48K on my X Motor has let loose...

Posted by: xterrasd

48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 10/03/02 07:11 PM

I use Mobil 1 Change it more often then I need to 3K miles and I spin bearings???? This without a doubt sucks. I have never towed anything etc. So far Nissan has done the right thing, put me in a rental car and hopefully do a long block swap out with my old engine.

We shall see.

RJ swap.. smile
Posted by: Strom

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 10/03/02 07:45 PM

What were the warning signs on this happening? Any?

Good thing it was under warranty!!
Posted by: SCoach

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 10/03/02 09:46 PM

This is almost unheard of in a modern engine unless there was a bearing fault to begin with, or something went VERY wrong with your oil filtration or oil pressure. How often were you chaging filters and what type were they? Please don't say Fram.

In any event, I refuse to rely on any vehicle that doesn't have an oil pressure gauge, but at 48k, I have to suspect a build-time failure. Which bearing did you lose? Crank or cam?

-P

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrasd:
I use Mobil 1 Change it more often then I need to 3K miles and I spin bearings???? This without a doubt sucks. I have never towed anything etc. So far Nissan has done the right thing, put me in a rental car and hopefully do a long block swap out with my old engine.

We shall see.

RJ swap.. smile
Posted by: Xorro

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 11/03/02 09:38 AM

this is disturbing, especially with Mobil 1 and all.

which dealer are you using, Mossy or Pacific? please update on the progress and outcome! frown
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 11/03/02 09:57 AM

It could be a connecting rod bearing, not a main (crank) bearing or cam bearing. On a Nissan motor with 48K, I think it was damaged or built improperly at the factory otherwise ran without oil. Im sure if it was the latter of the two you would've known, with all of the lovely noises, bells, whistles, and lights. Good luck.
Posted by: SCoach

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 11/03/02 10:38 AM

Umm...

Where exactly would one find a connecting rod bearing that was not on the crank? On the wrist pin?

-P

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
It could be a connecting rod bearing, not a main (crank) bearing or cam bearing.
Posted by: xterrasd

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 19/03/02 06:21 PM

Okay, here's the scoop form the dealer. Xorro, I bought my truck from Mossy El Cajon so I took it back to them. Nissan is giving me a new short block. They say I had a few or maybe one? really awful looking cylinder/s They also made a comment about how a few of my plug tips were scorched! Tips broke off in their hands, they say??

I always thought my X when side by side with others had just a bit too much "tick" under the hood for my liking. At least it went while still under the original factory warranty.

RJ
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 20/03/02 11:53 AM

I would expect a new long block if the plugs got damaged like that!

Brent
Posted by: LOGAN

Re: 48K on my X Motor has let loose... - 20/03/02 04:44 PM

Excuse me...NISSAN....are you reading this?!?!? This is the third person I know in an Xterra under 50k miles that has had this problem!!!!!

Two here in SoCal and now you!!!!