Removing road grim from a freshly painted X

Posted by: Xrugger

Removing road grim from a freshly painted X - 30/05/02 10:45 AM

I After my accident with the X I had to have the front end repainted. Now I'm getting ready to give my X her first wax job since the repaint. But there is a bunch of spot of road grime that I can't get off. I don't want to use anything to harsh since there is no wax on the front of the X yet.

Any recomendations?
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: Removing road grim from a freshly painted X - 30/05/02 11:55 AM

How long has it been since it was painted? Depending on which opinion you choose to accept, you should wait a few weeks to three months before waxing new paint. I think it really depends on the paint system used. The body shop could provide good information. Barring that, just find out what they used and check with the paint manufacturer.
If the road grime won't come off with normal car wash/water then ask the shop or manufacturer. I'd suspect the grime is oil based. Bug and tar remover, WD-40, goo gone, even peanut butter or simular products should work. Basic idea - like dissolves like. Oil dissolves oil. I would exercise care with new paint tho.

dave and xtoy - mostly old paint
Posted by: xterrapin

Re: Removing road grim from a freshly painted X - 30/05/02 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:
I would exercise care with new paint tho.
I will second that! We use Akzo Nobel which suggests a 90 day wait after refinish.
Posted by: Xrugger

Re: Removing road grim from a freshly painted X - 30/05/02 04:45 PM

It was painted in December. The Guy at the shop said normally you should wait wait 3 months, but since it was winter he recommended 5 since the paint would cure slower with colder weather.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Removing road grim from a freshly painted X - 30/05/02 04:52 PM

Might be something a clay bar treatment could take care of...

Brent
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Removing road grim from a freshly painted X - 30/05/02 06:31 PM

All you need is a clean paper towel or rag and some WD-40, which everyone has (or should have) in their garage... Should take it right off!

I wouldn't mess with a clay bar or other fancy solutions without trying the WD-40 first. Why make it more difficult?