big bear

Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

big bear - 24/10/03 12:33 AM

i've been wanting to do big bear ever since i saw those snow pics from last year. although it's probably not snowing yet, anyone interested in a one-day wheeling trip?
hopefully someone who knows the trail could come, as it would make the going easier/safer.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: big bear - 24/10/03 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
i've been wanting to do big bear ever since i saw those snow pics from last year. although it's probably not snowing yet, anyone interested in a one-day wheeling trip?
hopefully someone who knows the trail could come, as it would make the going easier/safer.
I might be up for it...when did you want to go? I have a couple of tournaments in Nov. so that is unlikely. First weekend in Dec?

Re: big bear - 24/10/03 09:12 PM

as soon as possible, i'm antsy smile .
but december would be fine for me too, because if mother nature feels like being nice to me she'll give me snow up there.

Re: big bear - 27/10/03 08:36 AM

I don't think that I or anyone else will be going up to Big Bear anytime soon. There was alot of dead wood up there that I am sure is burning this morning.

Re: big bear - 27/10/03 09:12 PM

i've heard they closed off the roads/highways leading into big bear as well, only letting residents in.
just as well, i don't think we'll make the situation any better for the residents or firemen in case the fire gets worse.

Re: big bear - 28/10/03 09:10 AM

Quote:
i've heard they closed off the roads/highways leading into big bear as well, only letting residents in.
just as well, i don't think we'll make the situation any better for the residents or firemen in case the fire gets worse.
Not to mention that they have closed the forest areas up there.

Re: big bear - 17/11/03 11:35 AM

does anyone know about the condition of the trails at big bear? are they open yet?
Posted by: Xtoolbox

Re: big bear - 18/11/03 05:31 PM

Quote:
does anyone know about the condition of the trails at big bear? are they open yet?
Between the weather, snow, fire damage, and limited access waiting until spring is you're best bet, however some of the easterly trails could be a possibility

From the FS:

"Date: November 6, 2003 San Bernardino National Forest
1824 S. Commercenter Circle
San Bernardino, California 92408
For Immediate Release
Contacts: Ruth Wenstrom
909-315-5863

Forest Areas Reopen to the Public
Unburned areas within the San Bernardino National Forest will reopen to the public on Friday to allow for weekend use, according to Forest Supervisor Gene Zimmerman.

“We greatly appreciate the public's patience and cooperation while the closure was in effect,” said Forest Supervisor Gene Zimmerman. “Keeping the area closed allowed us to focus all of our energy on fighting the fire. Now that the immediate danger is past, we're anxious to make the unburned areas available for recreation use.”

Areas damaged by the fire will remain closed to help ensure recovery, added Zimmerman. “Damage by vehicles is one of the primary problems in successful restoration and preventing illegal vehicle use is one of our biggest challenges.” The Forest is also keeping the Pinnacles OHV Staging Area closed because it provides direct access for vehicles to enter the fire area.

The closure area includes all National Forest land between the Angeles National Forest on the west and Highway 330 on the east, with the exception of the area north of Lone Pine Canyon Road. In the area east of Running Springs, the closure extends east along Highway 18 to Green Valley Road, then northeast along Forest Roads 3N16 and 3N14 to the Forest boundary.

Forest Roads 1N09 and 1N13 will be closed, as well as all Forest roads and trails within the closure area. State and Federal Highways are not affected by the closure order, and their reopening is dependent upon the completion of repairs"