Oil Capacity?

Posted by: Anonymous

Oil Capacity? - 22/11/03 05:50 PM

This is my first oil change on my 2003 X-SE, and I was wondering how many quarts does this thing hold? Its v6 - no SC..

Thank you
Posted by: off2cjb

Re: Oil Capacity? - 22/11/03 05:55 PM

3.5 quarts I do believe. Believe it or not, it is written in your owner's manual towards the back, probably under maintainence.
Posted by: roofgoat

Re: Oil Capacity? - 22/11/03 07:27 PM

And hopefully he doesn't use Mobil 1 Syn. The stuff is invisible when checking the oil on the dip when new.
Posted by: OnlyOneDR

Re: Oil Capacity? - 22/11/03 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by roofgoat:
And hopefully he doesn't use Mobil 1 Syn. The stuff is invisible when checking the oil on the dip when new.
Exactly what I like about it, instead of looking half "dirty" when you put in the new stuff (like most other oils), it actually looks clean!
Posted by: roofgoat

Re: Oil Capacity? - 23/11/03 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR:
Quote:
Originally posted by roofgoat:
[b]And hopefully he doesn't use Mobil 1 Syn. The stuff is invisible when checking the oil on the dip when new.
Exactly what I like about it, instead of looking half "dirty" when you put in the new stuff (like most other oils), it actually looks clean![/b]
But am I right, you check it new and it almost looks like there is no oil. The first time I used M1, I thought I only put 2 and 3/4 quarts, not 3 and 3/4. I had to double check the bottles that were empty.

Re: Oil Capacity? - 23/11/03 09:45 AM

Thanks guys, like he said I couldnt tell on the dipstick, so I dumped all the oil out and will start over mad I checked the book and couldnt find it, added 4.5 then asked you guys, after the knowledge placed upon me with the 3.5 I scoured the book and found it in the back. Oh well atleast I didnt drive it anywhere.

Thanks again!!!
Posted by: Firebraun

Re: Oil Capacity? - 23/11/03 10:42 AM

It's usually a good idea to know the oil capacity before you start to do an oil change. If for no other reason than being able to get the right amount of oil when you go to the auto parts store... wink
Posted by: altima

Re: Oil Capacity? - 23/11/03 11:14 AM

Thats the only thing I hate about the X, it has the most worthless dipstick ever, hard to read. And yeah it takes 3.5 quarts.

Re: Oil Capacity? - 23/11/03 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebraun:
It's usually a good idea to know the oil capacity before you start to do an oil change. If for no other reason than being able to get the right amount of oil when you go to the auto parts store... wink
[ThumbsUp]

Re: Oil Capacity? - 10/12/03 07:57 PM

not a bad idea...an aftermarket dipstick.
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: Oil Capacity? - 10/12/03 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by altima:
Thats the only thing I hate about the X, it has the most worthless dipstick ever, hard to read. And yeah it takes 3.5 quarts.
Just wipe the cross hatched part of the dipstick real well then check it. It holds the oil if there's any in there and is very accurate. I like the Xterra dipstick more than most I've used.
Posted by: Paul H

Re: Oil Capacity? - 11/12/03 12:11 AM

Or just pour 3.5 quarts in and be done with it.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Oil Capacity? - 11/12/03 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by altima:
The 4 sides of it are never the same... I just go by the lowest one.