Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X?

Posted by: Argon

Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 06/02/04 06:19 PM

Ok, I'm trying to do some minor maintenance on my X, and I cannot find the PCV valve.

Also what do you guys recommend for 50K, checkup. I have only had to replace the front brakes, battery, rear shocks, and the ABS sensor recall.

thanks
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 12:43 AM

PCV valve is right on top of the intake manifold on the driver's side about 2/3 of the way toward the back of the engine. There's a hose that's about 1/2" diameter I think. If you have a replacement PCV you'll be able to identify it pretty easily.

For other things, you should probably replace all the driveline fluids, lube the front driveshaft, drain and fill the coolant system, and maybe repack front wheel bearings within the next 10K miles.
Posted by: Argon

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 07:50 AM

Thanks Chuck. What are you thoughts on changing the fuel filter?
Posted by: wordtothis

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 09:04 AM

changing the fuel filter is a great preventative maintenance measure. not to mention, when your fuel sending unit goes bad if you've kept up with changin the fuel filter, you'll have one more bullet to shoot at the Service guy that tries to pin the faulty sending unit on you.

all of the other things chuck mentioned are easy and way-recommended. [personally, i let the shop drain and fulsh the coolant, but that's because i don't want to worry about what to do with the waste.]

good luck.
david [Geek]

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 01:13 PM

Yeah, I forgot about the fuel filter. You should do that. I change mine about every 30K. I don't know if I ever want to change it myself again though; it's a real PITA.
Posted by: XOC

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
I don't know if I ever want to change it myself again though; it's a real PITA.
[Huh?] Huh ?

Pull fuse.
Crank engine.
Replace filter.
Put fuse back in.
Drive.

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 04:14 PM

Well, Nissan gave about 8 inches of extra hose on one end and the other one is a little stubby that is virtually out of reach unless you have the tiniest of hands. Add in the fact that there is still gas coming out of the filter and running down your arm to your armpits in the 10 - 15 minutes it takes to get the short hose off the end using pliers (because you can't get your hand up in there); not to mention the gas runing into the new flesh wounds from reaching up in there. At least I was more patient than Rrdstarr when he replaced his. I thought he was going to pop a vein in his forehead!

Maybe Nissan was more generous with the hose to yours?
Posted by: Kerensky97

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 09:51 PM

I did mine a few weeks ago and had the same problems. The first time I changed the filter it wasn't too tough but this last time it was horrible; the end of the short hose broke off and is half an inch shorter now.

BTW here's a pic of the V6 PCV valve for anybody who isn't sure where it is.
Posted by: rrdstarr

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 10:59 PM

Good picture Dustin! I have one exactly like that of ChuckH changing his. Fuel Filters are a BITCH! Hardest thing I have done on the truck so far! I would rather help install some Calmini tranny gears again then change that fuel filter!

I wonder if you could use that air "relief" hole to monitor intake vacuum pressure?

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 07/02/04 11:28 PM

The air relief is for priming the cooling system, so I'm gonna have to say no to using it for checking vaccuum. wink
Posted by: X-MAN-97

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 08/02/04 12:09 AM

I don't understand... I just changed my fuel filter, It is kind of straight forward, I just follow the service manual, except the fuse location is not the same as in the manual... People told me changing shocks is easy, but it took me a whole day to do front and back...
Posted by: Erik

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 10/02/04 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
Well, Nissan gave about 8 inches of extra hose on one end and the other one is a little stubby that is virtually out of reach unless you have the tiniest of hands. Add in the fact that there is still gas coming out of the filter and running down your arm to your armpits in the 10 - 15 minutes it takes to get the short hose off the end using pliers (because you can't get your hand up in there); not to mention the gas runing into the new flesh wounds from reaching up in there. At least I was more patient than Rrdstarr when he replaced his. I thought he was going to pop a vein in his forehead!

Maybe Nissan was more generous with the hose to yours?
I too said I would never change mine again. Something about having gas run down your arm, pouring all over the floor and into your new flesh wounds from trying to pull the old filter off.

But, then I found these (MaloCS & XOC your going to like this) from Harbor Freight

I think I'll try it again! laugh
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 10/02/04 10:30 AM

I found changing the filter to be a bit of a pain too. Not much room to work. Sure, it wasn't particularly complicated, just tedious.
Posted by: Lopaka

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 10/02/04 05:31 PM

If you stick golf tees in the ends of the hoses, you can stem the flow of gas leakage. Unfortunately, I have to confess that this was not my idea, but works quite well.

I see I should have read the service manual before starting this procedure. Remove fuse? Crank the engine?

I did neither of these things, but thankfully, my engine started right up after replacing the fuel filter.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 28/06/07 05:03 PM

Thanks for posting the photo! Speeded the replacement process up as I had no clue where the PCV valve was!

"BTW here's a pic of the V6 PCV valve for anybody who isn't sure where it is."
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Where is the PCV valve on the 2001X? - 28/06/07 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by X-MAN-97:
People told me changing shocks is easy, but it took me a whole day to do front and back...
You must be in road construction... or maybe you work at the DPS? Post Office? [LOL]

just having fun with you wink