Highway trouble

Posted by: Anonymous

Highway trouble - 19/10/04 02:39 PM

I drove to Boston this weekend, I was going 90 and over on the highway. But, when I hit 100 the engine like, slowed itself down. Is there some safety mechanism or something that keeps the X from going over 100? thanks -Will
Posted by: XOC

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 02:46 PM

Yes, it's called the "Idiot Management Control System", and it prevents stupid people from driving a 4000 SUV like it was a sports car.
Posted by: MOLTAR

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 02:49 PM

easy to disable, too! there's a how-to over on

www.idrivelikeanidiot.com

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 02:49 PM

is their anyway around it? I was being chased by a cop once, and my damn X also had the same problem it couldn't go any faster! I need this thing to outrun the police, or why else would I have bought it?

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:24 PM

wow, no would have been fine, the hostility wasn't really necessary. lol
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:35 PM

My Xterra has a 70 MPH limiter, AKA my wallet! Seriously, at probably 10 MPG or less I wouldn't drive the X at 100 MPH even if it were safe to do so!

This topic has been beaten to death a number of times and it always comes down to this. If you want to go fast, get something designed to go fast, join a club or the SCCA, and take it to a track to play once in awhile. Don't be racing your 2 ton, top heavy SUV with 90 MPH rated tires on the highways endangering people's lives. It's not worth the risk and nothing would suck more than going to a "Federal Pound Me In THe Ass Prison" because your ran your SUV into a compact and killed a baby in the back seat.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:50 PM

how much safer is driving your X around on rocks and rough terrain? I mean, honestly, i don't think it's such a big deal to drive faster, which everyone does in connecticut since th elimit is higher.
But I don't care about that, I'm just a little pissed that you guys got so damn touchy lol, I'm a new driver, this is my first car, im 17 for crying out loud, I just asked a question jesus christ.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:52 PM

by the way my X gets 20 mph highway and 17 mpg city.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:53 PM

I look forward to seeing your obituary.

A 17 year old who wants to drive 100 MPH in an SUV. Your parents must brother and sister.

Go kill yourself now before you kill someone else in an accident.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Will Antoniou:
how much safer is driving your X around on rocks and rough terrain?
You can't possibly be this stupid... well, maybe you can.

When I go 4 wheeling, there is about a zillion to one chance I will crash into other vehicles at 100 MPH.
Posted by: ButterBean

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yeagermeister:
easy to disable, too! there's a how-to over on

www.idrivelikeanidiot.com
How come I can't get to the website? [LOL]

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:01 PM

Obviously not hitting other cars, but it's not a whole lot safer for whoever's in the car.

What is you problem guys? lol When was the last time you got laid....

Right, I'm 17, and yet, I'm getting to you this much... what does that say?
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:04 PM

Quote:
how much safer is driving your X around on rocks and rough terrain? I mean, honestly, i don't think it's such a big deal to drive faster, which everyone does in connecticut since th elimit is higher.
But I don't care about that, I'm just a little pissed that you guys got so damn touchy lol, I'm a new driver, this is my first car, im 17 for crying out loud, I just asked a question jesus christ.
1) It's a truck/SUV - not a car. Maybe this is your problem. You think its a car, so you drive it with a car mentality. The reality is - you are driving a top heavy SUV on a truck frame - not a "car".

2) Another spoiled teen with a new SUV that needs to learn how to drive safely. :rolleyes:

We are "so damn touchy" cause this is a freakin serious issue. How much bad press do SUV's get for rolling over and killing people? How many people complain about "those stupid SUV's driving like they own the road"? Its the few screwy drivers out there who ruin the reputations of those of us who drive safely.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:07 PM

Quote:
Obviously not hitting other cars, but it's not a whole lot safer for whoever's in the car.

What is you problem guys? lol When was the last time you got laid....

Right, I'm 17, and yet, I'm getting to you this much... what does that say?
You missed his point...

When you drive on the highway at 100mph and crash - chances are you are gonna take out someone else with you.

When you drive on rocks and crash - you are just gonna take yourself out.

You think this is "getting to us"? You ain't seen nothing yet - this is actually very nice compared to other newbies who come in here thinking that we are supposed to give them a break - "cause they are new".

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:09 PM

Quote:
Yup, you're stupid.

There were only four 4 wheeling deaths that I know of in the USA this year.

Go punch your Mom for me.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:21 PM

lol I'm not missing the point. I understand what you're saying.
And you think I could give a shit about how you treat other newbies? You're opinion doesn't dictate how the rest of my day is gonna go lol.

And for your info, I worked 2 summers in a row every day but sunday to buy this car. So don't call me spoiled you prick.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:26 PM

and by the way, aren't you a little old for "mom" jokes?

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:31 PM

hey, not to repeat anything that has already been said, but especially being a new driver try to keep the xterra to a reasonable speed...

At 90 mph if you had to swerve to miss something or if a tire blows, that biatch is gonna flip, and it is going to roll end over end repeatedly until you are dead or very seriously hurt. Keep that in mind.

Most people wreck their vehicles at least once. After that you be a bit more careful because you realize how fast it happens. Just try not to make that first time a bad one.

blah,blah 04 x, sweet! welcome!
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:38 PM

This just gets better! You're an inexperienced driver too! Most new drivers can barely control a vehicle safely at 20 MPH, what makes you think you can do it at 100?

Offroading is a completely different issue. First of all, if you roll an SUV at 5 MPH there's almost no chance of injury unless you aren't belted. Plus, anyone affected has already accepted any risks associated with the sport. Same goes for driving on the track...it's a more controlled environment and all participating accept the risks. If you are on a public highway nobody cares if you kill yourself...what we are concerned about is what innocent people might be killed by you; people who did not sign a disclaimer or otherwise acknowledge that they should be subject to increased risk beyond the norm. If you kill someone from speeding you can and will be charged with manslaughter and you'll have to live with it for the rest of your life. Would you like to spend 10 years or so behind bars and your next 70 years thinking about someone's 5 year old you killed because you were too selfish to drive responsibility?

Driving is serious shit kid and you have it easy. I have a commercial license and will tell you now that I'd get fucked from every direction if I play stupid on the road!

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:38 PM

thanks, that was a nice honest answer.
And, i probably won't drive as fast now becasue of this whole strain.

funny that the 17 year old is quickest to admit his mistake though...

o wait, you guys are admin! you don't make mistakes!

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:41 PM

what are you fucking mother theresa?
i just wanted you to answer a fucking question. its forum for crying out loud.
but instead you had to lecture me on my driving habits instead of answering a question about the car, o wait sorry "truck" or "x" if you prefer.
and its fine to give me tips on safer driving, but get down from you're fucking driver, i'm sure you were the perfect driver right out of the womb ! jesus you are such a douchebag.... (o jee, he might kick me out of the "club" now)

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 04:42 PM

*tower
Posted by: perna

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 05:17 PM

This will remove the limiter
Apexi

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 05:25 PM

at this point I doubt I'll buy it lol, but thanks none the less man

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 05:38 PM

Look Will, you won't have alot of people on here able to tell you how to remove the limiter, because they have never pushed their X to that speed. Me, personally yes, I have (have pushed the X to it's rev limiter), BUT I performed this action on a closed course, and by myself. There was nobody next to where I was, and I drove around just to check (and my friends blocked the entrance of the place with their cars). All these guys are trying to do is tell you that driving fast is unsafe. They have been driving the roads for years and they are only trying to enlightin you with their wisdom by telling you that it is a bad idea. Ya, it sucks that them enlightining you means being crude, hostile, and plainly asses. But they feel that the only way that they can enlightin you would be by screaming at you. Either way... I know how curiousity asks you to push the car once in a while, and I know how it feels. All I ask is that you perform this action in the safest way possible. On a closed course, with friends nearby, and with every car around you knowing fully of your actions (in other words with no cars around you). Also realize that the engineers at Nissan put a rev limiter on the X, at the spot it was at for a specific reason. They know that the X can go faster, and I'm sure that it can hit probably 130 mph (not considering aerodynamics). But remember that the engineers at Nissan put that rev limiter their for a reason, whether it be for aerodynamic purposes(maybe the cargo bin will rip off) or for suspension reasons (you hit a small bump and the tire pops). I'm sure their are many other reasons that I can't even think off yet, but know that engineers put safety in their cars, before curiosity. So do what you want, but know that the engineers at Nissan put reason in their creation, and be wary of your results.

For all of you that are mad at the fact that I have pushed my X, know that I have only perfomed this action on a closed course. I realize the safety issues, and I realize that I put myself in a safety risk, but know that I put nobody else in a safety risk.

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 05:47 PM

Damned round lighters

[Finger]

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 06:37 PM

If memory serves there was the minor issue of the tires being rated for less then 100 mph. a 4000 (well closer to 5000 but who is counting) pound truck isn't going to handle very well with 3 tires. I have done several weeks of skid pad & high speed training in NC.. Trust me when I say this: The sudden loss of a tire at high speed causes the car / truck to pull to that side. The faster you are driving, the harder the pull. The Xterra is high center of gravity. The frame alone is higher the the center of gravity on sports cars. The tranny & moter are mounted ABOVE the frame, making things worse. Forget the truck body that goes higher still. My hood is higher then the roof of a Honda S2000, and that is designed to go fast! If you want to go fast, get somthing lower to the ground. You WILL ROLL your truck. With 3 tires left, at high speed you will not be able to correct before it is to late. The rolling resistance of the bare rim, digging into the pavement at 100mph is far higher then the tire on the other side. If it is a front tire that fails, if you TOUCH the breaks, the other front will start to slow the truck, the bare rum will do squat. Yor will go from pulling to one side, to pulling to the other. As soon as you release the breaks, it will pull back to the side with the flat. Unless you know what is going to happen, and have practised it over & over, you are screwed. What are you going to do if the tire fails, as you are changing lanes or somthing? At 100mph there won't be any glass left, Whatever isn't tied down will be who knows where. The roof & sides arn't designed to stop a 100mph impact with a guard rail, tree, freeway support, someone elses car, the median.. whatever.
The truck will disintergrate around you. There may not be enough left to protect you by the time it comes to a stop, unless it hits the back of a semi or somthing, then you will be dead from the impact.
The reason everyone is jumping your shit is no one wants (more) bad press on suv's. Last thing I want is my insurance company to tell me is they are jacking my rates 1k a year because someone killef themselves and took out a family in a minivan.
Low center of gravity cars tend to skid & slide till they hit somthing.. guard rail, edge of the road & dirt sholder.. whatever.. High center of gravity trucks tend to flip (look at the exploders a few years ago) because teh driver does somthing they shouldn't have, and lacking the training don't know how to fix it before it is to late. Not all (or even most @ that speed) are recoverable. On the skid pad I lost it far more often then I saved it. But that was the idea, to get rid of the cockeyness, and teach us that this can KILL US!!

P.S. if you are responding to someone,
quote a little from them so people can keep up.

I you are intent on going faster, Try these people.
Posted by: IggyB

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 07:26 PM

Quote:
im 17 for crying out loud, I just asked a question jesus christ.
Keep driving at a hundred and you'll get to meet him or a personal representative real soon smile

Re: Highway trouble - 19/10/04 11:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just_Blue:
Look Will, you won't have alot of people on here able to tell you how to remove the limiter, because they have never pushed their X to that speed.
Thats bullshit, most people on here know you will get your ass reamed if you admit it, so all the little pussies shut up. You might as well say that noone here has ever gotten a speeding ticket [LOL]
So all you fuckers that yell at people for driving fast need to think about how many times you have gone over the posted speed limit, even if it is just 1 mph over, cause they posted it for a reason. [Finger]

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 01:35 AM

Who said anything about posted limit?

This discussion is about the govenor and the lunacy of 3 digit speeds in the Xterra. [Freak]

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by perna:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just_Blue:
[b]Look Will, you won't have alot of people on here able to tell you how to remove the limiter, because they have never pushed their X to that speed.

Thats bullshit, most people on here know you will get your ass reamed if you admit it, so all the little pussies shut up. You might as well say that noone here has ever gotten a speeding ticket [LOL]
So all you fuckers that yell at people for driving fast need to think about how many times you have gone over the posted speed limit, even if it is just 1 mph over, cause they posted it for a reason. [Finger] [/b]
Ya but Perna, these people are telling him not to go into the 3 digit speeds.

Wait a second... I don't think you're gonna understand me... Let me retype my statement but with more cuss words! Hopefully you can understand that!

Ya fucking perna, ya fucker, these fucking pussies are screaming at the fucker telling him not to fucking be a pussy and go over the fucking pussy assed reaming governer.

Hopefully I got my point across... the point that I lost 30 seconds ago... when I decided to involve cuss words that are completly out of context...

pussy... laugh

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 07:51 AM

hey, kid, dont do nothing stupid...wait a few years before you hit triple digits. my 00 topped out around 96 (yeah, i tried before, flame me smile ) on a straight, empty back road at like, 0130. thats when i almost ran outta gas lol. that brings me to a question i was originally gonna post today.
before i ask this question, i assure you, i have NO INTENTION of actually finding this out. since i put 33's on my X, i used my GPS to find out the diff in speed...im actually going between 6 and 6.5 faster then my speedo says. theoretically, if the engine/tranny combo COULD run these tires at that speed....would it go roughly 6mph past the gov? remember, i will never try and find out, my buddy and i were just wondering that yesterday

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 07:57 AM

wow, yall's governer hits in at the 90's? Weird... I hit 100, I think it cuts off at 105. Maybe it's cause I actually let my X down gear into 4th, and since I got the S/C it still has some pull to accelerate.

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 07:58 AM

The gov is based on engine RPM. I would think the engine is working harder to turn the bigger tires, so you probably can't get to 96 mph anymore. But that is just my theory.

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 08:10 AM

makes sense...its like its castrated once i hit 75-80(actual, not speedo). but it sure is fun driving it slow offroad on all those rocks. i'd hate to hit a rock doing like, 8 mph, it might roll down and hit a bigger rock and then a bigger rock and so on an so on and then hit some kids xterra on the highway b/c he was goin 100 mph and the vaccum he created sucked the rocks his way. god, that'd be a crazy avalanche smile [Finger]

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 08:32 AM

You read a post like Will's (started the thread) and wonder if someone like that will live long enough to realize how stupid they were. Everyone experiences being a child, not everyone makes it to old age.

My Harley Sportster has a rev limiter. Keeps you from having to worry about blowing up the motor. You can change it out of course, but engine life will most likely be shortened, because you will definitely over rev at times. And I'm not wanting to speed around, just cruise (I'm older). So, stock rev limiters such as in the X suit me just fine. The X moves my off road fun toys just fine (mountain bike, kayak) ... at posted speed limits . My mods are going into what will give me more MPH. Of course you then get into when is the payback. I haven't done the math really. If I shell out $700 and gain 4mph, it will take a while to see a return on investment. Maybe I should just take that money and buy some stocks. But, you have to weigh in the satisfaction factor. New engine sounds, tinkering with the X, etc. And if gas prices get up to $3 and beyond .....
Posted by: TJ

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 09:22 AM

According to my GPS, all you have to do to defeat the speed governor is use larger diameter tires.

Ones rated for the actual speed would of course be a good idea given the physics involved when losing control at triple digit speeds due to speed related tire failure.

laugh
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 10:31 AM

There's a difference between a rev limiter and a speed governor. Don't confuse the two.

As for this Antoniou kid, I got half a mind to call every Antoniou on Long Island and ask if they have a 17 year old son with an Xterra and let 'em know he's a freakin' dipshit out putting people's lives at risk in his brand new Xterra...

Brent

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 10:51 AM

Hmm, I guess it turns out that NOT everyone here would agree with ChuckH and BeefJerky. A lot of people have tried it. I never said that I do it on a regular basis, I was in connecticut where the speed limit was higher, so I said WTF, I might as well try it.

And, again, I'm sick of you asshole thinking ur so high and mighty. Go ahead, call every Antoniou up on Long Island, when you find my parents they'll tell you to go fuck yourself.

The fact of the matter is, I just asked a question, and a legitimate one at that.

So, I'm done, you guys can keep bitching about this if you want. I admitted my mistake earlier, but apparently some of you are such ENORMOUS assholes, that this has to drag on.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go drive 170 mph down my street... pricks
Posted by: superjens

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 11:08 AM

Quote:
And, again, I'm sick of you asshole thinking ur so high and mighty.
Listen kid, we were all your age once. When you mature and learn a few things in life, you'll understand more about what they're saying. Nobody is being high and mighty, they're hoping to instill some sense in you so you don't prove them right and crash into a pile of bystanders just because you get a thrill from speed.

You think we're all old grampas here, farting on about stupid speeding kids? No, we all remember exactly what it's like to be 17, cocky, arrogant and ignorant.

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 11:37 AM

Thanks OffroadX. Yes, different. But I guess I was thinking they both are controlling engine revs. Of course the governor is trying to maintain an RPM, where the rev limiter is putting a limit on the revs. So really, is the X's a governor or a rev limiter? Of course I'm basing my thoughts of a governor based on how old time governors work on say, my old Caterpillar dozer (of which I have and restore). I really don't know how the X's governor works, but was expecting it to be based on the engine's RPM, not the vehicles speed on the highway and really thinking of it as a rev limiter.

Here is a blurb from a website describing the old gas engine governors-
Gas engine governors are based on the principal of controlling engine speed by balancing spring pressure or tension against a force based on or controlled by engine speed. With a mechanical governor, spring pressure is balanced against the pressure from the force of spinning flyweights. Where the balance between the two is achieved is where the engine speed will be maintained. This is called the "governed speed". If the spring tension is increased, the result is an increase in throttle opening, and thus, engine speed.
If the spring tension is decreased, the throttle is closed, reducing engine speed until the balance is again restored.

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 11:58 AM

hahaha...

Speed governor at 100 mph??

I can't remember the last time my Frontier was even up to 70 mph...

I vote the 17 yr. old buy a lift, real tires, some decent bumpers, and some decent skids. Then see how fast the 3.3L can actually go... Won't have to worry about any speed limiter... 'Less you go out to Nebraska, there aren't any straight stretches east of the Mississippi that'll give you enough time to get up to that speed...

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 12:14 PM

I doubt the Xterra's speed governor is based purely on RPM, though fundamentally it is since the (electronic) speed sensor is just counting RPMs at the transmission output or further down the line. You could do 100 MPH in third gear if you wanted to. For the computer to read 100 MPH w/ a 31" diamter tire, 4.90 gears, and 3rd gear's 1:1 ratio, you would be turning 5310 RPM which is still (just a bit) under the redline...

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefJerky:
You read a post like Will's (started the thread) and wonder if someone like that will live long enough to realize how stupid they were. Everyone experiences being a child, not everyone makes it to old age.

My Harley Sportster has a rev limiter. Keeps you from having to worry about blowing up the motor. You can change it out of course, but engine life will most likely be shortened, because you will definitely over rev at times. And I'm not wanting to speed around, just cruise (I'm older). So, stock rev limiters such as in the X suit me just fine. The X moves my off road fun toys just fine (mountain bike, kayak) ... at posted speed limits . My mods are going into what will give me more MPH. Of course you then get into when is the payback. I haven't done the math really. If I shell out $700 and gain 4mph, it will take a while to see a return on investment. Maybe I should just take that money and buy some stocks. But, you have to weigh in the satisfaction factor. New engine sounds, tinkering with the X, etc. And if gas prices get up to $3 and beyond .....
First, I think you may be speaking of MPG instead of MPH. MPG = miles per gallon, where as MPH = miles per hour. Usually MPG is associated with fuel economy and MPH is associated with speed. wink

Second, Harleys are notorious for valve float at higher RPM, even below the rev limiter, so that alone wont keep you from blowing the motor! [Finger] (just screwing with ya)

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 01:15 PM

ProlificX, yep, I fat fingered that one. I'm shooting for MPG. Will is wanting the MPH. This thread has been all over the place.

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 02:05 PM

i flipped my geo tracker offroading once. I was 16, and it was the week of my final exams. I was offroading with some friends, going 40 mph, and I pull the hand brake and turned the wheel. WOW was that fun! Ya, I risked my life, and ya it was a CRAZY experience. EVERYTHING in my car turned into a weapon, ranging from CD's to pens. If I could do it again, I dunno. I definately wouldn't try that in the X though. I beat the crap outta that Geo though... Oh those highschool years... When I grow up I'll buy myself a Geo, and make it a offroading piece of crap!

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 02:12 PM

also, Tahoes, Silverados, Explorers, and every other kind of SUV was driving by me faster the whole.. (when i was pushing 100 on my way to boston)
so, i dont think i was breaking some SUV insurance raising pact, or i would have been going by everyone
Posted by: DocNo

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 09:14 PM

Quote:
also, Tahoes, Silverados, Explorers, and every other kind of SUV was driving by me faster the whole.. (when i was pushing 100 on my way to boston)
Yup, other idiots behavior will cancel the laws of physics :rolleyes:

Gawd I wish I was in my teen's and knew everything again....

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 09:20 PM

Quote:
so, i dont think i was breaking some SUV insurance raising pact, or i would have been going by everyone
"mommy mommy... everyone else is doing it too." [Freak]

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
I pull the hand brake and turned the wheel. WOW was that fun!
I did that a few times too in a dirt lot with my Mazda GLC. Then one day - the rear axle snapped and the rear-driver-side wheel fell off. Yes - I was 16 yrs old. [Crybaby]

Too bad there wasn't anyone to tell me that I was dumb - or else I may have skipped that and saved myself the headache of fixing my axle.

Re: Highway trouble - 20/10/04 09:39 PM

lol, my mom told me I was dumb! Cause I had to call her to get my ass out of a forbidden area. Also when we left their were huge trucks (the ones with their engines the size of our X's) moving crap around, and they really wanted to puch my Geo outta the way.

Re: Highway trouble - 21/10/04 02:31 PM

Im willing to bet that Mommy and Daddy bought the X for you. Go ahead, drive like a madman in the X, you probably wont see your 18th birthday. But what do I know. You cant tell a 17yr old anything, they know it all.

Re: Highway trouble - 21/10/04 03:00 PM

Quote:
No offence man, if you are 17 then you should definately not be driving such a heavy SUV at 100 mph.

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 06:26 AM

Quote:
Im willing to bet that Mommy and Daddy bought the X for you. Go ahead, drive like a madman in the X, you probably wont see your 18th birthday. But what do I know. You cant tell a 17yr old anything, they know it all.
Oh Dave, you're willing to bet that momomy and daddy bought me that X? Well I don't give a flying fuck. I did work 2 summer indeed, want a reference you cunt?

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 07:10 AM

Mr. WILL-What's with all the hostility my man? Chill out for sec and realize the members here are jus trying to help you out some. You sure do like to swear a lot too. Remeber you joined this board we did not go out and recruit YOU cause you are special or something. Relax and take it in stride. You already said you were wrong so drop it.

Not that reading about how you know everything isn't funny or anything. [Finger]
Posted by: John Doe

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 07:13 AM

This thread reminds me of this saying:

"A young man says an old man's a fool, but an old man knows a young man's a fool."

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 07:18 AM

Hey big Willy-
So do you still have this "job" or is mommy and daddy now paying for this vehicle of yours?

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 08:07 AM

Hey Will...

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 11:38 AM

2 summers at a job to buy a new X. Good job for a kid.

Will, thanks for driving insurance rates up on teens so I can struggle covering my son when he turns 16 next year.

Driving 100+ on roads back east....I can't fathom it. My speed governor kicks in at 92mph in my 2002 Xterra. That was on a long stretch of straight deserted Arizona highway. Once.

Next time you go somewhere, time yourself - once driving like a maniac, and once again driving normally and within speed limits. You'll likely find you didn't save that much time and the lives you risked really aren't worth that 15 minutes you saved.

I won't jump all over you...enough other people already did that. I'm just telling you that as a young driver, you need to think about what could be the consequences of your actions. I had a couple bad wrecks when I was your age. It took that to put some sense into me. Hopefully you take this constructively and don't make a mistake you'll regret or one that gets you or someone else killed first before you realize that 100 mph in a boxy SUV is a stupid idea.

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 01:10 PM

What I think is funny is that almost everyone who's bitching at me says they had accidents at my age. So on the one hand i think, you guys are right, which you are and i already admitted that (but for some reason i keep getting shit), but on the other hand so far my driving record at 17, is better than most of yours at my age. I'm reading a lot about accidents at 16.

By the way, I wasn't originally the hostile one lol, look at the very beginning of this topic.

And again, I have admitted I was wrong lol, but don't fucking tell me that I didn't work my ass off for this car. No I don't have this job anymore because now I have to work my ass off to get into college.

My parents gave my $2,000 towards the car. The other 26 i earned by working at the fucking dump in my town at $14.25 and hour 6 days a week for 2 summers straight.

I can listen to the critisizm about the fast driving, but anyone who brings up "moomy and daddy" again can go fuck themselves as I've already said.

I drove a fucking used mercury tracer (with 46, ooo miles on it) for a year before I got this truck.

And at this point, it seems like I'm acting the most mature in a room full people older than me.

Don't remember who posted the thing about their son's insurance, but if you put him on your insurance, and then have him take the 6 hour defensive driving course it lowers the insurance a huge amount.

And, honestly I gave up on this forum awhile ago, but apparently some of you guys have such lame lives that the most eventuful thing you can is bitch at a 17 year old. peace

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 01:23 PM

You didn't make $26,000 working 2 summers.

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 01:30 PM

with added interest from the bank i did

Re: Highway trouble - 22/10/04 09:08 PM

Quote:
with added interest from the bank i did
lets do the math
lets say there are 11 weeks in the summer vacation, 11x6=66
ok, now an average work day is 8 hrs so 66x8=528
so now we do 528x14.25=7524
you did that for 2 summers so we do 7524x2=15048
you made $15048 net after 2 summers
now we factor in insurance, you would need to get a good 65% interest rate to come up with the extra cash, i do't know about you but i get like 1%, so lets do the math for that.
15048x1.01= $15198.48 minus the cost for insurance on your old car, taxes, and the old car itself, and whatever other little stuff you bought

so no you didn'nt

ok now that we got that out of the way.
I am 16 and got my liscence in december, since then i have been in 2 accidents, one of them major.
the major one was a rollover at 60mph in the backseat of a 98 mercury moutaineer at 12:30AM, noone was hut but it was still not fun and the -40 degree weather did not help.
the other one was just my buddy hitting a deer in his minivan.
Now I drive a 1984 Buick LeSabre (with 225,000miles on it) and the only reason i have that is because my grandfather passed away, and none of my other relatives wanted it. and i am not bitching about the car because it is MY car. my mom has the x and she lets me take it wheeling sometimes, and i have a blast doing it. but whenever i drive the x i don't want to roll again so i drive at the speed limit when i can but i live in the boonies, so all the roads are shitty, the result is that i drive under the speed limit most of the time and still feel like i am going fast. and i have driven to west virginia 3 times in the x since i got my liscence and have gone through connecticut and i have seen maybee 3 SUVs doing a good 90MPH, and i say "dumbass" whenever they pass me.

so all i want to say to all the smartass rich kids who's mommies and daddies bought them a nice vehicles and all they want to do is go treat them like what they arent is "shut up and fuck you"

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 02:09 AM

try 14 weeks a summer, 2x, 10 hours on weekedays, 8 on saturdays, with 1.9%, then add $2,000 from my parents, and one thousand or so from xmas, birthdays, easter, whatever the fuck

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 02:10 AM

also the old car was my mom's, so i didnt have to pay insurance on it

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 02:11 AM

and since you've had 2 accidents in less than a year, shut the fuck up

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 08:02 AM

i wasn't driving in either, in the moutaineer i was in the backseat as i said before, and the deer i was in the passenger seat

dumbass

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 08:03 AM

insurance follows the driver, not the car
Posted by: Ramness

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 08:36 AM

Quote:

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 08:36 AM

Quote:

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah he said he was in the back seat... kinda hard to be driving from the backseat... unless you were doing something really stupid!

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 08:46 AM

Dude, the only reason you have the X is because your parents pay for everything else in your life, which gives you the opportunity to buy the X. either way you look at it, your parents are RESPONSIBLE for you having the X. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, you worked hard... you got it, good for you. I am in a similar boat, although I wish I was 17 when I got mine... wait, no I don’t, cause then it would be older... and have more scratches, dents and damage... but anyway, I wouldn’t call you spoiled, just lucky, and your parents did help, so don’t deny it.

And on topic, speed kills… don’t do it. Also its too expensive to speed, more gas and more tickets.

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 09:17 AM

Quote:
I drove to Boston this weekend
whats a rich kid from New York doing in Boston?
where did you sit Will?
i dunno but i could be wrong, just a hunch

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 09:22 AM

so which do you want will, wheel or rice?

clicky

i say troll

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 09:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Will Antoniou:
I never said that I do it on a regular basis, I was in connecticut where the speed limit was higher, so I said WTF, I might as well try it.

dumbass, so the speed limit is what? 5 or 10 miles over new yorks. grow up

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 10:32 AM

My parents pay for everything else like what? my groceries ? my clothes? yes they do. lol I still live with them

My father lives in Boston you prick, I live with my mother and step father.

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 10:34 AM

i also wasnt insured to drive my mom's car. Bad choice, but I need a car to get TO WORK.

Xtra_Blue or whatever the fuck, even though you're a prick i'm also a sox fan.
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 10:34 AM

Quote:
#$%^%&^$#@!!!!!
Why are you still debating this?

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 10:36 AM

good point, this went from a question about driving too fast (WHICH I HAVE ADMITTED MANY FUCKING TIMES WAS A BAD IDEA), to critisizing the facts that my parents by me things. jesus christ.

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 11:09 AM

Quote:
My father lives in Boston you prick, I live with my mother and step father.[/QB]
sorry dude, i am in the same boat with you on that issue

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 11:22 AM

Quote:
[QB]need a car to get TO WORK.QB]
no one needs a car. i rode my bicycle 10 miles to and from work everyday last summer and kept doing it after school started, i rode in the snow too. worked just fine, was cheaper, and kept me in shape.

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 12:33 PM

Quote:
What I think is funny is that almost everyone who's bitching at me says they had accidents at my age. So on the one hand i think, you guys are right, which you are and i already admitted that (but for some reason i keep getting shit), but on the other hand so far my driving record at 17, is better than most of yours at my age. I'm reading a lot about accidents at 16.
Would you rather learn from other peoples' mistakes or make your own? It's your choice.

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 03:28 PM

i have never witnessed someone say "lol" so much along with swear words... am i the only one that thinks thats strange? [Freak]

Re: Highway trouble - 23/10/04 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
i have never witnessed someone say "lol" so much along with swear words... am i the only one that thinks thats strange? [Freak]
no shit, lol. [Spit]

Re: Highway trouble - 24/10/04 04:08 AM

I was in the booth at the entrance. There is no "phone answering" job. I also helped move shit out of the "Home Furnishings" area, which is where people put shit from their house that they don't want but is still ok to use.

Although I already knew the laws, I started the job when I was 16, did it one summer, then this recent summer, while I was 17. So you shitty little site about labor laws doesn't disprove me in any way.

Taxes were taken out of my pay check every week.

Do the math shithead.

Also, many kids where I live work the same amount or more. It's a small town, there are a lot of people living in "The Fabulous Hamptons" that aren't rich. You should know what you're talking about before you open you're mouth.

Re: Highway trouble - 24/10/04 08:44 AM

Quote:
You should know what you're talking about before you open you're mouth.
start listening to your own advise.

Re: Highway trouble - 24/10/04 11:34 AM

Hey Asshat (lol), do yourself a favor and delete this thread. Left click on this- at the top of your original post. Then check the "delete post" box and punch edit again at the bottom. Everyone posts something once every so often they might wish they hadn't.... No sense in leaving a crumbtrail to Dumbassalonia for everyone to see wink

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 09:14 AM

I don't get what everybody's problem is. I find it hard to believe that this kid is on here and all you guys ream him for him having an SUV that it took you thirty years to get rather than his 16. Some people are more fortunate that's the facts of life my friends. He came here with a simple question, answer it or don't that easy. Attacking someone is the worst way to try and get any message across. Either that or attacking is your guys' way of making yourselves feel better about the insignificance you feel in your own lives. My .02

"It is never wise to seek or wish for another's misfortune. If malice or envy were tangible and had a shape, it would be the shape of a boomerang."

-Charley Reese

I found this rather fitting

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 09:34 AM

Quote:
"It is never wise to seek or wish for another's misfortune. If malice or envy were tangible and had a shape, it would be the shape of a boomerang."

-Charley Reese

I found this rather fitting[/QB]
An online forum argument is like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

I find that more fitting laugh

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 09:46 AM

I'm 20 and I know better than driving 100 with other people passing me. I go around 80-85 in the butt crack of dawn wit no one else on the road. When I was 16 I didnt drive 100 because Im not stupid. Ill be 40 and not drive 100 because I wont be stupid. Maybe when I hit my mid life crisis and buy some fancy sports car, but not in a suv you tard, how can you agrue these people. Your some 16 year old punk kid who has his whole life bought for him. I started working when I was 14 to buy my first car. I'm 20 now and I own an xterra not because mommy and daddy bought it for me, i have it because i never had $600 dollar speedin tickets and i work my ass off. Wait till your parents can give you any money you will see why its bad to drive at 100. I bet you wear abercrombie and bitch

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoMo617:
I bet you wear abercrombie and bitch
[Laughing]

But seriously Will, don't get us wrong we don't care if you drive fast in your X. Just do it at a time/place where you will only kill yourself and not us, it's the humane thing to do. It was'nt made to do high speed jaunts and if you intend to use it for that well, you just made a bad choice of SUV's. Hey but if you get bored driving fast you can always move on to "car tricks" :rolleyes:

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/3828309/detail.html

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 11:57 AM

Oh let this die already, or at least move it to the ALR...

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 03:19 PM

Yeah the guy admitted it was stupid on page 1 I think and all of you high and mighty keep bringing it back up.

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 04:06 PM

This is even stupider

Bad pic but that is a motorcycle going 160. [Wave]

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 08:14 PM

160 on a motorcycle is nothin. Check out http://www.uponone.com If you look around in there, there are a ton of videos of kids (some are adults = overgrown kids) doing a variety of stunts. Check out the guys on the Turbocharged Hayabusa motorcycles where they are breaking 210 in no time flat http://www.uponone.com/videos.php?id=2101 , and doing it on public highways. Real bright....
Posted by: Southernx7

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 08:55 PM

eek

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 10:28 PM

Well I was just trying to change the subject so the same posts about why a 17 year old shouldnt drive 100 would stop.
Anyway its easy to find video or pics on the web about people doing stuff thats stupid, and no 160 aint nothin, until YOU actually do it.

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 10:44 PM

It just takes one almost life-ending accident to wipe that "I am 17 and invincible" attitude off their smart face.

I was driving 85 in a 45 and a drunk driver swirved into my lane and hit my Ford head on. I flipped the truck about 3 times, and was hanging out my passenger window by the time it was over.

My fault or not, I will never speed again after something like that.

Re: Highway trouble - 25/10/04 11:23 PM

See you caused a drunk driver to have an accident! If you would have been going the speed limit you wouldnt have been near him at that time. [Too much XOC]

Re: Highway trouble - 26/10/04 12:58 PM

EVERYBODY SHUT THE HELL UP!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THIS IS ON PAGE 7 AND EVERYBODY FEELS THE NEED TO POST THEIR "LIFE CHANGING ARGUMENT/STORY". JUST LEAVE THE KID FUCKING ALONE

PEOPLE WILL DO WHAT THE HELL THEY FEEL LIKE WHENEVER THE HELL THEY FEEL LIKE IT. IF THE KID WANTS TO DRIVE 100 THEN HE WILL AND THEIR IS NOTHING YOU GUYS CAN DO ABOUT EXCEPT WHINE.

I can't believe that I come to this "respectable" site everyday hoping to find some wisdom, and enlightinment, when all I find is some people whining, and talking and not shuting the fuck up. Not everybody in the world realizes the risks that they take in the actions they take, and just because they don't see it from your point of view doesn't make you obligated to show them your point of view. The reason this kid came to this site was to find some information. If you don't have the information that he is looking for than SHUT THE FUCK UP.

For example: If I go to a library and try to find a book on "how to make explosives" I don't want some jackass to jump in my way giving me their opinion about how explosives affects lives, or their own personal experience on "well I had a firecracker once, and I tell ya that stuff is just plainly unsafe". I CAME TO LIBRARY TO FIND A BOOK (INFORMATION) AND ONLY TO FIND A BOOK, SO IF YOU CAN'T HELP ME THAN I DON'T CARE.

For those of you who tried to change the subject kudos, and thankyou for making a "waste of time" thread turn into a "doesn't matter anymore" thread.

But everybody else that feels obligated to tell their "story", in hopes that it will change the kids mind. Simply just click Back several times and don't come back to this thread, because everybody here is wasting their time.

Sorry for my misspellings, I'm in a hurry.

Re: Highway trouble - 26/10/04 01:11 PM

"Uhhh, uh uh, settle down, Beavis."

Re: Highway trouble - 26/10/04 01:44 PM

someone needs a nap [Huh?]

Re: Highway trouble - 26/10/04 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DoMo617:
I bet you wear abercrombie and bitch
[LOL]

bump.
[Spit]

Re: Highway trouble - 27/10/04 09:59 AM

ya, I was mad at other stuff, kinda vented on this site. Sorry

Re: Highway trouble - 29/10/04 11:50 AM

Perhaps with a lift kit and some whoppin' oversize tires the kid could hit a buck ten??

Re: Highway trouble - 29/10/04 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
For example: If I go to a library and try to find a book on "how to make explosives" I don't want some jackass to jump in my way giving me their opinion about how explosives affects lives, or their own personal experience on "well I had a firecracker once, and I tell ya that stuff is just plainly unsafe". I CAME TO LIBRARY TO FIND A BOOK (INFORMATION) AND ONLY TO FIND A BOOK, SO IF YOU CAN'T HELP ME THAN I DON'T CARE.
Sombody said this exact thing on this site before. [Huh?]

Re: Highway trouble - 31/10/04 08:46 AM

Thought I'd add my $0.02.

Okay, I worked as an EMT in the UK for 4 years, you name it I've seen it. The worst accidents we delt with were high speed loss of control.

Next time you hit 100 in your X. Think of your family who have to come and identify your mangled body when they pull you piece by piece out of the remains of your blood soaked X.

If you are lucky enough to survive the impact of whatever you hit. Try thinking about the pain you will be in while the EMT's try to keep you alive long enough to pull your ass out of the mangled wreckage. I've had people beg me to kill them when their legs are so badly mangled by the engine on their lap that we had to cut them off to pull them free of the vehicle. You'd be surprised how many people do not lose conciousness.

Worst case scenario. You walk away yourself unscathed while you watch on while the family of 4s lefeless mangled remains are pulled from the Family sedan you hit. You then have to live with their death on your hands the rest of your life.

For everyone who has got on this kids case, thank you. If you've never done the same thing yourself at one point in your life with your own car (Not necessarily your X) - Bullshit, we've all done it. Just don't do it again! smile

Re: Highway trouble - 31/10/04 11:25 AM

never did it in a car.. did it on a ninja tho.. talk about dust buster clean up of body parts..