Sawzall question...

Posted by: spalind

Sawzall question... - 04/03/06 06:49 PM

I love finding reasons to buy new tools....I am removing what remains of my upper mounts for the rear sway-bar and part of the mounting for the spare tire carrier--not cutting the frame at all (in case any of you were worried!!) and I have tried my angle grinder--very slow, lots of sparks, ineffective...then tried my air chisel--deafening and doesn't really make a dent in the welds...

Just wondering from those of you how effective a sawzall is at cutting metal like this...Think I might be heading out to HD or the like tomorrow to pick one up if this seems effective to a couple of you....
Posted by: TJ

Re: Sawzall question... - 04/03/06 06:52 PM

I have a sawzall that likes to eat that type of thing...but you need the right blade or you will be dissapointed.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Sawzall question... - 04/03/06 06:55 PM

I have both, but I like the results that a wiz wheel gives better than a sawzall. I can get cleaner cuts. laugh
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Sawzall question... - 04/03/06 06:55 PM

What are you using in the grinder? A proper cut-off wheel should buzz right through that stuff in seconds...
Posted by: spalind

Re: Sawzall question... - 04/03/06 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
What are you using in the grinder? A proper cut-off wheel should buzz right through that stuff in seconds...
Hmmm...I dunno specificly...I believe just the wheels it came with...
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: Sawzall question... - 04/03/06 07:13 PM

I'll have to agree with Brent. I have these cut-off wheels for the angle grinder. It cut through 1/4" steel like butter. Works like a charm.

If you are going to go with a sawsall, get a carbide blade and keep it oiled when cutting through thick metal. I used them to cut my Camber bolt during the upper control arm install.
Those were grade 8 (or metric grade 9?) and a bitch to cut, but the carbide blade worked pretty well.

Good luck.