Dumb Mexicans

Posted by: Big Daddy Chia

Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:17 AM

Just heard on CNN that at the end of the soccer game in Mexico yesterday that the Mexican crowd started chanting Osama Osama during the game.

Edited to add link

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/11/sports...&partner=GOOGLE
Posted by: NismoXse02

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chia:
end of the soccer game
matters :rolleyes:

You shouldn't call them "Mexican". That's racist. They have every right to call out Osama Bin Laden. Just let them be.

Signed,

A Liberal

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Quote:
[b]Jend of the soccer game
matters :rolleyes:

Shouldn't call them "Mexican". That's racist. They have every right to call out Osama Bin Laden. Just let them be.

Signed,

A Liberal[/b]
How is Mexican rascist. They are from Mexico They are Mexicans just like people from Italy are Italians, and Saudi Arabia are Saudis.
Posted by: Xterrian

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:36 AM

How is calling a person from Mexico a Mexican racist?

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:39 AM

Quote:
How is Mexican rascist. They are from Mexico They are Mexicans just like people from Italy are Italians, and Saudi Arabia are Saudis.
[Huh?] I guess you didn't catch the sarcasim. [Laughing]
Posted by: 2001frontier

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:47 AM

I did. Fuck them. So they are better than us at a game none of us care about. BFD. :rolleyes:
Posted by: daventx

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 09:59 AM

Still think Texas should take over Mexico, kick em all to South America and make serious tourism money from the beach resorts.

Oh and also they want to talk so much trash about the US but many of them or dying daily just to get over here.
Posted by: Auditor_Kevin

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 10:02 AM

You know what I would have chanted back?

"DRINKING WATER"

"DRINKING WATER"

"DRINKING WATER"

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 10:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]How is Mexican rascist. They are from Mexico They are Mexicans just like people from Italy are Italians, and Saudi Arabia are Saudis.
[Huh?] I guess you didn't catch the sarcasim. [Laughing] [/b]
Guess not. Should have tho with the signed a Liberal.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:

"DRINKING WATER"

"DRINKING WATER"

"DRINKING WATER"
Dont forget Drinking Water and Not shitting from it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:

"DRINKING WATER"

"DRINKING WATER"

"DRINKING WATER"
Good one. Sad to hear they made winning a platform to launch emotional and irrational sentiments. See what any country would say if they had two of their own planes crash into their head of state or major city. They wil be calling out to the US no doubt.

They have shamed themselves.
Posted by: imacsae

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 12:21 PM

Well soccer fans around the world are historically very unruly. I truly believe the "osama" chant was meant as an evilly tinged mock at the American team. Just a way for the crowd to try to break their concentration. But honestly who cares about the drunks in the stands.

Sounds like it was a good game although it was a thorough ass woopin. Although I strongly doubt we will have another 40 year period where the U.S. loses every match to Mexico. The ability to compete on the world circuit in a game that is not traditionaly American is a credit to the diversity of this country. By being able to tap into the talents of so many different people of differing backgrounds the U.S. can be competitive in any field.

Sorry to hear that you don't care about the game 2001frontier. It is the only game that is truly a world competition. Americans are famous for calling their teams world champions when they only compete against themselves and maybe canada. I do have to admit I don't watch it much but then again I prefer to play sports not watch.
Posted by: Auditor_Kevin

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 12:21 PM

Maybe we should host a winner takes all, total bragging rights soccer tournament with the rest of the world on the Moon. See who shows up for that one. smile

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 12:27 PM

Bring a baseball or football team from anywhere that can beat our professional championship teams and we won't call ourselves world champs anymore Ivan. :rolleyes:
Posted by: babyX

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
Americans are famous for calling their teams world champions when they only compete against themselves and maybe canada.
I've always thought that same thing. You're not competing against the world, you're competing within your own nation (sometimes continent). The point isn't whether or not the U.S. could spank another country's team (they could easily, I'm sure), but that it's not a world league. When you play against the world and win, you're world champions. When you play within your nation and win, you're national champions.

The notion can't be that hard to grasp.
Posted by: lemsip

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 12:47 PM

Football (soccer to the uneducated) is not a family sport. Anything offensive is chanted or thrown at the opposing supporters.

To the Germans: Two world wars and one world cup, laah laah

To the Argentines: Argentine, Argentine, whats it like to lose a war.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
Americans are famous for calling their teams world champions when they only compete against themselves and maybe canada.
I could be wront, but it's only major league baseball that does that. And why not? I was invented here, it's our past time and it's a given that no one is better than us professionally at it. Like Frontier said, bring someone here that beats us consistantly (no one time "miracle") and we'll gladly remove that name.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:00 PM

The NBA does it.
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:02 PM

Are you a limey, Lemmy? laugh

Nismo, the winners of the championships for the big four (Football, Baseball, Basketball and Hockey) all refer to themselves and are referred to as World Champions. It's just one of those arrogant American things.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by babyX:
The NBA does it.
I searched the internet and only saw "NBA Champions"... nothing about "World". [Uh Oh !]
Posted by: wordtothis

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:15 PM

and the crowd was...

AT A SOCCER GAME INSTEAD OF WORKING...AT A SOCCER GAME INSTEAD OF WORKING... AT A SOCCER GAME INSTEAD OF WORKING!

i agree with people overreacting when peoples are called out by their nationality. i could care less if someone called me an american, i am proud of where i am from. hell, i'm proud to be a yankee too [transplant] and who gives a damn about being called white, i am white, it's actually starting to be worse than anything else lately. i've actually had blacks get pissed when i called them african-americans, and latinos get pissed when i called them mexicans. you know, if you can't win, don't play find something else to bitch about and then realize that you are doing NOTHING, stop bitching get off of your ass and make some food, get the paper, run a mile, just DO SOMETHING.

david [Geek]
Posted by: Claus

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:23 PM

"Mexican Americans like education so they go to night school, take spanish, get a B"....

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]The NBA does it.
I searched the internet and only saw "NBA Champions"... nothing about "World". [Uh Oh !] [/b]
So maybe they changed it in recent years. So what? I've seen it in the past, and it's still a term used widely in the sports media:

From ESPN today: "The reigning world champion Lakers..."

Hardly.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:33 PM

Quote:

Hardly.
That would be the Spurs there, sports fan. You might have heard of them. They're in Texas.
laugh
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wordtothis:
and latinos get pissed when i called them mexicans.
Are you sure they were Mexican?

And not:

Honduran
Guatemalan
Cuban
Panamanian
Argentinian
Brazilian
Puerto Rican
Costa Rican
Chilean
?

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:38 PM

Hey, it's not my fault they don't put dates on those articles.

Hmmm... Dec. 6. Well, it's not my fault they don't put years on those articles.

The point remains.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
I did. Fuck them. So they are better than us at a game none of us care about. BFD. :rolleyes:
The ugly American rears his ugly head.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:46 PM

Quote:
and who gives a damn about being called white, i am white
Spoken like a true cracker ass cracker.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
[b]and latinos get pissed when i called them mexicans.

And not:

Honduran
Guatemalan
Cuban
Panamanian
Argentinian
Brazilian
Puerto Rican
Costa Rican
Chilean
?[/b]
Brazilians arent Hispanic they are Portugese.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:48 PM

Quote:
I was invented here,
You was invented here? That's great, Jethro. Ma and Pa must've put you together from used tuna cans and dental floss. Now go cook up some possum, you hillbilly.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:51 PM

Quote:
Brazilians arent Hispanic they are Portugese.
Ahem.... NERD!!! [LOL]
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Quote:
[b]

...That would be the Spurs there, sports fan. You might have heard of them. They're in Texas...
[/b]
Hey C'mon...
Posted by: electrobuzz

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:03 PM

Miss Universe. Now that's a real overstatement.
Posted by: GrayHam

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:05 PM

Posted by: MaloCS

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:07 PM

The only reason countries like Mexico can beat the U.S. on the "SOCCER" field is because as a sport, soccer is not the premier sport in our country. If soccer held the same admiration as football, baseball and basketball the U.S. would spank any team that dared get on the same field. Our country's level of athleticism is unparalled in modern day world athletics.

It's just like when the U.S. started losing basketball games to Eastern European countries. After living through those embarassing losses we decided to show the world that we are truly the BEST in professional basketball. We sanctioned the "Dream Team" and the world basketball honors have belonged to the U.S. since.

People will say that foreign soccer and hockey teams out perform their U.S. counterparts but I argue that U.S. soccer and hockey do not field our country's best athletes. Those athletes belong to the sports of football, baseball and basketball. This isn't saying that professional soccer and hockey teams don't have extremely talented players on their rosters. I'm just saying that our country's best don't play in those sports.

It always dumbfounds me when people from other countries whoop and holler when their professional men beat our amateur kids. This is akin to the New England Patriots beating up on a Division II college team. They should be ashamed of themselves if they didn't whoop some serious ass.

Yes, Mexico throughly whooped the Americans ass but what else would you expect from a country whose national sport is soccer. How would we look at the New England Patriots if they played the Division II Colorado School of Mines and didn't whoop their ass? That's why the U.S. was so surprised that our amateur kids outplayed and beat the Soviet professionals in the 1980 Olympics.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
Quote:
[b]I did. Fuck them. So they are better than us at a game none of us care about. BFD. :rolleyes:
The ugly American rears his ugly head.[/b]
Fuck you to comrad. [Finger] Anyone who would use UBLs name at a sporting event as a jeer is a fuckwad. Yes I am an American. I have a culture, and I like it. Sorry I am not as sophisticated as you Mr. Frenchy French.

Edited to add: Your statement was redundant. An ugly American would automatically have an ugly head. [Finger]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lemsip:
Football (soccer to the uneducated) is not a family sport. Anything offensive is chanted or thrown at the opposing supporters.

To the Germans: Two world wars and one world cup, laah laah

To the Argentines: Argentine, Argentine, whats it like to lose a war.
Hello. This is America. Football is fucking football here. It is played on a field with lines. You can touch it with your hands, and it is brown and oddly shaped. Soccer is soccer. Education has nothing to do with it.
[Finger]
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
[b]and latinos get pissed when i called them mexicans.

And not:

Honduran
Guatemalan
Cuban
Panamanian
Argentinian
Brazilian
Puerto Rican
Costa Rican
Chilean
?[/b]
Is there a difference?

It's like those Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. trying to act like they're not all Chinese... get me my freakin' eggroll and STFU! [LOL]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:26 PM

Is it too late to add that Mexico has no decent olympic teams because anyone who can run, jump, or swim is already here..
Thank you, try the veal.
[Smoking]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:27 PM

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:29 PM

Quote:
So maybe they changed it in recent years. So what? I've seen it in the past, and it's still a term used widely in the sports media:

Hardly.
I'd make the same argument about basketball like I did with baseball since no one can touch us at that sport, but I won't because they are the reigning NBA Champions. The media could call Syracuse the reigning world champions of college basketball, but that doesn't represent what the NCAA calls it.

If you're arguing the media calls our champions "world", that's fine. I won't argue with that. They're in a world by themselves anyway. But they do not represent the U.S. despite what they think and what uneducated people think.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:31 PM

Quote:
You was invented here? That's great, Jethro. Ma and Pa must've put you together from used tuna cans and dental floss. Now go cook up some possum, you hillbilly.
[Sleep]

Don't you need to go fight for Osama's human rights somewhere? [Uh Oh !]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:33 PM

Quote:
Hello. This is America. Football is fucking football here. It is played on a field with lines. You can touch it with your hands, and it is brown and oddly shaped. Soccer is soccer. Education has nothing to do with it.
[Finger]
[Spit] I believe they spell it "Futball" anyway... not "Football".

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b] Brazilians arent Hispanic they are Portugese.
Ahem.... NERD!!! [LOL] [/b]
State Geography Bee Finalist in Middle School. Geography is my fav subject.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:44 PM

Quote:
State Geography Bee Finalist in Middle School. Geography is my fav subject.
Ok, what's the capitol of Mozambique, sucka?

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]You was invented here? That's great, Jethro. Ma and Pa must've put you together from used tuna cans and dental floss. Now go cook up some possum, you hillbilly.
[Sleep]

Don't you need to go fight for Osama's human rights somewhere? [Uh Oh !] [/b]
Oh come on, that was a LITTLE bit funny...

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]State Geography Bee Finalist in Middle School. Geography is my fav subject.
Ok, what's the capitol of Mozambique, sucka?[/b]
Maputo

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]State Geography Bee Finalist in Middle School. Geography is my fav subject.
Ok, what's the capitol of Mozambique, sucka?[/b]
Maputo[/b]
How long did it take you to Google that Scott? [Finger]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By Kaiser:
Is there a difference? It's like those Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. trying to act like they're not all Chinese... get me my freakin' eggroll and STFU because I am a racist!
Wow! eek

You look good in white! [Finger]
Posted by: XOC

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:04 PM

Quote:
This is America. Football is fucking football here. It is played on a field with lines. You can touch it with your hands
Why isn't it called handball then ?

During a one hour football game, which takes 3 hours to play, I would estimate the football is actually in contact with a foot for less than one second.

How dumb is that ?

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:15 PM

...because it all starts with footwork. wink

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:25 PM

Quote:
Oh come on, that was a LITTLE bit funny...
[Huh?]

Man, why did this get moved here? frown Did the KKK picture have something to do with it? Oh well.
Posted by: oleblue

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELFTERRA:
...because it all starts with footwork. wink
So that's why it called football. I know it was with a smile, but then why is basketball not called jumpball?

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:44 PM

You don't have to jump to play basketball. You might get your ass kicked, but you can still play that way... [Freak]
Posted by: Uzbad

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
The only reason countries like Mexico can beat the U.S. on the "SOCCER" field is because as a sport, soccer is not the premier sport in our country. If soccer held the same admiration as football, baseball and basketball the U.S. would spank any team that dared get on the same field. Our country's level of athleticism is unparalled in modern day world athletics.

It's just like when the U.S. started losing basketball games to Eastern European countries. After living through those embarassing losses we decided to show the world that we are truly the BEST in professional basketball. We sanctioned the "Dream Team" and the world basketball honors have belonged to the U.S. since.

People will say that foreign soccer and hockey teams out perform their U.S. counterparts but I argue that U.S. soccer and hockey do not field our country's best athletes. Those athletes belong to the sports of football, baseball and basketball. This isn't saying that professional soccer and hockey teams don't have extremely talented players on their rosters. I'm just saying that our country's best don't play in those sports.

It always dumbfounds me when people from other countries whoop and holler when their professional men beat our amateur kids. This is akin to the New England Patriots beating up on a Division II college team. They should be ashamed of themselves if they didn't whoop some serious ass.

Yes, Mexico throughly whooped the Americans ass but what else would you expect from a country whose national sport is soccer. How would we look at the New England Patriots if they played the Division II Colorado School of Mines and didn't whoop their ass? That's why the U.S. was so surprised that our amateur kids outplayed and beat the Soviet professionals in the 1980 Olympics.
Ahemm... USA boycotted 1980 olympics, so they DIDNT win anything from "soviet professionals".. smile
They did however played nicely in World Championship prior to that.

I admire your patriotic feelings about it, but there are very few sports that States prooved themselves in SLC Olympic games either. And major of those sports is how to sue other's ass to get golden medals.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oleblue:
Quote:
[b]...because it all starts with footwork. wink
So that's why it called football. I know it was with a smile, but then why is basketball not called jumpball?[/b]
B/c you putting ball into basket? (and no you can not call football "gatesball" - Bill Gates will hunt you down smile )

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Why isn't it called [b]handball then ?[/b]
Ian, there is actually game that called handball smile
I might be mistaken, but thats the one they playing in pools.. VERY brutal game (as you can use legs to kick others under water, and yes - they do it and much more). So its taken too.
Posted by: KJ_dragon

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
The US Basketball Team lost pretty badly in the last world tourny.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 04:36 PM

Quote:
The US Basketball Team lost pretty badly in the last world tourny
Wasn't our best players either, but who's fault is that? :rolleyes:

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 05:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The US Basketball Team lost pretty badly in the last world tourny
Wasn't our best players either, but who's fault is that? :rolleyes:
Dunno. Who's fault is it. It pissed me off, I know that much. The Dream Team is no more.

It really doesn't matter though. Our Army can still kick your Army's ass. [Finger]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 05:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted By Kaiser:
Is there a difference? It's like those Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. trying to act like they're not all Chinese... get me my freakin' eggroll and STFU because I am a racist!
Wow! eek

You look good in white! [Finger]
He plays the banjo, what do you expect? [Finger]
Posted by: lemsip

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Are you a limey, Lemmy? laugh
Yeah, but I can't stand English football supporters, bunch of neo nazis.
Posted by: mineralblue

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 07:51 PM

I just think it's kinda odd how the USA isnt goin to be represented in Athens at the Summer Games in neither soccer nor baseball.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uzbad:
Ahemm... USA boycotted 1980 olympics, so they DIDNT win anything from "soviet professionals".. smile
They did however played nicely in World Championship prior to that.

I admire your patriotic feelings about it, but there are very few sports that States prooved themselves in SLC Olympic games either. And major of those sports is how to sue other's ass to get golden medals.
Ahem... The 1980 Winter Olympics - the year our AMATEUR KIDS beat your PROFESSIONAL MEN in hockey - was held in Lake Placid, NY. There was talk of a Soviet boycott in return for the U.S. boycott of the summer games but it didn't happen.

I understand YOUR patriotism but the fact remains that the U.S. is by far the pinacle of professional athletics in the world. No other country, including Russia, can compete.

Other countries in the world rule sports like soccer and hockey because those are two sports that the U.S. doesn't take that seriously. Therefore, our best and most talented athletes do not participate in them. If they did, there would be no question as to who would run the table in those contests.

That's not an opinion. That's a fact.
Posted by: Ramness

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 08:43 PM

You know whats fun? read the first page of any thread in the ALR then read the last 2, just to see how the topic shifts.
Posted by: BoneCrusher

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 12/02/04 08:49 PM

you guys whine an awful lot for adults.
Posted by: Origami Gangsta

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 03:05 AM

USA boycotted the Summer Olympics of 1980, not the Winter ones. Hence the "Miracle On Ice".

And it's actually spelled "futbol" in Spanish speaking countries. A game that has been around longer than American football by a long shot(yes, even I, football junkie that I am, concede that).

The bottom line is, lack of interest kills our ability to play "futbol". Because people don't watch, MLS struggles every year. The women's league fully collapsed late last year, yet the WNBA has managed to survive for several seasons now and is overall fairly healthy.

If people were interested, MLS could afford to give multimillion dollar contracts to the players like the Euro leagues do, and more people would take up the sport.

Anybody who thinks any country could be the US in football is out of their fucking mind. And if you really think Americans are the best at baseball(or hockey), you are out of your fucking mind too.

Please, if you're going to talk sports, know what you're talking about, eh? Why do you think I talk so little in the politic topics? laugh

And Kaiser, eat my ass. I'm half japanese, and I'm nothing like some chinese person. They are similar to an extent, but it's about as stupid as saying Brits and Americans are the same. [Finger]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 06:11 AM

I know you weren't talking to me, but I saw a few comments I wanted to add.
Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
The bottom line is, lack of interest kills our ability to play "futbol". Because people don't watch, MLS struggles every year. The women's league fully collapsed late last year, yet the WNBA has managed to survive for several seasons now and is overall fairly healthy.
Not to mention it's hockey without the ice and fighting. Some hockey fans just don't understand that.
Quote:
If people were interested, MLS could afford to give multimillion dollar contracts to the players like the Euro leagues do, and more people would take up the sport.
I don't think that would do it becuase we already will do that. Didn't a 14 yr. old get a huge contract like that?
Quote:
And if you really think Americans are the best at baseball(or hockey), you are out of your fucking mind too.
Not hockey, but definitely baseball. Now, if you take away the steroids... [LOL] [/QB][/QUOTE]
Posted by: MBFlyerfan

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 06:18 AM

I wish you guys would stop including Hockey as one of the sports the US is not good at.

1960 Gold
1980 Gold
1996 World Cup Champs (All pros in that tourney) Silver Medal in the last Winter Olypics.

Especially recently, The US is no slouch at hockey.

And if you still dont think we are the best at baseball, you are fooling yourself. That team that lost was made up of college kids and minor leaguers. They pummeled teams consistantly and then lost the game that mattered 2-1 or something like that.

You put the best american pro's together and that team wins 9 of 10 every time.
Posted by: ashleynatlanta

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 08:02 AM

Talk about a sport that is glorious to watch, and is as extreme as almost any event other than marathon is pro cycling. In Europe, pro cycling is as popular as anything here is, and yet the US gives it no coverage at all except the bit OLN does.

Since I got turned on to pro cycling about 5-6 years ago, I have been in love with the sport. It really requires a level of skill and strength that is only rivaled by the best athletes in the world.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ashleynatlanta:
Since I got turned on to pro cycling about 5-6 years ago, I have been in love with the sport. It really requires a level of skill and strength that is only rivaled by the best athletes in the world.
Maybe that's the problem to all this America vs. the world talk. What is considered a "sport"? Pro-cycling, NASCAR, golf, figure skating, curling, etc. all claim to be sports, but many will argue against that and for good reason. I guess that's a whole other topic altogether.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
And if you really think Americans are the best at baseball(or hockey), you are out of your fucking mind too.
I disagree with you concerning baseball. Any athlete from another country that is worth a damn in the sport of baseball is here in the U.S. playing MLB.

People see the FEW Japanese or Korean superstars make the transition to MLB and they assume the entire country is made up of 105mph fastball pithers. The fact is that any foreign athlete that has the skills to play professional sports in the U.S. is already here. As a whole, those countries professional teams wouldn't be able to stand up to our professional teams.

Granted, Latin American teams turn out some of MLBs best and most talented. Again, as a whole, their teams wouldn't be able to compete with ours. The only team based sports that I have seen our professionals struggle against the world's are Hockey and Soccer. Read my ealier posts explaining why.
Posted by: Origami Gangsta

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 10:17 AM

While some of you make valid points, you also have to realize the system here. The US puts billions into developing baseball players here. There is so much money at stake it's absurd. They don't do that in other countries.

I'd be willing to wager if Cuba or the Dominican Republic put in the same amount of money that America does into developing their baseball players, the US wouldn't be alone on top of the pedestal.

Not to mention in those countries most players don't have the luxury of playing for a living, cause they make jack shit. They have to bust their ass doing something else to put food on the table for their family, not playing a game. Hence why their top talent tries to come here. Several of the best players in the game today are not American.

Am I saying that America is not ONE of the best in hockey or baseball? Absolutely not. They are ONE of the best. But not the best. It's not undisputed, like in football.

And speaking of the whole "world champion debate", why are the NHL and NBA called "National" leagues when they have franchises outside the country in Canada? confused
Posted by: Bucweet X

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 11:35 AM

What happens to all those kids riding around in the soccer mom driven SUV's?

Soccer seems to have emerged as a strong pastime for the youth of this country, yet the appeal seems to wane after the middle/junior high years.

I've always been curious, since the popularity is there early on, why doesn't that popularity continue on to the high school, college, and pro ranks for U.S. kids?
Posted by: bennet

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucweet X:
What happens to all those kids riding around in the soccer mom driven SUV's?

Soccer seems to have emerged as a strong pastime for the youth of this country, yet the appeal seems to wane after the middle/junior high years.

I've always been curious, since the popularity is there early on, why doesn't that popularity continue on to the high school, college, and pro ranks for U.S. kids?
Because it (youth soccer) has just emerged relatively recently (last 15 years, really taken off in last 7 years). The high schools are kind of locked into the traditional sports program such as (American) football and baseball, and they are slow to develop their soccer programs. But those soccer programs are growing.

At the schools, there is a lot of infrastructure tied up into the traditional sports programs of football and baseball (fields, equipment, personnel, schedules, tournaments, playoffs, mom and dad's and other donors' money (who probably never played soccer), etc.). So new sports programs have to "work around" the other established programs. Result is that the new programs are slow to grow. But they are definitely growing. Soccer will be a strong high school sport in the future, I believe.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 11:56 AM

Soccer is a second tier sport at the high school, college and professional levels in America and as long as there are the big four it allways will be. Currently this is the second attempt at professional soccer in America. They tried it before with a group of big name hasbens at the end of their carrers and that failed as well. It was a niche effort but in the end it folded because no one really cared.

The trickle down effect from the telivision exposure from the big four major league sports dominates the descision making process of youth athletes. Once a kid who is an elite athlete reaches the end of middle school or junior high school he is more or less required to select a sport as a primary concentration.

Often there are duel sport athletes, such as Tony Gonzales or a Charlie Ward that are able to excell but for the most part, once you have a kid involved in club or select leagues and private coaches along with school participation there isn't much time left for much else.

Kids see players on TV and they want to be like them. Very few kids dream of growing up and being a star in Italy or England. They want to be famous in America. They want to play in front of their family and friends and they want to be able to turn on their TV and see their highlights. When was the last time you saw any Premier League highlights on ESPN?

As they progress through their athletic careers they make choices not only on what they enjoy most or are best at, but are also influenced by Nike, Addidas and the other companies that are sponsoring tournaments and programs.

And as those kids see the perks of participating in a high exposure sport they want the benefits. They posess a dream of playing big time sports, getting a college scholarship and playing in front of tousands of people and ultimately reaping the rewards of the ultimate big payday in professional leagues.

Right now the MLS or even college soccer for that matter, does not offer the same big time financial rewards offered by the other sports. In Europe and South America, soccer players are put on the same pedestal as our basketball, football, baseball and hockey players. That is just not the case here.

Soccer here is still viewed as an entry sport for parents to get their kids onto a sports field and into team sports. Kids can start young, there aren't a lot of intricate plays at the younger youth level and it doesn't require much skill to start at the youngest levels.

As those kids get older, it filters out the kids that really aren't into sports, aren't really athletic, don't posess the skills to be an excellent club elvel soccer player, or find another sport that they prefer.

If soccer was the number one sport in America, then you would have had a great number of guys that were prolific in other sports that probably would have concentrated on it.

Imagine if guys like Michael Vic, Charlie Ward, Emmet Smith, Eric Dickerson, Walter Payton,Isaac Bruce, Barry Sanders, Dion Sanders, Chris Carter, Rod Smith, Steve Largent, Steve Young, Derrick Fisher, Michael Jordan, Alan Iversen, John Stockton Ect. had decided to focus on soccer when they were 10 or 11 instead of football or basketball.

It would be a whole different story.

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 13/02/04 12:18 PM

Socal,

One of the best posts I've read concerning this subject. I agree 100%. [ThumbsUp]

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 15/02/04 02:37 PM

In regards to hightschool soccer, bennet was correct. I play varsity soccer and football. For football, we are like treated like gods where ever we go. For practices, we have our own fields. Every other year we get new equipment. We get Charter Buses for all of our trips, ect. Soccer, we have to share a field with off-season football and lacrosse. We take a crappy school bus everywhere, and nobody cares. The best soccer players play club, so they dont have the fan base of a whole school. Little kids go to their highschool football games, not soccer games. Sadly, until this changes, mexico will keep beating us most of the time.
Posted by: solarinsocal

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 25/02/04 09:14 AM

Quote:
It's like those Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. trying to act like they're not all Chinese... get me my freakin' eggroll and STFU!
You ignoramous. :rolleyes:
Posted by: xterra3202

Re: Dumb Mexicans - 26/02/04 07:50 PM

Boo Hoo, get a life