Front Hubs

Posted by: Anonymous

Front Hubs - 21/03/04 07:17 PM

Looking for anyone who may hane experienced this
I have what seems to look like oil or grease seeping from the back side of my hub(where the cv axle goes into hub) on the back side of the wheel, just want to know if this is normal or if i should take it in. still under warranty only got 7500 mi. Thanks
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: Front Hubs - 21/03/04 11:17 PM

A little bit may be normal seepage, but if it looks like a lot, the grease seal may be chewed up. Honestly, if it bothers you it doesn't hurt to run by the dealer for a look. Have you used 4 wheel drive much?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Front Hubs - 22/03/04 04:36 PM

I use 4x4 kind of a lot i went home to wisconsin in january and used it like everyday for 2 weeks ice fishing driving on the lake in deep snow and i take it out to a sandbar here by a river about every other weekend. Does using 4 wheel drive chew up the seal?
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: Front Hubs - 22/03/04 05:09 PM

The grease seal really shouldn't if everything is clean, but it's just a rubber flap resting against the spindle. I've noticed mine get a little roughed up using 4wd. It's a cheap part if it is FUBAR and it's probably not a bad idea to repack the hubs if you go through a lot of mud or water in 4wd. It's a 30,000 mile maintenance item, but I've been doing mine ever 5-10,000 depending on how much slop I go through.