Burning Out

Posted by: Anonymous

Burning Out - 01/05/06 08:16 PM

can anyone do a burnout in there X...

everytime i try to do it...my SLIP comes on..
do i need to turn off the VDC>..or wat...

i push the brake and then tap the gas...

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 08:34 PM

I certainly think the X would be capable... though maybe not with an auto tranny... hell, my Dakota could do it (3.6L 5-speed)...

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 08:36 PM

"do i need to turn off the VDC"

Probably - wanna try and report back? wink
However, even with VDC off, your ABLS will still kick in and maintain traction most likely.
Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 08:41 PM

turn the VDC off hold brake hit gass and u can do a small burnout. Something kicks in though and stoops it wants u pass first gear
Posted by: bluztraveler

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 08:46 PM

X's can do "brakestands" where you lightly apply the brakes and roll onto the throttle. Kindda like linelock on a dragster,it locks the front tiers so the racer can spine the rear tires.
FYI the X is NOT a dragster, but its kool to light em up!

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 08:47 PM

"Something kicks in though and stoops it wants u pass first gear"

Hey Chia, could you try that again in English?
(sorry, couldn't resist...)
Posted by: RJ

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 09:07 PM

Even my 3.3 can do a standing burnout, which really doesn't need much power btw. I believe most stock vehicles have brake bias of 85% f to 15% rear or so.

With my hunbs unlocked and transfer case in 4-lo, burnouts are such a piece of cake laugh
Posted by: Paco Pico

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 09:26 PM

2005 and up have CAN-bus controlled throttle, the computer stops you from applying full power in a transmission range with the brakes applied.

Call it: Damage control!

Re: Burning Out - 01/05/06 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco Pico:
Call it: Damage control!
[ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown] [ThumbsDown]

Hate nannies. If I feel like getting a new set of rear pads/shoes, then it's none of my ECU's business.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RJ:
Even my 3.3 can do a standing burnout, which really doesn't need much power btw. I believe most stock vehicles have brake bias of 85% f to 15% rear or so.

With my hunbs unlocked and transfer case in 4-lo, burnouts are such a piece of cake laugh
Wow.. you must have a stick shift. I'd have to park on oil to do a burnout shocked

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 08:15 AM

My NA 3.3 on 33's and stock 4.636 gearing can light up the BFG M/T's w/o any more effort than just hitting the gas... I learned that after installing headers. Don't know real #'s, but I know I couldn't spin 'em easily (if at all) before.

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 11:17 AM

It's better to burn out than to fade away [Smoking]

Ohh, you guys are talking about tires. My bad.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 11:56 AM

Porsche996, you fail to mention you have a Frontier. You can light up the tires on most any pickup.

Anyone care to move this to the performance section?
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 12:26 PM

I don't think I've ever even tried to do a burnout in the Xterra. For that matter, I don't remember trying it on any car since I passed the age of about 20! But then I never was interested in lighting up my tires... always preferred going fast through corners and stuff! laugh

RJ, I hope you're kidding about doing burnouts in 2WD with low range engaged! eek My understanding is it is not good to drive in low range in 2WD, so I can't imagine it would be any healthier to do burnouts. You're doubling your the torque to just the rear when you do that!

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
RJ, I hope you're kidding about doing burnouts in 2WD with low range engaged! eek My understanding is it is not good to drive in low range in 2WD, so I can't imagine it would be any healthier to do burnouts. You're doubling your the torque to just the rear when you do that!
Theoretically, yes, 2-Lo has the potential to send double the torque and damage the axle.

But just think, no matter what, your torque here is limited by your traction. As long as you're just doing a burnout, I can put a 4:1 transfer case in 2Lo and still be safe.

Now if my rear tires are caught on something, like between rocks, or if I have drag slicks on, then we're talking snapped shafts and stripped ring gears.
Posted by: Smith

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Porsche996, you fail to mention you have a Frontier. You can light up the tires on most any pickup.

Anyone care to move this to the performance section?
Fuck no!
Only because my powers are weak in this section. :p

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 01:11 PM

How can you do a 2-Lo burnout? I tried once and you just can't generate enough RPMs at the tires to make 'em smoke worth a darn. We were at the big smoldering split in the old highway at Centralia, PA after ECXC last year and I was going for the "my tires are smoking from the hot pavement" shot.
Posted by: Smith

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 01:27 PM

Quote:
I was going for the "my tires are smoking from the hot pavement" shot.
Should have just started your chainsaw and hid it behind your tires to get the smoke effect. smile

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 01:31 PM

Quote:
How can you do a 2-Lo burnout? I tried once and you just can't generate enough RPMs at the tires to make 'em smoke worth a darn. We were at the big smoldering split in the old highway at Centralia, PA after ECXC last year and I was going for the "my tires are smoking from the hot pavement" shot.
yea, i was up there a few weeks ago. that pavement actually was hot, but it was also pretty cold out.
ive tried to chirp the tires, but i could only really spin them if i hit a puddle and stop and pull away. i wouldnt be doing it to much, my truck is in the shop right now for the 3rd torque converter,2nd one this year. im not sure how it keeps going, but im not hard on it. just watch out cause it cost me $2k to have mine rebuilt. now i have a warrantee for 2 yrs/24k miles.

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 02:05 PM

Quote:
How can you do a 2-Lo burnout? I tried once and you just can't generate enough RPMs at the tires to make 'em smoke worth a darn.
Are you talking about a standing burnout or a rolling one? For the rolling one, it's not gonna happen with any x (even 2nd gen) - not enough power.

For standing burnouts, you're simply relying on the front brake bias to help you. The lower the gearing the better (well, up to a point), especially if you're using a stick-shift.

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
i wouldnt be doing it to much, my truck is in the shop right now for the 3rd torque converter,2nd one this year. im not sure how it keeps going, but im not hard on it. just watch out cause it cost me $2k to have mine rebuilt. now i have a warrantee for 2 yrs/24k miles.
A proper burnout does not hurt the TC too much; your RPMs should be high enough anyway that your converter is locked. It IS hard on the rear shoes/pads and tires.

Damn, with all this burnout talk I feel like the official XOC ricer or something. laugh

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 02:44 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about a standing burnout or a rolling one? For the rolling one, it's not gonna happen with any x (even 2nd gen) - not enough power.
There is plenty of power to do a *rolling* burnout when you have it in 2wd. I can do it without a problem in my gen1.

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Polak:
Quote:
There is plenty of power to do a *rolling* burnout when you have it in 2wd. I can do it without a problem in my gen1.
In 2 LO you can do a rolling burnout in your Gen 1?

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 04:07 PM

2wd = 2 wheel drive = 2HI ... I'm not sure what 2LO is since I think I only have 2Hi N 4Hi 4Lo smile

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 05:04 PM

Rolling burnout in 1st Gen on dry pavement? Good luck...

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 06:33 PM

with my awful Grabbers, i can floor it from stop and chirp the tires easily, sometimes spinning them, but never anything crazy

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 07:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, this is just getting confusing. I don't mean rolling by one foot on the brake, kinda of crawling with the rear spinning.

What I'm saying is simply launching off and lay down 50 feet of rubber, 600 hp KB Cobra style.

Re: Burning Out - 02/05/06 07:46 PM

Quote:
2wd = 2 wheel drive = 2HI ... I'm not sure what 2LO is since I think I only have 2Hi N 4Hi 4Lo smile
2Lo is 4Lo with front hubs unlocked (you'll need warn hubs).

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 09:39 AM

I was trying to do a 2-Lo brake-stand and all I succeeded in doing was making a nice little pile of Swamper shreddings but no smoke. The RPMs just weren't there.

As for the torque converter, I dunno, but a couple of sustained brake-stands was all it took to send the tranny fluid temp past 200 degrees. Not something to make a habit of, that's for sure.

Oh, and Smith, I don't own a chainsaw, and never have. [Finger]

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 12:35 PM

Do you have 4.0 gearing or something Brent? Or are the Swampers that much different from all-season tires?

I can get smoke out of my tires in 2-Lo if I hold it for about 5 seconds. I don't bother in 2-Hi - too much strain on the transmission (have to go full throttle).

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 01:10 PM

Stock t-case gears, 4.90 diff gears.
I have no problem making the rears sing in a 2Hi brake-stand, but I haven't been rambunctious enough to do it long enough to smoke 'em yet.

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 06:45 PM

personally i think the 05's are better at it cause they have all the power in the back if you have 2WD i got new exhaust and a new filter and i can drift like if i was in a car now its really amazing on how much K & N filters can do

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dro:
personally i think the 05's are better at it cause they have all the power in the back if you have 2WD i got new exhaust and a new filter and i can drift like if i was in a car now its really amazing on how much K & N filters can do
Uh, ok. Your post displays the intelligence of a 10 year old.

So you put a filter and you can "drift like if i was in a car"? The hell does that mean?

By the way, filters don't do shit to Xterras. This ain't an LS1 here.

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 09:59 PM

I got an idea...why don't you put it in neutral, rev it up to about 5 grand, and then shift into drive?
[Finger]

Personally, I'll keep my tires in good shape. I own a 240SX for a reason!

Re: Burning Out - 03/05/06 10:07 PM

Look who's back? It's the the my X went 140mph and did 0-60 in 4 sec kid. [LOL]

Hey Dro where is that video you promised everyone here? So now you're drifting the X huh...can't wait to see the video of your rollover. Remember this?
your post

Re: Burning Out - 04/05/06 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dro:
personally i think the 05's are better at it cause they have all the power in the back if you have 2WD...
Thank you captain obvious for pointing out that the 2nd Gen Xterras have more power...
redorange makes a good point, [Save the fine unicorns] [Rainbow]

Re: Burning Out - 04/05/06 04:09 PM

dro you are an idiot, all of the X's have 2wd because you must shift them into 4wd, its not full time. good work moron

Re: Burning Out - 05/05/06 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redorange:
Look who's back? It's the the my X went 140mph and did 0-60 in 4 sec kid. [LOL]
So that's who it was. I knew that dumbass voice sounds familiar! [LOL]

Re: Burning Out - 05/05/06 03:06 PM

HECK YEA

well i have an 04 s/c but i just push on the brake then push on the gas and the disc will over power the drums in the rear...works for me

Re: Burning Out - 06/05/06 05:54 AM

That's the "brake stand" we were referring to.

Re: Burning Out - 07/05/06 07:45 PM

guys you missed the fact that he had a 4x2 Offroad SE... it makes the difference. lol

anyways, i can do brakes stands easly and i have done a few power slides on wet roads. its fun stuff smile

Re: Burning Out - 08/05/06 04:55 AM

hey dro, welcome back from planet retard!

so do we have any takers for a ka24 burnout? or are we all VG's? i would think the ka would have a little trouble breaking them loose (especially in an X)