Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA

Posted by: Bogdan

Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 13/06/05 11:42 PM

Vote at this web site :
http://www.petitiononline.com/Xterra/petition.html

To: Nissan USA
The goal of this petition is to request the importation or the release of a diesel version of the Xterra SUV of all years. A diesel version motor 2.8 turbo diesel 132 hp is already available in Brazil and we want it here in USA also. We encourage all the Xterra owners , future owners and fans to fill this petition.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 05:04 AM

Excellent idea!

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 05:19 AM

Why on earth would you want 132hp? If I were looking for a diesel I would want more than 132hp.
Posted by: spalind

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 05:38 AM

I voted for it!! If for no other reason than to get the cool hood they have and actually have the scoop be useful!!
Posted by: Lincoln

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave D:
Why on earth would you want 132hp? If I were looking for a diesel I would want more than 132hp.
Just because it has 132 HP, doesn't make it weak. Diesel engines make up for weak HP numbers in their torque.
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 06:42 AM

Signed.. wink
Posted by: Axle

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave D:
The diesel engines we have in our miltary hummers is only rated at 150hp and they haul around up to 10,000 lbs on the truck itself plus a trailer. Just imaging what 132hp diesel could do in a truck that weighs half of that.

Axle

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 07:16 AM

Done

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 07:31 AM

show me one single petition from petitiononline.com, that's actually changed anything. And then I'll go sign the silly thing...

It's a waste of time. Nissan isn't in a hurry to bring a diesel here; nomoreso than any other manufacturer? Why? 'Cause the public perception is horrible (thanks GM...), and our diesel emissions rules mean they have to design/build an entirely new engine, to meet it. Nissan's too small of a company, to build a seperate engine for such a small niche market. Cry all you want; it's just not gonna' happen anytime soon.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
show me one single petition from petitiononline.com, that's actually changed anything. And then I'll go sign the silly thing...

It's a waste of time. Nissan isn't in a hurry to bring a diesel here; nomoreso than any other manufacturer? Why? 'Cause the public perception is horrible (thanks GM...), and our diesel emissions rules mean they have to design/build an entirely new engine, to meet it. Nissan's too small of a company, to build a seperate engine for such a small niche market. Cry all you want; it's just not gonna' happen anytime soon.
Jeep did it, and I (almost) love them for it.

160hp, 300 ft/lbs of torque and 27 mpg on the highway....and lower CO2 emissions. 300 ft/lbs!!- imagine that crawling rocks.

No one here can even pretend to know what will happen in the next few years...perhaps hybrids will keep booming, perhaps fuel cells, perhaps diesels.

A few years back people thought hybrids took three days to get to 60mph, were tinny little two seaters with bicycle wheels, but look at the new civics and accords- they rival the gas only powered models with 50% better mph numbers.

If Nissan, or anyone else thinks people are going to keep putting up with 15 mpg they are seriously mistaken. Just look at GM's numbers. Sure the bulid quality is a factor, but if Jeep were to put the diesel in a Wrangler...that would be a great vehicle....and it would certainly sway me in that direction.

Just look at the posts here in the last couple of months- the #1 reason people sell X's is the gas milage. I think we are going to see a lot more diesels cropping up, and it would be great if Nissan looked in that direction.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XPatriot:
Just look at the posts here in the last couple of months- the #1 reason people sell X's is the gas milage. I think we are going to see a lot more diesels cropping up, and it would be great if Nissan looked in that direction.
Not that I'm arguing w/ you. I would absolutely love a diesel engine.

But, to play devil's advocate... You need to look back more than just a couple months; the #1 complaint about the Xterra, Frontier, Titan, Armada, and Pathfinder, is gas mileage. And it always has been. This isn't anything new on the Nissan front. The VP of Nissan North America was even quoted, back before the current gen. of Frontier & Xterra's came out, when bluntly asked about fuel economy, that it was NOT a concern in their design. They were concerned about power, for their engine. That's all.

That alone says Nissan, currently, couldn't give a rats ass about fuel economy. And who can blame them? They're hitting all-time sales highs, right now. And that's w/ their shibby gas mileage in darn near every vehicle they make.

I've wanted a diesel for years. I just don't think an online petition is going to make one rats ass-hair of a difference.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 09:43 AM

Quote:

Nissan is bringing the Diesel to the Titan in the next year or so, why not the Xterra???

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 09:50 AM

SIGNED!!!!!!!!! Sometimes You just need more torque to turn tires in the mud....

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 10:47 AM

A co-worker just came back from Finland. His rental mini-wan while there had a diesel engine and a manual transmission. That almost makes the mini-van cool. Diesel are a lot more popular outside of North America.

Diesel gets my vote, but I will never run out and buy a Libby.
Posted by: Xterra Kid 2003

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 11:23 AM

I dont know about everywhere else but right now diesel is running about $2.50 gal and regular unleaded is about $2.08. Kinda negates buying a diesel to save on fuel costs. I'm still signing the patition though.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterra Kid 2003:
I dont know about everywhere else but right now diesel is running about $2.50 gal and regular unleaded is about $2.08. Kinda negates buying a diesel to save on fuel costs. I'm still signing the patition though.
Not really, because you can run Diesels on Bio-Diesel or straight filtered Waste Vegatable oil (which is free).

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
Quote:
[b]I dont know about everywhere else but right now diesel is running about $2.50 gal and regular unleaded is about $2.08. Kinda negates buying a diesel to save on fuel costs. I'm still signing the patition though.
Not really, because you can run Diesels on Bio-Diesel or straight filtered Waste Vegatable oil (which is free).[/b]
say bye bye to your warrentty if you do that!

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by switchinggears:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]I dont know about everywhere else but right now diesel is running about $2.50 gal and regular unleaded is about $2.08. Kinda negates buying a diesel to save on fuel costs. I'm still signing the patition though.
Not really, because you can run Diesels on Bio-Diesel or straight filtered Waste Vegatable oil (which is free).[/b]
say bye bye to your warrentty if you do that![/b]
True, just wait till your warranty is gone...or take the risk.

My dad has been doing it for 40,000 miles on a 1997 Passat and has had no problems.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 02:23 PM

Diesal will make up their hp with a crap loud of torque, BUt 132 hp seems low, how about 180 to 220 hp diesal engine, that sounds more resonable, and are u sure Military hummers use 150 hp engines, that sounds weak. smile
Posted by: Axle

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrarob04:
Diesal will make up their hp with a crap loud of torque, BUt 132 hp seems low, how about 180 to 220 hp diesal engine, that sounds more resonable, and are u sure Military hummers use 150 hp engines, that sounds weak. smile
Positive. I looked it up in the manual the other day. Don't know about the new generation hummers as I've never seen one but I hear they have a turbocharged diesel in them. The old powerplants though are detuned 5.2 and 5.6 NA diesels that are rated at 150 and 160 hp respectively.

Axle

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 04:25 PM

Signed. Would have been a great thing.
Posted by: RJ

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XPatriot:
Jeep did it, and I (almost) love them for it.

160hp, 300 ft/lbs of torque and 27 mpg on the highway....and lower CO2 emissions. 300 ft/lbs!!- imagine that crawling rocks.
Now why don't Jeep actually put it into something that's good at crawling? Imagine a diesel Rubicon!
Posted by: RJ

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrarob04:
Think of diesel hp as "continous hp" versus a gasoline's "max hp".

You can work a diesel near its max hp and still last a decade. That's why they feel fast, because you're using more of the available power during normal driving (via high torque, low rpm).

When driving around our X at 2000 to 3000 rpm, we're making no more than 100 hp or so. The diesel will probably make its full 132 hp by 3000 rpm.
Posted by: Xorand

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 14/06/05 09:53 PM

Quote:
Not to mention the requirements for diesel fuel to contain 15 ppm sulphur starting June 1, 2006, compared to today's standard of 500 ppm. Wait 'til you see how much more diesel costs than gasoline then.

Granted, I'd love a diesel, too. Torque rules off-road. But, by next year's low-sulphur standards, diesel will cost almost 50% more than gasoline.

Makes me glad I decided on an Xterra rather than an F-350 a couple years ago. laugh

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 15/06/05 04:46 PM

Quote:
]Not really, because you can run Diesels on Bio-Diesel or straight filtered Waste Vegatable oil (which is free).[/QB]
biodiesel which in my area is over 3.00/gal......

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 16/06/05 08:42 AM

I work at an airport and some of the guys here at work take jet fuel (which is a diesel/kero. mix.) home to their farms and use it in their diesel tractors and farm trucks(i guess its a close mixture to dyed "offroad" diesel). so you could probably run a mixture like that (if you can get the percentages right) and save some money. im not sure how it would effect the motor in the long run tho.
Posted by: datz510

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 16/06/05 10:00 AM

I wouldnt worry about the 130hp rating on a diesel engine. If its a turbodiesel, you can gain anywhere from 50-100% power output just by installing a chip.. Diesels are a whole different animal to what most people are used to, because the power output is directly proportional to how much fuel (and air) you dump into it. Since diesel engines operate on a variable mixture ratio rather than stoichiometric (14.7:1 for gas engines), it makes it a whole lot easier to make gobs of power just by adding more fuel to the fire.

So, dont fret the power ratings.. chances are it'll blow away what you are driving now, right off the lot. Add a few simple performance upgrades and it'd be a monster making 2-3x the power output of your current engine.

For example, the 7.3L turbodiesel in my Ford F250 is rated for 225hp and about 490ftlb of torque. A $300 chip is all it takes to bump that up to ~320hp and ~700ftlb. Thats enough power to motivate my 4 ton (8,000+lb) truck from 0-60 in about 7-8 seconds, yet it gets 17-18mpg on the road. Try that with a gas engine!

smile

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 16/06/05 11:41 AM

The other vehicle I was looking at before I bought my 2005 4x4 S was the Ram 2500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel (610 ftlbs and about 350hp). The engine is sweet.

Put a scaled down version of that engine in the XT, and I couldn't be happier.

-z

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 21/06/05 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by datz510:
For example, the 7.3L turbodiesel in my Ford F250 is rated for 225hp and about 490ftlb of torque. A $300 chip is all it takes to bump that up to ~320hp and ~700ftlb. Thats enough power to motivate my 4 ton (8,000+lb) truck from 0-60 in about 7-8 seconds, yet it gets 17-18mpg on the road. Try that with a gas engine!

smile
ditto, that's what i just got out of and it was rigged almost the exact same same way (BUT, the truck is only 6k {mine was a 4x4, 4dr, short box}. even the low won't push it much faster top end than now but the low end is STOUT. and upgrades are easy for power. just dump more fuel and air into it and get it out quicker. little adjusment on timing.

highway+headwind = no problem
highway+headwind+a/c = no problem
sluggish power and gear hunting w/ bigger tires and stock gears = no problem.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 21/06/05 06:40 PM

i know there is one in the last model but do they currently sell the 05 in a diesel somewhere ??

and more importantly, can it be brought over?

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 27/06/05 08:00 AM

I have insider info that they are doing gasket testing on a diesel engine for the Frontier right now
Posted by: poe67

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 06:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by switchinggears:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
say bye bye to your warrentty if you do that![/b]
True, just wait till your warranty is gone...or take the risk.

My dad has been doing it for 40,000 miles on a 1997 Passat and has had no problems.

I agree with Lincoln. I have 3 friends that are currently making bio-diesel at their homes. 1 of them has a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI. Biodiesel will not void his warranty. That was the first question he asked at the VW dealership.

The older cars and truck that my friends run have been converted with an additional tank to run straight grease. So now they have 2 tanks. They start there car on Biodiesel and then switch over to straight grease once the car is heated up.

I am in the process of looking for an 89 Jetta diesel to convert over to a grease system and would defenitely buy a new X if it comes with a diesel.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 07:23 AM

That 40,000 miles on my dad's Passat is with straight grease. He filters it himself from a Chinese Restaurant.

If you are looking for a kit, ask me and I will hook you up with my dad.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 07:34 AM

Quote:
[QUOTE]Nissan is bringing the Diesel to the Titan in the next year or so, why not the Xterra???
eek Really?!?!? I was considering a gas powered Titan to compliment the X within the next couple years. If they are going to do that, I may just have to wait a couple years to get the diesel Titan!! I know you said next year, but I'll wait a year or two afterward so they get all the kinks worked out wink

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
eek Really?!?!? I was considering a gas powered Titan to compliment the X within the next couple years. If they are going to do that, I may just have to wait a couple years to get the diesel Titan!! I know you said next year, but I'll wait a year or two afterward so they get all the kinks worked out wink
I am with you, defiantly considering buying a Titan, but will wait till the Diesel.
Posted by: Todrick

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 09:38 AM

yup, cause 34 signatures really don't amount to shit.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 10:57 AM

Quote:
That 40,000 miles on my dad's Passat is with straight grease. He filters it himself from a Chinese Restaurant.

Thanks Lincoln. My friends are all running the Grease system from http://www.greasecar.com/ .

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 11:00 AM

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual/specifications.asp

Here's a link to Nissan Australia. The Navara (Frontier) in Australia is avalable with a diesel engine. Now how come they get a cool rig like that and we dont? I have to say my dream rig is a small suv with a diesel engine, granny low first gear, and a solid front axle. (Keep dreaming I know)

I've wanted a diesel for year's. It seems like over seas they are reaping the benifits of diesel powered vehicles and have been for years. Lets face it you get more power and better gas milage. Even if diesel costs 25c more per gallon you are getting right back through your milage and then some.

Sign the petition and give it a chance, maby if all the members sighned the thing it would make some one at least consider it. If nissan is smart they will listen to their buyer's.

Remember: Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 11:04 AM

Oh and by the way, a snorkel is a factory option!

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 06:59 PM

i guess they don't have the new body styles yet.

i tell you what, the Patrol is waaaay cool. screw the armada.

http://www.nissan.com.au/patrol/

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 11:34 PM

Quote:

Funny.. you just wasted more time typing this than signing the petition. [Freak]

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 30/06/05 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
[b]show me one single petition from petitiononline.com, that's actually changed anything. And then I'll go sign the silly thing...

Funny.. you just wasted more time typing this than signing the petition. [Freak] [/b]
nope. i type fast.

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 01/07/05 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by waterman7474:
i guess they don't have the new body styles yet.

i tell you what, the Patrol is waaaay cool. screw the armada.

http://www.nissan.com.au/patrol/
I drove an Patrol when I was in Australia 3 years ago at a 4X4 expo in Sydney. I WANT ONE!
Posted by: Chris Mc

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 01/07/05 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by poe67:
Quote:
[b]That 40,000 miles on my dad's Passat is with straight grease. He filters it himself from a Chinese Restaurant.

Thanks Lincoln. My friends are all running the Grease system from http://www.greasecar.com/ .[/b]
A much better resource for SVO conversions is Greasel .
Posted by: DocNo

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 01/07/05 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blue02:
Now how come they get a cool rig like that and we dont?
Our diesel has a shitload of sulfur compared to theirs. Will change next year (let the games begin!)
Posted by: FSRBIKER

Re: Vote for Diesel Engines for all types of Xterra in USA - 02/07/05 03:41 PM

They are working with International who makes the Power Strokes for Ford. Instead of starting with the Power Stroke block Nissan decided they wanted to have International start from scratch and build a more powerful diesel engine. Rumors are the 2006 Titan will have a diesel option during the production year.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Quote:
[b][QUOTE]Nissan is bringing the Diesel to the Titan in the next year or so, why not the Xterra???
eek Really?!?!? I was considering a gas powered Titan to compliment the X within the next couple years. If they are going to do that, I may just have to wait a couple years to get the diesel Titan!! I know you said next year, but I'll wait a year or two afterward so they get all the kinks worked out wink [/b]