Best way to dispose

Posted by: Ltbdy

Best way to dispose - 26/10/12 06:48 PM

frown my beloved 2002 3.3VG 4x4 @150k miles ...mechanic says $3-4k for engine rebuild/replace due to crankshaft/rods wear. I cant pay that....so time to let it go. Recommendations?

Re: Best way to dispose - 26/10/12 07:28 PM

Well...my thoughts on options:
1. donate to non-profit org & get tax writeoff.
2. local salvage yard for parts minimal$ return
3. try to sell...dont expect much interest in this condition
Posted by: Nissan_MasterTech

Re: Best way to dispose - 27/10/12 04:38 AM

Care to elaborate how your "mechanic" came to that conclusion?

The reason I'm asking is because that type of failure almost never happens to the VG series engines, they are freaking bullet proof unless you do something stupid like run it with no oil or not change the oil and sludge up the engine.

Re: Best way to dispose - 31/10/12 06:07 AM

Sure, beyond the oil leaking from the bottom rear of the engine block...I had him open it up to investigate it and the 'ticking' sound. (in hopes of a repair <$2400) He did and said the crankshaft & rods need to be rebuilt/replaced, or replace engined. He's been my mech for 12+ years & very trustworthy.

I'll not say I did well at regular oil changes...more like occasional....a hard lesson
Posted by: Nissan_MasterTech

Re: Best way to dispose - 04/11/12 05:18 AM

One thing you might want to look into is a used low mileage engine if you really want to keep your beloved on the road.

There are lots of reputable used parts companies out there that sell good quality low mileage engines and transmissions, and most times they offer an initial warranty of 90 days or 3k miles.

You can also purchase and extension of the warranty up to a year , but I think it's a waste because if anything is going to wrong it will do it within the first 1k miles.

At my dealership we use LKQ Parts, we've never had a problem with anything they sent us.

It takes a lot to admit a mistake as you did by not doing regular oil changes, it is a hard lesson but going forward i'm betting you'll be at the shop when the odometer clicks over the 3000 mile change interval.
Posted by: e207

Re: Best way to dispose - 04/11/12 06:48 AM

I had mine remanufactured from Promar Engines ( http://www.promarengine.com/ )

3 year unlimited miles warrenty,.... cost was aroun 2200, They did not have my block (the SC Model) in stock, so they actually picked up my block, took it back and did the work and sent it back without any shipping charges due to the inconvienance to me, forced me to wait an extra three days because of that, it wsa worth it though.

Re: Best way to dispose - 23/01/13 02:41 PM

Sold to highest bidder. El fin
Posted by: clarise

Re: Best way to dispose - 25/01/13 01:22 PM

Part out to someone who needs item and make money. Scrap the rest and make more money.