Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1

Posted by: Anonymous

Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 25/03/03 01:11 PM

I am coordinating the Xterra West Championships up at Big Bear Lake, May 31 - June 1.
I have made reservations for myself for Friday night, May 30 - Sunday morning, June 1, at Serrano Campground, on the north side of the lake, across from the visitor's center. It has bathrooms and showers (a requirement for my wife to go!! :rolleyes: ).

There are still a number of sites available, at a cost of $23 per night. I reserved site 30, and there are still a handful of sites available around/nearby. I recommend you make your reservations SOON, by going to http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/ca/serr/newindex.html

You need to be registered with ReserveAmerica or ReserveUSA to make reservations (whether or not you're registered with them, click on "Book Now", and you will be taken to a screen to sign in, or you are given an option to register at that time).

I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG THESE SPOTS ARE GOING TO LAST FOR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND, SO I SUGGEST YOU RESERVE SOON!! eek

Lory

Of course, you can always stay at other campgrounds that don't have the amenities.....
[Wave]
Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 26/03/03 06:25 PM

i'm new, so i don't know much about these meets. what goes on at the xterra championships? offroad contest?
Posted by: Xtoolbox

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 28/03/03 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
i'm new, so i don't know much about these meets. what goes on at the xterra championships? offroad contest?
It's primarily a triathlon event but they will be a Nissan Xterra Owners SUV Trials Competition for those in the club. No racing but basically a timed obstacle type course
http://www.xterraplanet.com/race/west_root.html

Of course we will be doing some off-roading and camping in the general vicinity on our own laugh among other things
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 28/03/03 04:08 PM

Here are some pics from last years event in Half Moon Bay, CA.

5k/10k run:
http://community.webshots.com/album/47465232SNikRI

Mountain Bike Race:
http://community.webshots.com/album/47465193gYCQdl

Misc Event photos:
http://community.webshots.com/album/47459481jEWmGd

I competed in the bike race (came in dead last). JohnnyX also competed, and his wife ran in the 5k.

The event organizers were VERY NICE TO XTERRA OWNERS. They all gave us prime parking inside the event gates. So we got to park among the product tents and show off our Xterra's to the other event goers. Also they gave us an "Xterra Show". They had judges who scored each Xterra on various categories handing out trophies for "Best Stock", "Best Custom", and "Best of Show". Winners got trophies and an Xterra Runners watch. All Xterra owners and their guests got free Xterra T-shirts. IF you race in the run or the bike race, you also get free registration (for being an Xterra owner) and that comes with a t-shirt as well.

NCCX basically spent the day showing off our trucks and talking to people about the club. Its free exposure for the Xterra owners and for the Xterraplanet organization. IF you get a chance to go, I highly recommend it.
Posted by: Mike Velazquez

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 28/03/03 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:

I competed in the bike race (came in dead last)
No problem you did have FUN right????? How was the MTB course ????? How many miles????? [Wave]
Posted by: dhsundance

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 28/03/03 09:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KJ_dragon:
The event organizers were VERY NICE TO XTERRA OWNERS. They all gave us prime parking inside the event gates. So we got to park among the product tents and show off our Xterra's to the other event goers. Also they gave us an "Xterra Show". They had judges who scored each Xterra on various categories handing out trophies for "Best Stock", "Best Custom", and "Best of Show".

NCCX basically spent the day showing off our trucks and talking to people about the club.

So does that mean I need to wash (or professionally detail) my truck? Or is dirt cosidered like evidence of usage?

Dave
Posted by: Deathmark

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 29/03/03 05:58 PM

Would this be open for a few Vegas chaps?

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 31/03/03 03:21 PM

The mtb race was fun. The course was basically flat. They took an open field and bulldozed a 10-ft wide track and smoothed it out with a roller. There were soft spots and hard spots so the terrian was sorta varied. Also at Half Moon Bay, wind was a factor as well. I was seriously winded after only one practice lap.

I am not sure how many miles the race was. They stopped the race when the leaders finished 26 laps (or something like that). When you get lapped (I got lapped like 4 or 5 times), you dont have to finish those laps. The event organizers adjust as they go, depending on the condition of the competitors.

As far as cleaning your xterra I would clean everything!! the underside, the engine, the body, the interior. The judges for our competition did not judge for "off-road" useage. They judged for "outdoor useage". They wanted to emphasize the Xterra's rugged image with runners, campers, bikers, hikers, etc. Off-roading isnt exactly a target audience with the Xterra people. I won because I was loaded that day with my bike gear and I had set up a mini-camp ground at my tailgate for lunch. (folding chairs and tables, and a ministove for cooking)

Honestly, I think I won the trophie cause I fit what they were looking for. My truck was clean, I was participating in the bike race, and I had my bike and camping gear with me. There were other guys with more off-road mods and they didn't really get a second look.

If you guys in SCCX are serious in participating in this event, you should contact Janet Clark from Xterra Planet. jclark@teamunlimited.com

She was in charge of the event in past years and was the person responsible for treating Xterra owners so well. At the very least, if she knows you guys are coming, she can load up on the t-shirts and let the gate workers know you are coming so they can let you in and park in the center of attention.
Posted by: Mike Velazquez

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 31/03/03 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info KJ Dragon sounds like a Great time. I know the GANG (SCCX) is looking forward to this event. I myself will be doing the MTB race and just sitting around looking cool cool [Laughing] [Spit] [Laughing] [Wave]

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 05/04/03 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KJ_dragon:

If you guys in SCCX are serious in participating in this event, you should contact Janet Clark from Xterra Planet. jclark@teamunlimited.com

She was in charge of the event in past years and was the person responsible for treating Xterra owners so well. At the very least, if she knows you guys are coming, she can load up on the t-shirts and let the gate workers know you are coming so they can let you in and park in the center of attention.
Actually, I have e-mailed her, but have not heard a thing....I would guess she's really busy right now, what with the change of venue.... [Uh Oh !]

I will try again, though.....

Lory

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 05/04/03 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathmark:
Would this be open for a few Vegas chaps?
We'd be happy to have you join us!! Check the SCCX board (http://www.sccxterra.com/) to get up-to-date info. There is a post there about a campsite across the lake many of us are staying at. Don't know, though, if there are any available sites....you might want to hurry to get your reservations.....

If there aren't, post a note, or e-mail me at blue_leader_2000@yahoo.com, and I will see what I can find out.....

Lory J aka Blue Leader
SCCX
Posted by: Silent Thunder

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 06/04/03 06:17 PM

frown I'm bummed I can't make this event - prior commitment that same weekend. Sounds like a cool thing to check out.

Please post pix after the event. Thanks.
Posted by: johnnyx

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 08/04/03 11:08 PM

Who's that knucklehead in the middle? laugh

"knucklehead"

Yeah, that was a fun time. Too bad Half Moon Bay won't happen this year...

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 09/04/03 10:11 AM

Johnnyx,
I think you were trying to post a link to This Knucklehead

Webshots doesn't like to host direct links to photos, but they will let you post links to webpages.
Posted by: XROCK

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 29/04/03 11:39 AM

Are you guys doing Volunteer work for the event?

When we do the triathalon in Phoenix, the organizers give us free camping, dinner and beer the night before along with event t-shirts.

All we have to do is park our X's along the route and give people water and stuff.

I hard a card for the Main Xterra triathalon organizer- I'll try to find it so you can contact him.
Posted by: Xtoolbox

Re: Xterra West Championships, May 31 - June 1 - 29/05/03 05:53 PM

FYI latest update for those that haven't been following the threads on the club board:

They will be a "best of show" trophies to the most fabulous looking Xterra's (stock and modified) on display, plus we will have a booth at the base area.

All members will receive a complimentary Nissan Xterra USA Championship Series t-shirt, and complimentary entry to their choice of trail run or mtb...or even Xterra Sport! We will be having a special off-road Xcursion to the tail to the on the Summit of Snow Summit from the base area on 5/31.

Although this is primarily a triathlon event, the SCCX racing team will be in Mountain Bike event on sunday. For more info see:
http://www.xterraplanet.com/race/west_root.html

Hope to CYA [Wave] bring the bike, kids, etc. In addition to the championship events we will be camping at Serrano and wheelin' the trails all weekend so please come up & join us smile prefect opportunity for new members as well as all the returning vets.