Replacing AC Compressor, HP Hose, and Drier HELP

Posted by: Anonymous

Replacing AC Compressor, HP Hose, and Drier HELP - 04/04/07 12:38 PM

Recently my 2001 Nissan Xterra SE V6 3.3L's AC stopped blowing cold air. Took it to a dealer and they said that the High Pressure Hose blew a valve which leaked out the refrigerant/oil which caused the AC compressor to lock up and the belt broke.

I've decided to tackle this project for learning and savings. I will provide my plan of attack and you guys let me know if you see anything wrong or if you can provide information or tips or things to watch out for.

Parts Ordered (Nissan Numbers):
92490-XT001 2000 to 2002 Xterra V-6 A/C High Side Hose (compressor to condenser)
92600-7B410 A/C Compressor
Filter/Drier (Can't find part number)
11920-00001 Belt - A/C Compressor 2000-2004 Xterra V-6 (except SuperCharged)
11720-00001 Fan & Alternator Drive Belt
11950-00001 Power Steering Pump Drive Belt

My plan is to:
1. Go to Firestone and have them do an EVAC on the system.
2. Remove the AC Compressor, Drier, and HP Hose (DOES ORDER MATTER?)
3. Reinstall the Drier, HP Hose, and AC Compressor and do not connect the power to the AC compressor. (What kind of refrigerant OIL should i use for the drier and compressor? I called Nissan and the service guy did not know.)
4. Remove the existing old belts (alternator and power steering)
5. Replace Alternator and Power steering Belts
6. Replace A/C Belt
7. Drive to the Firestone, connect the power to the AC Compressor and have them charge the system.
8. Turn on AC

Thank you for responding!
David
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: Replacing AC Compressor, HP Hose, and Drier HELP - 04/04/07 01:21 PM

Do you trust the dealer? If there's any question about that, get a second opinion before going forward. It may be nothing more than a hose (just had mine repaired in fact). The dealer may be overstating the problem. After all, they work on commi$$ion.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Replacing AC Compressor, HP Hose, and Drier HELP - 05/04/07 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dlaundre:
My plan is to:
1. Go to Firestone and have them do an EVAC on the system.

Will not be necessary. All the refrigerant is gone. (So you said).

2. Remove the AC Compressor, Drier, and HP Hose (DOES ORDER MATTER?)

Order doesn't matter.

3. Reinstall the Drier, HP Hose, and AC Compressor and do not connect the power to the AC compressor. (What kind of refrigerant OIL should i use for the drier and compressor? I called Nissan and the service guy did not know.)

Looking for my book, but we moved house. Get a set of "O" rings and replace them at all the joints you disturb. I would also get an "orifice valve too.

4. Remove the existing old belts (alternator and power steering)
5. Replace Alternator and Power steering Belts
6. Replace A/C Belt
7. Drive to the Firestone, connect the power to the AC Compressor and have them charge the system.
8. Turn on AC

Thank you for responding!
David
Posted by: xterra3202

Re: Replacing AC Compressor, HP Hose, and Drier HELP - 06/04/07 01:49 PM

start with the cheap stuff first. mine went out and there is a leak but the hose is expensive so i just replaced the coolant and two years later still works fine. if there is not visible damage to the belt well.....

the best thing is to start small and inexpensive and then work your way up from there if you need to.

like what was said above a second professional opinion is good to.

Good luck.

Tim