm almost tempted to call the treadmill-and-wheels part of the ENTIRE argument a red herring.

Do whatever the fuck you want to the wheels with the treadmill. Forward. Backward. Faster. Slower. Whatever.

None of that will affect the airframe and the force of thrust being enacted upon the airframe.[/b]
Exactly. The tires spinning do not effect the motion of the plane.

Quote:
For those that say it will take off, then it will take a very long treadmill, about the length of a runway, perhaps?
Not "about" as long as a typically runway. EXACTLY as long as a typical runway. Take off distance of the plane will be the exact same as if it was a solid, non-moving surface underneath it. Again, the rotation of the tires do not effect the motion of the plane. There is no connection between the tires and the airframe, except a pin that allows the tires to rotate freely around it.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:12 PM

If the treadmill moves as fast as the plane it wont take off.

If the plane moves faster than the treadmill and builds up enough speed, yes it will.

Depends on how the question is worded.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:14 PM

Quote:
If the treadmill moves as fast as the plane it wont take off.

If the plane moves faster than the treadmill and builds up enough speed, yes it will.

Depends on how the question is worded.
So what if the treadmill is moving as fast as the plane? Does the movent of the treadmill restric the flow of air under the wings thus not lifting the plane?

For the plane to take off, there are two forces required: thrust and lift. The speed of runway or whether it's moving forwards or backwards has NO effect on those forces whatsoever.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:20 PM

well if the treadmill is moving just as fast as the plane, there is no wind to move over the wings to provide lift.....

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:22 PM

Quote:
well if the treadmill is moving just as fast as the plane, there is no wind to move over the wings to provide lift.....
Now you're just fucking with us, right? Right?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:25 PM

don't the wings need air resistance to lift the plane?

If you are running on a treadmill holding a hangglider, and you jump forward, will you fly?
no, there is no air resistance....

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:31 PM

READ THIS THREAD.....

Link to plane on treadmill thread...

That thread contains everything you wanted to know about a plane on a treadmill... but were afraid to ask.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:32 PM

Quote:
For those that say it will take off, then it will take a very long treadmill, about the length of a runway, perhaps?
Quote:
Not "about" as long as a typically runway. EXACTLY as long as a typical runway. Take off distance of the plane will be the exact same as if it was a solid, non-moving surface underneath it. Again, the rotation of the tires do not effect the motion of the plane. There is no connection between the tires and the airframe, except a pin that allows the tires to rotate freely around it.[/QB]
well, thats not really a treadmill now, is it?

look up the definition of treadmill. There is a key part to the definition, the object on the belt remains stationary. You got the plane moving a 1/4 mile or more = not stationary, ipso facto, your plane is not on a treadmill.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:32 PM

Quote:
Okay.

Stop focusing on the treadmill.
The wheels are free-rolling. The movement of the wheels and the treadmill DON'T MATTER.

The engines light up, start generating thrust, and propel the plane FORWARD. During this movement, the wheels are spinning a trillion miles an hour in whatever direction you like -- IT'S IMMATERIAL!

As the thrust pushes the airframe forward atop those little spinning wheels WE DON'T CARE ABOUT, the air is moving across the wings faster and faster, until enough lift is generated, and the plane takes off -- at approximately the exact same distance down the treadmill-runway as it would on a concrete-runway.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]don't the wings need air resistance to lift the plane?
Okay.

Stop focusing on the treadmill.
The wheels are free-rolling. The movement of the wheels and the treadmill DON'T MATTER.

The engines light up, start generating thrust, and propel the plane FORWARD. During this movement, the wheels are spinning a trillion miles an hour in whatever direction you like -- IT'S IMMATERIAL!

As the thrust pushes the airframe forward atop those little spinning wheels WE DON'T CARE ABOUT, the air is moving across the wings faster and faster, until enough lift is generated, and the plane takes off -- at approximately the exact same distance down the treadmill-runway as it would on a concrete-runway.[/b]
That means that the plane is moving faster than the treadmill, "propels forward".
I dont care about the wheels either. If it moves faster than the treadmill yes it will take off. But the treadmill is supposed to be moving as fast as the plane....

If you are running on a treadmill holding a hangglider, and you jump forward, will you fly?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:39 PM

Quote:
look up the definition of treadmill. There is a key part to the definition, the object on the belt remains stationary. You got the plane moving a 1/4 mile or more = not stationary, ipso facto, your plane is not on a treadmill.
If I put a fucking Weslo-Cadence ButtFucker 2000 in my home gym and walk in place on it, it's a treadmill.

If my cat jumps on the fucking thing and starts running forward, backwards and throwing up hairballs on it, has it suddenly become a towel-rack?

I get what the definition is. Alternating its use for ten minutes does not turn it into a big bowl of spaghetti or a luscious pair of tits.

It's still a treadmill.
Posted by: Claus

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:42 PM

If Mine has been sitting in the same place for 14 months collecting old condoms is it still a treadmill?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:43 PM

Chia, come shoot me in the head so I can get out of this fucking thread, will you please?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:48 PM

You guys have all lost your focus.
The orginal question, as posed on XOC, specified a Conveyer Belt, not a treadmill.
Any discussion of "treadmills" is therefore off topic and all such posts should be deleted out of respect for the original poster.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
How about this.....lets see if this can get to the ALR:

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
in the opposite direction).

Will the plane be able to take off?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]look up the definition of treadmill. There is a key part to the definition, the object on the belt remains stationary. You got the plane moving a 1/4 mile or more = not stationary, ipso facto, your plane is not on a treadmill.
If I put a fucking Weslo-Cadence ButtFucker 2000 in my home gym and walk in place on it, it's a treadmill.

If my cat jumps on the fucking thing and starts running forward, backwards and throwing up hairballs on it, has it suddenly become a towel-rack?

I get what the definition is. Alternating its use for ten minutes does not turn it into a big bowl of spaghetti or a luscious pair of tits.

It's still a treadmill.[/b]
is earth just a giant treadmill? I mean its rotating, i guess when i'm jogging I'm really on a treadmill?

The cat still remains relatively stationary. The longer you make the walking surface, the more it becomes a walkway. Not a towel rack.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:
If Mine has been sitting in the same place for 14 months collecting old condoms is it still a treadmill?
the condoms are stationary, aren't they [LOL]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
You guys have all lost your focus.
The orginal question, as posed on XOC, specified a Conveyer Belt, not a treadmill.
Any discussion of "treadmills" is therefore off topic and all such posts should be deleted out of respect for the original poster.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
[b]How about this.....lets see if this can get to the ALR:

[/b]
we're not in that thread, we're in this one, and it says treadmill.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:07 PM

Quote:

You are RUNNING down the tread mill by using feet to push off the treadmill. You misconception is here. A jet plane does NOT USE WHEELS to push off the tread mill, thus the speed of the given shitty fuckin' tread mill does not matter. laugh

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]don't the wings need air resistance to lift the plane?

You are RUNNING down the tread mill by using feet to push off the treadmill. You misconception is here. A jet plane does NOT USE WHEELS to push off the tread mill, thus the speed of the given shitty fuckin' tread mill does not matter. laugh [/b]
I wish someone had done this for me:

"Walk away, man. It's not worth it. It's not WORTH it!"

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:14 PM

ok, if the conveyer belt is moving as fast as plane, as stated in the original question.
Where does the air resistance come from to lift the plane?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:15 PM

Alright. Picture this, Chumpman.

You've seen a car on a dyno machine before. So, no matter how fast the car goes, the rollers of the dyno will keep the car in place, because they spin at the same speed as the tires.

Now, imagine a jet plane on a dyno. You put all of it's wheels on the rollers, fire the engines and the rollers would not spin, the plane will propel itself forward going over the rollers because the power does not come through the wheels. Thus, the speed of the treadmill is irrelevant.

What's going to end up happening, is that the wheels of the plane taking off will spin at twice the speed they normally would, given any speed the plane reaches during take off (since the treadmill mathes the speed of the plane, but in the other direction).

Plane lifts off with the wheels spinning twice the speed they normally would, that's all.

A treadmill moving in the opposite direction of the plane, does provide enough force to counteract the thurst of the plane.

If it did apply enough force going in the opposite direction of the plane to stop it from lifting off, then it's logical to think that if it treadmill was standing still, it would provide HALF of that force? According to your logic it is so, however it's not. Think about it.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:22 PM

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:23 PM

it isnt asking if the engines power the wheels.
I know that they dont.
Your saying that a plane is on a set of rollers that dont move in the opposite direction...

"This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
in the opposite direction)."

If you are saying that the wheels are moving twice as fast, then the conveyer is not matching the planes speed. the plane is going faster.

Doesnt matter what pushes the plane, if it can not get the air resistnace ( due to the Conveyer belt moving AT THE SAME speed in the opposite direction) under the wings It will not take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:38 PM

Quote:

If you are saying that the wheels are moving twice as fast, then the conveyer is not matching the planes speed. the plane is going faster.
No.

The SPEED of the wheels will be the exact same as the aircraft. They're fixed to the plane in the horizontal & vertical axis. However, they're not fixed in the Z axis, which means:

The ROTATIONAL VELOCITY (the only thing the treadmill can actually effect on the plane) will be faster than the treadmill is moving.

But we don't really give a damn about the ROTATIONAL VELOCITY of the wheels, do we? We care about the SPEED of the aircraft. Which, while the treadmill accelerates in the opposite direction as the plane accelerates, they do not have any shared forces whatsoever. The treadmill causes ROTATIONAL VELOCITY/ACCELERATION of the tires, only. The plane causes DIRECTIONAL velocity/acceleration of the tires via the pin that holds them in place (the axle shaft).

There are 3 dimensions of movement, here, and you're not realizing the Plane effects 2 of them (moving forward (x-axis) & upward (y-axis)). The treadmill effects the 3rd (causing rotation of the tires about the Z axis). ANY force about the Z-AXIS does NOT counteract ANY force about the X or Y axis.

You're still confusing rotational veloctiy of the tires as the speed of the plane. It's not. The two are not interchangeable properties.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:45 PM

No, it DOES match the plane's speed. But despite that the planes still takes off because the rotating speed of the wheels doesn't matter in relationship to the forward thrust provided by the engines. Don't get caught up with the wheels. What if it was a slick surface and the plane was on skis or skates? Would the plane take off? It doesn't even have wheels now.

The only point at which the speed of the conveyor matters at all is if it can create enough speed to in turn create enough drag to counter thrust. That's it. As long as thrust is sufficiently greater than drag, the plane flies. Like I said before at that point it isn't matching the speed of the plane but vastly exceeding it and outside the scope of the question.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:51 PM

Quote:
it isnt asking if the engines power the wheels.
I know that they dont.
Your saying that a plane is on a set of rollers that dont move in the opposite direction...

Doesnt matter what pushes the plane, if it can not get the air resistnace ( due to the Conveyer belt moving AT THE SAME speed in the opposite direction) under the wings It will not take off.
Okay. Maybe this will help.

Pretend you're holding a toy plane in your hand. You go "vroom vroom vroom", and make the plane fly all over the Toy Section at WalMart. With me?

Okay. Your hand is the engine. It's the thrust. Remember this.

Now: You walk with mommy over to the exercise equipment section. Oooh! Cool treadmills, mommy!

You see one running. You put your little toy plane on the treadmill. Oooooh! See how the tires spin!?

Now a saleslady comes over, and turns the treadmill up faster (I don't know why -- that's not safe, you crazy bitch, you'll rip a kid's hand off that way) . . . I digress.

So the treadmill is moving faster. Whee! Oh, the plane's wheels are moving faster too!

Now, you move the plane forward with your hand (thrust). Notice that the plane's wheels are still spinning?! Oooh! The plane is going, like, 500 mph, so fast! And the treadmill is spinning 500 mph in the opposite direction! So fast, mommy! And yet, you are able to easily move the plane forward for takeoff . . .

The treadmill/conveyor belt/rollers/towel rack/bowl of spaghetti/luscious tits/used condom storage rack has NO EFFECT on the plane itself.

Any of that getting through?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:51 PM

The plane will not move forward on a conveyer belt moving the same speed in the opposite direction, wether it is on wheels, or just sliding on its belly.
If the plane does not move forward, it does not take off. If it moves forward on the Conveyer belt, it is going faster than the conveyer belt.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:52 PM

Quote:
The plane will not move forward on a conveyer belt moving the same speed in the opposite direction, wether it is on wheels, or just sliding on its belly.
If the plane does not move forward, it does not take off.
[Freak]

He's gotta be fucking with us. Gotta.

I mean, right?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:53 PM

I believe some people forgot to release the hand brake.
This thread is killing me. [Laughing] [Laughing] [Laughing]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:55 PM

If it moves forward on the Conveyer belt, it is going faster than the conveyer belt...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:56 PM

Quote:
Since today is Friday, that fact is irrelevant.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 01:58 PM

Quote:
If it moves forward on the Conveyer belt, it is going faster than the conveyer belt...
No, sweetie, it isn't.

The WHEELS might be moving faster than the belt.

Cessnas lift off at an airspeed around 80 mph, IIRC.

Crank that conveyor belt sumbitch up to 300 mph if you like, the plane will still accelerate to 80 mph and liftoff . . .

TANGENT:
Do they take off at 80 mph? Or is that the recommended landing speed? Now I can't remember . . .

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:00 PM

Lets remove the treadmill for a second and set the plane on some saw horses (figuratively speaking the wheels are off the ground) Now make the wheels spin a million miles an hour can the plane take off?? No because there is no fucking wind over the wings.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:01 PM

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:03 PM

Quote:
Lets remove the treadmill for a second and set the plane on some saw horses (figuratively speaking the wheels are off the ground) Now make the wheels spin a million miles an hour can the plane take off?? No because there is no fucking wind over the wings.
What happens if the wheels are spinning in the opposite directions in this case?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:03 PM

Quote:
no no, thats actually right. the plane will move faster. thats the only way it can travel down this long not-a-treadmill.

lets say our plane takes flight, on a runway, at 150 MPH. on runway, ground speed (respective to the runway) = air speed.

On the treadmill, if the plane takes off, its air speed = 150. However, the ground speed is 300 (relative to the tread belt).

You have the plane AND the treadmill both spinning the wheels. Their point is, wheel speed has no effect on the rate of travel.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:07 PM

Heres another example. I am jogging on a treadmill and I fart...I dont move forward do I ?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:07 PM

Let's assume we put the plane in the 3x3 mode, rear diff locked...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Lets remove the treadmill for a second and set the plane on some saw horses (figuratively speaking the wheels are off the ground) Now make the wheels spin a million miles an hour can the plane take off?? No because there is no fucking wind over the wings.
What happens if the wheels are spinning in the opposite directions in this case?[/b]
Then we'll solve global warming. Huzzah!

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:17 PM

I posed this question to my wife, and told her there was a big debate going on at XOC about this.

Her response was: How many XOC members still live with their moms?

She'd appreciate some prompt replies.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:19 PM

Quote:
I posed this question to my wife, and told her there was a big debate going on at XOC about this.

We'd appreciate some pictures wink

And no I dont live with my mom....she might know the answer though

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:20 PM

Quote:

Have to go ask my mom.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:26 PM

OK, I got the plane, heading to the gym now.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:31 PM

I'm back.
It flew, but very low. eek
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 02:50 PM

Here's my take on it

In the theoretical description of the question, the end result will be a plane throw off the end of the conveyor-belt-runway and destroyed.

In a real-life attempt at the question, the plane will take off.

Explanation:
If the conveyor belt actually move at a rate exactly the same as the relative speed of the plane on the ground (which at ground level would be the same as its airspeed, as soon as there is enough thrust to move the plane forward, the speed of the conveyor belt (and the rotation of the planes tires) would increase exponentially towards infinity to compensate. This speed would result result in catastrophic failure of the plane's wheel bearings and axles, and the plane would then be violently tossed off the end of the moving runway by the infinitely-fast-moving conveyor belt since there was no longer a spinning wheel to aid in friction loss between the plane and runway.

In real-life, it would not be possible to create a conveyor-belt-runway that could increase in speed to compensate for the thrust of the plane's engines, so the conveyor belt would never get up enough speed to keep the plane in one position, and the plane would takeoff.

[Finger]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 03:39 PM

You can't-flyers check out that thread that's been linked to about five times and scan for posts by TJ or JeffW. They've got good explanations. I like to think some of my analogies were pretty good, too.

One of my examples-The aircraft is already airborne and on approach to the conveyor/runway for a touch-and-go. The runway is spinning at exactly the same speed in the opposite direction, just like when it took off. Now, when the aircraft touches down (no brakes, remember, doing a touch-and-go) will it immediately come to a complete stop and be unable to take off again (do the "go" part)?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 03:40 PM

After all this I'm left with wondering how a plane on a movable platform (conveyor/treadmill) can generate enough air over the wings to achieve lift.

But doesn't this whole thing ride on if the plane moves forward on this infinite treadmill? If it sits still because the belt keeps up with its thrust, it will never take off.

If the plane can over come the rolling resistance to move forward eventually it will.

That sound right?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 03:58 PM

The belt can only spin the wheels, it cannot counteract the thrust of the engines. If someone throws a skateboard at you, can you stop it by touching the bottom of the wheels?

The movement of the conveyor and aircraft are independent of each other. The wheels serve to reduce friction and guarantee independent movement.

Another blast from the past:

There's a car in a northbound lane traveling at 60 mph, and a car in the southbound lane traveling at 60 mph. They have no effect on each other.

Now suppose the highway is perfectly straight and the southbound car has an enormous vertical board attached to the left side, miles long. The northbound car has a set of non-geared, free-spinning wheels on its left side. Supposing that both cars drive straight and the wheels remain in constant contact with the board, what happens

Each car travels at 60 mph, the wheels on the side rotate at a rate of 120 mph. If they have a standing start and accelerate at the same rate, they still would be able to move in opposite directions and the free-spinning wheels would spin at twice the rate of the drive tires.

Hence, the cars are not "equal and opposite forces" because they are not opposing, just like the conveyor is not opposing the plane.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Since today is Friday, that fact is irrelevant.[/b]
In that case...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 04:16 PM

Maybe this example could convince people...

A hovercraft is over a conveyor belt. It moves foward as it wishes, regardless of the conveyor belt.

Now instead of air being forced down on the conveyor belt, put wheels (FREESPINNING - that's key) on the hovercraft.

No difference. It will STILL move forward.

Well shit...who am I kidding...that STILL is not going to convince people.

Another reason the original question is worded badly - IF the wheels had enough friction to overcome the engine thrust, then the plane would not take off...but that is NOT going to happen - the wheels are going to fall apart before that happens.

And just for the record, I was one of those who thought it would *not* take off - based on the friction problem.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 06:03 PM

Quote:
Another reason the original question is worded badly - IF the wheels had enough friction to overcome the engine thrust, then the plane would not take off...but that is NOT going to happen - the wheels are going to fall apart before that happens.
Here's some other helpful information along those lines..

IF the wheels generated so much friction the plane's engines couldn't overcome it, a plane would NEVER be able to take off... It wouldn't move at all...

The reality of it is, you could lock up the wheels completely so they can't rotate at all, and the plane's engines will STILL generate enough thrust to overcome the friction between the tires and the pavement...

So there's no way in hell the friction of the tires spinning will overcome the thrust of the engine...

And to put two and two together... If the friction of the tires CAN'T overcome the thrust of the engine, than the tires can be spinning in ANY direction for ANY reason (a treadmill, in this hypothetical), and the plane still takes off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 06:15 PM

Nope, not buying it.

And the skateboard and cars passing each other are poor analogies.

To me this is no different then being on a bike thats on a treadmill. The treadmill moves backwards at the same speed my wheels move forward.

If you come up behind me and push me, and the treadmill compensates for the added forward motion (as the original problem states), I will stay in the same place.

To me, thats what the plane and its thrust do.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgPath:
Nope, not buying it.

To me this is no different then being on a bike thats on a treadmill. The treadmill moves backwards at the same speed my wheels move forward.

If you come up behind me and push me, and the treadmill compensates for the added forward motion (as the original problem states), I will stay in the same place.

That's a fantastic explanation!
I love this thread more and more!

U N F U C K I N G B E L I E V A B L E !

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 07:15 PM

Quote:
Nope, not buying it.

Explain the hovercraft. Or the example I used on ice skates.

The jet engines' thrust is enough to move the plane relative to earth (regardless of what's under it - a treadmill, a conveyor belt, ice, water, whatever). If it's moving relative to earth, it's also moving relative to the air (assuming a calm day). This moves the wings through the air to create lift.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 07:16 PM

Quote:
Nope, not buying it.

You're killing me... [Finger]

Just wait 'til your in town next weekend. I'll take you out to the airfield and let you stand behind a 747-200 as it spools up to break-away thrust... It'll be like flying a Kevin Kite.

I assure you. The plane takes off. NOTHING on the ground, spinning the tires, is going to prevent those engines from moving the plane. The earth below it can move at whatever speed it wants; doesn't matter.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qkcVGwhzlY

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 07:30 PM

Quote:
Nope, not buying it.

LOL

The treadmill in your scenario does speed up but has ALMOST NO EFFECT on the bike because the wheels on the bike are free spinning. Apply the brakes and that is another story (and a funny video to be sure)

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 08:07 PM

OK. Had a revelation. This is as simple a logic for explanation as you're ever going to see.

Step 1:

Ask yourself, "What moves a plane?".

Answer: Engines pushing air: called thrust (equal/opposite reaction, blah blah.)

Step 2:

Ask yourself, "Can the tires move a plane?"

Answer: No. There is no connection between an aircraft's engine and it's tires; look all you want; there's no driveshaft...

Step 3:

Ask yourself, "If there is a conveyor belt under a tire, and the conveyor belt moves, do the tires spin?"

Answer: Yes.

Step 4:

Finally make the ONLY logical conclusion, "If the conveyor belt spins the tires (Step 3), but the tires don't move an airplane (Step 2), then the conveyor has no effect on the plane moving."

Thank you. Goodnight.

[Wave]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 08:34 PM

Tires dont move the plane....correct.

Air resistance over the wings give it lift.

An airplane on a treadmill has no wind resistnace.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 09:37 PM

Chumpmann- your name indicates to me that you're trolling us.

The skateboard and touch-and-go analogies are apt. Those who say the plane won't fly are essentially holding the position that you can stop a thrown skateboard by touching the bottom of its wheels while its in midflight, or that a plane attempting a touch-and-go would stop the instant it hits the conveyor.

Both contentions are patently wrong.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 09/11/07 09:48 PM

Quote:
Chumpmann- your name indicates to me that you're trolling us.

The skateboard and touch-and-go analogies are apt. Those who say the plane won't fly are essentially holding the position that you can stop a thrown skateboard by touching the bottom of its wheels while its in midflight, or that a plane attempting a touch-and-go would stop the instant it hits the conveyor.

Both contentions are patently wrong.
::ETA:: I think I realized Chumpmann's hangup. Here ya go-

Lift is not required for an aircraft to move. Planes can taxi without flying, and they do it without powering the wheels. Because the plane can move forward by propelling air, no force against the bottom of the wheels can stop it.

Lift is not required for a plane to gain horizontal movement. Horizontal movement will lead to lift, not the other way around. The conveyor cannot prevent this, not if it spins at 1000x the speed of an aircraft.

::ETA::: Whoops

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 07:24 AM

You all fail to accept that there is relativity involved here. The speed of the treadmill relative to the plane is different to the speed of the treadmill relative to ground observer. I've said it before. In this example, the plane moves forward on the belt at a given speed. The belt moves backward at the same speed. By definition, the plane isn't going anyplace. If you apply more thrust, the plane moves forward faster than the belt is moving backward. In order to take off, the plane must move faster than the belt, otherwise its place in space doesn't change, only it's position on the belt.

Maybe this will clear things up for everyone. If you put a guy on the treadmill standing still and he shoots a radar gun at the airplane, he shows that it is departing his position at 300mph. The pilot shoots a radar gun down at the runway and shows the runway whizzing past at 300mph. Since by definition the treadmill belt is moving, the plane is stationary in space and thus has no air flowing over the wings and thus creating no lift. The engines are simply maintaining the aircraft's 300mph forward movement along the belt. If you shut off the engines, the airplane would drift backward until its wheels lost their inertia, then it too would begin to move backward at 300 mph.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 07:50 AM

Anybody who has some extra time can try this.

Get a box/window fan and put some wheels on the bottom set it on a treadmill and turn it on high. It should move forward on the treadmill. Now crank the treadmill up to 10mph and observe what happens. The fan is still moving air but likely the fan will break when it goes flying off the treadmill into the wall.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 07:54 AM

Quote:
The answer is yes....basically for the reason I stated.

If you are running on a treadmill, and someone who is not on the treadmill pushes you from behind, will you move forward on the treadmill even though your running speed hasn't changed?

You = Airplane
someone pushing you = engine thrust.
No you wont move forward because the treadmill is supposed to speed up to compensate

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 08:09 AM

So those of you who think it will NOT fly...

Why haven't any of you tackled the ice skate scenario?

Or the hovercraft scenario.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 08:13 AM

The hovercraft scenario is stupid it is different forces acting...Thats like saying if a plane is flying at 5,000 feet and somebody turns on a treadmill does the plane go backwards.....The ice skating one I haven't read and dont feel like searching for

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 10:19 AM

Quote:
The hovercraft scenario is stupid it is different forces acting...Thats like saying if a plane is flying at 5,000 feet and somebody turns on a treadmill does the plane go backwards

Actually, it's not different forces. Not if you put those free running wheels on the hovercraft.

Quote:
.....The ice skating one I haven't read and dont feel like searching for
Ah...too lazy to admit you're wrong, then.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 10:50 AM

You guys do realize that it's been almost a year since the original thread was started.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 11:01 AM

This helped my friends see... You have a AWD car on a AWD dino, no matter how fast those tires spin the car goes no where. You put a fucking JEt engine on the roof that produces thousands of pounds of thrust and start it up, your telling me that the car would not move? Too many beers drank one night on this one.

The plane will take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 12:53 PM

Infx, the plane moves forward relative to the belt and relative to an outside observer.

The conveyor can only push on the bottom of the wheels, causing them to spin. No matter how fast the conveyor goes, it can only spin the wheels.

The plane moves forward by acting on the air, not on the tread.

BTW, if the aircraft goes nowhere, it has no speed. If it does stay in one position, it has NO SPEED and therefore the conveyor would have no speed. The plane accelerates to 10 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed), the conveyor moves in the other direction at 10 knots, the wheels rotate at a rate of 20 knots. The conveyor is powerless to halt or apply equal force to the aircraft because the thrust works to move the entire plane along, while the conveyor can only puch on the bottom of the wheels.

infx, did you read my examples with the skateboard or the aircraft doing a touch-and-go? If the aircraft doing a touch and go would stop on a dime (as your answer indicates) the navy would save billions on carrier suitability testing and you could land anything with wheels on a 200 mile ling conveyor/runway.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 04:50 PM

Quote:
After all this I'm left with wondering how a plane on a movable platform (conveyor/treadmill) can generate enough air over the wings to achieve lift.

But doesn't this whole thing ride on if the plane moves forward on this infinite treadmill? If it sits still because the belt keeps up with its thrust, it will never take off.

If the plane can over come the rolling resistance to move forward eventually it will.

That sound right?
Quote:
You all fail to accept that there is relativity involved here. The speed of the treadmill relative to the plane is different to the speed of the treadmill relative to ground observer. I've said it before. In this example, the plane moves forward on the belt at a given speed. The belt moves backward at the same speed. By definition, the plane isn't going anyplace. If you apply more thrust, the plane moves forward faster than the belt is moving backward. In order to take off, the plane must move faster than the belt, otherwise its place in space doesn't change, only it's position on the belt.

Maybe this will clear things up for everyone. If you put a guy on the treadmill standing still and he shoots a radar gun at the airplane, he shows that it is departing his position at 300mph. The pilot shoots a radar gun down at the runway and shows the runway whizzing past at 300mph. Since by definition the treadmill belt is moving, the plane is stationary in space and thus has no air flowing over the wings and thus creating no lift. The engines are simply maintaining the aircraft's 300mph forward movement along the belt. If you shut off the engines, the airplane would drift backward until its wheels lost their inertia, then it too would begin to move backward at 300 mph.
These two explain it all.

Yes the engines will "move" the plane. Who cares about what is holding up the plane, wheels, on ice, hovering or whatever.

The treadmill is going to prevent air resistance from passing over/under the wings, because the airplane is not moving against any air.

No one has said where the air is coming from to provide the lift for the wings.

The plane will move, yes. But not Fly.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 05:08 PM

John can we set up a real world test next weekend? smile

Still not buying the the plane will take off. Move forward? Ok. I'll buy that. Achive enough forward motion to generate enough lift?

Nope.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 07:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]After all this I'm left with wondering how a plane on a movable platform (conveyor/treadmill) can generate enough air over the wings to achieve lift.

That sound right?
Quote:

These two explain it all.

Yes the engines will "move" the plane. Who cares about what is holding up the plane, wheels, on ice, hovering or whatever.

The treadmill is going to prevent air resistance from passing over/under the wings, because the airplane is not moving against any air.

No one has said where the air is coming from to provide the lift for the wings.

The plane will move, yes. But not Fly.[/b]
How the hell does a treadmill produce a vacuum???? The air that flows over the wings to create lift is already there...You're making this much harder than it has to be.

If the plane can move, it will take off because the wheels are not providing any propulsion. If the treadmill is moving at all then the plane is moving and if the plane moves then it takes off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 07:30 PM

Tyler, I already gave up trying to prove that the plane will take off. It's a lost cause. laugh

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 08:58 PM

Quote:
Tyler, I already gave up trying to prove that the plane will take off. It's a lost cause. laugh
Don't give up, this thread is the most entertaining thing I've read in a while. laugh

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 09:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Tyler, I already gave up trying to prove that the plane will take off. It's a lost cause. laugh
Don't give up, this thread is the most entertaining thing I've read in a while. laugh [/b]
Tony, I can't give up when I see conceptual leaps across the Grand Canyon...makes my brain hurt laugh

vitaly, check out the original thread...titled something along the lines of "Know that if you don't post in this thread today the world will end" or some such crap.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 10/11/07 10:03 PM

Quote:
John can we set up a real world test next weekend? smile

Still not buying the the plane will take off. Move forward? Ok. I'll buy that. Achive enough forward motion to generate enough lift?

Nope.
If it can move forward an inch, then it can move forward enough (given enough take-off distance) to take off. Plain and simple.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 02:52 AM

Quote:
Infx, the plane moves forward relative to the belt and relative to an outside observer.

The conveyor can only push on the bottom of the wheels, causing them to spin. No matter how fast the conveyor goes, it can only spin the wheels.

The plane moves forward by acting on the air, not on the tread.

BTW, if the aircraft goes nowhere, it has no speed. If it does stay in one position, it has NO SPEED and therefore the conveyor would have no speed. The plane accelerates to 10 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed), the conveyor moves in the other direction at 10 knots, the wheels rotate at a rate of 20 knots. The conveyor is powerless to halt or apply equal force to the aircraft because the thrust works to move the entire plane along, while the conveyor can only puch on the bottom of the wheels.

infx, did you read my examples with the skateboard or the aircraft doing a touch-and-go? If the aircraft doing a touch and go would stop on a dime (as your answer indicates) the navy would save billions on carrier suitability testing and you could land anything with wheels on a 200 mile ling conveyor/runway.
The plane cannot move forward relative to both at the same speed. Not going to happen, unless the fixed observer is also moving forward in space, in which case he wouldn't be fixed. A touch and go has nothing to do with it, unless it's a Harrier dropping straight down and going back up, which is outside the scope of the question. In the question the plane is not moving forward in space. In order for it to match the rearward speed of the treadmill, it can't move forward or backward of it's present position in space. Basically, you are trying to tell me that the treadmill is spinning the airplanes wheels and thus it takes off. While there is some airflow from the treadmill, there is not enough to generate lift. In order for lift to occur, the plane has to move forward of its present location in space. Since is is only moving forward of its current position on the belt, it is static in space. The engine just keeps it moving forward on the belt at the current speed of the belt. Now, if you applied more thrust and moved it forward along the belt faster than the belt is moving backward along its track, then yes, the bird will fly, but then it has exceeded the parameters of the question. If you really think the conveyor will just spin the wheels, you're not being realistic. Sooner or later the force of the belt pushing backward will overcome the "at rest" inertia of the plane. It will need forward thrust to maintain a forward speed equal to the belt's reverse speed, i.e. maintain its place in space.

I think this is a question dreamed up by philosophy majors as payback to engineers for making the following joke:
Q: What's an engineer say? A: How Does it work? Q: What's a scientist say? A: Why does it work? Q: What's a liberal arts major say? A: Do you want fries with that?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 07:55 AM

Geez.

It is utterly amazing how many of you dumbasses haven't taken high school Physics I.

The plane takes off.

Ancient History

The correct answer has been well explained:

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Ritchey:
I admit I didn't read all 52 pages, just 15, so maybe it was mentioned in the remaining pages, but I just want to add a few things.

[b]Definitions
  • wind speed: speed of the air relative to the plane, 100mph wind speed means the wind is moving 100mph across the wings.
  • Global Perspective: This is the perspective being observed from the outside world, an example would be some one not standing on the tread mill watching the plane try to take off
  • Scenario perspective: Perspective from the plane, relative to the treadmill
  • Relative speed: speed of the treadmill as observed from the Scenario perspective, aka the plane
  • Absolute speed: speed of the treadmill as observed from the Global perspective.

Assumptions
  1. conveyor belt only moves the ground below the plane, not the air around the plane, and moves in the opposite direction the plane is trying to move.
  2. weather is ideal and wind is calm (0MPH).
  3. group speed = air speed since the plane is on the ground.
  4. wheels are freewheeling, ie there is little if any rotational friction between the wheel and the object it is attached to.
  5. plane would be able to take off if the tread mill was kept stationary.

Facts
  1. lift if determined by the wind speed over the wings.
  2. Thrust produced by the engines (prop or turbine) applies a force against the air.
  3. Thrust is dependent on wind speed, the higher the wind speed the lower the thrust, and vice versa.
  4. Force from the thrusters is what propels the plane and not the wheels.
  5. air is a fluid

ProofThe tread mill doesn't effect the speed of the wind:Lets just say for the sake of argument that the tread mill does move the air around the plane at the same rate as the treadmill. If the plane is trying to go down the run way and is stationary from the global perspective the the wind will increase in speed as it passes over the wings. This equivalent wind speed will cause enough lift for the plane to take off, this scenario is essentially the same as if it was going down a normal run way. So we know that the tread mill does not effect the planes air speed because if it did it would be able to lift off.

If we look at a force diagram, the engines produces thrust forward by "throwing" air backwards and pushes against the air already present which produces a force pointing in the forward direction, this is because of newtons third law, equal and opposite reaction. So a force backwards produces a force forwards. The ONLY way for the plane to stand still from the global perspective is to have another force applied to the plane that would counter act this forward force, other wise the plane will move forward since F=ma (Force = mass X acceleration). Here are some possible options that could produce the required force to prevent:
  1. Air resistance, which is determiend by surface area and wind speed
  2. Excessive friction between the plane and the ground, for example Wheel Brakes are applied, or wheels are not present wheels.
  3. Plane is chained to a solid anchor

As seen by the fact that a high enough wind speed would creates lift and allow the plane to take off we can rule out wind, as enough wind the keep the plane stationary would surely allow it to take off.

Now if we make the assumption that the plane would be able to take off if the treadmill is kept still like a normal run way we can safely assume that plane has little resistance relative to the force generated by the thrusters. And that there is nothing nothing else binding the plane such as it being anchored. So we are safe to assume the airplane is not held by any external constraints.

Plus we know the wheel brakes are not applied because otherwise the plane would not be able to move anyways and the question is a trick question smile

So without any kind of constraints it is impossible for a plane to not move from a global perspective when it is at full throttle because there is no resistance to the forward force and because thrust and wind speed are inversely proportional therefor there will be a force acting on the plane moving it forward increasing the wind speed over the wing allowing for take off.

... In summary
The planes method of propulsion acts on the global perspective and not on the relative perspective allowing it to move in the global perspective as well, even if the wind was acted form a relative perspective it would be able to take off since it would have a high enough wind speed.

so yeah, the plane can take off regardless...[/b]
Quote:
The plane takes off in approximately the same distance necessary on a conveyor belt as it does on a regular runway.

Since Blue-Sky is mentioning his 20 years "aviation" experience, I guess I'll throw mine into the hat, even though it too has no bearing on the problem... I'm an airport designer. Civil Engineer. I design Runways, Taxiways, Aprons, and all things associated except the electrical & navigational equipment. I've been doing this for 6 years, now.

I assure you, the friction of the wheel bearings does not matter to the plane taking off. How's that? Because different surfaces have different coefficients of friction already. Asphalt runways have different coeff. than concrete. Significantly different on paper; absolutely no difference in the real world. Why's that? Because both numbers are so small in relationship to the take-off thrust of any aircraft that it doesn't matter.

[b]READ BELOW COMPLETELY FOR AS SIMPLE AN EXPLANATION AS YOU CAN GET ON WHY THE AIRPLANE WILL TAKE OFF

An aircraft's engine PUSHES (jet) / PULLS (prop) the aircraft along the ground. This results in a horizontal force on the axles of the aircarft because they are fixed rigidly to the aircraft. The by-product of this force is it causes ROTATION of the tires around the axles. The tires do nothing more than rotate around the axle; they do not cause any horizontal movement.

If a conveyor belt were under the tires, it too would cause rotation of the tires around the axles. But, it can not cause any movement and/or restriction of movement of the axles, as the tires do nothing but free-spin around them. Again, the conveyor belt spins the tires, but does not exert any horizontal force on the axle. You can test this "theory" by jacking up your truck (get a whole axle up in the air), and spinning a free-wheeled tire from below. The tire will spin, but the truck will NOT move. This is not because you aren't spinning the tire fast enough; spin it as fast as you want, and the truck still will not move. The truck can't move, because all the force you apply goes into spinning the tire; none of it is a horizontal force on the axle.

Summing the forces in the horizontal direction gives you a positive force from the engines, and 0 negative force, as the conveyor belt can not move the axles of the plane regardless of how fast it spins.

From Newton, Force = Mass x Acceleration. So divide the sum of the Forces (the engine force only as shown in the above paragraph) and divide by the Mass of the plane. What you get is the Acceleration of the aircraft. The friction is negligable, as it is an extremely small number compared to the Force.

The net result is the aircraft accelerates down the runway, and eventually obtains flight once there's enough lift provided by the air passing over the wings.

END EXPLANATION

And, it will reach its takeoff speed at the same distance down the runway as it would without the conveyor belt. The additional friction of the tires as they spin twice as fast is not enough to make a significant difference. Dynamic friction levels off at a certain point, and for all practical purposes remains a constant level whether the tire spins at 150 mph or 300 mph.

Editorial Comments...:
While this is a physics, it's also a Statics & Dynamics problem. A problem like this would be taught in a 200 level Engineering Dynamics course, and any Engineer that can't answer it with only a fleeting glance ought to take some continuing education classes in a hurry...[/b]
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Relevant information:

Let's agree on what assumptions are sensible then. All of the assumptions below apply to virtually all aircraft.

Plane is powered by engines that push air (props or jets)
Plane's speed is measured by a windspeed meter as well as GPS
Plane's wheels spin freely
Wheel friction is negligible when compared to thrust
Newtonian physics apply

Coefficient of dynamic friction:

Force of friction:

F(f) = -uN

(negative because it opposes motion)

u = coefficient of static friction

N = weight of plane

Notice velocity is not included!

That means that the velocity of the conveyor belt is irrelevant for all practical purposes.

F(t) is force of thrust

a = (F(t)+F(f))/m

You won't find a scenario where |F(f)| is greater than |F(t)|. Therefore, in ALL cases the plane moves with respect to the atmosphere, thus achieving lift.

Possible scenario:

t = 0 :

Plane 0 mph
Conveyor 0 mph
Wheels 0 mph

t = 15 :

Plane 60 mph
Conveyor 60 mph
Wheels spin @ 120 mph

t = 55:

Plane 160 mph
Conveyor 160 mph
Wheels spin @ 320 mph

The plane takes off.

Either learn why it is correct or refute it....

..scientifically.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 08:30 AM

Once again, you are not taking into account relativity. From your explanation, the plane will fly because it is moving forward relative to a fixed point in space. By that method, the treadmill is irrelevant to the question. It simply becomes will the plane fly once it reaches a certain speed as observed form a fixed point in space. Of course it will. Now, if observed from the treadmill, which is where I take it the speed is measured from, then the plane is sitting still in space. The plane is maintain its speed relative to the belt, NOT to the surrounding air and space. If it accelerates, then it has moved beyond the speed of the belt beneath it and thus moved forward in space.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 09:12 AM

Now you are making assumptions and distorting the actual problem at hand. It's been proven that plane takes off and relativity does not matter because relativity has no effect on the forces at hand that do make the plane lift off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 09:31 AM

infx, The problem does not state that the plane matches the speed of the belt, it says that the belt matches the speed of the plane.

"Relativity" has fuck-all to do with it. No E=mc'2 here.

The casual observer not on the conveyor would watch the plane take off as any other plane on a normal runway would.

The conveyor cannot keep the plane in place because it exerts force only on its wheels, which rotate to negate friction.

A plane with its gear locked up, if it powered up, would move forward on a fixed surface. It would not be smooth, but it would move. Trust me. Now is that more or less friction than the conveyor acting on free spinning wheels?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 09:50 AM

Relativity can be brought in play, but from that standpoint what matters is the motion of the plane relative to the air particles that provide the lift.

The engines will cause the plane to move forward relative to the air around it, so it takes off. (assuming the wheels are spinning freely, so the spinning conveyor belt is helpless to counteract the force of the engines' thrust against said air particles.)
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 09:50 AM

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 10:15 AM

Ok, Lets forget all the analogies. Dynos arent a good example, they only move the wheels. A treadmill will move the whole object.

How about the analogy of a plane on a treadmill.

A plane sits on a treadmill, on a calm day, no wind, it is 72 degrees. There is a tree in the ground next to the plane even with the tail.
Now, the treadmill starts to move, the plane starts to move backward on the treadmill. The pilot looks out his window and sees the tree moving from behind him towards him, as the plane is moving backwards on the treadmill. Now the engines start to push the plane to the speed of the treadmill, the tree is now even with the pilot as the engines push the plane, to be even with the tree, on the treadmill. Now as the engines push more the treadmill goes faster, the pilot can look out his window and see the same tree, not moving.
The engines push faster, the treadmill moves faster, the tree is still even with the pilot as he looks out his window. The air around the wings of the plane is as still as the trees next to the plane, the pilot can move his flaps all he wants, he does not have the air resistance to take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 11:09 AM

All you're doing is creating a bit of a tail wind, which the plane's engines will quickly over come.

Unless the pilot throttles back to intensionally not overcome the tree.

How about this, instead of slowly starting the tread mill (with the plane at rest), have it start suddenly/quickly with a jerk, like yanking the table cloth out from under a set table. The planes' inertia will keep it from moving backwards and the wheels will just spin on the tread mill while the plane stays motionless relative to the tree.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 11:17 AM

Hey Chump.

Please explain how a treadmill rotating the wheels on an aircraft can counteract the force of motion of the plane generated by the plane's engines.

Seriously. Please explain this. It is a physical impossibility that a 1st year physics student must learn in order to pass the course. It's a very simple relationship of forces and moments. A moment (spinning the tire) can NOT cancel out a Force. You sum the FORCES in all directions, and you sum the MOMENTS in all directions. But you can NOT add/subtract a MOMENT from a FORCE. They are two different physical things.

Please, before you continue spouting your insanity, PLEASE do yourself a favor and learn the definitions of forces and moments, and how they are used with regards to motions of an object. Maybe, just maybe, once you figure that out, you will be able to understand why the plane can take off. Until you understand the differences in those two properties, however, you're going to continue walking around with your head in the sand.

So with that, I'm done. If somebody can't understand the simple logic between a Force and a Moment, then they can't have a logical conversation on this simple physics problem. And talking with an idiot only makes everybody else feel like an idiot...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 11:17 AM

that isnt the question.
It is that the plane is moving at the same speed as the treadmill and vice versa, not faster than the treadmill.
If the plane moves forward on the treadmill, that means it is going faster than the treadmill.

If you suddenly start the treadmill, the plane will eventually start to move backwards, until the engines push it to the same speed as the treadmill.

It doesnt matter if there are wheels or not, if it is sliding on its belly, and the engines are pushing the plane at the same speed of the treadmill, It stays in the same place, with no air resistance under the wings.

All you guys are saying is that the plane can move faster than the treadmill, yes that can happen. But that is not the question.

I understand the physics of a plane taking off.
You arent understanding the question.

If you arent explaining with the actual question in mind, then there is no reason to try and explain it.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 11/11/07 06:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chumpmann:

[/QUOTE}
For some reason I missed your explanation, would you be so kind to please post it again?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 07:23 AM

Quote:
that isnt the question.
It is that the plane is moving at the same speed as the treadmill and vice versa, not faster than the treadmill.
If the plane moves forward on the treadmill, that means it is going faster than the treadmill.

If you suddenly start the treadmill, the plane will eventually start to move backwards, until the engines push it to the same speed as the treadmill.

It doesnt matter if there are wheels or not, if it is sliding on its belly, and the engines are pushing the plane at the same speed of the treadmill, It stays in the same place, with no air resistance under the wings.

All you guys are saying is that the plane can move faster than the treadmill, yes that can happen. But that is not the question.

If you arent explaining with the actual question in mind, then there is no reason to try and explain it.
Close, but wrong.

as the treadmill increases speed, the plane does NOT increase power to the thrusters. In order to stand still, the plane need only provide enough thrust to overcome the friction of the wheels on the tread belt. The thrust at low treadmill speed is the same at a high treadmill speed. The plane is not making the wheels spin, the treadmill is.

This would be analgous to tethering the plane to a fixed object. The treadmill can go as fast as it wants, as long as the plane remains stationary. The wheels will spin faster and faster, but fast spinning wheels does not make a plane take flight.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 07:32 AM

New analogy :rolleyes:

lets make this our plane:

and this is our "treadmill"

its well known that even against the current, this plane does take off.

This is where the "it takes flight" crowd ignores the fundamental purpose of a treadmill. They are using runway sized treadmills which is totally cheating. Treadmills are designed to keep the object on it, stationary.

A conveyor belt ..yeah I'll agree. But this is not the conveyor belt thread. This is the treadmill thread. And planes cannot fly on a treadmill. On a treadmill, the plane says at fixed latitude and longitude ... and subsequently .. a fixed altitude becuase it won't frickin take off [Finger]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 07:59 AM

Since most treadmills have wheels on the underside, the airplane will push the treadmills, since the wheels will hook the handles, along the runway until it takes off.

The plane remains in one place according to the treadmill, but in space the plane is moving creating lift to take off

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 08:01 AM

Taking off upstream is a lot different. The water places a far larger drag on the landing gear. With engines that are powerfull enough, the plane will take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 08:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]that isnt.....
Close, but wrong.

as the treadmill increases speed, the plane does NOT increase power to the thrusters. In order to stand still, the plane need only provide enough thrust to overcome the friction of the wheels on the tread belt. The thrust at low treadmill speed is the same at a high treadmill speed. The plane is not making the wheels spin, the treadmill is.

This would be analgous to tethering the plane to a fixed object. The treadmill can go as fast as it wants, as long as the plane remains stationary. The wheels will spin faster and faster, but fast spinning wheels does not make a plane take flight.[/b]
Incorrect.

As has been suggested above, it would be a good idea to take High School Physics I prior to commenting.

You will not that the equation for frictional force is F(f) = Mu x Weight . By using standard physics equations, (as has been well explained above), the plane takes off.

Please do everybody a favor and take the time to read and explanation before making the foolish assumption that free-spinning wheels will affect the plane's absolute velocity. Wheel friction is insignificant compared to 50 tons of thrust. The plane takes off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]that isnt.....
Close, but wrong.

This would be analgous to tethering the plane to a fixed object. The treadmill can go as fast as it wants, as long as the plane remains stationary. The wheels will spin faster and faster, but fast spinning wheels does not make a plane take flight.[/b]
Incorrect.

As has been suggested above, it would be a good idea to take High School Physics I prior to commenting.

You will not that the equation for frictional force is F(f) = Mu x Weight . By using standard physics equations, (as has been well explained above), the plane takes off.

Please do everybody a favor and take the time to read and explanation before making the foolish assumption that free-spinning wheels will affect the plane's absolute velocity. Wheel friction is insignificant compared to 50 tons of thrust. The plane takes off.[/b]
and you should take reading comprehension. I didn't say shit about the plane taking off. In fact, I supported your arguement you dumbass.

Quote:
Please do everybody a favor and take the time to read and explanation before making the foolish assumption that free-spinning wheels will affect the plane's absolute velocity.
Actually I said that it does NOT affect the way the plane takes off.

Quote:
fast spinning wheels does not make a plane take flight.
I was stating that more thrust is not needed to make the wheels go faster .. ie .. I'll save you the comprehension part and spell it out for you: thrust of the plane is independant of the spinning of the wheels.

as the plane applies more thrust, its going to move forward no matter how fast the tread belt is going.

MY arguement is that using a runway sized treadmill totally defeats the purpose of using a treadmill. People like you are redefining what a treadmill is so you can spout physics lessons and try to make people feel stupid.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Taking off upstream is a lot different. The water places a far larger drag on the landing gear. With engines that are powerfull enough, the plane will take off.
[LOL] landing gear ...

fuck it. the treadmill sinks.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 11:57 AM

I still bet it doesnt take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 12:10 PM

Quote:
I still bet it takes off.
How come you changed your arguement/side?

[Finger]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 12:33 PM

Quote:

MY arguement is that using a runway sized treadmill totally defeats the purpose of using a treadmill. People like you are redefining what a treadmill is so you can spout physics lessons and try to make people feel stupid.
The length of the treadmill has absolutely ZERO bearing on the question.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 01:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
The length of the treadmill has absolutely ZERO bearing on the question.[/b]
[Spit]

in case you're serious .. why not?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 01:44 PM

Quote:
that isnt the question.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! Finally somebody who realizes if the plane is moving forward at all then the plane is going faster than the speed of the treadmill.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 01:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
that isnt the question.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! Finally somebody who realizes if the plane is moving forward at all then the plane is going faster than the speed of the treadmill.
Good God...you make my brain hurt.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 02:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
The length of the treadmill has absolutely ZERO bearing on the question.[/b]
[Spit]

in case you're serious .. why not?[/b]
Because the plane moves regardless of what the treadmill is doing.

Why would the length matter?

Why would a ten foot treadmill be any different than a 20 foot treadmill?

The wheels are NOT a part of the drive system of a plane.

Put dyno's on the front AND rear wheels of the plane. SAME thing. The plane will move OFF the dyno.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 02:31 PM

OK. I'm confused.. (not really)

Once again, since the obvious things didn't work...

If a plane is flying at 80 mph (close to stall speed of a Cessna), directly over a treadmill (as long as a runway, so there's enough space to do the test) that is currently running at 80 mph, the two objects are moving at the same speed, are they not?

Ok. So that's confirmed; the plane is flying over the treadmill at 80mph, as the treadmill is moving at 80mph.

Next step. The plane lowers his altitude *just* enough so that his tires are in now contact with the treadmill. The plane continues at 80mph forward. The treadmill continues at 80mph in reverse direction as the plane. BUT, you'll notice, the tires of the plane are now revolving at 160 mph equivalent.

So, multiple choice question:

The plane at this time is now moving at:

(A) 0 mph
(B) 80 mph
(C) 160 mph

If you guessed (A) or (C) you would be incorrect.

The correct answer is (B). Therefore the plane has forward movement at the same speed as the treadmill, in the opposite direction. The tires have an angular velocity of the plane's speed and the treadmill's speed, equivalent. But the plane only has 1 speed: 80 mph.

Angular velocity and velocity are NOT the same thing. They are a product of each other in the case of a wheel, but they are not a 1:1 relationship. They do not add or subtract directly to cancel each other out. Ever. Angular Velocity is the forward velocity divided by the circumference of the tire.

In this particular example, at 80 MPH, when you do the math, you'll find the tires will be spinning (angular velocity) (18.368) / (radius of tire) in radians per second. So if it's a 2' tall tire, the observed motion of the tire is that it's spinning at 36.7 radians per second. You don't observe the MPH equivalent the tires are spinning; it's a DEPENDENT property. The INDEPENDENT property is the net velocity (the sum of the airplane and the treadmill velocity).

In other words, the tires spin as a result of the horizontal motion of the airplane and the treadmill. It is a DEPENDENT motion. It is not physically measurable in "MPH", but is physically measured in RAD/S or DEGREE/S, and then converted using the radius of the tire to a MPH. You have to sort that out in your head, and be able to realize that angular velocity does not EVER get added or subtracted to motion velocity at any time; you can't act like they're the same thing, and add an independent to a dependent; math doesn't work that way, as it's a physical impossibility.

Whoops. Almost forgot. To finish it off, the very next second after proving the airplane will still continue forward at 80 mph, even if his tires are on a moving surface that's moving at negative 80 mph to him, the pilot pulls back on the stick, and viola: THE PLANE TAKES OFF...

If you REALLY want to think about it another way...Take this same example, only the treadmill is moving FORWARD at 80 mph. As the plane touches down onto the treadmill, the plane is moving forward 80 mph, the treadmill is moving forward at 80 mph, and the tires are rotating at a whopping 0 rev/s... The tires stand still, yet the plane is moving at 80 mph forward... And it still takes off. Example/Proof, yet again, that the angular velocity the tires move does NOT control the forward motion of a plane...

And one more, 'cause I just can't resist...Treadmill moving forward at 40 mph, plane moving forward at 80 mph. Plane touches down, and the wheels are only revolving at 40 mph equivalent, yet the plane is still moving at 80 mph... Oops. Lookie lookie...angular velocity of the tires still doesn't control the plane's movement...

But just in case I haven't annoyed you enough, yet..

Let's look at the case when the treadmill goes forward, and let's assume the argument of the "can't fly" bunch... If the plane moves at the same speed as the conveyor in the "backwards running conveyor", y'all have assumed the plane can't take off, 'cause the tires are moving at the same speed as the conveyor.

So, if the conveyor is moving forward at 80 mph, and the tires are moving forward at the same speed (80 mph equivalent), how fast is the airplane going?? If you said 80 mph, you'd be incorrect... the plane would be moving twice as fast as the conveyor, it'd be 160 mph!!

[insert "can't fly" protest]Argh!!! It CAN'T be moving at 160 mph, 'cause the tires are moving at the same speed as the conveyor!! But..........but I don't understand....[/insert "can't fly" protest]

Yep, that's right... the angular velocity of the tires isn't the same thing as the speed of the airplane... And since that's true for the conveyor moving forward, then it's true for the conveyor moving backward as well.

Guess what? The plane takes off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 02:43 PM

Quote:
The treadmill continues at 80mph in reverse direction as the plane. BUT, you'll notice, the tires of the plane are now revolving at 160 mph.

(A) 0 mph
(B) 80 mph
(C) 160 mph
If the tires are going 160mph how fast is the treadmill going?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 02:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The treadmill continues at 80mph in reverse direction as the plane. BUT, you'll notice, the tires of the plane are now revolving at 160 mph.

(A) 0 mph
(B) 80 mph
(C) 160 mph
80 mph. You don't do so well with the reading comprehension, eh? That was given in the example problem statement...

It says pretty clearly:

Quote:
The treadmill continues at 80mph in reverse direction as the plane.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 03:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I still bet it takes off.
How come you changed your arguement/side?

[Finger] [/b]
Typo.
Fixed.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 03:29 PM

Now let's assume, it's not a plane but an ostrich running on the treadmill.
The take-off speed of the ostrich is 120mph, and the treadmill is moving backwards at 80mph.
How fast does the ostrich have to run in order to take off?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 04:05 PM

Quote:
OK. I'm confused.. (not really)

Once again, since the obvious things didn't work...

If a plane is flying at 80 mph (close to stall speed of a Cessna), directly over a treadmill (as long as a runway, so there's enough space to do the test) that is currently running at 80 mph, the two objects are moving at the same speed, are they not?

Ok. So that's confirmed; the plane is flying over the treadmill at 80mph, as the treadmill is moving at 80mph.

Next step. The plane lowers his altitude *just* enough so that his tires are in now contact with the treadmill. The plane continues at 80mph forward. The treadmill continues at 80mph in reverse direction as the plane. BUT, you'll notice, the tires of the plane are now revolving at 160 mph equivalent.

(A) 0 mph
(B) 80 mph
(C) 160 mph

If you guessed (A) or (C) you would be incorrect.

The correct answer is (B). Therefore the plane has forward movement at the same speed as the treadmill, in the opposite direction. The tires have an angular velocity of the plane's speed and the treadmill's speed, equivalent. But the plane only has 1 speed: 80 mph.

Angular velocity and velocity are NOT the same thing. They are a product of each other in the case of a wheel, but they are not a 1:1 relationship. They do not add or subtract directly to cancel each other out. Ever. Angular Velocity is the forward velocity divided by the circumference of the tire.

In this particular example, at 80 MPH, when you do the math, you'll find the tires will be spinning (angular velocity) (18.368) / (radius of tire) in radians per second. So if it's a 2' tall tire, the observed motion of the tire is that it's spinning at 36.7 radians per second. You don't observe the MPH equivalent the tires are spinning; it's a DEPENDENT property. The INDEPENDENT property is the net velocity (the sum of the airplane and the treadmill velocity).

In other words, the tires spin as a result of the horizontal motion of the airplane and the treadmill. It is a DEPENDENT motion. It is not physically measurable in "MPH", but is physically measured in RAD/S or DEGREE/S, and then converted using the radius of the tire to a MPH. You have to sort that out in your head, and be able to realize that angular velocity does not EVER get added or subtracted to motion velocity at any time; you can't act like they're the same thing, and add an independent to a dependent; math doesn't work that way, as it's a physical impossibility.

Whoops. Almost forgot. To finish it off, the very next second after proving the airplane will still continue forward at 80 mph, even if his tires are on a moving surface that's moving at negative 80 mph to him, the pilot pulls back on the stick, and viola: THE PLANE TAKES OFF...

If you REALLY want to think about it another way...Take this same example, only the treadmill is moving FORWARD at 80 mph. As the plane touches down onto the treadmill, the plane is moving forward 80 mph, the treadmill is moving forward at 80 mph, and the tires are rotating at a whopping 0 rev/s... The tires stand still, yet the plane is moving at 80 mph forward... And it still takes off. Example/Proof, yet again, that the angular velocity the tires move does NOT control the forward motion of a plane...

And one more, 'cause I just can't resist...Treadmill moving forward at 40 mph, plane moving forward at 80 mph. Plane touches down, and the wheels are only revolving at 40 mph equivalent, yet the plane is still moving at 80 mph... Oops. Lookie lookie...angular velocity of the tires still doesn't control the plane's movement...

But just in case I haven't annoyed you enough, yet..

Let's look at the case when the treadmill goes forward, and let's assume the argument of the "can't fly" bunch... If the plane moves at the same speed as the conveyor in the "backwards running conveyor", y'all have assumed the plane can't take off, 'cause the tires are moving at the same speed as the conveyor.

So, if the conveyor is moving forward at 80 mph, and the tires are moving forward at the same speed (80 mph equivalent), how fast is the airplane going?? If you said 80 mph, you'd be incorrect... the plane would be moving twice as fast as the conveyor, it'd be 160 mph!!

[insert "can't fly" protest]Argh!!! It CAN'T be moving at 160 mph, 'cause the tires are moving at the same speed as the conveyor!! But..........but I don't understand....[/insert "can't fly" protest]

Yep, that's right... the angular velocity of the tires isn't the same thing as the speed of the airplane... And since that's true for the conveyor moving forward, then it's true for the conveyor moving backward as well.

Guess what? [b]The plane takes off.
[/b]
The question isnt about wether the plane can touch and go.

It is asking if it can take off.

Quote:
Ok, Lets forget all the analogies. Dynos arent a good example, they only move the wheels. A treadmill will move the whole object.

A plane sits on a treadmill, on a calm day, no wind, it is 72 degrees. There is a tree in the ground next to the plane even with the tail.
Now, the treadmill starts to move, the plane starts to move backward on the treadmill. The pilot looks out his window and sees the tree moving from behind him towards him, as the plane is moving backwards on the treadmill. Now the engines start to push the plane to the speed of the treadmill, the tree is now even with the pilot as the engines push the plane, to be even with the tree, on the treadmill. Now as the engines push more the treadmill goes faster, the pilot can look out his window and see the same tree, not moving.
The engines push faster, the treadmill moves faster, the tree is still even with the pilot as he looks out his window. The air around the wings of the plane is as still as the trees next to the plane, the pilot can move his flaps all he wants, he does not have the air resistance to take off.
Quote:
that isnt the question.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 04:45 PM

If the plane can move at all, then it can take off. I don't have to run a calculation on how long the runway has to be in order for it to accelerate to lift-off speed. I only have to prove it can move at all. The distance it takes is of no consequence.

If it can move at all, then it can get enough speed to take off.

And if it can move under a "touch and go" scenario, then it can move from standstill, as well. The physics that allow it to move at all are the EXACT same, regardless to the initial velocity being 0 mph, 50 mph, or 2,000 mph.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 04:47 PM

Quote:
Now let's assume, it's not a plane but an ostrich running on the treadmill.
The take-off speed of the ostrich is 120mph, and the treadmill is moving backwards at 80mph.
He has to run 200 MPH EQUIVALENT, or 120 mph ACTUAL. If he had an internal speedo, it'd say 200 mph, and to the ostrich, it doesn't really matter, 'cause he can't fly in the first fucking place. He's an ostrich.

[Finger]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 04:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
that isnt the question.
It is that the plane is moving at the same speed as the treadmill and vice versa, not faster than the treadmill.......
Stop smoking crack.

This has already been explained.

If the plane isn't moving, than the treadmill doesn't turn. The plane does move and it takes off. It has been exaustively explained that the treadmill only adds some extra wheelspin. Please read the abundance of information posted on this subject and retort.

Anybody who can't understand a simple High School Physics problem doesn't need anybody to make them look stupid. They're doing a pretty good job on their own.......... [Huh?]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 04:53 PM

What's really sad (for the "can't fly" crowd), though, is that even a car, who IS powered through the tires, will move forward on the conveyor belt... His speedometer won't accurately show how fast he's moving, though, 'cause his tires will have to spin twice as fast to obtain the same true speed.

Case in point: your speedo is just a calculation of how fast your tires are rotating. It isn't necessarily reflect how fast you are actually moving. Do a burnout, and your speedo says you're going 30+ mph. The reality of it is, you aren't moving at all.

Moving is actual moving. Not angular velocity of tires. So if the plane is MOVING, then it is ACTUALLY MOVING... Guess the "can't fly" crowd doesn't understand what "Moving" means...

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Now let's assume, it's not a plane but an ostrich running on the treadmill.
He has to run 200 MPH EQUIVALENT, or 120 mph ACTUAL. If he had an internal speedo, it'd say 200 mph, and to the ostrich, it doesn't really matter, 'cause he can't fly in the first fucking place. He's an ostrich.

[Finger] [/b]
I believe an ostrich actually CAN take off at 120mph. [Wave]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

(A) 0 mph
(B) 80 mph
(C) 160 mph
Here's where you aren't getting it.

The treadmill is moving at 160mph relative to the plane's speed. The treadmill is moving at 80mph relative to you standing on the ground next to it.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 06:18 PM

Quote:
I believe an ostrich actually CAN take off at 120mph. [Wave]
I'd like to see Mythbusters take that one on! [ThumbsUp]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 06:20 PM

I simply CANNOT believe that yet another thread on this issue has surfaced! I bet that even after Mythbusters CONFIRMS that the plane will fly, the "can't fly" crowd will find some problem with their methods in order to hold fast to their belief that the plane won't fly.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
I simply [b]CANNOT believe that yet another thread on this issue has surfaced! I bet that even after Mythbusters CONFIRMS that the plane will fly, the "can't fly" crowd will find some problem with their methods in order to hold fast to their belief that the plane won't fly.[/b]
The funny part is, even if the Mythbusters set the treadmill faster than the planes takeoff ground speed, the can't fly crowd would freak and say that it wasn't a valid test because the treadmill was moving too fast [Freak]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 06:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I simply [b]CANNOT believe that yet another thread on this issue has surfaced! I bet that even after Mythbusters CONFIRMS that the plane will fly, the "can't fly" crowd will find some problem with their methods in order to hold fast to their belief that the plane won't fly.[/b]
The funny part is, even if the Mythbusters set the treadmill faster than the planes takeoff ground speed, the can't fly crowd would freak and say that it wasn't a valid test because the treadmill was moving too fast [Freak] [/b]
...and created a vacuum behind the plane which propelled it down the runway - which otherwise would not occur if the treadmill would precisely match the speed of the craft.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 06:47 PM

Quote:

I simply [b]CANNOT believe that yet another thread on this issue has surfaced! I bet that even after Mythbusters CONFIRMS that the plane will fly, the "can't fly" crowd will find some problem with their methods in order to hold fast to their belief that the plane won't fly.[/b]
I'm always kind of shocked that many people have so much faith in this show "Mythbusters".

It is entertainment. It is NOT science.

They have been wrong and will continue to be wrong on things.

And... I'm not talking about the plane/treadmill thing. I am just talking about the show "Mythbusters" in general.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Now let's assume, it's not a plane but an ostrich running on the treadmill.

[Finger] [/b]
I believe an ostrich actually CAN take off at 120mph. [Wave] [/b]
I don't know for certain, but it'd be a helluva' show!

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 07:19 PM

I get trolled for saying that the plane will take off.

Kick-ass! laugh laugh [drink]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 07:37 PM

Who said I can't fly?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 09:27 PM

Quote:

Anybody who can't understand a simple High School Physics problem doesn't need anybody to make them look stupid. They're doing a pretty good job on their own.......... [Huh?]
You are oversimplifying things. The classic Newtonian mechanics stops working as soon as the treadmill is powered.
The plane will stay stationary until the wheels reach relativistic angular velocity, then it will disappear and pop up at a random point of the Universe.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 12/11/07 09:58 PM

Quote:
The plane will stay stationary until the wheels reach relativistic angular velocity, then it will disappear and pop up at a random point of the Universe.
Finally, an answer that makes sense.
Posted by: TravelingFool

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 04:33 AM

The wheels don't provide ANY forward momentum to the plane. If the jet engines are going, the plane will move forward and take off no matter what's under the wheels. Think about a seaplane taking off against the current of a river, its no problem at all. Ever wonder why the jet dragsters don't do burnouts at the drag strip? Hello?

The "It won't fly" crowd is probably the same crowd who bought all of Suzanne Sommers' thigh masters... Mom used to say, "the world needs dumb people to make the rest of us look smart."

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 07:16 AM

My official response is that there is not enough information in the question

Quote:

Since the plane is standing on the runway the net movement would be 0 therefore the plane would not take off.

If the question assumes that the plane makes an effort to move forward and the treadmill matches spead of the fusalage..sp? then the plane would take off. The best explanation for this would be that there is a rope attached to the back of the plane that runs to a pulley that attaches to the front of the treadmill as plane moves forward the treadmill would turn back at exact speed that the plane moves forward.

If the treadmill is matching the speed of the plane based on the speed of the tires then the plane would remain static and would not take off .

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 07:48 AM

How can the plane have any speed to match if it's stationary?

Your rope-driven-conveyor is bogus, as that totally changes the scenario and adds a whole lot more friction to overcome. Besides, a traditional drivetrain in a piston-prop might work to drive a conveyor, but how would you accomplish that with a turboprop or jet? A big honkin windmill? still wouldn't keep the plane on the ground.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 07:54 AM

I was using the rope driven conveyor as an example much like the touch and go and all the toehr stuff people have been using as examples.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 07:56 AM

Quote:
My official response is that there is not enough information in the question

Very true - it does not say whether the conveyor belt (or treadmill or whatever) matches the planes speed relative to the ground or to itself.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 08:00 AM

Neither matters.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 08:05 AM

Here you go.....

583 pages and over 2 years arguing about the plane on a conveyor belt...

http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=2417&st=0

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 09:05 AM

Quote:
Neither matters.
Actually, it does.

If the plane's speed is relative to the belt, the ONLY speed that can be matched by the belt is zero. Otherwise, it's caught in a infinite speed curve up (meaning the belt can't match it). Example - if the plane is moving 2mph relative to the belt, the belt has to go 2mph in the opposite direction - but then the plane is actually moving at 4mph relative to the belt - then the belt has to go 4mph...but then the plane is going 8mph relative to the belt...and so on and so on.

If the plane's speed is relative to the ground, then it takes off no problem, and the belt can match it's speed. In which case, the belt has absolutely no bearing on the plane's movement.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 09:46 AM

If speed is relative to the belt, then the plane moves forward on the belt at a rate of 10 knots over the belt, the belt spins backwards at 10 knots, and the plane moves forward just the same. That in turn increases the relative speed of the aircraft. Situation: entirely impossible. Even if it were, the plane would still take off.

You're right when you say the only speed the belt could match was zero.

Still doesn't matter, the plane takes off.

::ETA:: even with constant exponential acceleration of the belt, the plane can overcome the minimal friction of the conveyor under its free-spinning wheels.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 09:47 AM

Exactly.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 09:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Neither matters.
Actually, it does.
[/b]
Why is it so hard to comprehend that the only speed that matters is the speed of the plane relative to air? Not to the observer, not to the treadmill, not to the ground, not to your uncle, nothing else, but the AIR.
[Argue]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 10:43 AM

if the speed of the treadmill is the same as the speed that the tires are spinning then the plane will not move if the plane is moving forward then the tires are spinning faster than the treadmill is going

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 11:00 AM

I have an impression that some people on this forum have never seen a plane.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 11:01 AM

[Sleep]

We should close this thread. We've been chewing this for too long and there's no way to persuade people to change their beliefs.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 11:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Neither matters.
Actually, it does.
[/b]
Why is it so hard to comprehend that the only speed that matters is the speed of the plane relative to air? Not to the observer, not to the treadmill, not to the ground, not to your uncle, nothing else, but the AIR.
[Argue] [/b]
Huh?

I'm not arguing that it won't take off. It will. I'm just pointing out that the original problem is worded badly - it never says what the plane is moving in relation to (the ground or the belt).

The "not-take-off" could happen - but ONLY if the speed is relative to the belt - AND it must be zero to do that.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 11:12 AM

Quote:
if the speed of the treadmill is the same as the speed that the tires are spinning then the plane will not move if the plane is moving forward then the tires are spinning faster than the treadmill is going
An aircraft's speed is not measured by the rotation of its tires. Ever hear of a pitot tube?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 11:23 AM

Quote:

The "not-take-off" could happen - but ONLY if the speed is relative to the belt - AND it must be zero to do that.
Agreed. Let's nail the plane to the belt and see how that mofo flies. [Smoking]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 11:25 AM

Quote:
An aircraft's speed is not measured by the rotation of its tires. ...
For this one it is:

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/11/07 07:09 PM

Quote:
My official response is that there is not enough information in the question....
All of the necessary information is there. The correct answer has been explained and posted.

Three groups of people will identify themselves:

o Those intelligent enough to understand the correct answer
o Those not intelligent enough to understand the correct answer
o Those who have realized the error of their ways who are too indignant to publicly change their mind

In the event books (how retro!) are too "heavy" for you, one can only ask.....

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 03:28 PM

Quote:

Just one last thing to add...
Posted by: TJ

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 05:57 PM

Holy shit

Why is it that some people think the plane would move if the engine thrust pushes it forward on a runway...a "normal scenario...."

But suddenly think it moves like a car, with its tire speed somehow relevant...?

The tires do not push the plane!

The engine THRUST moves the Plane!

If the conveyor MATCHES the speed of the plane...

How would the plane produce a speed to match?

laugh

It has to be pushed forward by its THRUST!

Thrust DOESN'T turn the tires....it moves the plane through the air...and the tires can ONLY turn, IF THE PLANE MOVES....

IF the plane DOES move when the engine thrust pushes it forward......its moving relative to the AIR...

BECAUSE, the thrust DOESN'T rotate the tires, the plane's MOVEMENT does...

As the Movement is ONLY ABLE TO HAPPEN IF THE PLANE IS PUSHED FORWARD,

AND,

It can ONLY be pushed forward relative to the AIR,

What's rolling under the plane ONLY spins its TIRES, and DOESN'T change the plane's movement through the air.

laugh

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 06:46 PM

If the plane sits on the conveyer belt, and the conveyer belt is moving, the plane is moving backwards.
When the engines start to push the plane, it now will stay in one spot, with no possible way to lift itself off the ground.

When the engines push the plane faster(which would be faster than the conveyer belt) it will take off.
It will not take off moving at the same speed as the conveyer belt.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 07:11 PM

Quote:
If the plane sits on the conveyer belt, and the conveyer belt is moving, the plane is moving backwards.
When the engines start to push the plane, it now will stay in one spot, with no possible way to lift itself off the ground.

When the engines push the plane faster(which would be faster than the conveyer belt) it will take off.
It will not take off moving at the same speed as the conveyer belt.

(I'm just gonna' keep on posting it, everytime you say something "smart".)

But just in case you might actually be listening...

A few difinitions for you:

Vp = velocity of plane
Vt = velocity of treadmill

If plane sits on treadmill, and engines turned off, but treadmill starts moving backwards (negative direction):

Vp = Vt, where Vt is some - number

In other words, the plane is moving backwards, at the same velocity as the conveyor.

When plane fires up his engines to prevent backwards movement,

Vp = 0.
Vt = some -#.

Plane isn't moving, now. But it's tires are rotating at an angular velocity necessary to prevent the plane from MOVING backwards with the treadmill. This is not the same as FORWARD movement of the plane. [this is the part you're not grasping]

So when plane starts upping the throttle to actually match the treadmill's velocity, but in the opposite direction,

Vp = some +#
Vt = some -#

And if Vp = some + number, then integral of that velocity (acceleration) will be some + number, too, proving the plane can accelerate, and it will take off.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 07:23 PM

I dont care what you think about my solution to the question asked.

I am just stating the obvious instead of over analyzing it.

By the way,I am so glad you want to fuck my theory, but you might have to get in line....

This is why these threads are fun, everyone who "just has to be right all the time", or "has to have the last word" or "just cant take the pressure of being wrong", have to resort to name calling and stupid quotes with gay pictures.....

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 07:33 PM

Quote:
I dont care what you think about my solution to the question asked.

I am just stating the obvious instead of over analyzing it.

By the way,I am so glad you want to fuck my theory, but you might have to get in line....

This is why these threads are fun, everyone who "just has to be right all the time", or "has to have the last word" or "just cant take the pressure of being wrong", have to resort to name calling and stupid quotes with gay pictures.....
It has nothing to do with people needing to be right, you just happen to be wrong this time laugh and refuse to look at the question with an open mind and realize you could be wrong in order to find the right answer.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 07:34 PM

Quote:
All you're doing here is basically introducing a bit of a tail wind, which the plane's engines will easily overcome.

This will basically "push" on the plane, so when the engines kick in, they'll be that much more effective.
Posted by: Rockaholic

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 07:36 PM

Quote:
This is long, but read it and you'll come to understand why the plane does take off.

we agree that a car (substituted for the airplane for the airplane in the original scenario) on the treadmill will remain staionary to a fixed point on solid ground.

You claim and believe that the plane remains stationary to a fixed point on solid ground when the plane is on the conveyor, much like the car on a treadmill does. However, that assertion is wrong.

The scenario does not say that the plane remains in one spot relative to the ground, only that the conveyor and the airplane have the same speeds in the opposite directions.

The scenario does not say that the plane causes the conveyor to move, but that the conveyor is moved by some other control to match speed of the plane.

So if the plane is taken off of the conveyor and placed onto hard ground and then beings moving towards the conveyor at 10mph, then the conveyor is still going to move at 10mph in the opposite direction of the planes motion...

Now replace the Airplane with a car (make it a Front wheel driven car) and with the same setup as above, but this time the car drives onto the conveyor.
Once the front wheels of this car touch the conveyor the car stops it's forward motion with respect to the ground - with the front wheels on the conveyor spinning at 10 mph on the conveyor and the rear wheels (which were only spinning because the front wheels were moving along the ground and the rear wheels have to follow) are on the ground stationary. We know this is true because the the length of the car and the distance between the wheels remains a constant.

Now replace the Airplane with another car (make it a 2wd Xterra) and with the same setup as above, what happens when the Xterra drives onto the conveyor? When the front wheels contact the conveyor they (being free spinng) double their speed as they continue to move up the conveyor until the rear wheels get onto the conveyor. At that point, all 4 sets of wheels are spinning at 10 mph and the Xterra stays in one spot with respect to the ground. We know this is true because the the length of the Xterra and the distance between the wheels remains a constant.

Now, an Airplane has front wheels and rear wheels, so what happens when the airplane moves onto the conveyor? The front wheels of the plane, which are free spinning, begin to rotate at twice the speed of the rear wheels, which are alos free spinning and on solid ground, and the plane continues to move with respect to the ground...
Does the plane stop when all of the wheel are on the conveyor? No, all of the wheels are free spinning so all of the wheels double their speed, and the plane continues to move with respect to the ground. We know this to be true because the lentgh of the airplane and the distance between the wheels also remains constant, and if the plane remained stationary on the tread mill we would have a problem. We have a problem because the front and rear wheels are all free spinning, they do not provide the forward motion of the plane - they just spin. If your argument is correct that the plane remains staionary with respect to a point on solid ground while on the tread mill and if the front wheels are on the treadmill and the rear wheels are on solid ground, then the front wheels of the plane on the treadmill have a counter motion and so the result can't be greater than zero, so there is no forward motion; yet the rear wheels (on the solid ground) have no counter motion, so those wheels are moving forward...But how can the rear wheels be moving forward if the front wheels are not moving forward when the distance between the wheels remains constant? That is physically impossible!

In fact the front wheels of the plane do not remain stationary in relation to the ground, they move in relation to the ground. That is because the rear wheels are moving in relation to the ground (otherwise planes wouldn't be able to take off of a normal runway) and because the distance between the wheels remains constant the front wheels would have to move forward in relation to the ground on the conveyor to maintain the constant distance. Now (this is important) unlike a car, the front and rear wheels of a plane are all the same in that they are free spinning and do not create the forward motion of the plane, they mearly react to the forward motion of the plane. Since the free spinning front wheels move in relation to the ground on the conveyor this means the rear wheels (being constructed identically) will also move forward in relation to the ground on the conveyor. That means, unlike the wheel driven cars, the conveyor does not cancel out the forward motion of the plane! That means with all the wheels on the conveyor the plane will move forward in relation to the ground, even if the plane starts with all of the wheels on the conveyor.

Since the plane is moving in relation to the ground on the conveyor, then the plane has a groundspeed and a windspeed, and does in fact take off.

The only difference between the plane on a tread mill and the plane on solid ground is that the wheels on the treadmill plane are spinning at twice the rotational speed of the wheels on the solid ground plane.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 07:48 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to do with people needing to be right, you just happen to be wrong this time laugh and refuse to look at the question with an open mind and realize you could be wrong in order to find the right answer.
See what I mean....

why does everyone keep saying that the wheels dont push the plane?
No one has once said that they do.

If the question was asked "can an airplane start on solid ground and move forward onto a treadmill and continue forward?" then you would be explaining it right.

Again, that is not the question.
Posted by: Rockaholic

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 08:00 PM

Yes, that is not the question - but it applies because the way the wheels react to the treadmill must remain constant as well.

If you believe the plane remains staionary on the treadmill, then the planes front wheels must also remain staionary on the readmill while the rear wheels (not on the treadmill) do not - as in the front wheel driven car; or that the plane stops moving once the rear wheels are on the treadmill - as in the rear wheel driven car.

In either case, you must now claim that the either the front or rear wheels are no longer free spinning, which they are.

So I ask you this question - what keeps the airplane stationary on the treadmill?

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 08:08 PM

Guys, it really doesn't matter if it's a plane, bicycle, car, truck, whatever.

The vehicle MUST be moving in order for the treadmill to be moving.

Spinning your tires in one place is NOT moving.

So regardless as to what the speedo says your "speed" is, your actual speed may be different when you're on the treadmill.

Frankly, I do burn outs in my new car all the time. Speedo goes up to about 30 mph. Am I really moving at 30 mph? Hell no. I'm standing on the dyam brake pedal at the moment... The tires are spinning at 30 mph EQUIVALENT, but I'm not actually moving.

Once again, the calculated rotational speed of the tires has nothing to do with the actual motion of the vehicle. If the vehicle is not MOVING forward, the treadmill is not moving. If the vehicle is MOVING forward, the treadmill is moving backwards at the same rate. "Moving" is not spinning your tires in one place. Ever. That's NOT velocity!!

It has nothing to do with "getting the last word in" or anything of that sort. This is a very, very simple physics "problem" that is answered very simply. Assuming you understand WTF "moving" means verses standing still spinning your tires.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 08:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]It has nothing to do with people needing to be right, you just happen to be wrong this time laugh and refuse to look at the question with an open mind and realize you could be wrong in order to find the right answer.
See what I mean....

If the question was asked "can an airplane start on solid ground and move forward onto a treadmill and continue forward?" then you would be explaining it right.

Again, that is not the question.[/b]
Here's another question, I am trying to formulate it as correctly as possible: "Can people be that retarded or are you just fucking with us?" [Wave]

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 08:19 PM

It's pretty obvious he's just fucking with us. He's probably a member of the Flat Earth Society.
Just trying to produce a counter argument for every bit of evidence presented, ya know.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 08:33 PM

Quote:
It's pretty obvious he's just fucking with us. He's probably a member of the Flat Earth Society.
Just trying to produce a counter argument for every bit of evidence presented, ya know.
What is really scary, is that most of the Flat Earth Society members are for real.
It's time for another Heaven's Gate event.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 08:53 PM

Ha - I always thought it was just a debating society to show that any evidence can be debunked with enough mental exercise. Those guys are serious??

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 14/11/07 09:35 PM

Quote:
Ha - I always thought it was just a debating society to show that any evidence can be debunked with enough mental exercise. Those guys are serious??
Yup...
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11211.0

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 15/11/07 10:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]It has nothing to do with people needing to be right, you just happen to be wrong this time laugh and refuse to look at the question with an open mind and realize you could be wrong in order to find the right answer.
See what I mean....

Again, that is not the question.[/b]
You can't wrap your head around the actual physics involved and that's ok.

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 15/11/07 11:00 AM

Re: Airplane on a treadmill question - 13/12/07 06:21 AM

fuck that plane on a treadmill bullshit

Shrimp on a treadmill
[LOL] [LOL]