oil change intervals

Posted by: buck

oil change intervals - 23/03/02 01:23 PM

Have a 2002 XE V-6 Xterra. Have had it only 2 wks.In checking the maintenance manual/schedule, it refers to first oil change @ 3750 miles/3 mos.Should I do the first oil change then or at 1000 miles. Thanks for your input.
Posted by: PismoTaco

Re: oil change intervals - 23/03/02 03:28 PM

I agree,, I'd do my 1st few oil changes early.
-Chirs
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: oil change intervals - 24/03/02 11:49 AM

I also agree. You can't go wrong with an early oil change.

dave and xtoy - off to a good start
Posted by: krisjon

Re: oil change intervals - 24/03/02 02:02 PM

I'd give it a 1000 miles or so and drop the oil out of it. That will help get rid of some of the initial break-in. After that, do it again around 3,000-3,750 or so.

I did that, then switched to Mobil 1 synthetic after roughly 10k...running smooth and purring like a kitten ever since.
Posted by: buck

Re: oil change intervals - 26/03/02 05:34 PM

Thanks for your input; however, is synthetic oil that much better? I would change oil and filter every 3000 miles. With synthetic oil what would the change intervals be? Thanks for your help..
Posted by: PismoTaco

Re: oil change intervals - 26/03/02 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by buck:
Thanks for your input; however, is synthetic oil that much better? I would change oil and filter every 3000 miles. With synthetic oil what would the change intervals be? Thanks for your help..
I wouldn't switch over to synthetic until 10,000 miles,, +/- 5,000 miles.

As for synthetic, yes it is a lot better.. You're really gonna get a slew of answers on this, but i run amsoil 0-30W for 25,000 miles/ 1 year and change my oil filter every 6 months. I have done oil analysis and oil is fine.
-Chris
Posted by: SquidlyX

Re: oil change intervals - 30/03/02 09:47 AM

I've had my X for 7 months now.Had the dealer change it the first time at 3200 only because we went on a 2500 mile road trip to break her in.Changed the oil again at 7500 but this time I did it myself and used Mobil1 5w-30 and a Mobil1 filter.5000 miles later changed again only this time used 0w-30 instead.With the 0w-30 the oil flows faster at start-up and don't get the annoying lifter noise.Also the engine seems livelier off the line.If Roger Penske uses the stuff it's good enough for me.
Posted by: DaveDatsun

Re: oil change intervals - 31/03/02 03:37 PM

As moderator of this forum I want readers to realize that using lubricants that do not match the manufacturer's specs can compromise your warranty.
If you are beyond warranty or don't care or know more than the manufacturer, than do whatever you want.

dave and xtoy - it's your ride
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: oil change intervals - 01/04/02 04:36 AM

If you use a proper filter with a good anti-drainback valve, you shouldn't get much if any lifter noise at startup and therefore won't feel compelled to use thinner oil (0W30) to get rid of this so-called "problem" which is harmless.

Brent