So disappointed...

Posted by: Anonymous

So disappointed... - 02/03/05 12:47 PM

Went and took a look at the 05's at the dealer...this used to be a back-to-basics SUV thats focus group was the Gen x'ers who needed a vehicle for the extreme sports....it is now becoming a friggin mini-van. mad Agreed...the bigger engine and convenient storage as well as the new fold down seat are great...HOWEVER...the switch for 4wd? the carseat belt in the roof in the back? the hand brake in the middle? Where are they going with this new vehicle? and why? I love the looks of the previous vehicle as well, I have an 04. I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....just wish they had kept their gonads and stuck to the original intent of the X and not followed ALL other manufacturers down the soccer mom road (not that their is anything wrong with soccer moms...but the x, in my opinion, should't be their vehicle...had to vent, I feel better now smile

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 12:53 PM

maybe nissan wanted to expand their market for the xterra, after all it is their cheapest SUV, more sales couldn't hurt.

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 01:21 PM

Just a matter of opinion. I love the new X and am a proud owner. I can't find a single thing I don't like other then that supid seatbelt in the middle of the ceiling. Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] I actually like the brake lever in the center counsol and that is comming from a former pickup truck owner with the emerg brake pedal in the floor. I don't see how those two items make it a soccer mom mobile. I personally waited unitl the 05s came out cause they have so many more features and fixes then the 04s which were very good vehicles too.
Posted by: fastdrmr

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nhk8e:
Went and took a look at the 05's at the dealer...this used to be a back-to-basics SUV thats focus group was the Gen x'ers who needed a vehicle for the extreme sports....it is now becoming a friggin mini-van. mad Agreed...the bigger engine and convenient storage as well as the new fold down seat are great...HOWEVER...the switch for 4wd? the carseat belt in the roof in the back? the hand brake in the middle? Where are they going with this new vehicle? and why? I love the looks of the previous vehicle as well, I have an 04. I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....just wish they had kept their gonads and stuck to the original intent of the X and not followed ALL other manufacturers down the soccer mom road (not that their is anything wrong with soccer moms...but the x, in my opinion, should't be their vehicle...had to vent, I feel better now smile
You are entitled to your opinion. Sad thing is that your opinion does not match the majority of the XOC community - pre 2005!

Poke around and you will see that every change, down to the locker was taken from this community and the real users. Take some time and find out why they did what they did.

You think it looks like a mini-van, that's fine! I personally think they did a great job! Thank you Nissan for listening.
Posted by: superjens

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 02:02 PM

Quote:
the switch for 4wd? the hand brake in the middle?
I dunno how these fit into your paragraph. What's wrong with having a switch? So what??

And as for the hand brake in the middle, FINALLY. I'm taking it you don't drive a manual? Sitting on a bouldery slippery hill, trying to get going again is a pain in the ass with the fucking handbrank under the dashboard. Besides, now when it snows you can just reach down and sliiiiiide your ass around those corners like weeeeeeee!

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 02:08 PM

In 99 the Xterra was what brought Nissan back from Death and when Fiat sent Ghosen over too for that matter. The automobile industry is changing. Off-roaders represent such a slim market segment, that Nissan must focus on the vast majority of buyers (all taken from data upon car sales). business is business.

This is exactly why the multi-billion dollar aftermarket exists. To fill the niche's, to cater to the customers who demand more from their vehicles (ie. XOC members). Nissan has built a better vehicle in virtually every dimension. The old X was a little small, this one is a little bigger. The old x was underpowered, this one has enough power...etc etc. XOC demanded a locker, Nissan put it in (again thanks to e-locker technology). Nissan designed a package for the "Off-Roader." Shocks, Lockers, bigger tires, 4x4 assit option...almost everything members do to their own rigs.

Yes, a button shifter for the 4wd might suck, but its a standard across the model line and prob the same part (cutting costs). If you dont like it, Atlas makes a great T-case and Advance Adapters will def. help you mate it to the trans. ALL YOU NEED IS MONEY FOR THESE MODS, just like Nissan needs money too, to produce vehicles and operate a multinational corporation. Auto manufactures think on a grand scale, catering to the masses whereas Specialty manufactures think on a smaller scale, catering to the niche markets. thats business.

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 02:17 PM

It is definitely all a matter of opinion, and again, just venting. I do drive a manual, I am happy for all the 05 owners, there are the pluses, but...again...opnion, I love the old X. I figured I would get a lot of feedback. In time, when this X dies on me, I probably won't have a choice but to drive the newer X. Just wish they had stuck to the basics as was the original intent.

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtbcyclist:
Just a matter of opinion. I love the new X and am a proud owner. I can't find a single thing I don't like other then that supid seatbelt in the middle of the ceiling. Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] I actually like the brake lever in the center counsol and that is comming from a former pickup truck owner with the emerg brake pedal in the floor. I don't see how those two items make it a soccer mom mobile. I personally waited unitl the 05s came out cause they have so many more features and fixes then the 04s which were very good vehicles too.
I am not usually opinionated about too much but for the diverse crowd of "X" owners, I think the quote of "Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] " is a little idoiotic. [ThumbsDown] mad [ThumbsDown]
Posted by: TremorX

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 03:54 PM

As much as I absolutely loathe the 05, I don't get your complaints.
Posted by: BradLee

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mytrophy:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtbcyclist:
[b]Just a matter of opinion. I love the new X and am a proud owner. I can't find a single thing I don't like other then that supid seatbelt in the middle of the ceiling. Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] I actually like the brake lever in the center counsol and that is comming from a former pickup truck owner with the emerg brake pedal in the floor. I don't see how those two items make it a soccer mom mobile. I personally waited unitl the 05s came out cause they have so many more features and fixes then the 04s which were very good vehicles too.
I am not usually opinionated about too much but for the diverse crowd of "X" owners, I think the quote of "Agree that it is just gay! [Rainbow] " is a little idoiotic. [ThumbsDown] mad [ThumbsDown] [/b]
Well I do have to agree. It is really [Rainbow]
Posted by: DocNo

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 05:05 PM

Quote:
the switch for 4wd?
Worked perfectly in my test drive

Quote:
the carseat belt in the roof in the back?
Uh, it's not for carseats, and it's also a new requirement by our government. Bitch at the NHTSA not Nissan.

Quote:
the hand brake in the middle?
Don't you DARE diss the hand brake - we finally get a real hand brake and you are bitching? Idiot!

Quote:
Where are they going with this new vehicle? and why?
Where we asked them to - you neglected to mention real improvements such as the spare tire tucked way up to improve the rear departure angle, nothing protruding below the frame to get hung up, the ability to have larger stock tires, FACTORY LOCKER, BIGGER ENGINE that gets BETTER GAS MILEAGE.

Seems like they were paying attention to me. You can't please anyone, but if your three complaints above are the best you have where were YOU going and why?

Quote:
I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....
Yup, soccer moms want rear lockers, stiffer shocks, improved dparture angles and box ladder frames :rolleyes:

Quote:
just wish they had kept their gonads and stuck to the original intent of the X and not followed ALL other manufacturers down the soccer mom road
OK, I still fail to see the validity of your point. An electronic 4x4 control, seat belt and parking brake in the center console do not make the X a soccor mom mobile :rolleyes:

Why don't you actually drive one before inserting your foot into your mouth.

Sorry, I just had to vent - I feel better now

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 06:12 PM

I'm starting to like this forum. Venting is met with anti-venting and followed with uber-venting. :-)

I think I know what he meant by not liking the switch. When I was deciding between the '04 and the '05, I was dismayed to see a knob controlling the 4wheel settings. Coming from a Jeep and a Land Rover, I enjoy the feeling of actually putting the car into 4hi and lo. But I've gotten used to this switch thing quickly.

As for the soccer mom thing...there's not a 3rd row seat in it or anything hehe. Although they *did* reduce the cargo room which kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I'd rather have more cargo room than rear seat room, but that's just personal preference. I care more about room for my dogs than my human passengers. :-)

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 07:51 PM

nhk8e ::: you've got to be joking!! ??

There NO way the new 05 X is too mini van’ish. You need to go test drive a few (mini-vans), and update your test vehicle reference points.

I like all of the X upgrades, while still remaining true to the X base character.

You should drive a Envoy, TB, or Highlander, they are too mini-van like.

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 08:57 PM

i mostly agree with you nhk8e!

seems the new xterra is being marketed more and more towards the weekend warrior city folk. they even mentioned in their website how cool it is "to rush past people on the 4 lane freeway on the way to the mountains".

the new xterra really has lost a lot of its original flare. it doesnt seem as rugged and simple as it was. everything got computerized too, with the 4x4 engagement, variable valve timing, electronic throttle, VDC, UDC, BCC, idiot controls yada yada yada...

the original xterra was made (or seemed to be) for people who just want the classic style sturdy built bare bones suv. it definitely aint that anymore! the price more than shows it.

once and awhile, i watch the promo video tape they gave out with the 2000 xterra brochures when they first came out (that cardboard thing) and realize how much things have changed...

What really gets me is that they have an OFF ROAD 2wd versioN of the new xterra!!! [ThumbsDown]

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 09:30 PM

you make a good point, im sure there are quite a few people who like to keep things simple but the majority of people just want more out of an SUV. It was inevitable that nissan used more innovation to build their cars instead of sticking to the same old plan. Did you really expect them to fall behind to competition? It's a new design so they needed new technology and new features to draw sales. Most people love new technology whether they understand it or not. In my opinion, It's one of the best and most affordable SUVs on the market. I mean comeon would you rather have a jeep liberty instead? haha

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 09:35 PM

I mean, here we go...

Simple and classy:

Chunk-o-matic 6000:
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: So disappointed... - 02/03/05 09:49 PM

Quote:
...Went and took a look at the 05's at the dealer...this used to be a back-to-basics SUV thats focus group was the Gen x'ers who needed a vehicle for the extreme sports....it is now becoming a friggin mini-van....
You got a '04 4x4 Xterra....I don't understand what you are Bitchin' about...Just enjoy what you have...and enjoy Life for crying out loud...

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 06:22 AM

I know that everyone has opinion on what they like and don't like. For instance, there isn't anything on the Chevy lot that you could GIVE me at the moment, yet I see tons of Impala's, Malibu's, Cavalier's etc. driving around. For me, the new X is awesome. I still like the old one as well, but the new one just a wonderful upgrade in so many ways.

Besides, what other SUV out there right now is as capable as the X for someone who has an active outdoor lifestyle or enjoys going offroading? Perhaps the Jeeps, but nearly everything else is designed for on-road comfort and mall crawling. Nissan really did a great job of listening to their customers and building a more capable vehicle. I respect anyone's right to have an opinion, but there really isn't much to compare the X to if you want a good, solid, very capable offroad vehicle that doesn't break the bank. And despite what some people are saying, the price hasn't gone up that much, especially when you consider all the refinements and additions.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 06:46 AM

price hasnt really gone up much

2004 prices (MSRP)
2WD XE 4-door wagon, manual $18,000
2WD XE V6 4-door wagon, manual $19,400
2WD XE V6 4-door wagon, automatic $20,400
4WD XE V6 4-door wagon, manual $21,400
4WD XE V6 4-door wagon, automatic $22,400
2WD SE 4-door wagon, automatic $24,700
4WD SE 4-door wagon, automatic $26,700
4WD SE 4-door wagon, automatic $26,700
4WD SE S/C 4-door wagon, automatic $28,000

2005 prices (MSRP)
4dr Off Road 2WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $24,200.00)
4dr Off Road 2WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $23,200.00)
4dr Off Road 4WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $26,700.00)
4dr Off Road 4WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $25,500.00)
4dr S 2WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $21,600.00)
4dr S 2WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $20,800.00)
4dr S 4WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $23,700.00)
4dr S 4WD V6 Manual (MSRP: $22,900.00)
4dr SE 2WD V6 Auto (MSRP: $25,300.00)
SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A) $27,300

the only price that is different unless you look at some of the base models, you also gotta remember the base 2004 xterra has a 4 cyclinder engine and the 2005 base model is more capable, the SE prices are about right on.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 06:46 AM

2001 XE
3.3L 4x4 5-spd

posted March 02, 2005 10:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mean, here we go...

Simple and classy:

Chunk-o-matic 6000:

I don't see what the problem is. The shapes are basically the same. The '05 looks more refined, aerodynamic and stronger. My roommate had a 2000 X and it was cool and very practical. It helped me move from my apt and I didn't have to rent a truck! I think the new X should be just as good. I'm tempted to do another test drive tomorrow when I get my oil changed!!!

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keg:
the only price that is different unless you look at some of the base models, you also gotta remember the base 2004 xterra has a 4 cyclinder engine and the 2005 base model is more capable, the SE prices are about right on.
But that's the whole point. They've gotten rid of their cheap starting point, aka, barebones SUV. Remember the "Everything you need...nothing you don't".

Well... Why do we NEED 260+ hp, with virtually no low-end torque, in a SUV? You NEED those numbers for a pavement pounding, carry the kids around but don't venture out into the wild, SUV.

Or how about a 2WD "Offroad" edition? Is that really "Needed"? You know what a 2wd "Offroad" vehicle is called? A tow vehicle...

Everything you need, and nothing you don't? Not anymore. That's no longer what the Xterra is. And that's what the griping is about. Where is the barebones SUV the Xterra was supposed to be? It's stuck in 2004, never to be brought back.

Just think. In a few more renditions, the Xterra will be bloated like the present day Pathfinder is, and then Nissan will have to make a choice as to which one to get rid of. Not only that, they'll introduce yet another "barebones" SUV to the market, and start the cycle all over again...

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 07:46 AM

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the whole 2wd "Off Road" edition. That's an odd choice. However, how many people actually bought an '00-'04 X 2x4 XE manual with the four cylinder engine? To me, that X is practically useless. Complete lack of power, forget about off road capability, you'll have a tough time in snow, and basically you've got an SUV body, but not the SUV guts. I'm sure there were people who bought them just to have an SUV, but sales had to be very low. I don't think I ever saw one of these on the lot where I live.

My dealer had '04 XE's dressed out almost exactly the same as my '05 S and the sticker price was nearly identical. Granted, you can get the '04 a lot cheaper now as they're trying to blow 'em off the lot. My point is, that the whole "everything you need, nothing you don't" concept is a matter of opinion. What I need may not be the same as what you need, and I certianly needed a lot of the refinements on the new X. The current lowend X is a little more money then the older model, but what you get for that money is well worth it. If you're happy with an old I4 engine, 2x4 X with no options, then more power to you. But name me one other true SUV out there right now that offers as much as the X at such a great price.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 08:44 AM

Quote:
What really gets me is that they have an OFF ROAD 2wd versioN of the new xterra!!!
Yea, its really great too, I like the blue fabric, the wheels are the best looking of the 3 models, and the bilstein shocks give it a great ride. I almost went for an SE until I discovered that the Off Road was made in 2x4. I aslo added the step rails as an accessory and it looks great [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: Todrick

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 09:52 AM

the irony here is that the '04 is much more of a pussidied soccer-mom-mobile than the '05

in 2000 the X was back to basics, everything you need, nothign you dont... '01's were ok, not much changed... then progressively every year they got more pussified and included more things you didn't need or want.

2005 fixes that

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
But that's the whole point. They've gotten rid of their cheap starting point, aka, barebones SUV. Remember the "Everything you need...nothing you don't".

Yeah, the 4x2 4-cylinder was a lame duck, and Nissan was right to drop it. Otherwise, base prices haven't changed much for comparable models as someone pointed out on another board:
The base XE 4x4 was $21,800/$22,800 (MT/AT) for 2004, the 2005 S 4x4 comes in at $22,900/$23,700 (MT/AT). In fact, the 04 SE SC 4x4 automatic, without additional options, started at $28,400, $1100 MORE than the most expensive 05 SE 4x4 automatic that comes in at $27,300 without additional options.

Well... Why do we NEED 260+ hp, with virtually no low-end torque, in a SUV? You NEED those numbers for a pavement pounding, carry the kids around but don't venture out into the wild, SUV.
Huh? Per Nissan: Powering the new Xterra is a standard 4.0-liter DOHC V6, rated at 265 horsepower and 284 lb-ft torque. The new engine ... has been specifically tuned for SUV and truck applications. Not to mention 90% of the torque is available under 2000 RPM, and Edmund's said "The 4.0 V6 provides so much bottom-end punch that it feels like a V8 has taken roost under the hood." I drove one, and while the gearing does eat a lot of the off-the-line punch, it catches up kicks in real strong real quick.

Or how about a 2WD "Offroad" edition? Is that really "Needed"? You know what a 2wd "Offroad" vehicle is called? A tow vehicle...
As I said before, it's a trim level, just like S and SE. If they gave it the locker, I'd feel the same way you do, but I see no harm here.

Everything you need, and nothing you don't? Not anymore. That's no longer what the Xterra is. And that's what the griping is about. Where is the barebones SUV the Xterra was supposed to be? It's stuck in 2004, never to be brought back.
You own a Frontier, what do you care anyway? How do you feel about the exact same points in relation to the Frontier? It has the same "pavement-pounding" engine with "virtually no low-end torque." It has a 4x2 "Nismo" Off-Road version, with a locker no less, some "tow vehicle" eh?

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 11:03 AM

I am extremely dissappointed with the new Frontier. And so my dislikes of that are directly ported over to the new Xterra.

I think Nissan is leaving it's mission statement, and starting to produce vehicles that cost more, but may (or may not; time will tell) sell more units. From a company standpoint, I completely understand it. But from a product standpoint, they're missing the boat.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 11:08 AM

Quote:
I am extremely dissappointed with the new Frontier. And so my dislikes of that are directly ported over to the new Xterra.

I think Nissan is leaving it's mission statement, and starting to produce vehicles that cost more, but may (or may not; time will tell) sell more units. From a company standpoint, I completely understand it. But from a product standpoint, they're missing the boat.
Ok... now you lost me. So why bother coming to these boards, no less an X board. Why bother???

Sell your Fronty, get a Jeep and leave. wink

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 11:18 AM

Well times change, and Nissan is trying to at least keep up, if not lead the way. I'm a new Nissan owner, so my observations are mainly from the outside (which is a good thing I think). I think the Pathfinder is a good example of what you're talking about. The Pathfind used to be a good, tough, SUV. It wasn't flashy, but it had decent room inside and was good on and off road. Now the thing is a beast. It feels huge when driving, and it's interior is darn close to feeling luxury.

It just seems to me that Nissan is shifting their SUV line up a notch, and maybe will add something else between the Xterra and the Murano. /shrug

I still think the Xterra ('05) embodies the rough and tumble outdoorsy image though...I mean heck the cargo area isn't even carpeted anymore.

If you want to talk about sad states of affairs in offroad vehicles, look at the LR3 vs. the old Discovery. I mean, my grandma could take that thing offroad now because they've made it so automatic.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 11:18 AM

Quote:
Sell your Fronty, get a Jeep and leave.
Ahh, no. Jeep doesn't make a truck. And they don't make a decent sport-ute, either. They make a damn good offroader, back in 1985, but haven't made anything worth spending money on, IMO, since then...

But back to the low end torque... I'm glad Nissan claims they get 90% of their torque below 2000 rpms. That's nice to know. But that was for the 3.3L V6, not the 4.0L. Here, look at the following dyno charts:

Stock, 2005 Frontier:

Stock 2001-2004 Frontier:

If you'll notice, the 3.3L hit +/- 200 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels, at 2900 RPMS. The '05 4.0L V6 doesn't hit 200 ft-lbs until around 3600 rpms. That's a pretty big difference, when you're pulling a heavy boat out of the water, or when you're hauling a lot of weight. Sure, more power is nice. But if it's not when you need it for truck functions, then it's just there for more speed, aka, pavement pounding, rice burning, waste-of-money power...

If you want to race an Xterra, then hell yeah the '05 is the way to go.

If you want a strong truck that's strong when you need it (low rpm power), then don't get an '05. Get an '04.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Morvran:
maybe will add something else between the Xterra and the Murano.
Nothing "serious" will find its way in there. The only SUV I see coming to the lineup would be the XTrail to compete with the CR-V and Rav4, and though Nissan has said it won't come here, I saw a post from someone that saw a blurb in a magazine that it was going to happen after all.
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 12:22 PM

I think its so ignorant to expect the Xterra not to change at all. If you guys wanted the X to remain the same for the 2005, then why don't you just buy a used '01? If I have never owned an Xterra before and looking at buying an SUV, I would buy the '05 in an instant. Bigger, better, more powerful than the old models. A minivan it isn't!

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 12:42 PM

Quote:
Ahh, no. Jeep doesn't make a truck. And they don't make a decent sport-ute, either. They make a damn good offroader, back in 1985, but haven't made anything worth spending money on, IMO, since then...
[/QB]
So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 01:34 PM

Quote:

If you'll notice, the 3.3L hit +/- 200 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels, at 2900 RPMS. The '05 4.0L V6 doesn't hit 200 ft-lbs until around 3600 rpms.
Are you comparing the S/C Frontier? Because the NA 3.3 only had 202 ft/lbs at the crank. The S/C 3.3 had 246. So unless that dyno is a S/C Frontier, that graph of the stock torque is not right.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kung Fu Jedi:
So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.
Exactly... Since the first Xterra is gone, there isn't a decent SUV on the market right now. Gonna' have to wait for somebody to wake up and realize that everybody doesn't have to have leather and a smooth, cushy, on-pavement ride...

Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 02:16 PM

Well, it's a shame you don't feel the X still fits the bill for you. To me, it's the only real SUV on the market right now. The 05 is a great vehicle that I don't regret waiting for and buying. I respect your right to your opinion, but I just don't agree with you about the X losing it's roots. If anything, I'd say it's still true to it's roots while providing even more capabilities. Besides the more powerful engine, I love the track system for securing cargo in the back, the new cargo area which is so much easier to clean, and the addition of the steps to get to the roof rack more easily. The undercariage is much more protected now for off roading, the extra space inside is welcome for me, and I for one like the new roof basket with the lid on it. I can understand someone not being partial to the looks of the new one, as that's an opinion, even if it's one I don't share, but it's pretty hard to argue against the added capabilities and functionality of the '05 X, and as I said earlier, it's not really at that much more of an expense.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 04:25 PM

prices are going to continue to rise, its called inflation, simple economic principle, its foolish to think car manufacturers will continue to make a decent SUV at $18-20k unless they can figure out a way to dramatically reduce costs. granted inflation is low right now, the price of steel and other materials has gone up, not to mention the fact that the price of labor is higher also. So unless the nissan plant in tennessee moves to mexico or china, dont expect to see a lowering of prices.

btw...the new xterra rocks, can't wait to purchase one in a couple more months.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 05:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.
Exactly... Since the first Xterra is gone, there isn't a decent SUV on the market right now. Gonna' have to wait for somebody to wake up and realize that everybody doesn't have to have leather and a smooth, cushy, on-pavement ride...

Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.[/b]
With a nick like porsche996, looks like your're seeking something the X will never have.

The X is slighty bigger, better engine, and more refined (although still cheap).

Looks like you're looking for a Jeep Rubicon which even the Old X can't beat for it's off-roading.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 05:52 PM

Looks like we are a little split on this, I agree with a few on here. Just feel in a way, that Nissan is selling out. I don't think they have yet, the 05 is a great vehicle with many capabilitiies, however, with some of the new features they are on the same path as all other SUV manufacturers. I was drawn to the Xterra because it was a back to basics vehicle that could provide for the needs of those that it was originially marketed for. I wouldn't want them to lose that, but I see it coming.

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 07:30 PM

In reality, the first generation xterra really was the last true old-school style SUV. The only one of its kind to include a 5-spd manual, rear live axle with leaf springs, dash mounted parking brake, 4x4 lever, and a carryover chassis from the previous nissan trucks.

Really, the first generation xterra uses almost exactly the same technology as the 1990 4runners when they first came out. I loved the 2nd gen 4runners for their simplicity and truck features, which is why the xterra turned me on for a newer truck.

Now though, nothing is the same anymore. We will never see another SUV with a floor mounted 4x4 lever, dash mounted parking brake and stuff...

Truly sad. frown keep your 1st gen x's boys because it really is the last of its kind...

Re: So disappointed... - 03/03/05 07:33 PM

Quote:
Looks like we are a little split on this, I agree with a few on here. Just feel in a way, that Nissan is selling out. I don't think they have yet, the 05 is a great vehicle with many capabilitiies, however, with some of the new features they are on the same path as all other SUV manufacturers. I was drawn to the Xterra because it was a back to basics vehicle that could provide for the needs of those that it was originially marketed for. I wouldn't want them to lose that, but I see it coming.
Actually the new X is even more capable than the old one. If anything, it hasn't sold out. They did go in the direction of more goodies, but it isn't at the expense of X DNA.

If anything I wish the X OR version was more like the Rubicon, and was ruggedized a bit more.
It really needs a rubber floor, some bottom dimaond plate trim, and 2" more ground clearance. It think then it would be a worthy OR without compromising all-around comfort.

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 06:26 AM

I’ve test driven & priced a lot of SUV’s, and with the X I see a lot of “Bang for the Buck” you’ve got good engine & 4x4 capabilities, without getting into too many unnecessary upscale amenities ie., NO leather, navi system, sunroof, 3rd row etc. etc.

Anything much less, would be too uncivilized for me.

For those wanting less & not more, sounds like a bare bones Jeep Wrangler may fit the bill.

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 08:49 AM

Quote:
Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.
I expect you to be one of the first to buy a Crosslander if they actually make it to market then...

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrible:
Quote:
[b]Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.
I expect you to be one of the first to buy a Crosslander if they actually make it to market then...[/b]
If they can build them reliably (in other words, if they don't break the moment it rolls off the lot..), then yeah, I'll look into them. Just don't know if I'd buy something from an unestablished company, especially w/ as many problems as their having just getting the finances in order to start building/selling the darn things. Not much worse than buying a vehicle, and then having the manufacturer go out of business in a year or two!

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tahoe_x:
I mean, here we go...

Simple and classy:

Chunk-o-matic 6000:
I don't agree. Top picture looks dated. The X looks more powerful with the 2005 updates.

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xray2:
It really needs a rubber floor
Kinda sad that the Honda Element has the interior that the Xterra should have had all along. Rubber floor, and waterproof seats...
Posted by: TremorX

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 01:42 PM

I don't think it's going to sell as well as the new Pathfinder and Frontier. They're MUCH prettier, and have more frills. I see new Frontiers and Pathfinders all over the place, but I haven't seen a new X on the road yet (at least not a post-production one).
Posted by: bburns

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 02:06 PM

Give it some time. Both the Frontier and Pathfinder have been on sale longer than the X. I've only seen X's on dealer lots in the last two weeks.
Posted by: pdanko

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 02:16 PM

To me the appearance all comes down to not having a slant on the rear windows. if the pillar between the rear passenger and cargo area windows was slanted the '05s would look pretty darn nice. With it being completely vertical it looks like a cargo van.

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 03:31 PM

You guys crack me up... they should have done this, done that... let them do THEIR work...

Go drive it, go drool over it. Good job Nissan!

Some of you guys with negative comments worry me. Why so much energy expressing how much you hate it and can't stand it. Just post in other forums where you can share positive vibes. If I could ban you from just this Forum - I would. It's getting old... I could name the 5 of you that keep posting crap!

Editted to add: I guess the name of this thread gives you guys a place to vent... go ahead... keep venting. I will just stop trying to explain the other side. (kinda reminds me of Ian's sig - Nobody's listening)

TremorX - what's up with you? Get out and enjoy the fresh air... they've only been out 2 weeks. I've already seen 1 on the road in a town that has only had 2 to 3 per dealership.

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 04:39 PM

I kinda agree with fastdrmr - I like the body of the '04 better than the '05. I havent checked the inside of the '05 yet but shit man, Nissan has to make some changes to it - they can't come out with the same thing every year. Some ain't going to like whats done, some will. But we can all agree on one thing and thats that the X is a damn good truck. I am overly satisfied with my '04

Re: So disappointed... - 04/03/05 05:29 PM

I guess I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I don't like the 4WD knob either, but then again I'm not in the market for an '05. If these modifications and changes to the '05 Xterra are what bring it a larger market share, I say good for Nissan!

I'm perfectly happy with my '02, and plan on keeping it until the day it dies (or becomes too expensive to maintain) which is why I'm not complaining! Just enjoy what you have, for cryin' out loud! smile

Re: So disappointed... - 09/05/05 09:16 PM

Excuse me for saying this Porsche996 , but if you want to heckle Xterras I think you're in the wrong forum. By the way I drove the Frontier Nismo pickup with A/T and loved it.I almost bought it! Except I saw thwe Xterra was a better value and had the sam VQ40DE engine.Horsepower and torque are a non issue since both have tons of torque and horsepower and since the VQ loves to rev, you get up into the torque and powerbands quite quickly and easily.Oh and by the way those lower gears, they come in quite handy for towing last time I checked and they help the engine to reach its sweet spot a little quicker.I am a proud and blessed owner a 2005 Nissan Xterra OFF ROAD edition and I love it.So please put your charts away and your heckling to rest and if you don't like the X or new Frontier please find another forum to heckle in and stop wasting all of our time. Thank You.

Re: So disappointed... - 09/05/05 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
......Go drive it, go drool over it. Good job Nissan!.....
No shit!

Don't get me wrong, I love my '03. However this dissin of the '05 is some ignorance.

I love this crap....

The new X is for soccer moms, right?

Well....

hmmm....

Why the hell doesn't your 00-01-02-03-04 have:

A real handbrake...

265 HP VQ engine...

Modular tracks in the cargo area.....

Lock-box up top.....

More rack capacity.....

a 4.5 inch suspension lift kit......

A f%ckin locker, be0tch?

Re: So disappointed... - 10/05/05 06:23 AM

I read some of this string. Alot of what the original poster said was opinon, and he was right about the 4wd knob. But why did he leave all the substantial improvements out? All the class leading stats? Or tell us what he is comparing it to? I Cant think of a single rig to compare it to for wheeling, in an SUV. BUT, the hand brake was his downfall, as that shows a total lack of 4x4 knowledge. Foot style parking brakes are stupid for a 4x4!

Re: So disappointed... - 10/05/05 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
[b]I guess the new focus group is the soccer moms....
Yup, soccer moms want rear lockers, stiffer shocks, improved dparture angles and box ladder frames :rolleyes: [/b]
[LOL] [Laughing]

Re: So disappointed... - 12/05/05 06:38 PM

mad I guess some people in this club like the uncontrolability of the 2000-04 Xterras.I'm sorry but I drove an '04 SE and did not like it.Every bump sent it jiggling all over the road like a vehicle sprung with rubberbands. The '05 (off road edition atleast)is alot less jiggly,has more power,better fuel economy and a much better driving position.i seriously believe that those who are heckling the new X haven't driven one and/or are set in their ways like old geezers who just like to complain,oh well misery loves company I guess.Wake up and smell the coffee.Aside from the somewhat scratchable interior,Nissan has done an incredible job of adding even more capability to the X.And yes I like the exterior, it looks BEASTLY!!!! Sorry I just had to vent, but I'm ok now smile
Posted by: superjens

Re: So disappointed... - 12/05/05 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Calibur:
mad I guess some people in this club like the uncontrolability of the 2000-04 Xterras.I'm sorry but I drove an '04 SE and did not like it.Every bump sent it jiggling all over the road like a vehicle sprung with rubberbands.
No offense, but it sounds like you drove a lemon. My slightly lifted 01 with no rear sway bar is steady as a rock over everything. It never, ever jiggles. Well, maybe some times between the lower part of the seatbelt and my manboobs.

Re: So disappointed... - 13/05/05 06:21 AM

Ive got to weigh in here, I own a 2005 S model, and it is not the first Ute Ive owned. It is the first one that could pull a greased string outta a cat ass, though. I've had International Scout, Isuzu Amigo, and now I've gotten the X, the X actually is fun to drive, thrifty on gas, has enough gidiup to getr out of its own way, and looks pretty good. Another upgrade that sold me on it was timing chain vs timing belt, that pushed me over the top in purchasing. I got 4X2 because I dont offroad much anymore having gotten my fill of it tearing up military vehicles for the last 22yrs, besides with most novices, 4WD just means a longer walk back to the interstate to find a ride and get a tow truck. Just Rambling sorry if it seems off topic.

Re: So disappointed... - 22/05/05 08:14 PM

Wow, there's just so much testosterone being exuded around here. I agree that the new 05 X corrects a lot of older problems, most notably the lack of power present in earlier models. I also like some of the other smaller mods, like the lack of carpeting in the cargo area. I really need to get out and test drive the new X sometime this summer, with grad school and work temporarily finished.

I will say, however, that I am glad I bought the '04 in August last year. I was debating pretty heavily on waiting, but to be honest, this 2004 is plenty capable as an outdoor vehicle for my purposes, and the 05 X in its most basic 4WD range has inched out of the price range I was looking at. I also am not entirely thrilled with the looks of the new X (the only colors I really enjoy are the black and night armour), but, as another poster pointed out, this is the new X and we must embrace it if we wish to eventually own another capable and outdoor worthy X.

And to the person who called the 2004 X a... what was it... ah yes, a "[pussified] soccer mom vehicle," for one, you never said which features you found to violate the "everything you need, nothing you don't" slogan. For two... the difference between my 2004 XTerra and a soccer mom vehicle is in the use of it- mine's generally covered in dirt and mud (not handprints), with an XOC label (not a magnetic soccer ball), a hitch that carries my bikes (the kind without handlebar streamers, thanks) and heavy duty floor mats that protect the inside from more than a spilled milk shake.

I guess I just don't get the trading of insults here... this starts with one persons opinion of the new X, that doesn't warrant labeling my 2004 as a soccer mom vehicle. As others have pointed out... to each his own. I love my 2004 X more every day that I spend in it, and am still getting used to the changes instilled in the new X. Does that mean I hate it? No, it means that I will grow to love it as I did the older X's.

Enough of the proverbial mud slinging, boys. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!!

Re: So disappointed... - 23/05/05 03:45 PM

GENTLE MEN,,,you guys sound like a whole bunch of p***ys. Why dont you make a convention or go to the feakin' mall an pick up some panties. All of you sound like a bunch of old ladies. I bet moset of you are going through the second puberty,,,mid life crises. what the hell is wrong with you. Next thing you know, the site will be devided into 1st and 2nd gen X owners. All Xterras are good. They are not equal, but they are equally good. One lacks here, the other lacks there, one has this, the other has that. Look how big this post got. Its ridiculous. If you got the money and time to spend your whole life camping out and off roading, than you are one lucky son of b**ch. Chances are though, You are not driving an Xterra and are just visiting this forum. For all the rest of us, we do work for living. I have owned three of these already, and I keep commming back for more, '01, '02, and now '05. Loved the 1st gen. It fit me perfectlly at the time. The crap I went to in those trucks, were amazing. Given that I had Bull Bars on them, but they literally saved my life. They were simple, rugged, and had potential. They were amazing... How many of you take highways on daily bases??? I do. The '05 beats the last gen hands down. We all have to eat and make money. One of my biggest and only complaints was lack of juise on the previous one. The highway ride just simply sucked. Now I can roll all my windows down and drive 70 mph, an not lose my had. For every complaint that the 1st gen owners have, I'll have a praise toward the 05. For every 05 that you bitch about, I'll have a praise toward the 1st generation. Just pick what you like, drive it and love it. Don't bitch around. Why don't You F**k Nuts put that energy toward something usefull. Don't you have a grass to moan or go pierce your ears and grow a pony tail. Take a damn tent and go enjoy what you have. Despite all the flaws that my '02 and '01 had, I loved them. Despite all the flaws that my '05 has, I still love it. And I put it to use, and I do enjoy it. And for all you haters, someone already posted it, you cannot beat a 284lbs of torque. Lets face it, you still have to take a long road in order to get to that piece of off-road heaven. Why not enjoy it, while getting there?

Re: So disappointed... - 23/05/05 04:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]So, who does make a decent sport-ute in your opinion? If it isn't the X or a Jeep, whose left that really makes a good SUV? Nearly everything else on the road is a luxury or cute ute.

Figure it'll be about 5 more years before another "back to basics" SUV rolls around. I don't know who's going to make it.[/b]
There is one comming out for the 07. The new TJ by Toyota. The looks do look apealing. We'll see when it comes out. But I hate Toyotas. The only ones that you will ever see me in, is a Supra and 4runner. Owned both.

Re: So disappointed... - 24/05/05 11:28 AM

[/qb][/QUOTE]There is one comming out for the 07. The new TJ by Toyota. The looks do look apealing. We'll see when it comes out. But I hate Toyotas. The only ones that you will ever see me in, is a Supra and 4runner. Owned both.[/QB][/QUOTE]

It's FJ Cruiser, which is likely to be available early 2006.

Re: So disappointed... - 24/05/05 11:57 AM

The new Xterra reminds me of a Civic also.. lol

Re: So disappointed... - 24/05/05 03:02 PM

For some reason that pic looks pretty nice. If there is anything I'd pick over the X, and its not just cause I am an X-addict, would be the TJ. But, I state this based only on the looks of it. We'll see when it comes out. If it comes out. The new Tundra, do also for the '07 (with '06 possible delivery) looks very sweet. The thing is that no one has time to enjoy life without having to have to work. The new X is a great car for all ocasions. If the off road wheeling is what you need it for, than a decked out wrangler or the previous X will do great.

Re: So disappointed... - 24/05/05 03:39 PM

The New "X". The 05 definatlty hits the mark on this modern turn of events to make every vehicle out there to have the same chassis and just a drop on a body. What is Nissan thinking. What are all you drivers thinking who like this wana be Trailblazer. I'm an 03 "X" driver and no one could smack the grin off my face when I drove that sucker off the dealer's lot. What a vehicle..... I drove that thing they call a 05 "X" and I just about cried. I thought to myself what am I driving? My brothers Tahoe? I couldn't even sense what I was driving when I was inside of it. A bad copy of a great machine. You see the same trends with Dodge and their new introduction of the Charger... 4 Doors??? What the huh. I would like to see dedication to what sells. Maybe they don't want us to get together anymore as clubs. Maybe their should be an 05 club and all us old school(who know what we are talking about) with our short existance of the best ride known to man and fast ourselves in our own club till Nissan produces our heavenly ride again. The Mustang Ford Fans have done it....

Re: So disappointed... - 24/05/05 05:07 PM

Here we go again. This will never end. Dude, why dont you read my post on the bottom of page 4. Stop bitching and go enjoy your X. No one wants to here your moaning. Both Generations are Great. Although my '02 is gone, I still enjoy my '01 and '05.

You would probably look really nice in white Granny Panties. Nagging Cry Babe.

Re: So disappointed... - 24/05/05 10:03 PM

True, I don't understand why people keep crying about the new Xterra. I think it's all about personal preference and it's useless to keep yelling. Be mature!

By the way, I like the idea of the FJ Cruiser but at the present time, I still can't picture myself jump out from it with a suit (ocassionally).

Re: So disappointed... - 25/05/05 02:07 AM

Here is my $.02 If you don't like the 05, you can still buy a new 04.There are quite a few left on the lots. If you like the 05, you can buy that. Whatever people like or dont like about the 05, it is here to stay. At least Nissan STILL makes a manual shift option. Almost no one else does. There ARE many options on the 05 to fit a lot of people's needs and wants. Just enjoy your ride, and have fun whatever year it was made. That IS what the X is all about..to get out there and have a riot doing it. cool

Re: So disappointed... - 25/05/05 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty X:
The New "X". The 05 definatlty hits the mark on this modern turn of events to make every vehicle out there to have the same chassis and just a drop on a body. What is Nissan thinking. What are all you drivers thinking who like this wana be Trailblazer. I'm an 03 "X" driver and no one could smack the grin off my face when I drove that sucker off the dealer's lot. What a vehicle..... I drove that thing they call a 05 "X" and I just about cried. I thought to myself what am I driving? My brothers Tahoe? I couldn't even sense what I was driving when I was inside of it. A bad copy of a great machine. You see the same trends with Dodge and their new introduction of the Charger... 4 Doors??? What the huh. I would like to see dedication to what sells. Maybe they don't want us to get together anymore as clubs. Maybe their should be an 05 club and all us old school(who know what we are talking about) with our short existance of the best ride known to man and fast ourselves in our own club till Nissan produces our heavenly ride again. The Mustang Ford Fans have done it....
It's this kind of garbage that brings these discussions to the basement. All you can do is view this from an crumudginy view of an old school vs. new school thing. "When I owned an X you couldn't just turn a knob to shift into 4-lo! You had to jerk a stick!!"" Great.

Let's put this into the perspective of a new X buyer. At first glance, a new buyer wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference between the two, aside from the front grill. I couldn't. I'd seen them around alot, but anyone who's ever bought a new car (and isn't already a car-person) will know that you don't notice little things about models until you own one. Then the new driver would drive both, and would be hard pressed to enjoy the older over the 2005 in terms of power. The s/c version would come closer, until the new X driver discovered that they'd have to pay for premium gas for a car that's a step slower. I would be very surprised to find a person, new to the X, who would choose an older model over an '05 if the price were the same. I'm not bashing the older models though, I'm just trying to look at this from a different perspective. I love the old X...the "basicness" of it. The utility of it.

But most of the negative arguments I'm reading in this thread are from people who seem to think that Nissan should have made NO improvements in the X, for infinity. They should keep everything the same, year to year. They should not listen to their die-hard customers who want lockers, skid plates, and better shocks built-in. They shouldn't listen to their customers, and the market, by introducing a stronger, smoother, and faster engine or a smoother on-road ride.

Get real.

Re: So disappointed... - 25/05/05 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TRIPIIIE X:
Here we go again. This will never end. Dude, why dont you read my post on the bottom of page 4. Stop bitching and go enjoy your X. No one wants to here your moaning. Both Generations are Great. Although my '02 is gone, I still enjoy my '01 and '05.

Well are we a wee bit pissy?
"DUDE" Your prior post virtually sucked. Why even direct anyone to review that? Suppose we should all zip our opinions up and sit on them. I thought I could voice my opinion because it follows the TOPIC in this discussion. And low and behold a troll lurks here. Well I have already voiced my opinion on the 05 "X" and that's it. Well have fun brusing anyone who posts a reply that does not see your view point.

Re: So disappointed... - 25/05/05 11:14 AM

"Let's put this into the perspective of a new X buyer..."

Well, I just happen to be one, so I'll give you mine. My particular need in a vehicle is for paragliding, which involves transporting 4-6 people (6 *very* friendly people, but hey, if there's a ride going up, you take it, never know if there'll be another one) and 300-400 pounds of wings up forest service roads at 9000+' ASL which are very steep, very muddy, completely washed out, or all of the above at once. The first gen Xterra never tempted me even a little bit, but this one did. The sufficient power for the above use and the stock locking differential were key.

As for all the other concerns I've read here ... get a grip, you whiny bitch. Not to mince my words or anything.

Re: So disappointed... - 25/05/05 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty X:
Quote:
Originally posted by TRIPIIIE X:
[b]Here we go again. This will never end. Dude, why dont you read my post on the bottom of page 4. Stop bitching and go enjoy your X. No one wants to here your moaning. Both Generations are Great. Although my '02 is gone, I still enjoy my '01 and '05.

Well are we a wee bit pissy?
"DUDE" Your prior post virtually sucked. Why even direct anyone to review that? Suppose we should all zip our opinions up and sit on them. I thought I could voice my opinion because it follows the TOPIC in this discussion. And low and behold a troll lurks here. Well I have already voiced my opinion on the 05 "X" and that's it. Well have fun brusing anyone who posts a reply that does not see your view point.[/b]
From what Im reading from you, you must be a really soft person. Mentally soft. Post all you want. Still does not change the fact that you are a whiny little b***h. I'm not gonna bitch out your X, cause I would never do that. An 'X' is an 'X'. But pussys like you make me sick. You wanna vent, go outside. Vent your pits. Although I think that you only bought the X to be another poser on the road. The Truck looks better than most, and it catches eye. Thats all for you. I also notice that you let your emotions take the best of you. We'll see what this post will do to you. Bet you got bullied back in school also. Oooh, Let everyone know what color of panties you bought.

Re: So disappointed... - 26/05/05 04:00 PM

Please reframe from personnal insults on the posts. Just sets a bad line on things. I apologize to anyone who was affended with my posts. I realize I affended the new 05 "X" owners. Did not mean to do that. I like the new "X" and my own 03 "X". I know I will buy a new "X" in the future and grow to love it. Just a little unhappy with some of the changes with the new modle. The +'s on the new 05 "X" do compromise the -'s Have a great time with your X's if it's 4 yaers old or an 05, 06, 07, 08,09 or the next millinium for that matter. No hard feelings guys. I know we need to get out of work and just go out and injoy or fabulios "X"'s. I think we all need a break from our hard work that pays for our excellent rides. Peace out fellow "X"'ers and for crist sake have some fun this weekend.
Your Dude the posser.. Ha Ha. [Smoking]

Re: So disappointed... - 26/05/05 04:46 PM

I'll drink to that!