X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear…

Posted by: Xtoolbox

X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 29/07/03 04:49 PM

I'm really looking forward to our annual run to the local SB Mts smile We always seem to have a great time/turnout and this one promises to be the best ever laugh
http://www.sccxterra.com/xcursion44.html

Since we've been to big bear a couple times this this year and run most of trails on the east end already anyway we're going to focus on some of the other areas in Arrowhead we haven't been to for a while and other fun ones that end up in Big Bear. Going to feature two solid days of off-roading including some more challenging wheelin' then we normally do but everybody is encouraged to attend no matter what you drive. For those that what to stick with the moderate trails you can run the first two legs on Saturday (Willow & Rouse) and the last one on Sunday (White Mt.) and come/go as you please then meet up with us at camp which has easy access.

Hope to CYA [Wave]
Brian

BTW the calendar has been updated to include CALX4 10/10-12 to the Eastern Sierra Nevada's
http://www.sccxterra.com/xcalendar.html

Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 29/07/03 11:01 PM

this will be my first trip with other xterras (mostly go w/ friends' cherokee and chevy's) and i will be sure to show up this time. (shitty directions from yahoo on meet point last time frown )
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 30/07/03 10:39 PM

I've got an '02 Frontier Desert Runner edition (2wd on 4x4 chassis) and I'm dying to hook up and do some offroading but not sure if it'll handle the trails. I was quite dissappointed to discover I don't even have LSD. What do you guys think about my truck on these trails? Love to join you but don't want to be towed behind an Xterra all day wink

Thanks,
Derrick

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 31/07/03 06:30 AM

the website for southern california club xterra is www.sccxterra.com. there's more activity there and people will answer your questions sooner.
your truck is welcome i'm sure, i see pics of other trucks during xterra meets all the time. i believe some trails in Arrowhead are runable for a 4x2.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 07/08/03 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
the website for southern california club xterra is www.sccxterra.com. there's more activity there and people will answer your questions sooner.
your truck is welcome i'm sure, i see pics of other trucks during xterra meets all the time. i believe some trails in Arrowhead are runable for a 4x2.
I tried accessing the website and it says access is forbidden. is there another way to reach them?
Posted by: krisjon

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 07/08/03 07:07 PM

The site is up and working fine for me. That link is bad for some reason. Just type in the address.
Posted by: LAXterra

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 07/08/03 07:46 PM

Quote:
the website for southern california club xterra is www.sccxterra.com
Corrected ClaptoVaughn's link in my quote. laugh
He had added a punctuation period or a dot after com.
wink

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 07/08/03 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LAXterra:
Quote:
[b]the website for southern california club xterra is www.sccxterra.com
Corrected ClaptoVaughn's link in my quote. laugh
He had added a punctuation period or a dot after com.
wink [/b]
Good eye, Cary. I wondered why that link wasn't working.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 08/08/03 09:00 AM

Hey Derrick or any of the other new people to the club, please come out for the sat 8/23 run [Wave] The first two legs are easy/for beginners, really doesn't matter if you have a 4x2 wo/lsd, stock 4x4, or never off-roaded before. We will help you learn the proper techniques, show you the lines and help you out if you need it.

The thread on the club board is at:
http://www.sccxterra.com/board/thread.cfm?TID=1427

Hope to CYA
Brian

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 08/08/03 04:16 PM

Hmmmm, I'm considering going to this one. Someone needs to convice me though. smile
Posted by: Loop Choke

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 08/08/03 07:28 PM

Why does someone need to convince you?

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 08/08/03 09:05 PM

I was only half joking. I've never been to a gathering such as this before and I have no idea what to expect.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 09/08/03 12:29 PM

You should join us.

As far as what to expect, I'd say cool people, fun trails, beautiful scenery and some beer thrown in here or there (back at the campground of course!).

Some people bring their wives and/or kids...there's pretty much always something for everyone.

Don't be at all intimidated about showing up. We have new people on virtually every run we do. This Big Bear trip would be a great first trip as it's one everyone looks forward to.

If you feel like going, get a hold of me...you're welcome to follow me up/caravan when I go.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 10/08/03 02:20 PM

do you guys have a designated photographer everytime you go? i mean someone who will take the pics and post them online somewhere? i recently smashed/lost/misplaced my digital cam, and i was hoping on getting pics of my first xterra meet.
i ordered my shrockworks sliders last week, hopefully they'll come in time.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 10/08/03 08:21 PM

Quote:
do you guys have a designated photographer everytime you go? i mean someone who will take the pics and post them online somewhere? i recently smashed/lost/misplaced my digital cam, and i was hoping on getting pics of my first xterra meet.
i ordered my shrockworks sliders last week, hopefully they'll come in time.
There's no designated photographer, but there's always several people who take pictures and post them. It wouldn't hurt to bring a little disposable camera along in case you want to get particular shots of yourself 'in action'.

As far as your Shrockbars go, hopefully they'll show up in time. Mine took a little over a month to get, but it all depends on where Jim is in the production run. If you shoot him an email, he should be able to give you a pretty good idea of a delivery date. My bars were unexpectedly held up at the powdercoater, but Jim kept me informed the whole time. They're worth the wait though.

Hope to see ya out there.

- Christian

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 18/08/03 05:40 PM

CV,

We have a few shutterbugs in the club wink I normally try to get some good shots of all the 1st timers just remind me/point our your X in the crowd laugh

Oh year, for those that asked:

The group camping fee should only be <$6 per truck but really depends on how many camp. The site is ~ $55 total per night that we will divide up evenly

Sliders aren't really needed for the first two legs on Saturday but everybody should remove the stock step rails as a precaution as we always recommend.

Don't be shy :p scorpion is the only one that bites and he's on the DL saidly frown

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 23/08/03 07:25 PM

Guys, that freakin ruled today! smile I totally had beginners luck on my side a few times i'm sure. Thanks to everyone that was out there today. I was finally able to see first hand what my Xterra is capable of doing. [Wave]

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 23/08/03 11:09 PM

Yeah, totally great run. And kudos to you Timmy. Great job today.
Posted by: DueNorth

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 23/08/03 11:15 PM

Great run everyone. smile Though a portion of the group is still up in the mountain.

Today wasn't my day as I got stuck at certain areas twice. frown

Oh well, I guess I need more practice. wink
Posted by: dhsundance

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 24/08/03 09:24 AM

I too had a great time. It was great wheelin' and we even found some caches. Parsa and I left the campsite around 6:30. I was thinking I would get home around 9:30. But then we did some caches, got some dinner at an Arrowbear locals' Mexican restaurant that was doing Karaoke night, and then halfway down the mountain I realized we weren't aired up. To say the least I got home later than expeced.

It was great to meet new people and old friends.

Dave

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 24/08/03 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DueNorth:
Oh well, I guess I need more practice. wink
Hey you can come out with me and the girls anytime. We will probably hit Hungry Valley again in a couple of weeks.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 24/08/03 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GenX Timmy:
Guys, that freakin ruled today! smile I totally had beginners luck on my side a few times i'm sure. Thanks to everyone that was out there today. I was finally able to see first hand what my Xterra is capable of doing. [Wave]
I'm glad you were able to make it out with us and had such a good time. We were worried we might have scared a few people off because that wasn't our typical beginner's style run. Hope to see ya out again. I'll let you know if we do anything local soon.

- Christian

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 24/08/03 10:41 PM

This was definately a fun trip!!!!! We did some pretty challenging trails (Dave on Devil's Slide was a harrowing time) Again I would like to say good job and welcome to all of the newbies. Keep an eye on the boards. I tend to do something every weekend. As always you are welcome to join.

Jason laugh

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 24/08/03 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scorpion7051:
I tend to do something every weekend. As always you are welcome to join.
Jason laugh
Good to see ya this weekend, man...it's been too long and was a lot of fun. Take it easy on that arm for a few weeks though - you'll be back soon enough!

- Christian
Posted by: DueNorth

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 25/08/03 12:53 AM

Editor X - Thanks for the offer. After the Arrowhead run, I think Hungry Valley will be timid. wink Oh, will you be making a movie file soon of that video footage? It looks great from a 3rd person's perspective. smile

Thanks Jason for all your help up that hill. laugh Man it must have been tough trying to negotiate the rocks with only one hand.

Here are some pics of the first day:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/044598F02D87C9D

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 25/08/03 08:25 AM

Yeah I will cut together something from the video and post it sometime this week. The footage looks pretty good. Next time I want to be further up the line so I can get some more people on film though.

As for Hungry Valley, it's local for me, and I have found a few good trails with some nice challenges on them. The blue runs are nice, but you are right. I have yet to find anything like what we all did this weekend.
Posted by: buffalo

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 25/08/03 09:19 AM

Had lots of fun thanks to everyone. Hey TIm I don't remember if I told you the 215 to the 15 to get to san Diego or the 215 to the 10 to the 15. I hope I did not send you in the wrong direction I tried getting your attention when we got on the 10 fwy but had no luck. I hope I didn't make your trip back to San Diego longer then it should have been.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 25/08/03 05:17 PM

Yo buffalo, I actually found my way home just fine. I'm glad Caltrans keeps their signs updated. smile

To everyone, again, you showed this first timer a great time. Looking back I think of how unreal some of the things I did were. I was surprised that most of it was effortless. Although according to Editor X it looked like I was gonna lose it on the first hill. eek I hit a few lines wrong I'm sure of that. I was very impressed with the leadership of the entire group. Everyone was more than willing to help eachother out, answer ANY questions I had and were all very welcoming to this newbie. Thanks so much again. I'll be out for another one for sure! smile

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 25/08/03 09:50 PM

Well I never actually said that I thought that you were going to loose it...more like I thought you were testing the balancing capabillities of your new X. laugh

I will admit you made me nervous once but you handled your truck really well for your first run. Everyone should come through with style points like that.

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 25/08/03 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
Quote:
Originally posted by scorpion7051:
[b] I tend to do something every weekend. As always you are welcome to join.
Jason laugh
Good to see ya this weekend, man...it's been too long and was a lot of fun. Take it easy on that arm for a few weeks though - you'll be back soon enough!

- Christian[/b]
Yeah, it was good to see everyone again. I missed the last couple of runs. I am going to take it easy for a while. Unfortunately, that means no fighting for 3 months. I will have to train extra hard when I get back to get caught up. Looking forward to the next run. See ya all soon!!!!!!!

Jason

Re: X44 8/23-24 Arrowhead / Big Bear… - 28/08/03 10:02 AM

Just in case anyone missed it...a smallish video of the run (sorry about the limited footage) is up in the Video area of XOC and on SCCX.

Enjoy

David