Where is the fuel filter?

Posted by: redsox021384

Where is the fuel filter? - 28/03/11 01:41 PM

I've looked all over for the damn fuel filter. Is this something I can change myself? I've got a 2000.
Posted by: skatchkins

Re: Where is the fuel filter? - 28/03/11 01:58 PM

Under the rear passenger side seat

Posted by: Gonzo-2

Re: Where is the fuel filter? - 28/03/11 02:41 PM

That being said, do a search on HOW to replace it. It's under pressure (most of the time I think) and there's a process to replacing it without getting gas sprayed everywhere.

Also, when you do, check the electrical contacts of the sending unit for corrosion. Common problem and some were recalled for this issue.

-G
Posted by: 52

Re: Where is the fuel filter? - 28/03/11 03:34 PM

It's hidden behind a protection plate bolted to the frame. Under passenger side at the front of the gas tank. Golf tees are a nice trick to plug then if the start to give you a gas shower
Posted by: granitex

Re: Where is the fuel filter? - 28/03/11 06:34 PM

Are you just changing the filter, or doing the filter and pump.

If it is just the filter, pull the fuse for it and hit the key a few times, it will bleed off the pressure.

Other than that all that you really need is a 10mm socket and a small screw driver for the hose clamps.

Also be prepared for broken bolts, they are small and like to seize. Just go easy and you will be fine.
Posted by: Carnage

Re: Where is the fuel filter? - 11/04/11 10:50 AM

I just replaced mine yesterday on my 02. And even after relieving the pressure (Took out fuel pump fuse turned it over -stalled- and then crank several more times) gas sprayed a decent amount. Though I did mine from underneath (not sure if I could have reached it from the inside).
Posted by: granitex

Re: Where is the fuel filter? - 11/04/11 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Carnage
I just replaced mine yesterday on my 02. And even after relieving the pressure (Took out fuel pump fuse turned it over -stalled- and then crank several more times) gas sprayed a decent amount. Though I did mine from underneath (not sure if I could have reached it from the inside).

Just think of how bad it would have been if you had not blead off the pressue,, And there is no way that you could get to the filter from the top, it has to be done from underneath.