Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating

Posted by: Hrd2Imagin

Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 10/06/10 11:50 AM

I was packing up my roof rack for a camping trip when I apparently screwed up my airfoil (or wind deflector). As I started driving down the highway, I heard a terrible noise like someone was pounding on my roof.

As a quick fix, I ran some duct tape along the front so wind couldn't get up underneath it and that worked. I then removed the airfoil when I got home after my trip.

I don't recall if there was a seal between the airfoil and the roof and I may have broken it, or I had just bent it out of shape (I was putting fold up chairs underneath it at the time)

Is there a seal between the airfoil and the roof? Can it be re-sealed? If so, with what? Any slick aftermarket parts I can buy? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!
Alan
Posted by: XOC

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 10/06/10 12:07 PM

There is a rubber seal on the airdam. Not sure that there is a replacement part or if you have to buy a new one.

Call Couresty Nissan and ask or check their site.

http://www.courtesyparts.com
Posted by: XOC

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 10/06/10 12:09 PM

looks like it is replaceable.. did a quick search on their site

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[73163U]+\%28wd22&cPath=532_14_67_68

You will have to copy and paste to get the whole url
Posted by: swampwrecker

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 10/06/10 06:29 PM

Here's the seal that you need. It's really gone up in price. I bought one about 5 years ago and it was only $6.00. You should put a little silicone adhesive on it to keep it from flying off. Once it starts rattling, it usually doesn't stay on too much longer.

-Michael
Posted by: e207

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 11/06/10 08:06 AM

they arent actually "sealed" though, are they? the air foil is made to be removed when/if needed. Mine has a very thin foam rubber type thing stuck to the roof, but it doesnt stick to the foil.
Posted by: slantyshanty

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 11/06/10 09:15 AM

Too bad you live on the other side of the terra, i have two whole air dams with the parts you need in my garage i could float your way.

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 11/06/10 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: e207
they arent actually "sealed" though, are they? the air foil is made to be removed when/if needed. Mine has a very thin foam rubber type thing stuck to the roof, but it doesnt stick to the foil.

The part I linked to is what gets attached to the bottom of the airdam, it keeps air from getting under the airdamn. What you are talking about is a thing strip of protective tape that protects the paint from getting scratched by the part I linked to.

-Michael
Posted by: e207

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 11/06/10 02:47 PM

awwww, Ok, never took notice to the airdam having something else on it. , .. another day, another something learned !!!

Re: Airfoil/Wind Deflector seal broken and vibrating - 12/06/10 05:08 AM

I was thinking you also had a 2000. In 2002 they changed the airdam. I don't think you have the part that I linked to. Courtesy only lists that part for the 2000-2001, so your thinking for your truck was correct.

-Michael