funny noise

Posted by: Anonymous

funny noise - 10/11/05 01:25 PM

Ok, I have a funny noise coming from what sounds like the floorboard right under or near me. The strange thing is it's after the car has been sitting awhile (like when I drive it in the morning, or after work). The "clunk" only happens once when I get to 5 MPH then doesn't do it again. If I drive my car after I get out(like an hour or 2) no noise. It kind of sounds like when you disengage the 4x4 (well when I had my k5 blazer). Any thoughts??????

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 01:38 PM

sounds like the ABS reset

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 01:44 PM

is that something that I just have to "get used to" or is that something they can fix???

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by contenderv07:
is that something that I just have to "get used to" or is that something they can fix???
The ABS system does a calibration everytime you start and drive off. It mentions this in the owners manual.

You will have to get use to it.

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 02:03 PM

thats why I love this board, no BS, just straight answers, thanks guys

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 02:07 PM

Yep, that would be the ABS. There was another thread on this and the pages from the manual posted. It is an odd sound at first and you can even feel it in the pedal.

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 02:23 PM

yep thats the one. I thought I was just being a little paranoid (being a new car and all).

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 03:16 PM

ahha!

Re: funny noise - 10/11/05 04:26 PM

I started noticing it also soon after I bought the truck. I'd pull out of my garage and always at the same spot I thought I hit a loose manhole cover. Soon after I realized there was no manhole in that spot and then I found it by chance while looking through the owner's manual.

Re: funny noise - 12/11/05 07:50 PM

Thanks contenderv07 for posting the question as I was hearing the same thing in my X. Also as contenderv07 said "thats why I love this board, no BS, just straight answers, thanks guys" [ThumbsUp]

Re: funny noise - 13/11/05 06:35 AM

A variation on this is that I drove through a low water crossing. It was concrete that had a lot of moss/algae growing. Being curious about the behavior of the ABS, I lightly applied the brakes, knowing the wheels would slip on the algae. It made loud noises as if someone was hitting the wheels with a hammer. Is this normal? eek

I got out and looked underneath to make sure something hadn't come loose or I was dragging something. Everything appeared secure. No noise the rest of the trip.

Re: funny noise - 13/11/05 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra4me:
A variation on this is that I drove through a low water crossing. It was concrete that had a lot of moss/algae growing. Being curious about the behavior of the ABS, I lightly applied the brakes, knowing the wheels would slip on the algae. It made loud noises as if someone was hitting the wheels with a hammer. Is this normal? eek

Yep, the pulsating noises you were hearing and feeling are normal when the ABS activates.

Re: funny noise - 02/12/05 06:11 PM

ok ok I know I'm probably being a little paranoid, but I still don't like that sound. How come no other cars do that???? Can someone tell me where in the manual it says that it's supposed to do that????

Re: funny noise - 04/12/05 11:56 AM

well just to say i get the "clunk" to rigth as i turn out of my drive i hear. now im glad i browsed the sight and found out what it was. its kinda anoying though... o well dont matter to me

Re: funny noise - 04/12/05 05:15 PM

yea I guess I'm starting to get used to it, but why does it happen on the Xterra??? My fiance has an Altima, and no clunk. Is there any way to get rid of it???