crankshaft pulley bolt

Posted by: Anonymous

crankshaft pulley bolt - 04/12/06 06:22 PM

It's well known that the crankshaft pulley bolt is put on with a tremendous amount of torque, but how much exactly? What strength of impact wrench is required to get this bolt off to change the timing belt, 400 lb? 600 lb?

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 04/12/06 06:59 PM

For the '00 - '04

KA24: 105-110 ft-lb
VG33E: 141-156 ft-lb
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 04/12/06 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ndxterra:
For the '00 - '04

KA24: 105-110 ft-lb
VG33E: 141-156 ft-lb
That's the torque you're supposed to put it on with.... doesn't mean it won't take more than that to get it off.

My crappy DeVilbiss impact wouldn't do it - even overdriving it with 120psi - but others have had good luck with decent (non high torque) impacts. If you're buying one to do the job, a 600lb would be a good choice.

I ended up doing the breaker bar trick with mine:: Get a long breaker bar & 27mm socket on there, tie the end of the bar to the frame on the passenger side of the frame, and bump the starter (i.e. start the truck - but just for like 1 second). It's scary - but it works great. (Tying the bar isn't completely necessary - I just did it to keep the breaker bar tight against the frame between when I got it positioned and when I got into the truck)

ETA: Also, you definitely want a harmonic balancer puller and some M6x75 bolts to get the balancer off. It can be done other ways - but the puller works great and you won't risk messing up the balancer.

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 04/12/06 08:27 PM

To get the bolt off mine the first time I undid it was to brace a breaker bar onto a large block of wood and then use the starter to break it free. IIRC you will need a 27mm socket.

Kaiser beat me to it.

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 06/12/06 08:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. After reading other threads on different forums about people having so much trouble, I think the 600 lb. sounds good.

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 06/12/06 05:54 PM

Just remember, the best air gun in the world will not do squat, if the air compressor pushing it is weak.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 07/12/06 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ebp_em1:
Just remember, the best air gun in the world will not do squat, if the air compressor pushing it is weak.
Not true... cfm doesn't mean a thing with impact wrenches because you generally use them intermittently - plus the better impacts usually use LESS air. Yeah, if you have a wimpy compressor you may find yourself waiting for it to pump back up sometimes - but we're only talking about breaking one big bolt loose.

I'll take a great impact with a crap compressor over the reverse any day.

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 07/12/06 08:15 PM

Then I have issues. I have a 1/2" Ingersol Rand Thunder Gun, rated at 625tq in reverse. When I use my craptastic compressor at home, I can rarely remove crank bolts.

Now if I use the compressor at work, I never have problems.
Posted by: dezurtrat

Re: crankshaft pulley bolt - 10/12/06 09:04 AM

I bought the professional impact wrench from home depot for around $120 dollars. daggerdoggie recommended it. I have a small 8 gallon compressor. I got the crankshaft pulley bolt off with no problem!