Milage increase ideas?

Posted by: Anonymous

Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 12:00 PM

Given the $4.00/gallon that we're dealing with, has anyone gone this route:
1. Remove the roof rack and nerf bars (weight and aerodynamics)
2. Install a cat-back exhaust and/or cold-air intake.
I've got a 2005 SE.
Thanks

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 12:07 PM

Buy a 40mpg car
Only drive with 1/4 -1/2 tank of gas...(less weight) [LOL]
Remove spare tire and call AAA (less weight laugh )
Use Nitrogen in tires (huge debate)
Remove mudflaps.... they catch all the air coming off the tires right?
Keep your windows up at all time and don't use air conditioning....sweat alot, maybe you'll become lighter [Finger]
Buy skinnier tires, stay at stock diameter.
Don't put any armor on.... ALLLL that weight in steel [Freak]

That's all for now

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 12:21 PM

like i said in another post, smile because $4/gallon is glorious. North of the border we're paying around $5.45/gallon. Consider yourself lucky

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
like i said in another post, smile because $4/gallon is glorious. North of the border we're paying around $5.45/gallon. Consider yourself lucky
How much of your paycheck goes towards paying health insurance?

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 02:08 PM

15% for employer provided family coverage here.

45psi vs 35psi in 33" AT's on my '02 X boosted the mileage 20%, from 15 up to 18 mpg in town. I'd try 50 or 55psi but I'm afraid that's a bad idea at 110 degrees.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akaMud:
15% for employer provided family coverage here.

45psi vs 35psi in 33" AT's on my '02 X boosted the mileage 20%,
Whats the risk of airing up that high? I've bumped mine up to 38 for roadtrips and the gain was negligible

Expecting harsh ride and middle thread wear. Wondering about the safety risk.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 04:17 PM

I has getting 13.7-13.9 pretty consistantly running 35 psi in my swampers. With BFG ATs same size aired to 47 psi I am seeing 15.3-15.5. I know it's not a huge gain but it helps.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Buy a 40mpg car
Only drive with 1/4 -1/2 tank of gas...(less weight) [LOL]
Remove spare tire and call AAA (less weight laugh )
Use Nitrogen in tires (huge debate)
Remove mudflaps.... they catch all the air coming off the tires right?
Keep your windows up at all time and don't use air conditioning....sweat alot, maybe you'll become lighter [Finger]
Buy skinnier tires, stay at stock diameter.
Don't put any armor on.... ALLLL that weight in steel [Freak]

That's all for now
Maybe I should regress back to stock.......Meh, nope

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 07:11 PM

Let’s be realistic here…. The X will never be a fuel efficient vehicle. Instead of trying to get more mpg’s out of $4.50 per gallon gas everyone should be pressuring their Congress critters to allow for cheaper sources of oil.

Sign the petition now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLd_xUUR4Bg

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Racer Xterra:
Let’s be realistic here…. The X will never be a fuel efficient vehicle. Instead of trying to get more mpg’s out of $4.50 per gallon gas everyone should be pressuring their Congress critters to allow for cheaper sources of oil.

Sign the petition now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLd_xUUR4Bg
Valid point but it will never happen. Get used to gas over atleast $3 if not a higher for the rest of our lives.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 07:36 PM

Okay, I get the idea. Be happy with my 15.8 around town, leave the racks and nerfs. Put the Exhaust on for sound purposes and the CAI for grins. Maybe even chip it for a couple extra HP at 5000 rpm...Got it!
I'll buy a Vespa, hug a tree, become a vegan, chain myself to a tree to save it from turning into a usable product- sorry, never happen.
RacerX, already signed one to open up drilling in all the areas the Greens are trying to protect. I saw a deal where the chinese of all people are drilling in the gulf where our congress won't even let us drill. Things are screwed as it is, can't wait to see the cluster@#&* after Pelosi and Reid have Obama signing all their bills to save this and that. Oh yeah, the tax increases and the elimination of tax cuts will really help the 'ol wallet. $4.50/gallon will be the least of our worries. Oops, wrong forum- sorry guys.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/06/08 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Okay, I get the idea. Be happy with my 15.8 around town, leave the racks and nerfs. Put the Exhaust on for sound purposes and the CAI for grins. Maybe even chip it for a couple extra HP at 5000 rpm...Got it!
I'll buy a Vespa, hug a tree, become a vegan, chain myself to a tree to save it from turning into a usable product- sorry, never happen.
RacerX, already signed one to open up drilling in all the areas the Greens are trying to protect. I saw a deal where the chinese of all people are drilling in the gulf where our congress won't even let us drill. Things are screwed as it is, can't wait to see the cluster@#&* after Pelosi and Reid have Obama signing all their bills to save this and that. Oh yeah, the tax increases and the elimination of tax cuts will really help the 'ol wallet. $4.50/gallon will be the least of our worries. Oops, wrong forum- sorry guys.
+5.

Welcome to XOC. Land of happy X owners pissed about fuel economy and gas prices while they dry hump thier new 32's, sliders, bumpers, blah blah blah. You get the idea.

laugh

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 14/06/08 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MemorEsto:
Quote:
Originally posted by Arterra:
[b]like i said in another post, smile because $4/gallon is glorious. North of the border we're paying around $5.45/gallon. Consider yourself lucky
How much of your paycheck goes towards paying health insurance?[/b]
I see where you're going..."free health coverage"
I work in health care myself and they deduct about 10% for my medical/dental and extended health coverage. So it's technically it's not free, but we definitely don't pay what you guys do down there for health coverage. It's all relative, regardless, gas is cheaper down there period.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 17/06/08 06:24 PM

If your serious about getting better gas mileage the X can do pretty well. I have gotten 26 mpg before and its pretty easy to get low 20's on a regular basis.

Here is my mileage info
http://www.cleanmpg.com/garage/images/1597.png

Read this article if should get you started.
Beating the EPS MPG standards @ Cleanmpg.com

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 17/06/08 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TennX:
If your serious about getting better gas mileage the X can do pretty well. I have gotten 26 mpg before and its pretty easy to get low 20's on a regular basis.

Here is my mileage info

Why don't you fill us in here without linking us to another site?
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 17/06/08 06:43 PM

Another mileage thread. Dear God.

How many are there now? And the funny part is that we've been griping about the X's gas mileage since gas was $1.05 a gallon. [Freak]

Please you guys, try searching the forum before starting a new thread.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 17/06/08 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
Originally posted by TennX:
[b]If your serious about getting better gas mileage the X can do pretty well. I have gotten 26 mpg before and its pretty easy to get low 20's on a regular basis.

Here is my mileage info

Why don't you fill us in here without linking us to another site?[/b]
Because they are dead links, and 26 [Spit] [Spit] [Spit]

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 17/06/08 09:32 PM

The other site will provide way more information than I can. I learned everything from them since thats their sole reason is increasing your mpg. here is the post on your site in another thread.

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 10:26 PM Profile for TennX Email TennX Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote You gave up to easy then. Your right your mpg ranges will result from those speeds. They can be held far longer than a minute or two. Not using cruise though. Cruise allows you to maintain a constant speed not a mpg rating.

For 3 years i've been trying to optimize my mpg and i've gotten quite good at it.

The secret isn't a certain speed but a certain ignition sequence and throttle position. the best thing you can do is buy a ODBII reader called a Scan Gauge II and program it to read your IGN and TPS. It will also display your current mpg and average MGP.

I can provide pics of this with proof of the distance I've traveled getting very high mpg in an Xterra.

--------------------

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 17/06/08 09:33 PM

They moved it to a different server...its up now.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 24/06/08 07:55 PM

ideas for increasing mileage on my X is one of the main reasons I joined the site. I have no mods to mine so I'm pretty much in the same shape I was when I drove off the lot in 04'. I replaced my fram with a KN air filter and I run fuel injector cleaner and gas treatment pretty frequently. I'm hitting 20 MPG with every tank. The article TennX posted is really good.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 24/06/08 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eastenn04':
ideas for increasing mileage on my X is one of the main reasons I joined the site. .....The article TennX posted is really good.
[Laughing]

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 25/06/08 09:12 AM

it's funny how everyone is still pretty meh about this high mpg he's getting. i dont think we're ever gonna hear the end of it.

[Sleep]

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 25/06/08 10:59 AM

One thing that is getting forgotten, you need to add the costs up for the injector cleaner, OB2 scanner, any additives, etc. Doesnt increase or decrease mpg but it does increase the cost per gallon. Kind of like getting a Honda to drive instead of the X.....add the $ cost for extra registration, license, insurance, maintnance, etc ....thats a lot of gas you can pay for and just drive the X at the lower mpg.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 25/06/08 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bru15:
One thing that is getting forgotten, you need to add the costs up for the injector cleaner, OB2 scanner, any additives, etc. Doesnt increase or decrease mpg but it does increase the cost per gallon.
I was thinking the same thing. As for the OB2 Scanner, depending on how long it lasts it can be taken to your next car and the return on investment can be stretched over several years of use. That device could end up being cost effective. As for the additives... I don't know if doing it frequently really saves you any money. Maybe using it every once in a while to ward off a mechanic bill would be worth it.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 26/06/08 10:21 AM

Only additives I ever use is seafoam, in the fall before winter starts and in the spring to get rid of the crappy gas junk. Put it the crankcase as well a day or two before I change the oil. Cleans it good.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 01/07/08 06:04 PM

I know this might seem pretty absurd, but hear me out on this.

I'm getting better performance and mileage out of moving up to 89 octane from 87 in my non-SC V6. Why? Because it's so damn hot in Phoenix, AZ that temps in the engine bay rise to the point where pre-detonation of the gasoline is easy even on my very clean (internally) engine. By running 89 the gasoline is now resisting detonation until the time that the engine was designed for instead of causing pinging and low power like it was doing for a few weeks. Come winter it'll be no problem running 87 octane again but it makes sense to me at the moment to run 89 when the daytime highs are running 110+F.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 01/07/08 08:35 PM

I took the novel approach of living 1.5 miles from my office... I get terrible mileage driving back and forth with the engine never even really getting up to temp - but a tank of gas lasts for a loooong time wink

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 01/07/08 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
I took the novel approach of living 1.5 miles from my office... I get terrible mileage driving back and forth with the engine never even really getting up to temp - but a tank of gas lasts for a loooong time wink
Only a mile and a half, I would walk or ride my bike.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 02/07/08 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
[b]I took the novel approach of living 1.5 miles from my office... I get terrible mileage driving back and forth with the engine never even really getting up to temp - but a tank of gas lasts for a loooong time wink
Only a mile and a half, I would walk or ride my bike.[/b]
I've done both and intended to do it all the time - but then the laziness (and texas heat) kicks in...

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 02/07/08 09:56 AM

Slider,

I've considered that bike option (I'm 4 miles away), but it's pay-off isn't all that great. Since I play soccer, lift weights, and run, the exercise'd be nice - but it's not needed.

Here's the math:

4 miles each way = 8 miles/day or 40 miles/week. At the 18mpg I'm getting (it's 45mph the whole way and only 2 stop lights), that works out to saving 2.2 gallons of gas/week. At $4/gallon (which I don't pay due to a deal with the local grocery store - I'm actually averaging around $3.50/gallon), that's only $8.80 of savings/week. Living in Ohio coupled with my specific job means I can only ride about 6 months out of the year, which means 24 weeks (2 off for vacation), so the savings ends up being $213/year.

While that might be a crappy bike, I'm not going to buy one that's not quality. The best combo of rideability/comfort/speed/quality/durability is probably a hybrid, and the decent ones are probably about 2x that.

Plus, it actually adds time to my commute, means I'd have to deal with being occasionally getting soaked, etc.

If it could pay off in a year or a few months, I'd probably be all over it. This is just too much for right now (we're happily recovering from moving to OH from NJ, floating two mortgages, and dropping several thousand into the condo we didn't need so it'd sell quick).

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 07/07/08 12:27 PM

Okay so I just want to know if this is normal is normal. I average about 15-16 mpg in the city which I understand is normal for an X but on the highway my mileage seems to decrease, once as low as 13 mpg. I realize there are tons of factors that need to be accounted for. City driving I am alone, on highway driving the X is usually loaded with luggage a family pet and 1 passenger. Could that extra load and my speed account for the dramatic drop in MPG. The same load in my wife's Altima still increases her MPG by at least 7-8 simply by avoiding the stop and go.

Not complaining just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 09/07/08 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dagar1979:
Not complaining just wondering if this is normal. Thanks.
Not normal at all. Even though the Xterra is a thirsty beast they don't really violate the laws of physics. I will say that your cruising speed on the freeway is a massive factor. Due to gearing I never like to exceed 70mph, as I'm already over 3k rpm's. I was actually getting better than 20mpg by doing that on a drive to Vegas.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 10/07/08 07:27 AM

I didn't think it was normal. I don't have any problems at all with my X, its been good to me just kind of odd. I'll have to try my next trip under 70, with gas prices where they are those 5-10 mph might help.

Thanks.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/07/08 07:11 AM

I have noticed that on the highway my x is still sucking gas. My RPM's seem to be very high when i go above 70 and i agree with that being the reason that my x is not just bad in the city but also on the highway. Im lucky if a full tank will average out to 13 mpg. But i still love my X.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 13/07/08 07:51 PM

i figure instead of trying to get my xterra better gas mileage im just gonna try to make more money. That might be easier then getting 25 mpg on my X

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 14/07/08 12:18 PM

Does the mileage get better after the break in period? This thing is DRINKIN the gas! My 01 gets about 18/19 pretty regularly, I drive 60 miles round trip to work every day. I'm not too worried about it, wouldn't have bought another X if I was, but it would be nice to know if I can expect a break on the wallet after a couple thousand miles.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 14/07/08 12:37 PM

Didn't your 01 have a 4 banger?

My 07 gets around 18-19 right now, but I've got the 6 speed and I rarely need to get above 45mph, don't use the AC, etc.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 14/07/08 06:11 PM

Ron,

Thanks for answering some of my posts. The 01 has a v6, it's a 3pack. The wife inherited it, I traded her car in for my new one. I'm getting 13 right now, after my first half tank. Most of that was in town with the A/C running. Only driven it to work once so far. I'm sure it will be better after going to work for a solid week. I'm just hoping it gets around 20.
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMNIAC:
I has getting 13.7-13.9 pretty consistantly running 35 psi in my swampers. With BFG ATs same size aired to 47 psi I am seeing 15.3-15.5. I know it's not a huge gain but it helps.
I'm surprised you can keep it on the road at 47 PSI! Would it piss you off if I were to tell you that I get 19 MPG with 32" BFG's at 34 PSI? That's at 70 MPH with the A/C on AND in mountainess areas. If I drop to 55 MPH I can hit 21 or 22 MPG.

Here's a thought for the older X owners. My X has always consitently gotten good mileage. part of it is that I've learned how to drive it for better mileage. For isntance, on steep hills more revs and less throttle works better than lower revs and more throttle. Try not to stop at traffic lights. Drive smoothly and time your drive so at worst all you have to do is slow down. Those of you that race to the next stop light and then slam on your brakes are killing your mileage. It takes a log of gas to get the Xterra moving again! People behind you will be pissed when you're driving along at 20 MPH, but they can go around...you'll get back by them anyway when the light turns green and you just kinda drive on by. Saves your brakes too (I get over 100K miles out of my front pads!).

Now, also check your maintenence items. Recently I noticed my mileage was going SOuth a bit...running about 16 - 17 MPG. I took the X in and had the spark plugs changed (they had 80k on them) and BOOM, back up to 19 MPG. Changing my cap and rotor and fuel filter on Friday.

Anyway, driving habits and maintenence are your best bets in changes to improve mileage.
Posted by: Saturday Morning

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 10:33 AM

Reading this post brings up a something I've been pondering and I can't figure out.

Would advancing the iginition timing a few degrees help or hinder fuel economy under light engine loading driving conditions? (picture grandma speed)

-Saturday

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturday Morning:
Reading this post brings up a something I've been pondering and I can't figure out.

Would advancing the iginition timing a few degrees help or hinder fuel economy under light engine loading driving conditions? (picture grandma speed)

-Saturday
Besides the fact the ECU will adjust it back (You can only verify/adjust base timing.) you would run into predetenation (Pinging) and fry your engine. When pinging the O2 sensors may tell the ECU to richen the mixture to avoid the PING. Also the Knock sensor may retard the timing to avoid pinging as well.

Computer controls are nice, until you want the adjustability, then you have to have the ECU reprogrammed for about 400 bucks, and run premium from then on.

So the answer is no. IMHO

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 11:31 AM

Conundrum - you're correct. You used to be able to do that prior to computer-controlled engines. Advance it or retard it to either get better gas mileage or more power (can't remember which is which) as well as handle higher RPMs better.

Not so much anymore. The best answer continues to be drive like a gramma and keep everything in good maintenance.

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 03:30 PM

Got it. - Thanks for the help. I checked the ignition timing with the timing light last fall before doing the timing belt/maintenance and noticed that it was a little advanced - I decided to just leave it alone then, lately been thinking about it again and if it had negative effects on mileage or not. (still averages 16-17 mpg) - and yes I drive it like grandma [LOL]

Thanks,
Saturday

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturday Morning:
Got it. - Thanks for the help. I checked the ignition timing with the timing light last fall before doing the timing belt/maintenance and noticed that it was a little advanced - I decided to just leave it alone then, lately been thinking about it again and if it had negative effects on mileage or not. (still averages 16-17 mpg) - and yes I drive it like grandma [LOL]

Thanks,
Saturday
If I remember correctly the engine has to be at operating temp and the TPS disconnected. Note: It will not want to run at idle at first so you have to hold the RPM at around 2K and slowly let it down. Then you may check the timing. This is the Baseline setting or whatever the FSM says it is.

It would not be uncommon to have a little advance with the TPS hooked up and a miriad of other conditions, but if you've turned the Dist at all, I would perform this check to make sure it is right. The ECU can only compensate so far from the Baseline, then run into trouble.

Good luck, I'm changing the engine clutch fan out for electrics (2 on the Condensor and 1 on the radiator) and hope that will give a little bump on HP and MPG, but I don't expect much. I will however get cold A/C all the time. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 16/07/08 04:36 PM

Factory set point is 15 Deg BTDC +/- 2 degrees, as I remember I think it was reading at 20 degrees BTDC last fall. I did do the check with the engine warmed up (after driving home from work) and followed all the steps in the book as far as running it at 2k rpm for 2 min. etc. but it wouldn't run at all with the TPS unplugged so I had to leave it plugged in. Now that I'm thinking about it I should probably do the check again - but not tonight, it's the baby's birthday.
Posted by: WyoGrad

Re: Milage increase ideas? - 24/05/10 12:12 PM

@ Anonymous
No kidding on the bike suggestion...