Question for owners of ARB air locker

Posted by: XPLORx4

Question for owners of ARB air locker - 03/05/02 11:52 AM

I have an ARB locker installed in my H233B rear diff. The locker engages and disengages without any problems. But when I switch off the locker, gear oil sprays out of the solenoid... not a lot, but enough to make a mess. It's probably the same amount as a squirt of Windex or other cleaning product. (I've covered the solenoid air valve with a rag to soak up the sprayed-out oil.)
Since the locker works (and doesn't lose significant pressure when engaged) I assume that the O-rings are OK. But maybe it's normal for gear oil to make it past the O-rings and into the air line.... ??
Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Posted by: DesertHB

Re: Question for owners of ARB air locker - 03/05/02 12:27 PM

I have had my locker for about a month and have not had this problem. I would go back to the shop who installed it and see if they can take a look at it.

-Doug
Posted by: Matt Peckham

Re: Question for owners of ARB air locker - 09/05/02 05:36 AM

make sure that your axle breather valve is totally clear. if not, then the air forced into your locker is then forcing air and oil back up the tube and your air hose to the ARB is now your axle breather valve. unclamp the breather valve, buy a new one, and stick that on. you may want to extend it, as the stock one is kinda short.

Hope that helps.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Question for owners of ARB air locker - 09/05/02 07:02 AM

He's got a Pathy, so I don't quite know how they did it, but my X doesn't have a short valve sitting on the diff, it has a hose going up to the body. Seems the newer Xterras have a valve.

Brent