11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion

Posted by: Anonymous

11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 12/11/07 06:10 PM

The usual cross-post from SCCX laugh

From Frank:

For various reasons we are moving the November Xcursion to the Saturday & Sunday after Thanksgiving, November 24-25. It will probably a lot safer thing to do (and more fun) than going to the malls. This also also allows those folks who are headed to Joshua Tree this coming weekend to get in an Anza trip this month as well.

We'll explore the southern part of Anza Borrego off Highway S-2. Exact itinerary will be determined as we get closer, and, depending on what the group feels like, some options for this area are:

- Starting from S-2 head up Rodriguez Canyon to where it intersects Chariot Canyon, then back down to Oriflamme Canyon in a big loop. Wells rates Chariot and Oriflamme as easy to moderate, Rodriguez is rated moderate to difficult (a few rocky uphill patches, it was not that bad when we did it a last year). See Wells Guide to So Cal Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails, route 52. This is a combination of sandy trails and a descending narrow shelf road with great views, at a higher elevation than the desert below.

- Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley, including the Pictograph Hiking Trail, morteros, and Ghost Mountain. See Wells route 53. Blair Valley sits at around 3,000' elevation, and is quite scenic. The one-mile long (each way) Pictograph Hiking Trail climbs about 400' as it winds its way up to a large boulder with Indian pictographs and great views of the valley below.

- Starting further south on S-2 we can explore Canyon Sin Nombre and Vallecitos Wash, as well as Arroyo Seco del Diablo and Arroyo Tapiado. There are Mud Caves off of Arroyo Tapiado, and lots of interesting geology in Canyon Sin Nombre. Wells rates Canyon Sin Nombre and Vallecitos Wash as easy (Wells route 56); Arroyo Seco Del Diablo and Arroyo Tapiado are rated a mix of easy and moderate (Wells route 57).

Camping: there are several options in the area, including Blair Valley and Little Blair Valley, the Bow Willow Creek area and others. Looks like it will be a full moon that night.

No open fires are allowed in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, so if anyone has a fire pit they can bring please post up so we can coordinate that.

- Sunday can include a trip north to Fish Creek via the Diablo Dropoff (rated difficult, see Wells route 57), or whatever we don't hit on Saturday in the immediate area.

Meet Spot: Blair Valley Primitive Camp, just off Hwy S-2 about 6 miles south of Scissors Crossing (junction Hwys 78 and S-2). Coming from the north it is at about mile post 23, on the left (east side) just after you go over Little Pass. Look for a vault toilet and State Park signboard on the left.

Meet spot GPS coordinates: N33 02 13.7 W116 24 35.1

Meet Time: 10:00AM Saturday November 24

Comm: FRS channel 11, sub-code 24
CB radio channel 24

Re: 11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 13/11/07 08:28 PM

Is this a clothing optional run?

Re: 11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 13/11/07 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch1351:
Is this a clothing optional run?
I thought the November run was always clothing optional?

Re: 11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 25/11/07 08:36 PM

Wow what a trip. The camp site Saturday was nice - deep in a sandstone canyon. The next morning those that staid over night did the amazing Fish Canyon.

Re: 11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 25/11/07 09:58 PM

Sandstone Canyon is great. I've been out there 4 or 5 times since I got my Xterra. One of my favorites.

Re: 11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 28/11/07 05:55 PM

Wish I could have gone when is the next one???

Re: 11/24-25 Anza Borrego: November Xcursion - 28/11/07 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boats:
Wish I could have gone when is the next one???
We run every month. Keep your eye here or come over to SCCX.