2005 S vs. OR

Posted by: Anonymous

2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 10:42 AM

Is it really worth the extra money to get the OR instead of the S? What are the differences that really count? Any comments/ suggestions?
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 10:51 AM

This is your task:

Cut/Paste all the differences found on www.nissanusa.com in this thread. Point out all the differences.

When you are done, tell us how you will use your Xterra in Florida.

Then, only when you are done with your portion of the work, will anyone post to this thread. Oh, and that search tool... use it.

(any posts made to this thread that do not comply with the mentioned rules will be deleted)

Welcome newbie! [Finger] Stay for a while, won't you...

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 11:04 AM

Standard Features S MODEL

Mechanical

VQ40DE - 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
265 hp @ 5,600 rpm
284 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm
Emissions - LEV2-LEV
Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Nissan Direct Ignition System
Platinum-tipped spark plugs
Electronic drive-by-wire throttle
Variable Intake System
6-speed manual transmission
16" x 6" 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels
P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® Long Trail® OWL tires
Full-size spare tire
Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
Front independent double-wishbone suspension with stabilizer bar
Rear multi-leaf springs with solid axle and stabilizer bar
Engine speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
Front vented disc/rear disc brakes
4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)

Exterior

Tubular roof rack with covered gear box, crossbars and airdam
Rear bumper steps
Front tow hook
Dual power outside mirrors
Front UV-reducing solar glass
Rear privacy glass

Interior

Air conditioning
Retained accessory power and battery saver
Tilt steering column
Variable intermittent windshield wipers
Rear wiper
Front map lights
Digital clock (in radio)
4 12-volt DC power outlets (2 "live")
4 cup holders and 2 bottle holders
Front-passenger's side seat pocket
Luggage side nets
Easy Clean cargo area
Under-floor cargo area storage
Utili-track cargo channel system with 4 adjustable cleats
4 Ceiling hooks and 2 side hooks

Seating and Appointments

Cloth seats
8-way manual adjustable driver's seat
Adjustable lumbar support
60/40 split fold-flat rear seats
Removable seat cushions
Second-row height-adjustable head restraints (outboard positions)

Audio

AM/FM/CD audio system
6 Speakers

Safety and Security

Nissan Advanced Air Bag System with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt sensors and occupant-classification sensor
Active front head restraints
Front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
Energy-absorbing steering column
Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
Hood buckling creases
Pipe-style steel side-door guard beams
Vehicle security system
Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System

Standard Features OR MODEL

Mechanical

VQ40DE - 4.0-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 engine
265 hp @ 5,600 rpm
284 lb-ft of torque @ 4,000 rpm
Emissions - LEV2-LEV
Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)
Nissan Direct Ignition System
Platinum-tipped spark plugs
Electronic drive-by-wire throttle
Variable Intake System
Skid plates - oil pan, fuel tank and lower radiator
6-speed manual transmission
Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) - Late availability for manual transmission models
2-wheel Limited Slip (ABLS)
16" x 6" 6-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels
P265/75R16 BFGoodrich® Rugged Trail® OWL tires
Full-size spare tire
Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)
Front independent double-wishbone suspension with stabilizer bar
Rear multi-leaf springs with solid axle and stabilizer bar
Bilstein™ off-road performance shock absorbers
Engine speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
Front vented disc/rear disc brakes
4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD)

Exterior

Tubular roof rack with covered gear box, crossbars and airdam
Rear bumper steps
Front tow hook
Body side moldings
Fog lights
Dual power outside mirrors
Front UV-reducing solar glass
Rear privacy glass

Interior

Air conditioning
Power door locks
Power windows with driver's one-touch auto-down
Remote keyless entry
Cruise control
Retained accessory power and battery saver
Tilt steering column
Variable intermittent windshield wipers
Rear wiper
Front map lights
Sun visors with extenders and dual visor vanity mirrors
Digital clock (in radio)
4 12-volt DC power outlets (2 "live")
4 cup holders and 2 bottle holders
Driver's seatback pocket
Front-passenger's side seat pocket
Luggage side nets
Cargo net
Easy Clean cargo area
Under-floor cargo area storage
Utili-track cargo channel system with 4 adjustable cleats
4 Ceiling hooks and 2 side hooks
First-aid kit

Seating and Appointments

Cloth seats
8-way manual adjustable driver's seat
Adjustable lumbar support
Fold-flat front-passenger's seat
60/40 split fold-flat rear seats
Removable seat cushions
Second-row height-adjustable head restraints (outboard positions)

Audio

AM/FM/CD audio system
6 speakers

Safety and Security

Nissan Advanced Air Bag System with dual-stage supplemental front air bags with seat belt sensors and occupant-classification sensor
Active front head restraints
Front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
LATCH System (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren)
Energy-absorbing steering column
Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
Hood buckling creases
Pipe-style steel side-door guard beams
Vehicle security system
Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 11:21 AM

Ok so those are the standard options.
Here are the diffs:

Bilstein Offroad Shocks - OR only
Side tubular step rails - S only
Load restraint hooks - S only
Cloth main seat material - S only (OR has blue cloth NA in S model)
Curb Weight - lbs S=4,081 OR=4,149
Ground clearance unladen (inches) 8 9
OR doesn't come in Canteen
S doesn't get fog lights
OR gets VDC HSA HDC N/A for S
Different wheels (who cares)
Various skid plates on OR
OR gets power package standard

The rest are upgradeable options.
Let me know what I missed.

What I'll be using my Xterra for here in FL -

carrying surfboards, carrying bikes, offroading, camping, moving junk, hauling ass (please see new engine specs), rendezvous w/ females, kayaking/canoeing, towing boats (maybe a trailer w/ a motorcycle someday), burning cash, pulling my friends Wrangler, tailgating, sleeping, carrying diving/ snorkeling gear... etc. etc.
Posted by: TJ

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 11:39 AM

You want the rear locker option you can get with the OR version.

It costs you about $2000+ to add one later.

laugh

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 12:20 PM

What is the rear locker option? Where does it fit? And why is it $2000 later?
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 12:31 PM

It's a locking rear diff. The ultimate traction device. It keeps power to the opposite wheel when a wheel on the same axle loses traction. As a factory installed option it is built into the rear end.

If you add it later not only will you have to purcha$e it but you will have to pay someone

to have it installed.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 12:36 PM

The funy thing is that fastdrmr was being sarcastic. The funnier thing is that you actually did it. laugh

The locker will be $2000 later on because it will be aftermarket which you buy and have installed. You can save yourself the trouble now by purchasing the Off Road.

The Off Road also has a an alloy wheel as a spare, whereas the S has a steel wheel. If you get the S with utility and power package, then the only major difference is the elocker (assuming you get a 6MT). If you get an auto, then there's the Hill Decent/Ascent. The rest is cosmetic (fogs, seats, wheels, etc).

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 12:48 PM

The nissan website says that the S with a utility package comes with limited slip ABLS... what is it?

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 12:51 PM

Well I'd say the guy passed the test with flying colors there hehe. He didn't even fire back a retort...good show.

Anyway, the locker is the main difference, and it's a nice one to have. Having driven both, however, I will tell you that the OR seems to have a much stiffer ride. Drive both and see if you agree, and if it's ok with you (and make sure the test drive cars don't have overinflated tires, which seems to be the case alot). I don't mind that stiffness, but my wife isn't crazy about it. ...the newborn loves it though hehe, puts her right to sleep.

The tire difference isn't purely cosmetic btw (though I'm not a "tire-guy").

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 01:19 PM

Excellent work... your post will now be sticky, which means it will stay at the top of the list for being usefull information for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks for all the good replies!!! [ThumbsUp]

THANKS!!!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 01:28 PM

Limited Slip is a limited slip rear differential (LSD)...its a traction aid, but the Nissan version is a bit anemic.

The rear locker does what the LSD is supposed to do, and difference in performance is HUGE.

laugh

The emphasis on the locker probably was a surprise to you, but members with pre-'05's are PAYING BIG BUCKS to have our LSD's REPLACED with lockers when we can afford it....

The X has a live rear axle, meaning that the two tires are essentially at the ends connected by the big shaft between them....an unlocked rear axle, for street based driving, is set up to go around paved corners....the outside tire has to go further around the same curve than the inside tire...a difference...

The rear differential is designed to transfer the engine torque to the tire going faster (The outside tire, as it has the best leverage to push the rig around the curve...and the inside of the turn tire, with the shortest distance to go in the same time, is just along for the ride...

Off road...if you lose traction on one side, either a mud hole, loose gravel, or one tire is hanging in the air going over something, etc......the tire with no resistance goes faster than the one with traction...its spinning, but not pushing the truck...

and you are stuck...sitting there with one tire on perfectly good ground, watching the retarded tire spin helplessly.

A locked diff MAKES both tires turn at the same speed....no matter what...so even if one tire has no traction, the other tire has all the go go juice it needs to keep you going.

The electric locker in the '05 lets you turn the locker on for rough going off road....and off again for paved roads and normal conditions...plus, it works as a better LSD differential when not locked, a nice touch.

No downside, HUGE offroad advantage...a factory locker is also covered by the factory warranty....the ones we do ourself are covered for 12 months or so, etc.

laugh

So - anyway, that's why we're all ga ga over the locker issue.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/05/05 05:57 PM

You also get ultra cool, chrome Off Road badging, and that gives you even more traction [Finger] Seriously, get the Off-Road package. Also lets Nissan know what we want! I love seeing S models littering the lot and not an Off-road to be found [ThumbsUp]

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/05/05 09:13 AM

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but it is due sometime in June.

I ordered the S 4x4 over the Offroad for a few key reasons:

1. Offroad comes with only one choice in interior: Blue cloth with large open loops, which I bet will get pulled and look like crap in a few years.

2. Offroad does not come in Canteen, which would look bad with the blue interior(which I didn't want anyway).

3. After reading the forums, the aftermarket skid plates, although more $$ out of pocket, look much better than the stock.

4. The stiffer ride of the Offroad was a small negative because most of my time will be on the road, and again, if later I feel stiff shocks are important, they can be added.

5. Cost. The offroad would have cost me at least $1500 (retail) more that the S with the same options.

6. It seemed that the HDC and HSA had marginal value, especially after reading these forums.

The biggest concern for the future is the added cost and hassle of adding a rear locker, assuming I get to that point.

Can't wait to get my 05X!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 02/06/05 05:16 PM

Lloyd, are you THE Lloyd that used to own a sweet Montero and frequent the Montero forums over on Outdoor Wire? Just curious. I, too, used to own a '90 LWB, but now have moved on to an Xterra! Just wanted to say hi.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 03/06/05 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by day42:
Lloyd, are you THE Lloyd that used to own a sweet Montero and frequent the Montero forums over on Outdoor Wire? Just curious. I, too, used to own a '90 LWB, but now have moved on to an Xterra! Just wanted to say hi.
Yep, thats me [Wave] I have a feeling more Monteros will jump ship in the next few years. Nissan is selling the kind of products old Montero owners dig, especially if reliability and strength come up closer to Mitsubishi levels. Kind of sad to see the end of an era. I drove Monteros since I was 18, started a club, tried to get Mitsubishi involved, had LOTS of good times...yadda, yadda...Its always hard to move on. But I met some good people at Gone, and began a fresh start. The 90 is being maintaned as best as possible(for 250,000 hard miles), and will still run more difficult trips like the annual Sierra Challenge for a few years, as I slowly funnel off mod money from the Montero to the X, and as 05 parts come out.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 03/06/05 08:52 PM

Hello,

I am thinking buying a 05 Xterra and I have a question or two before I get serious and sign the dotted line.
I reviewed the older posts regarding towing and the Xterra but I wanted to get somemore input.
Is any of the 05 Xterra models (S,OR,SE) better for towing? Has anyone had any issues with towing a car with their 05? I will be going the auto trans route and I saw posts about adding a trans cooler but I don't think I ever saw an answer if it will void the warranty.

Mods if this is posted in the wrong place please move it to the correct location.

Thanks in advance from this Xterra rookie.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 15/06/05 06:56 AM

Good to hear it's you Lloyd. I recently sold my Montero...it was on it last legs, and have been seriously considering going the way of the new Xterra. I agree that it has a lot of what we Montero owners thought a truck should look and act like! I talked my parents into getting a brand new Xterra and they have been very happy with it. So who knows, maybe in the next few months, I too will take the plunge. Good to hear from you.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 15/06/05 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brimaster:
Hello,

I am thinking buying a 05 Xterra and I have a question or two before I get serious and sign the dotted line.
I reviewed the older posts regarding towing and the Xterra but I wanted to get somemore input.
Is any of the 05 Xterra models (S,OR,SE) better for towing? Has anyone had any issues with towing a car with their 05? I will be going the auto trans route and I saw posts about adding a trans cooler but I don't think I ever saw an answer if it will void the warranty.
actually I am wondering the same thing. I'm looking at either an S or OR with the 5spd auto to tow my 3500lb enclosed motorcycle trailer. I'm coming from a 2000 ranger which struggled a bit with that setup. I'm assuming the added HP on the Xterra will make short work of the weight, but will the tranny handle the extra load without a cooler? will the additional height of the OR change dynamics at all?

I'm in a unique position because the dealer has BOTH the S and the OR on the lot right now, in the exact trim I want. decisions decisions....

thanks

- Jonah \ momentumphoto.net

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 15/06/05 09:36 AM

The extra height of the OR will not be noticable. If you thing you may getting into some fun situations... get the OR. If you have a hard time getting dust inside the X, dont want a single scratch on any bumpers or cringe at scraping your frames on rocks and stuff... you are not ready for the OR, so get the S.

The S is capable of taking you places that will scare the average person. If you have taken vehicles offroading and actually know when/how the locker, then get the OR. Otherwise, the S will be just fine.

On the topic of needing a transmission cooler... I have no experience and welcome someone else to pipe in.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 15/06/05 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:

The S is capable of taking you places that will scare the average person. If you have taken vehicles offroading and actually know when/how the locker, then get the OR. Otherwise, the S will be just fine.
Sadly, my wheelin' days are over. back in college I had an '87 Bronco that got thrashed every single weekend. it was modded to the gills so trust me - the thought of a FACTORY locker gets me excited. Problem is, I spend my weekdays at a desk job, and weekends shooting photos at racetracks all over the midwest. The only OR'ing I have time to do now is the grass on the infield frown

Still wondering about the tranny cooler. Anyone?

Thanks.

- Jonah \ momentumphoto.net

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 16/06/05 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by momentumphoto.net:
Quote:
[b]
Sadly, my wheelin' days are over. back in college I had an '87 Bronco that got thrashed every single weekend. it was modded to the gills so trust me - the thought of a FACTORY locker gets me excited. Problem is, I spend my weekdays at a desk job, and weekends shooting photos at racetracks all over the midwest. The only OR'ing I have time to do now is the grass on the infield frown

Thanks.

- Jonah \ momentumphoto.net[/b]
I tow quite regularly (boats) and have found the 05 X more than adequate. I assume your trailer is braked. Over the years I have found the most limiting factor to towing/GCVWR to be the master cylinder size/capacity of the tow vehicle's brakes. I do not run a tranny cooler. I would keep an eye on the rear diff fluid and change it more often (perhaps upgrade to synth) for regular towing. A properly wieghted and loaded trailer goes a long way to making a tow safe and comfortable.

In your case I would avoid the OR as it has a taller final drive, louder, less efficient tires, and a locker it doesn't sound like you'll ever use. The extra half inch of height on the OR is not a show-stopper. You can add the OR skid package to an S for less than $200. IMHO the HDC and HSA found on Auto ORs are not value added. For me the RF stereo was also not neccessary.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 26/06/05 01:41 PM

Quote:
You also get ultra cool, chrome Off Road badging, and that gives you even more traction Seriously, get the Off-Road package. Also lets Nissan know what we want! I love seeing S models littering the lot and not an Off-road to be found
Ha! I found lots of OR with the cool badge. Not one of them was 4x4! They were all 4x2. So I got an S with 4x4. I will add my own aftermarket stuff.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 23/07/05 08:36 AM

as far as a tranny cooler, I would definitely reccomend it. I tow alot; work trailers, jet skis, boat and it is just that extra peice of mind.
As far as voiding the warranty, the dealership has to prove that the cooler ruined the tranny. Since it is the purpose of the cooler to prolong the tranny it is almost impossible.
I got a high performance heavy duty cooler from Uhaul onstalled for about $120.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 25/07/05 08:06 AM

I have also seen plenty of new "off-road" xterras that were not 4x4. I have alot of experience off-roading (previous car was a modified wrangler), and when it came down to it, with the type of vehicle that the xterra is, behing not the most rock-crawling type of vehicle, the locker just didnt make a big enough difference. You can buy the skidplates pretty cheap later, and if you get serious enough to have a locker than you can get that too. Otherwise, I would recommend getting a 4x4 S or SE for the casual off-roader.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 30/07/05 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mars:
Quote:
Originally posted by momentumphoto.net:
[b]
Quote:
[b]

Thanks.

- Jonah \ momentumphoto.net[/b]
I tow quite regularly (boats) and have found the 05 X more than adequate. I assume your trailer is braked. Over the years I have found the most limiting factor to towing/GCVWR to be the master cylinder size/capacity of the tow vehicle's brakes. I do not run a tranny cooler. I would keep an eye on the rear diff fluid and change it more often (perhaps upgrade to synth) for regular towing. A properly wieghted and loaded trailer goes a long way to making a tow safe and comfortable.

In your case I would avoid the OR as it has a taller final drive, louder, less efficient tires, and a locker it doesn't sound like you'll ever use. The extra half inch of height on the OR is not a show-stopper. You can add the OR skid package to an S for less than $200. IMHO the HDC and HSA found on Auto ORs are not value added. For me the RF stereo was also not neccessary.[/b]
The 2005 S 4x4 comes with synth in the rear diff.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 04/08/05 06:42 AM

FASTDRMR,

You mentioned that the S could get the average person into scary situations. I'd fall into the average/occasional off-roader and am in the market for an Xterra and can't decide between the S or OR. I know I won't, or don't anticipate, rock climbing in it, but would like to be able to get deep(er) into the woods or thru sandy river beds with it and not have to worry. Will the S's 4lo be enough for those situations? I've never used rear lock before and have read where it's a great thing to have, but that you can screw up your truck if you use it wrong. Not sure if pro's out weigh the con's in my situation. I would like to be able to grow with the truck, so thinking even though I may not use the lock now, it might come in handy (or be something I wish I had) a few years down the way.

What about the extra skid plates the OR comes with........added benefit when exploring over rough terrain, right? Does the S even come with skid plates?

Thanks!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 04/08/05 07:07 PM

Took my first test drive today...and yes: I have to have this car! My question is this: S, SE, or OR? Is it really just up to the individual--or is it REALLY imperative to have one over the other? Money is always an issue--however, I plan on driving this many, many, many years. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to becoming a full fledged member once I buy--and hooking up with any groups in the Palm Springs area. Thanks.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 11/08/05 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by deafcorn:
FASTDRMR,

You mentioned that the S could get the average person into scary situations. I'd fall into the average/occasional off-roader and am in the market for an Xterra and can't decide between the S or OR. I know I won't, or don't anticipate, rock climbing in it, but would like to be able to get deep(er) into the woods or thru sandy river beds with it and not have to worry. Will the S's 4lo be enough for those situations? I've never used rear lock before and have read where it's a great thing to have, but that you can screw up your truck if you use it wrong. Not sure if pro's out weigh the con's in my situation. I would like to be able to grow with the truck, so thinking even though I may not use the lock now, it might come in handy (or be something I wish I had) a few years down the way.

What about the extra skid plates the OR comes with........added benefit when exploring over rough terrain, right? Does the S even come with skid plates?

Thanks!
What I meant is that the X, in either S OR SE models will go places the average person would never think to do. That said, going deep into the woods you will be fine with any trim. If you really plan to hold onto it for a long time and invest $$$ into building it up then get the OR. The locker is a nice benefit and very handy. I don't think you can engage it incorrectly and screw anything up, unless you use it in 4lo on pavement.

$$$ aside, get the OR if you plan to go the route of building up and exploring the backcountry. Enjoy!!! smile

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 30/09/05 08:06 PM

If you're going to tow something heavy, go ahead and add a tranny cooler. On a previous vehicle, I bought a kit at my local performance shop, and installed it in less than an hour with basic tools. Unless you install it wrong, it will only add life to your tranny. But if you really want to keep your tranny living for years, change the fluid every year. Not difficult to DIY, and not real expensive.

The new X should have no problem towing. My 2000 Nissan Crew Cab with its tiny 3.3L (170 HP, 200 ft-lbs) was also rated at 5000 lb towing capacity. It had no problems towing my camper, 4 people, a topper, and a bed full of equipment... oh, and a kayak on the roof.

As for trim model, well, that's a tough call. My dad opted for an 05 X with the S trim. I went for the SE. I do like the upgraded stero, trip computer, the power package is included ($900 option on the S), fold-flat passenger seat, but I could care less about the 17" alloy wheels! Both the S and SE 4x4 models come with ABLS (4-wheel Active Brake Limited Slip), which should help prevent getting stuck by applying the brake to a spinning wheel.

The locking rear diff on the OR package is nice, but the ABLS "should" do a pretty good job of mimicking that action. For all out rock crawling, you'd want a locking diff. Skid plates are a plus, but I don't think the factory ones are worth writing home about. Aftermarket ones are available. The OR comes with upgraded shocks, woo-hoo. The big benefit I see is an extra inch of ground clearance. Might be able to tighten the torsion bars and change the rear shackles... as done on earlier Nissans to gain a little extra clearance without spending money for a lift kit.

Whatever you buy, you'll love it. If you want to do some serious off-roading, you'll likely get a lift kit, get better skid plates, swap out the plastic bumpers for steel and add a hoist, and add bigger tires. No factory off-road trim is ever sufficient for anything serious.

Just my $.02

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 01/10/05 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloyd Swartz:
You also get ultra cool, chrome Off Road badging, and that gives you even more traction [Finger] Seriously, get the Off-Road package. Also lets Nissan know what we want! I love seeing S models littering the lot and not an Off-road to be found [ThumbsUp]
That last part's certainly true; I KNEW I wanted an OR 4x4 stick; checked the web sites of every Nissan dealer within 50 miles of me and found only three that matched what I was looking for and two had dark paint jobs....a no no in the Valley of the sun as far as I am concerned. Happily the third was silver and here I are!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 01/10/05 10:47 AM

Congratulations Hooli on the '05 OR [ThumbsUp] . Be sure to attend the Oct meeting for AZXC at Peoria Nissan Oct 21st at 7 pm. We've also got a trip across Northern AZ planned for the 6th through the 9th of Oct (Next week!) . Check out www.azxterraclub.com for info or use the link here on XOC.
smile

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 01/10/05 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Congratulations Hooli on the '05 OR [ThumbsUp] . Be sure to attend the Oct meeting for AZXC at Peoria Nissan Oct 21st at 7 pm. We've also got a trip across Northern AZ planned for the 6th through the 9th of Oct (Next week!) . Check out www.azxterraclub.com for info or use the link here on XOC.
smile
Thanks Dan, I'll try and make the meeting on the 21st; nearby and where I bought my X. (Think Brad, my service advisor's a member here.) Northern AZ trip's out 'cause I gotta be here to get warranty work done on motorhome.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 02/10/05 07:16 PM

I have a 2005 O.R I used my locking diff to climb over rocks im glad i had it

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 04/11/05 09:16 AM

I've had the 05 OR for about two months now. Here's what I really like:

I used the locker the first day I had it. Lots of mud here in NC and it's absolutely worth the $1500 and more on it's own.

The extra clearance. Every inch counts, even for mild offroading. Especially if you don't plan on doing enough to justify getting a lift, then getting and extra inch from the factory is a good idea.

Believe it or not, the "large loop" fabric on the seats. It's much tougher than the standard fabric, and it does a good job of making mud sit on top rather than penetrating the fabric, so clean-up is easier. On that same note, the rubber floor mats are very useful too. Something I would have had to buy anyway.

The skid plates are not really heavy enough for serious off road, as people have said. But for low-key off road they are great. Once again, you get adequate protection even though you can't justify investing in real armor. For me, they will have to be replaced, but thats a ways down in the list wink (need Shrocks sliders and a bumper first) so I realy like having at least some protection in the mean time.

Unless you go fairly fast off-road you won't notice the difference in shocks. I do and I can say they are a large improvement over the standard shocks, but they do ride rougher on-road.

All in all, the OR gives you one SERIOUS off road tool, the locker, that pays for itself. Then you have several advantages for people looking to do basic off-roading but not wanting to invest in a lot of mods. My .03 smile

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 05/11/05 08:42 PM

had my OR 3 days. already used the locker. the OR, I predict, would be easier to sell on the used market. enthusiasts seek out the special models.

the ABLS (automatic brake-actuated limited slip) gets the job done when running with open diffs, but the locker made my test hill a cake walk.

the wheels and stance are a nice look on the OR.

I like the base model steel wheel look too. the locker rear should be a line item option sans package for the other models.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 29/11/05 05:17 PM

The extra ground clearance from the OR is due to the larger tire size, not from more lift.

laugh

But, yeah - they rock!

laugh

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 29/11/05 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mike100:
had my OR 3 days. already used the locker. the OR, I predict, would be easier to sell on the used market. enthusiasts seek out the special models.

the ABLS (automatic brake-actuated limited slip) gets the job done when running with open diffs, but the locker made my test hill a cake walk.

the wheels and stance are a nice look on the OR.

I like the base model steel wheel look too. the locker rear should be a line item option sans package for the other models.
YES, that is true! I have bought used Monteros but ONLY ones with a stock locker in them already. Why pay the same for a base model rig then fork over 1,500.00 for a locker?

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 07/12/05 04:49 PM

Here in Utah I got a chance to drive both the SE and the OR on Off Road test drives. I took them up trails that I barely made it up. I'm talking beatings. I found that climbing was much more controlled in the OR due to the firmer suspension. The SE felt bouncy when trying to do a rocky hill climb but was still impressive. They both made it but I had to go faster and beat it up more to make it in the SE.
I am coming from the Jeep Rock crawling world and I'll I can say is these rigs are simply amazing even in stock form. I can not believe how well they climb and handle. I just bought me an 05 X OR and I am driving that. The jeep is parked and I might just get rid of it. Never thought I would say that!!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 09/02/06 06:33 AM

Hello, I've had an 06' OR for about a month and love it. I took it out yesterday on a very muddy trail, had it in 4LO and it made it through no problem. I just made sure i never stopped! I made it to the edge of the Ct River. I did see one section that I didn't dare but the OR does give an off-road newbie like myself alot of confidence. I'm sure the S is also capable, both have the sweet motor. btw- what are shrock(?) sliders and "new bumper"? I can't wait for bassfishing season, oh yeah laugh Dave H

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 18/02/06 09:42 AM

Having owned four 4wd vehicles, and waiting for my OR to arrive this week, the rear locker alone is worth the cost difference. If you get into a jam, engage it and you can move out of a situation that would otherwise have cost you the money of an off-road tow and the hours (days?) of waiting for someone with a winch. The price difference just paid for itself. The shocks, plates, tires, HA and HD are all items that will protect you, even in "mild" off-roading. IMHO.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 18/02/06 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GollumLives:
Hello, I've had an 06' OR for about a month and love it. I took it out yesterday on a very muddy trail, had it in 4LO and it made it through no problem. I just made sure i never stopped! I made it to the edge of the Ct River. I did see one section that I didn't dare but the OR does give an off-road newbie like myself alot of confidence. I'm sure the S is also capable, both have the sweet motor. btw- what are shrock(?) sliders and "new bumper"? I can't wait for bassfishing season, oh yeah laugh Dave H
Check Out Shrockworks.com click on..Nissan, 2005, Xterra, Sliders, Bumpers. At minimum Id get the sliders.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 24/02/06 11:55 AM

Even though the vast majority of my mileage will come on asphalt, I decided to go with the OR for the times I get away from it all. I didn't find the ride quality to be much different than the S/SE (though tire noise is a bit higher), and figured that while I might save a few bucks, in the long run I'd regret not having the off-road equipment when I really need it. The trade-off seems worth it for my needs.

I do have a 60-mile daily roundtrip commute, but I'm planning on adding some quieter, softer highway-biased tires for that, and saving the OR tires for just that purpose (such as when I make the annual pilgrimmage out West). My thinking was that it's easier to get the rear locker now, rather than try to add it later. Conversely, I reasoned that it's easier to "soften up" an Off Road with a simple tire swap than it is to "toughen up" an S or SE with a whole bunch of stuff later.

I checked the inventories of Western Nissan dealerships (particularly in CO) and found that the majority of their stock consists of Off Roads, whereas in Michigan ORs are seemingly quite rare. Since I travel to Colorado regularly for camping and fishing trips, this seemed like a good hint for me as to which model to choose.

Right here in Michigan, we get lots of people who run the Sleeping Bear Dunes on Lake Michigan in Jeeps and dune buggies and such, and I've heard that a locker can be quite handy in certain situations (though admittedly at higher speeds at which the stock locker doesn't operate, to my understanding).

I chose the Xterra because it is specifically intended for a higher level of off-road performance, and I took the "in for a penny, in for a pound" approach when I went with the Off Road since the slight on-road penalties are far outweighed by its capabilities in the dirt, at least according to the many owners that have attested to it. YMMV.

Oh, and I thought the OR's wheels were the best-looking of the bunch, which was the real kicker. :p

Next phone call goes to Shrockworks!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 24/02/06 04:13 PM

I vote OR.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/03/06 05:53 AM

i have the S model..
there nothing much different from the S and Off road.....
besides u can always upgrade it to a OR...

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 19/04/06 07:39 AM

pretty simple, if you dont plan on going offroad and dont need the upgrades on the SE, just get the S

if you are serious about offroading, get the OR.

if you are hard core about offroading and dont have the cash quite yet, get the X and mod it up exactly the way you want.

if you want a capable off road truck with some more creature comforts and touches, get the SE

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 22/04/06 08:17 PM

I disagree with the school of thought that says "if you're not going off road,just buy the S" I own an OR version and I love it. it looks more stout than the S and rides better. If you find it a little bouncy its because of the cheap tires that nissan puts on the truck. Buy Bridgestone Revos for it and you'll see a marked difference!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 22/04/06 08:21 PM

Also when you buy the base version you will have to spend even more money modding it with non factory tested and approved gear, which means you will spend more money, not to mention time and anguish finding the right components. Besides the Off Road is already set up perfectly for street and offroad use.
Why would you want to buy a new X and thenrisk the possibility of losing your factory warranty because You messed something up?

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 22/04/06 08:23 PM

To add to what I've said before the OffRoad also comes with all the necessary skid plates etc for Off Roadinf The SE and the X version don't

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 24/04/06 12:34 PM

You should be able to edit your own thread each time you want to add to it rather than posting 3 times... anyways, if you are going to do serious offroading then the OR skid plates are not heavy duty enough. They are there as a good starting point, its nice to have them YES, but do not consider them beefy enough for serious wheeling.

The SE and S do not have them... if you are going to wheel then buy aftermarket ones rather than the OR OEM ones. That's money better spent.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 01:24 AM

Was a hard choice to make...
I just considered the initial use I will have for this truck and it was in order commuting, hauling, up to the ski hills, out to the hiking trails, out to the mountain bike trails, fishing, towing, light off road fun in the sand and snow.
If you find that OR is in the top 3 then get the OR model. If it is 1 then get an OR and mod it. If you don't care about the factory options but will get updates then get the S.

I was really tempted to get the OR even with my needs ..er..wants.

Just a warning... I don't even have my X and I am already thinking about replacing the side rails with rock sliders and getting the skid plates, and ripping out the stereo head and putting in a nav-dvd.

Hmmm... then I'll probobly 'need' a locker...

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SE4X4:
Was a hard choice to make...
I just considered the initial use I will have for this truck and it was in order commuting, hauling, up to the ski hills, out to the hiking trails, out to the mountain bike trails, fishing, towing, light off road fun in the sand and snow.
If you find that OR is in the top 3 then get the OR model. If it is 1 then get an OR and mod it. If you don't care about the factory options but will get updates then get the S.

I was really tempted to get the OR even with my needs ..er..wants.

Just a warning... I don't even have my X and I am already thinking about replacing the side rails with rock sliders and getting the skid plates, and ripping out the stereo head and putting in a nav-dvd.

Hmmm... then I'll probobly 'need' a locker...
might as welll back out and get the or then w/o th rf stereo

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by s4iscool:
might as welll back out and get the or then w/o th rf stereo[/QB]
Well, actually not as simple. I actually wanted the 17 road wheels and tires as that is where it will spend most of it's time. If I want OR tires I'll get something larger.

Also in Canada only the SE came with Side curtain air bags and that would be hard to add later (no options here... who do these guys think they are .. Ford? [ThumbsDown] )

If there was an SE with locker and skid plates I would have bought it ... no questions asked.

Nissan is doing pretty good listening to customers needs, but I think they slightly missed this one.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 10:59 AM

S model, OFF ROAD letters added, Dastar lift, Timbren F&R, BFG 285 75 16 AT KO's Rear stabilizer and Mud Flaps removed, Shrockworks Bumpers and Sliders (Rear on order due 5 May) Facory skids, 1540 watt Sound system, XM, CB, Alarms, On Board Air to run Air lockers when they come out and Air up. , KC Lights on seperate switches, relayed. K&N Air filter. The Red stuff up top is a High Lift 60" and a shovel mounted with Quick fists for last 10K miles. I have a Roof Basket now, I don't know why, looks odd to me. And.... too many odds and ends to list.
Factory Skids easy and cheap to put on.
I like to order down and build up. Lots of vendor problems. Easy just to order OR. Real capable and better Gas mileage. I get 17 now.
MC

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 11:04 AM

yeah, it's cool...but no locker [Smoking]

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 03:00 PM

1st year for a locker, I decided to wait on ARB, Some people have had trouble with the locker. Besides, take a peek under the plate, 8000 lb MM Winch will get me out of any trouble I can get into. Always someone pointing out downfalls here. Post a pic of your Rig TODAY! So I can say, "But it don't have a winch!" Geeeshh!

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 27/04/06 06:00 PM

just joshin ya...someday my X will look like yours smile

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 29/04/06 02:00 PM

USMC XTERRA -

Your truck looks awesome [ThumbsUp]

mitt

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 30/04/06 01:44 PM

"just joshin ya...someday my X will look like yours" Thanks, But ya never can tell on XOC I don't post much here because of it.
"Your truck looks awesome." Thanks! I needed that after dumping all that ca$h! LOL half the stuff you can't even see!

MC

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 02/05/06 04:08 PM

Great post, I was looking for something like this. I was having a hard time between getting an 05 S in Red Brawn(yuck)or going for an 06 S. I think I am going to go for the 05, since they seem to be the same car, different year.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 02/05/06 04:19 PM

Quote:

What I'll be using my Xterra for here in FL -

carrying surfboards, carrying bikes, offroading, camping, moving junk, hauling ass (please see new engine specs), rendezvous w/ females, kayaking/canoeing, towing boats (maybe a trailer w/ a motorcycle someday), burning cash, pulling my friends Wrangler, tailgating, sleeping, carrying diving/ snorkeling gear... etc. etc.
For that go with th "S". You'll love your x.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 04/05/06 05:41 AM

I am a Jeep driver but have never wanted to play with it to much. I am getting a 06 X OR. My question is, AT or MT. I love the MT but ive never been ORing with a MT truck. What are the pro's and cons of AT to MT. Also what should the first Mods be for my car? tires ill be gettin but should i go SRS or Suspension or what? Ive never moded a truck and need help. This will be a majority road car but want to be able to have fun on the trails around East Tenn.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 31/05/06 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bwilli40:
I am a Jeep driver but have never wanted to play with it to much. I am getting a 06 X OR. My question is, AT or MT. I love the MT but ive never been ORing with a MT truck. What are the pro's and cons of AT to MT. Also what should the first Mods be for my car? tires ill be gettin but should i go SRS or Suspension or what? Ive never moded a truck and need help. This will be a majority road car but want to be able to have fun on the trails around East Tenn.
Off road the AT is better-especially when learning (infinitly low "crawl" ratio, less task loading on driver, etc.). I usually recommend armor and tires before lift. Then recovery gear. The truck should "grow" with your skill level.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 03/01/07 04:39 AM

Yeah - the AT is easier, just like ON ROAD. laugh

Armor and tires before lift...too early a lift, before you have calibrated your "OH SHIT!" factors, and you get into trouble off camber, etc.

I recommend a BL before getting the tires though...JUST to be able to GET larger tires, and, so that you can GET armor for the BL, like sliders, rather than getting the armor, and THEN doing a BL, so that the armor now has a gap, etc.

laugh

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 11/03/07 09:21 PM

I am probably 1-3 months away from being financially able to get an X...But the amount of time I spend on here researching you would think I own a fleet of them.

Something I've been questioning lately while debating between an S and OR, is would the OR be a smarter choice, if for nothing else, for resale value? It's hard to find a used OR here in CO, yet the S "litters" lots, as another poster mentioned.

Obviously the locker and imo better looks (fogs/wheels/badging) are a big plus when considering which to buy, but do you think the resale will be much easier and profitable with the "specialty" model??

Thanks for your input!

Oh btw, once i get an X, I don't forsee ever wanting to sell it wink

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 16/03/07 11:43 AM

Speaking as a 'neighbor'(WY), we started looking at the X(base) and worked our way up to the OR. We've had several Jeeps and wanted the off road capability, but with some creature comforts and strong highway performance(which the Wranglers lacked). The OR fit these wants/needs and more.

IMO, and my wife's, the $3,000 or so extra we paid is well worth it. We haven't found ourselves wishing we had this feature or that. Much cheaper in the long run to already have the OR features than to try and add them. Plus they are covered by the factory warranty. That warranty was a big plus(peace of mind) with our Rubicon.

From our experience of trading in a lot of vehicles, you get more money back trading in a higher level package(e.g. OR vs. S) than you do trading in a lower level with a lot of add ons that you have installed. You'd like to think that features you have added have made your vehicle just as valuable as if they came on the vehicle, but generally that's not the case when it comes to the bottom line you are given for your trade.

So get most of what you want from the start and enjoy it. You're always going to lose money(depreciation), but, unless you like to 'build your own', you are better off starting out with all the available features you want.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 30/03/07 08:47 PM

The OR rides higher and looks cooler...esp in black. wink

It is worth the extra cost for all the addtional features.

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 29/06/07 10:20 PM

huh, bah what are u talking bout? Check my X....

got 33s...Xterrains...K&N Air Charger/Flowmasters...sliders/armor soon...and OBA Later for after market lockers....

smile

Re: 2005 S vs. OR - 16/07/07 05:30 PM

I considered the Off Road model, but I eventually figured that I might cry if I saw a scratch- meaning it wasn't the model for me. For what I do (biking, skiing, snowboarding, sports, hauling crap), I love my S. Maybe when it's older and has a few parking lot dents I'll take it off road.