Hello there - new to the XOC...

Posted by: Anonymous

Hello there - new to the XOC... - 24/03/07 07:55 PM

Hello there - new to the XOC, but not to my Xterra! I have owned my 2000 blue beauty SE 4x4 5 spd since new!

I would like to get "on the list" or whatever for any SCCX stuff, as I am getting out of the military soon and should have some free time to go out and enjoy!

I have been in the Marine Corps for 8 years and get out in about two weeks. I did three tours in Iraq (about 2.5 years............) and a slew of other deployments. I am looking at having fun with my 2000 X for a while and then upgrading to an '06 or '07... or an '08 if I procrstinate long enough!

Anyway, I live up in North County Oceanside/Carlsbad/Vista area and love to cycle and rock climb as well as drink some really good dark beer! [drink]

There is a problem with ol blue right now though...

A few thousand miles ago we were on a trip through Baja over Christmas and the clutch started screaming at us... lol... really making loud and horrible noises that frightened the locals... Had the cluctch replaced, no probo.

BUT, the transmission had started 'wobbling' when in the first gear position. My buddy/mechanic said that the tranny is probably on its way out, but that it might be good for a while. When I say "wobble" I mean that when I would place the tranny in first and began to apply power the stick itself would shake really badly. If I held onto it you could feel stuff not meeting up right, like stripping a screw...

Unfortunately it was not. The other night, while stuck in some wonderful 405 bumper to bumper, 1st gear DISAPPEARED. Seriously. It is just gone. I can put the stick in first, let out the clutch all the way and just idle there. It is gone.

So what does this mean? Do I need a new tranny? Is it something simple like bushings or the synchros on 1st?

And if it is bad and I need work done... does anyone know any good Nissan guys in San Diego County? How much for a used or new tranny that will fit a '00?

AND will the new 6 speed fit in a 2000?

I have posted in the drivetrain and Noob corner sections... hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

And I hope that I can become a part of SCCX and have some good fun in the near future. Look forward to talking with you all! Cheers! [drink]

Re: Hello there - new to the XOC... - 25/03/07 09:50 PM

Welcome, there are lots of us in San Diego. Be sure to check out the So Cal Club Xterra at www.sccxterra.com and join us on a run.

I am sure you'll see a few more responses as we get unpacked from our club run this weekend.

Re: Hello there - new to the XOC... - 26/03/07 06:48 AM

Welcome

Re: Hello there - new to the XOC... - 26/03/07 03:55 PM

Welcome aboard.

Maybe X2THA_T will chime in on the trans. They just had a bunch of work done on theirs and they are down your way.

Re: Hello there - new to the XOC... - 29/03/07 07:48 PM

Awesome, thanks! As soon as I get my tranny fixed/replaced I will be sure to hop along on a ride!