How to replace heater element?

Posted by: Bricktop

How to replace heater element? - 07/09/10 05:00 PM

I just got my 2002 se back from the shop with a new engine and was told the upper stem to the heater element is broken and it's $650 to replace. After dropping $ 5.5K on the rebuild, transmission service, brakes, etc. I went with keeping the heater element out of the loop for now (which is only going to be okay for another month our so). Then I was switching out the hepa filter and it looked like the heater element was just to the right of the hepa filter. Would love to save a little cash, has anyone replaced there heater element or have an idea of how hard it is; a how-to would be great?

Thanks
Posted by: NY Madman

Re: How to replace heater element? - 08/09/10 03:26 PM

$650 seems like a steep price.

If I read your post correctly, you are talking about the Heater Core.

An OEM replacement part for the Heater Core is about $158.. link...

You can do a google search and find a new replacement from another manufacturer for less.

I'm also pretty sure that someone on here at some point in the past did a writeup on replacing the heater core.
Posted by: XOC

Re: How to replace heater element? - 08/09/10 04:42 PM

I believe that quote..

I did mine myself and it is a BITCH to get to it. You have to take the dash apart.
Posted by: Bricktop

Re: How to replace heater element? - 08/09/10 05:24 PM

Your right core; not element.

I found a link (http://www.fixya.com/cars/t5315103-am_remove_heater_core_from_nissan_xterrato) do it and it does look like a bitch; any thing where you have to remove the airbags is really too much for me.

I'll look around for a better install price.

thanks for the info.
Posted by: TJ

Re: How to replace heater element? - 15/09/10 07:21 PM

You DO have to remove most of the dash....I did it w/o removing the air bag module though