howdy so tell me what is the secret in changing that plug? l can't
even get the boot off the plug?
Posted by: XOC

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 07/11/10 06:59 PM

double elbow joint.. cussing and small hands
Posted by: granitex

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 08/11/10 06:25 AM

getting it out is easy.

I used a section of 3/8 fuel line shoved over the end of the new plug to get it started.

I would also use a little high temp anti-seize.
Posted by: goofiefoot

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 18/11/10 10:21 AM

Take the hood off and put a piece of plywood over the engine to lay on. Makes it much easier.
Posted by: ProjectPatt587

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 21/11/10 08:50 PM

I wouldn't know about doing it without the engine partially disassembled... I have had to remove the upper plenum on mine twice. Once for the knock sensor and a second time to change the valve cover gaskets. The plenum can be quite the bitch to get off, but that last plug is a breeze to change when its off.... lolol I wouldn't recommend pulling it just to change the plugs though...
Posted by: TJ

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 22/11/10 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: daylight
howdy so tell me what is the secret in changing that plug? l can't
even get the boot off the plug?

I find the best way to is get everything I need to swap them with me, and lay over the engine, follow the plug boot down to the plug, feel around a bit to get my bearings, and pull the boot, slipping the socket on before I lose the spot...

...remove the old plug, but slide the new one into place before leaving the hole area, so - again, I don't lose the spot...

...thread in the new one, torque it in, and, replace the boot.

Takes about 5 minutes total, less after doing it a few times, and/or there's anti-seize already on the old threads, etc.

I took these pics of 'ol #6 (#666 ?) in its natural habitat, during an engine swap I did a few years ago:

laugh

Posted by: MISTAHKIM

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 30/09/11 10:27 PM

holy smack its all the way back there?! yeah I was reading this in hopes to find an easier way to change my spark plugs... how do you go about changing the left side rocker cover gasket?
Posted by: XOC

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 07/10/11 01:46 PM

gotta get all that crap out of the way to get the gasket off
Posted by: Ravzilla

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 08/10/11 02:39 PM

I'm doing this today... and I wish I hadn't bothered! It's like a TV reality show - change all 6 plugs and you win a $100,000. I haven't even gotten to #6, I'm at #4 just before it and it looks impossible. How do you even pull the boot off #4???? atleast #6 I can reach and kinda get at?
Plus, standing on a step stool is killing my legs. I much prefer working on my lowered MX-6 after this lol.
Posted by: Ravzilla

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 08/10/11 07:11 PM

Ok finished all 6 plugs. #4 was a B#tch. #6 took 5 mins.
Somehow #4 broke on me, and 2 pieces of the cermic/porcelein - whatever material it is - fell into the plug hole. FML. Seriously. Used a vacuum and some little pipe I had laying around and played a game of fish the broken pieces out of the cylinder head. Got them all.
I would never wanna do this job sober ever again.
Posted by: RNTKnives

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 15/10/11 03:38 PM

See... threads like this are why I pay a guy.
Posted by: Ecks

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 13/05/12 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: goofiefoot
Take the hood off and put a piece of plywood over the engine to lay on. Makes it much easier.

that's what I did, made a huge difference.
Posted by: mboyce605

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 31/05/12 06:05 PM

I had the same issue... I actually did take all the bolts out of the plenum and took that opportunity to also replace that gasket (seemed like a good idea at the time). This was all warranted out of a $400 estimate to replace the plugs from my dealer. So I went into, "Hell, I could do that for a fraction of the price" mode and got to work. In the end I had a couple of hours where I was laying on top of the engine, multiple trips to the parts store to get a slew of parts I didn't anticipate needing and having all the plugs, wires, and associated gasket changed. Now... $400 was indeed saved, and I was able to learn more about my vehicle for the future (priceless). So, this is one of the few times I can honestly say it was worth it and despite the random profanity, frustration, and muscle cramps I would do it again for the knowledge irregardless of the savings.
Posted by: Nissan_MasterTech

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 02/06/12 05:57 PM

My My My ....

Plywood ?!?

Remove the Hood !?!

Seriously ?

The link shows the 13/16 version of style spark plug socket I use but in 9/16 of course.

Get a 4 inch extension and a ratchet and ur good to go.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 03/06/12 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Nissan_MasterTech
My My My ....

Plywood ?!?

Remove the Hood !?!

Seriously ?

The link shows the 13/16 version of style spark plug socket I use but in 9/16 of course.

So me using a remote control robot with camera was overkill?
Posted by: Nissan_MasterTech

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 13/06/12 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TJ
Originally Posted By: Nissan_MasterTech
My My My ....

Plywood ?!?

Remove the Hood !?!

Seriously ?

So me using a remote control robot with camera was overkill?

Maybe just a little, where can I get one ?

The #6 plug sucks no matter how you do it, it's a real pain in the azz!

I think I'd rather get kicked in the ballz sometime than do #6 plug.
Posted by: yellowbug

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 14/06/12 07:30 AM

Before my body lift the number six plug was a pain in my a&?.

After the body lift I used a plug socket 4"extension universal joint 4"extension and a socket wrench in that order. Took 45secs.
Posted by: Jg

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 22/06/12 10:09 PM

Can the pro air foil be replaced with one without lights?

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 24/06/12 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Jg
Can the pro air foil be replaced with one without lights?

This is a meaningless post in this thread.
Posted by: Joe-Nathan

Re: changing no 6 plug on a 3.3 motor - 29/06/12 11:51 AM

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! THE ENGINEER WHO DESIGNED THIS ENGINE SHOULD BE TAKEN OUT BACK AND FLOGGED DAILY TO REMIND HIM THAT HE WORKS FOR US(THE END USER)!!!!!!!

Sorry feeling better...had some serious flash backs after reading this thread.

I ended up using a new spark plug socket with the 4" ext then swivel, then a 6" ext. to get the old plug out. Used the old spark plug socket to install the new plug. Why? New socket would not release the plug once I finished screwing it in.

As stated above, I was able to channel my fathers poetic use of cuss words to get me thru the job.

I will be selling/trading (hopefully) before I have to change that plug again.