# 6 Spark Plug From "Hell"

Posted by: Anonymous

# 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 26/12/05 04:50 PM

I wish a curse of locusts on whoever engineered the six motor into the Xterra.
For those of you who have already replaced your plugs , this post is old news to you. Even with the help of previous posts on the subject, this job is still a royal pain. The #6 plug is a totally blind procedure. The combination of extensions and a flex joint is mandatory but it requires a small hand (or bloodied large hand) to guide it on to the plug. Surprisingly the new plug went in easily. However guiding the wire on to the plug is also a blind operation. I replaced the plugs with NGK Iridium and new NGK wires. The new plugs are a noticeable improvement in start up and smoother acceleration.
Posted by: TJ

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 26/12/05 06:19 PM

I posted that the trick is to use the guide pins on the engine that are meant to hold the tabs on the plug boots...they line up perfectly with the hole for the plugs...and the boot itself you are trying to insert down there has a little hole in its tab that matches the guide pin...meaning you have a three dimensional set of reference points, with depth, and alignment.

I can now get the plug on w/o looking (Used a remote robot camera the first time, and a mirror the second time...) by just using the guide pin reference points....(2) 6" extensions and one universal joint.

laugh
Posted by: PaulsX

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 29/12/05 10:24 PM

I concur. Changing that plug is right up there in the top 10 biggest pita jobs that I've done.

Good thing for inspection mirrors. [ThumbsUp]

On that note, I found out that the dealership that did the last tune-up got me good. I was in Iraq, my wife had to bring it in for the shifter plate and fuel sender recalls. While she had it there, she had them go ahead and change the plugs/cap/rotor and perform some other upkeep maintenance. (She supplied them with a set of Bosch Platinums like I told her to.)

Fast forward to me fighting to get plug #6 out the other day. Hey look, #6 isn't a Bosch plug. It's a VERY eroded NGK. I guess that the tech "forgot" to change that plug! Given the fact that the X has close to 90k on it, and this is only the second time the plugs have been changed tells the rest of the story.

There is some irrelavant discussion that transpired between myself and the service manager during the call that I promptly made to him informing him of the situation.

However, what I will add; be sure and double check any maintenance that anyone may have done at Coggin Nissan on Atlantic Ave. in Jacksonville, Fl. I'm now wondering whatelse they may have skipped over in previous visits.
Posted by: TJ

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 30/12/05 04:33 AM

And that's why I prefer to do my own work on the truck...rather than at the stealerships.

laugh

If you want to get screwed even better, try Jiffy Rube, etc....they are even worse.

If I bring it in for a recall/warranty repair, etc...I put marks on things before hand so I can tell where they've been....its settled a lot of agruments over the years....and, one of the reasons I stopped wheeling Jeeps.

laugh
Posted by: ocala X

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/01/06 05:05 PM

Well, I decided to change my plugs today. I guess I forgot to write down the last change in my manual. It had been around somewhere 60k since so I went ahead and upgraded to iridium's. #6 is a pita, but it does get easier the more times you do it. One thing that I did notice this time is the amount of dirt that was around the plugs. I couldn't see a few of the openings directly, but I still gave them a good shot of air before I removed them. #3 plug had so much caked/baked dirt around it that I couldn't even get my socket on it. I got a small plastic tube (from my fish tank junk) to stick down in there and gave it another good shot of compressed air. The dirt still didn't come out! mad I had jab a coat hanger down in there to break it up and then blow it out. Short story...if you do a lot of offroading, visibly check the openings and make sure all that crud is out of there before removing the old plug.
One thing I did try was getting one of my old pillows out and lay it right on top of the engine and did the job that way. Don't know who suggested that one, but [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/01/06 05:24 PM

I had a buddy of mine change my plugs to Iridiums. Because his hands were bigger than mine, he got a few bloody cuts. Thank God for mechanically inclined friends! smile

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/01/06 09:28 PM

I am changing mine this week and I am not looking forward to it.

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 03/01/06 01:30 PM

I'm about due. What's the appropriate extension / wobbly configuration to get the plug socket in there?
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 03/01/06 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
I'm about due. What's the appropriate extension / wobbly configuration to get the plug socket in there?
http://www.nissanoffroad.net/how_to/plugs/plug.asp

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 27/01/06 06:30 PM

I have to confess that being a Mechanical Engineer I have designed some hard-to-understand-why-the-hell-I-did-it-that-way machines and tools, but this #6 plug location beats it all. mad

Finally, after 2 hours of struggling with it, I got it. [ThumbsUp]

Here are a few hints that helped me remove and replace a 2003 #6 plug. cool

- Definitely use a small mirror to get to know where the plug location is so that you can aim the tool at it.

- Removing the hood helped a lot! Yes, I removed the hood OFF (only 4 screws, easy to do).

- The suggestion given in the previous post was helpful; YOU DEFINITELY NEED A UNIVERSAL JOINT! Otherwise it does not work without a universal joint!

- I found out that using only a 3" extension at the spark plug socket makes it easier to get through the nooks and crannies, instead of a 6" extension as mentioned in the previous post.

- You need lots of patience. I lost mine, and will sell the car before the next spark plug change (call me a pussy, but that's just me).

Good luck. You'll need it. smile

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 27/01/06 07:56 PM

I wonder how many #6 plugs never got changed when service was done at a shop?

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 27/01/06 09:23 PM

Every tune-up I do gets the #6 changed.

What I really find funny is when I get one in that has a miss, after they replaced the plugs.

#6 is usually found to be cross threaded and not firing correctly.

You want to talk about a PITA job?! Try rethreading that same spark plug hole to get the correct plug back in there.
Posted by: RJ

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 03/02/06 10:31 PM

Has anyone looked into the plug locations on the 2nd gen X? Are they hard to work on as well?

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 13/02/06 11:36 AM

How often should they be changed out on my X?
Posted by: silverxglider

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 13/02/06 04:51 PM

Onwer's manual says at 100,000 miles but people who have checked them sooner (like between 60,000-80,000 miles) have found it advisable to replace earlier. YMMV.

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 13/02/06 06:21 PM

I have 68,000 miles and pulled a plug, it looked great. I think I will wait till 100,000.

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 17/02/06 04:25 PM

Thank you for the advice, I guess I really need to change mine.

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 04:47 AM

...man I am scared now...my X has 178,000 kms on it (bought used 3 years ago) and I haven't changed the plugs since I have had it (100,000kms or so)...eek eek ...guess we will find out next weekend what will happen [Too much XOC] ...hopefully by doing it while I put on the 2" BL (if the snow ever stops) it will be easier....hopefully :rolleyes:
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoppy:
...man I am scared now...my X has 178,000 kms on it (bought used 3 years ago) and I haven't changed the plugs since I have had it (100,000kms or so)...eek eek ...guess we will find out next weekend what will happen [Too much XOC] ...hopefully by doing it while I put on the 2" BL (if the snow ever stops) it will be easier....hopefully :rolleyes:
If my calculations are correct that's about 110k miles... time to replace them - but not overdue.

It's also time to do the timing belt, cap, rotor, water pump etc. Get to wrenchin' laugh
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 08:29 AM

Actually, the 2000 (and I think 2001) came with the single-tipped platinum plugs that have a 60K interval...

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Actually, the 2000 (and I think 2001) came with the single-tipped platinum plugs that have a 60K interval...
brent, correct me if i'm wrong but i thought the 2001's were due for spark plugs at 100k (or was it 105k?) either way, if you're right about the 60k change than i'm overdue
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 08:46 AM

Brent would know... but don't feel like you've damaged anything by waiting too long. I just replaced my plugs at 90k and they were in great shape.

Oh, the stock plugs are NGK platinum by the way.

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Brent would know... but don't feel like you've damaged anything by waiting too long. I just replaced my plugs at 90k and they were in great shape.

Oh, the stock plugs are NGK platinum by the way.
thats good to know, i'm sitting at 73k right now, i'll pull a plug and see what it looks like anyways, but i could have sworn it was 100k or 105k for the 2001 and up, because i thought the package from nissan dealers was spark plugs, water pump and timing belt

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 10:58 AM

Quote:
If my calculations are correct that's about 110k miles... time to replace them - but not overdue.

It's also time to do the timing belt, cap, rotor, water pump etc. Get to wrenchin'
Yeah I know :rolleyes: , tranny fluid needs to be changed, new plugs, timing belt .... all equal money, so it can't all happen at once....hopefully yhe tranny fluid will egt done next wekeend with the BL install.....maybe new plugs too....the timing belt and stuff is gonna happen as soon as I get the money to do it......damn you expensive shit mad
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 02/03/06 11:46 AM

01 service manual makes no mention of single-tipped plugs. I'd say to be sure just pull an easy-to-access one and see if it's single or double tipped...

NGK has a value-series "G-Power" platinum plug that's a lot less expensive than the OEM ones and from a conversation I had w/ someone at NGK, they perform no differently. Not sure if they're available in double-tipped versions or not.

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 25/03/06 07:15 AM

Well, I must say, with the 2" BL, chaging the 6th plug was no harder then the rest.... except I had to basically sit under the hood to reach it....of course I forgot to check the gaps in the plugs last nigth :rolleyes: so I will have to go pull them out now but NGK G-POwer plugs are in....the old ones didn't look so good either [Huh?]

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 25/03/06 07:44 AM

Find someone with a spark plug kit from a R50 Pathy, i kept mine after i destroyed it into a house. It has two extensions that make this job very easy.
Posted by: ElectroKen

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 01/04/06 06:50 AM

I was putting off this task after reading the horror stories about #6. Now, after changing all of the plugs in 1/2 hour, I can say that the Xterra is FAR from the worst out there for changing plugs.

I'd like to add a few tips of my own to the list of helpful stuff already mentioned in this thread:

Make #6 easier my getting some things out of the way. Remove the vacuum line to the brake booster. Remove the bracket holding the throttle cables and move the cables. Even removing the plug wire from #4 helps.

Use the before mentioned 6" extension-universal-6" extension-plug socket setup to get the plug loose. Then get the universal and top extension out of there and use your fingers on the lower extension. Start the new plug using your fingers on the lower extension. If you can get 8 full turns on the new plug by hand then there is no way it's cross-threaded. Use the universal and top extension again to tighten the plug.

An inspection mirror definitely helps for #6. By all means use compressed air to get all of the crap out of the spark plug wells before removing the old plug. The odd-numbered side had tons of crap on the wells.

My plugs has only 51k miles on them and I'm glad I changed them. The gaps were at about 0.045" and both the center and ground electrodes were eroded. The replacements are NGK Iridium #BKR5EIX-11

Now for the old-timers out there (like me) I submit the worst vehicles I've experienced for changing plugs:

1) The late '70s Chevy Monza with the 262 V8. The engine has to be jacked up out of its mounts to get to #5 and #7.

2)1986 Chevy Celebrity with the 2.8L V6(my fathers). It took 2 hours to change the rear 3 plugs. Fortunately the intake manifold gasket failed and dumped coolant into the oil and fried the engine before it needed a 3rd set of plugs.
Posted by: BigTom

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 08/04/06 01:29 PM

In the process right now of changing mine. I've got 5 done! I took the hood off for the 6th, and still can't get the freaking thing in there. I will continue trying. Anyone ever see under the hood of an early 90s Saturn twin cam? Ahhhh, I long for that easy of a plug change!!

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 25/09/06 01:31 PM

I HAVE to bump this 'cause that little #%^$^%@'s suck a !@#&^%#@ @@##$ @#$#!%^$%!! [LOL]

Cyclemut, if you read this, I will give you a CASE of your choice of brew to do it for me wink We need to hook up anyway...
Posted by: LynnB

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 25/02/12 03:12 PM

anonymous post #647581 is exactly right--the tool kit extension from my '96 Pathfinder made #6 as easy as the rest. the aforementioned Pathfinder R50 toolkit is standard equipment '96-'01. ridiculous that Nissan didn't think to include the required tool in the Xterra.
Posted by: Jason's X

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 01/12/13 03:22 PM

Do you have a part number I'm trying to locate it online. 99540-A and 99540 are some part #'s I've found on line so far. Im gonna give changing my plugs a go very soon and have been following these threads for pointers. thanks
Posted by: e207

Re: # 6 Spark Plug From "Hell" - 01/12/13 04:52 PM

would it be this ???? http://www.courtesyparts.com/-c-4700_4701_4876_4885.html