Is it just me?

Posted by: helopilot73

Is it just me? - 07/04/02 08:24 AM

Is it just me, or does anyone else remove the gear basket, front wind deflector and cross bars of the roof rack prior to washing??? eek
Posted by: buck

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 08:26 AM

It's just you!
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 09:16 AM

I took off the wind deflector and gear basket last winter and never bothered to put them back on.

dave and xtoy - nuth'in i need them for
Posted by: troyboy

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 10:56 AM

Took the basket off so I could use the sun roof, then the deflector and bars so the snow would'nt hang around for an extra week.
Put the bars back on in case I get something at home depot.
Might put the deflector back on after I do the "thor" mod.
I dought if I'll find a use for the basket as long as I have the sunroof..
Posted by: defibvt

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by helopilot73:
Is it just me, or does anyone else remove the gear basket, front wind deflector and cross bars of the roof rack prior to washing??? eek
I do too.
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 12:49 PM

Just the basket and the deflector.
Posted by: xterras

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 01:24 PM

I remove the basket from time to time before getting it washed. The area under the roof rack gets really dirty and dry...I need to put some wax up there.
Posted by: coferj

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 02:29 PM

I take it off every few months when I wax and polish. Aside from that, no.
Posted by: Adalbert

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 05:28 PM

I also took off the gear basket & deflector-so I could enjoy the sunroof. I moved the front crossbar forward as well. I like the look better and don't see myself putting them back on. I also peeled the XTERRA decals off the rack.
Posted by: CDXX

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 05:42 PM

I just did my annual spring "return of the basket". I take the basket off each winter to avoid snow collecting, melting, refreezing and scratching the roof. Each fall when I take it off and each spring when it goes back on again, I also lube all 4 basket and all 4 deflector screws with a dab of vasoline. As per the advice given on this forum, I've also added rubber washers to keep any water from getting in to the threads. After 1 1/2 years (including 2 winters) all threads are still bright and shiney with no sign of rust!
Posted by: helopilot73

Re: Is it just me? - 07/04/02 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDXX:
I just did my annual spring "return of the basket". I take the basket off each winter to avoid snow collecting, melting, refreezing and scratching the roof. Each fall when I take it off and each spring when it goes back on again, I also lube all 4 basket and all 4 deflector screws with a dab of vasoline. As per the advice given on this forum, I've also added rubber washers to keep any water from getting in to the threads. After 1 1/2 years (including 2 winters) all threads are still bright and shiney with no sign of rust!
Wow! I had never seen that on here before, but I'm going to have to try it. I noticed mine were a bit rusty today after washing my truck.
Posted by: lboogie

Re: Is it just me? - 27/04/02 12:35 PM

Thanks for the tips. That routine maintenance sounds easy enough to follow. I have removed the basket and wind deflector and have not put it back on yet. Never thought of removing the bars prior to washing.
Posted by: zowman

Re: Is it just me? - 07/05/02 05:51 PM

Found washing the truck with the wind dam removed and basket removed is worth while. In fact, I leave the basket off until I need it. However, I tried to leave off the wind dam, but found the wind noise noticeable. Put it back on and no problem.

2002 XE 4x4 Molten Lava
Lehigh Valley, PA
Posted by: BoarderPhreak

Re: Is it just me? - 08/05/02 07:44 AM

Yeah, it's just you... wink

I removed my gear basket at the dealer before I left the lot and it's never been back on since - not even once. I like my sunroof too much, especially with the see-thru mod. Heh.

However, you do have the right idea with the wind deflector. A lot of crud builds up under and around it that you normally can't easily get to with it in place. Not worthwhile to take it off every time, but once in a while - you should really clean under there - especially for you folks with SE/sunroof. Don't forget to clean inside the "gutter" under the sunroof too.
Posted by: Peps_X

Re: Is it just me? - 23/05/02 01:47 PM

Yup, I remove the gear basket as well when I wash it. Otherwise it gets pretty crappy under there! I am waiting for our drought restrictions to pass here so I can give it a good washing. It's killing me taking it to the car wash.
Posted by: Mebike

Re: Is it just me? - 24/05/02 08:42 AM

I just keep mine off so nobody steals it! [Spit]