Hearing a "popping" sound when wheels turned at extreme angles

Posted by: Spoonman75

Hearing a "popping" sound when wheels turned at extreme angles - 01/08/13 06:37 PM

OK people,

I've noticed that when my '01 manual is at a stand still and I'm trying to turn that thing REAL tight and I go all the way to one side or the other of that rack/pinnion and then back off a little way (so as not to turn at the absolute extreme limit) I hear a strange LOUD popping or bumping?!!? Is this indicative of a CV joint issue on the front end or is this typical if you turn the wheels that far in one direction or another and start out from a stand still?? I suspect CV joint but this NEVER happens any other time. The X drives silently when turning and has no sounds when I turn any other time - only when extreme turn angles of the tires and mostly from a stop or REAL slow movement? Ideas? Experience? Does this sound like I totally made it up just to talk with you because I'm bored??

Thanks in advance!

Spoonman
Posted by: legend869

Re: Hearing a "popping" sound when wheels turned at extreme angles - 05/03/14 06:32 PM

Mine was doing this too. Never found a culprit but I suspect a ball joint somewhere.