Rear seat toolbox (more or less) complete

Posted by: slantyshanty

Rear seat toolbox (more or less) complete - 07/09/13 08:48 AM

This started off with a combination of working WAY too much these days and not having much time off, my need do make/build stuff, lots of extra wood/parts taking up valuable space in my garage, and NEVER having anyone in the backseat area of my X.

Also know that it is VERY hard to take pics of the back seat area of your X... I ALMOST took my doors off several times. crazy

The bottom of the seats, under the cushions, is a very strange shape and it isn't parallel with the actual ground SO the first part of making the actual box was LOTS of measuring, cutting, measuring some more, cutting some more, and just plain 'ol guessing and eyeballing. When I started I figured this was just a prototype to see if it could actually be done. If it did turn out ok I thought (and still do) I could take it out and have it made out of metal by a pro. I haven't made it that far yet.

Making the sides fit was "FUN"!

What the inside started like

I HAD the lid open to the rear at first (even though I knew I would be changing it later. At the time I only had 2 hinges.

I later changed it to two doors and long hinges.

Posted by: slantyshanty

Re: Rear seat toolbox (more or less) complete - 07/09/13 08:49 AM

Then I had to go back to work for a few weeks. In that time, I tried to make some progress to another project of mine... OBA.
I had no luck finding a good spot for the compressor or the little tank I have in my X, under the hood, under the X, by the spare tire... So it just ended up here. This isn't expected to stay this way, I just ran out of time... again.

I need to take some new pics of the "finished" product, I just called it quits last night. But I bedlined the whole box.

I will get more pics today. Like all the junk in the floor of my x lol? I THOUGHT about making the box go all the way down there. I don't know what I would put in it? Another battery? I don't THINK the compressor and tank are going to stay there. It is rather loud when I turn it on, but I did get it all wired up on switch, relay, and automatic shutoff at 110psi. Also got it plummed with one quick connect in the front bumper and one in the back. The tank is only a 1 gallon tank so I'm pretty sure I won't be using any kind of air tools. About 95% of this whole project was done with stuff I just had laying around.
Posted by: davisbl345

Re: Rear seat toolbox (more or less) complete - 06/06/14 02:34 AM

That is bad ass!!! First time I ever wished I didnt have kids so I could do the same thing lol.