Boulder experience (undercarrage damage)

Posted by: Anonymous

Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 06/06/03 12:26 PM

Damn "large" boulder jumped infront of me on one of my off roading adventures. Long story short....I managed to high center my X on a 2'+ high rock after running into it going bout 15-20mph. I was happy I wasnt seeing fluid of any kind leaking & after spending about an hour digging & packing other things under the tire it was free & still in driving condition. The next day I looked under the X & my gas tank is crushed up into the truck, my frame where it runs side to side is all bent & the vehicle makes a clanking sound when i take left hand turns kinda like its right under you if your the driver. My father-in-law said that it is probably a transmission mount that I busted. Anyone got any suggestions or comments???

I'll try & get some pics this weekend.
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 06/06/03 01:13 PM

Yep, sounds like you trashed a crossmember. Is your tank worse than mine?

Brent
Posted by: Rockaholic

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 06/06/03 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Yep, sounds like you trashed a crossmember. Is your tank worse than mine?

Brent
Brent,
is that what your Gas tank looks like currently, or have you had it fixed since the photo was snapped?

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 03:06 PM

The big dent at the front I've had since last summer, the smaller dents I got last weekend.

Brent
Posted by: Stonecoldchavez

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 03:19 PM

Brent,

What do you keep doing to keep hitting your gas tank underneath like that? confused

If you keep hitting your gas tank, are you banging your spring mounting perches too?

Stone
Posted by: XOC

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 03:21 PM

Quote:
The big dent at the front I've had since last summer, the smaller dents I got last weekend.
Here's a tip, get a skid plate and quit running into big fucking rocks.
Posted by: Snoopy

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 04:20 PM

I'm also confused...How do you manage to trash your gas tank so much?
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]The big dent at the front I've had since last summer, the smaller dents I got last weekend.
Here's a tip, get a skid plate and quit running into big fucking rocks.[/b]
$470 for three skid plates is cheap insurance! I still haven't whacked my gas tank, thank goodness!

A transmission is $1200+!!!
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy:
Damn "large" boulder jumped infront of me on one of my off roading adventures. Long story short....I managed to high center my X on a 2'+ high rock after running into it going bout 15-20mph. I was happy I wasnt seeing fluid of any kind leaking & after spending about an hour digging & packing other things under the tire it was free & still in driving condition. The next day I looked under the X & my gas tank is crushed up into the truck, my frame where it runs side to side is all bent & the vehicle makes a clanking sound when i take left hand turns kinda like its right under you if your the driver. My father-in-law said that it is probably a transmission mount that I busted. Anyone got any suggestions or comments???

I'll try & get some pics this weekend.
Slow the fuck down too! Going slow is the best and safest way!
Posted by: GrnXnham

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 07/06/03 07:08 PM

Quote:

Brent
Just curious, what is your fuel tank capacity now? Looks like you are down to about a 13 gallon tank!
:rolleyes:

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 08/06/03 10:35 AM

Nah, I'm down a couple of gallons, max.

I got engine/tranny and t-case skids a few weeks ago, gas tank skid is next on the list.
Ditching the load leaves and getting the Darlington shock-relocating u-bolt plates (with AALs) are also on the list, but I've beat my stock ones pretty hard and they're holding up just fine.

Brent
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 09/06/03 01:11 PM

I think I was blazed or tipsy.......one of the two. But my tank looks twice as bad (should post a pic tonight) But thanks!!!!!!
Posted by: Samueul

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 09/06/03 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daddy:
I think I was blazed or tipsy.......one of the two. But my tank looks twice as bad (should post a pic tonight) But thanks!!!!!!
Oh boy, are you admitting to being offroad and driving under the influence of some sort of substance??? Be prepared for flames......
Posted by: jbrionesX

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 11/06/03 02:48 PM

I did the same thing to my gas tank thru the factory skid plate... Mine was much worse, luckily the my sending unit wasnt damaged....My suggestion to you is to try to bang it back into shape...under the rear passenger side seat you can remove the sending unit and try to bang it back to shape its pretty tedious but it can be done...saved $300 for a new tank!

Good Luck!

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 12/06/03 08:14 AM

You really should caution that if he is considering trying to bang the tank back into shape, DO NOT use a hammer directly on the tank. Use a LONG length of 2x4 or something to reach down into the tank and beat the other end of it with the hammer. You definitely don't want the hammer to hit anything metal and cause a spark!

Brent
Posted by: jbrionesX

Re: Boulder experience (undercarrage damage) - 12/06/03 10:39 AM

Quote:
You really should caution that if he is considering trying to bang the tank back into shape, DO NOT use a hammer directly on the tank. Use a LONG length of 2x4 or something to reach down into the tank and beat the other end of it with the hammer. You definitely don't want the hammer to hit anything metal and cause a spark!

Brent
Draining the tank would also be a good idea~!