ARB Skid Plate install problem

Posted by: Richard Krenn

ARB Skid Plate install problem - 23/03/01 05:22 PM

I just tried to install my ARB skid plate and I can't get it to fit.

These two photos show how I can get it to fit, but it has a big gap at the top.

This photo shows how it looks if I get rid of the gap at the top, it now doesn't sit flush along the side.

This shows how I think it should look, but the support bar won't fit.

It appears the only way I could make it fit is to straighten out the bend a little.

Any ideas?

Richard Krenn

------------------
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 23/03/01 10:30 PM

Hmm.. is anyone else having this problem?? They made the "mold" from my ARB and did some test fitting on a few of the production units.. How big is the gap? Are we talking an inch or less??

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
TMTC (Texas Motorized Trails Coalition)Member # 653
KD5MQO

Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org
www.swxc.org

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 08:22 AM

The gap is about 1 inch and another half inch to the top of the frame. I think if the ange of the bend was less then it might fit. Where about was your support bar, at the back like the second photo or at the front like the third?

Richard

------------------

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 11:14 AM

I think I found the problem. The angle on the skid plate is 45degrees and the angle on the bullbar is 30 degrees (compare with the blue thing in the photo).

I guess it's time for the hammer

Richard

------------------
Posted by: XOC

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Krenn:
I guess it's time for the hammer

I guess it would be time to return it.
Metal doesn't like being bent more than once.

I'd get a refund.

------------------
Regards,
Ian
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 04:35 PM

Just installed mine this afternoon. Everything worked out OK. Took a little over an hour.

dave and Xtoy - with a new toy

------------------
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 06:59 PM

I will talk to Keith on Monday to see what the angle should be. Perhaps you got a fluke? who knows.. But if there is a problem I know that Keith will fix it. No need to get a refund.

------------------
2000 Xterra White
4x4 3pack w/xtras smile
SWXC Member# 2
TMTC (Texas Motorized Trails Coalition)Member # 653
KD5MQO

Carlton_McMillan@swxc.org
www.swxc.org
Posted by: kirby34

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 09:06 PM

It looks like Mosi didn't have any problems with his either or at least he didn't mention any.

jeff

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 24/03/01 09:12 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.
I actually have it at a shop and they will try and bend it back a 15 degrees. It is easier to do this than find a box and send it back. I'll let you know how it goes on Monday.

Richard

------------------
Posted by: imacsae

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 12/08/01 09:29 PM

So where did yall get these skid plates what are they made of and how much did they cost.

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 13/08/01 07:02 AM

imacsae -
I got the skid plate for my ARB bumper from:

Keith Fritts
5111 Gordon Smith
Rowlett, TX 75088

Phone(fax?) 972-475-3027

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the shop.
The plate is made of aluminum 3/16 in. thick.
A piece of steel angle goes across the lower section to prevent the plate from bending if you hit an object.
With shipping to NY the total was $64

dave and xtoy - big cheese grater smile
Posted by: SWXterraClub

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 13/08/01 08:24 PM

The name of the shop is Fabritron.

They make the ARB skid plate from 5051 Alumnium. They also make rock sliders. laugh

All the contact info is correct.

More on the way...
Posted by: soops

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 13/08/01 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:

Sorry, I don't remember the name of the shop.
The plate is made of aluminum 3/16 in. thick.
A piece of steel angle goes across the lower section to prevent the plate from bending if you hit an object.
With shipping to NY the total was $64

dave and xtoy - big cheese grater smile[/QB]

Dave, can you explain how the steel angle exactly helps prevent the plate from bending? Pardon me if the answer is too obvious
confused
Posted by: stormy

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 14/08/01 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soops:

Dave, can you explain how the steel angle exactly helps prevent the plate from bending? Pardon me if the answer is too obvious
confused

It looks like to me that the angle is to re-enforce (the bottom at least) the skid plate, rather than leaving the support up to the bolts only.
Does the make any sense?

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 15/08/01 05:09 AM

soops -
A picture of an ARB without a skid plate would be worth 1,000 words. Needless to say, that lower/middle area is pretty wide open. A good case could be made that the lower portion of the radiator is vulnerable.
IIRC, when Carlton was working with Keith on the version noted here, the first try - a flat plate of aluminum was not up to the task - it would bend if it hit an obstruction. The weight of the front of an X is substantial. So they extended the plate with an angled section and the steel bar to re-enforce that area.
I apologize if I got some of the details of the story wrong. In addition, there were some pictures posted of the development, but I can't find them now.

dave and xtoy - less than 1,000 words
Posted by: SEXterra

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 08/09/01 12:36 PM

Fabitron Eh?

Guys, does anyone have a better number for the people you got the ARB skid plate from? I've been trying to reach them all week (with the tele number provided above) with no success. I keep getting a generic voice mailbox. I really would like to pick one of these up before I bust out my radiator. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps they're all at GOX?

Kennedy
Posted by: SEXterra

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 10/09/01 08:18 PM

Update,
Called Fabitron today.
Kieth said he'd call me when it ships (COD only), I wonder how long this will take.
... and the cost is now 89 bucks plus shipping eek . I don't really understand a $30 increase in 6 months, but I guess it's worth it to prevent $1200 in radiator damage. Just wish I had bough one back when they were $55.

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: SEXterra ]
Posted by: gothamist

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 10/09/01 11:11 PM

Umm...dude...I wouldn't pay that. Make your own out of 3/16" steel, it will cost you 1/3 what you're looking to spend to buy the steel and have it cut, and you can have it right away.

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 12/09/01 03:04 AM

SEXterra -
Well consider this, the extra $ includes one of those beverage can insulators. I won't even get involved in the correct spelling of the things. smile
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=001193

dave and xtoy - what a deal wink
Posted by: Synchro

Re: ARB Skid Plate install problem - 13/09/01 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:
SEXterra -
Well consider this, the extra $ includes one of those beverage can insulators. I won't even get involved in the correct spelling of the things. smile
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=001193

dave and xtoy - what a deal wink

and we all know those things are worth $30. wink