New Skid plate company

Posted by: Anonymous

New Skid plate company - 11/07/05 09:50 PM

Soon for the 05' too. But they have 00-04

black panther skidplates

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 05:07 AM

Now those are the kind of prices i like to see!

Josh
Posted by: spalind

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 05:43 AM

Hmmmm...interesting...anyone with any experience with these guys?

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 05:46 AM

Have checked them out in the past. Big with the Pathfinder skids. Glad to see they have launched ther Xterra Skids. [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: xterraintx

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 05:58 AM

Looks like they may be a Canadian company? I wonder if the pricing is Canadian or US dollars?

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 06:17 AM

They have different thickness options at the bottom of the page:

http://www.blackpantherskidplates.com/blackpanther_armor_033.htm

But I don't see any pricing difference, so... Wonder what the price is for the good quality ones (3/16") plates? I wouldn't put a 10 Ga. skid plate on my truck; it would crumple up pretty quickly with how I use skid plates...

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 06:28 AM

Pricing looks to be in USD. If you click on the Paypal option all the pricing shows the USD option.

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 06:35 AM

Good to see some more people getting on board.
Posted by: XOC

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 09:48 AM

Walmart prices... I wonder if they are Walmart quality. Usually you get what you pay for.

With them being so much less than SkidRow I wonder if they are going to be as good.

So who will be the first to get them to see if they are worth it.

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterraintx:
Looks like they may be a Canadian company? I wonder if the pricing is Canadian or US dollars?
Good question Roger. Hard to tell from their website.

Nix the no address thing. Found it and yes they are in Canada. So much for inexpensive now.

And what is with this?

"So this is the T/C skidplate for the X-terra."

It really bugs me when a company that is making something for a vehicle can not even get the name right. :rolleyes:

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 04:58 PM

they're a canadian company- there're a few threads about them over on SOXC- so far they've gotten great reviews for all you that are worried about quality.
here's a pic posted over on SOXC

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 05:00 PM

Hmmm had to look hard to find that typo on their website but really no reason to condemn their product. It was the only one incorrect.
No reason to slam someones product especially if you havent seen it.

I have met several people that have BP Skids on their Pathfinders and they like them and appear to be good quality made.

3/16 thick powder coated, access/drain holes what more do they have to have?
Built for function NOT fashion. if it fits well and its functional, I'm all for them. [ThumbsUp]

Even with additional shipping cost they will still be cheaper than their competition.
But then again only time and testimonials will tell.

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 05:23 PM

more smile these are powdercoated..

Posted by: BurgPath

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 06:22 PM

I've not heard anything negative about them. I'd buy the products...if I had a job. [Crybaby]

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 10:13 PM

By the looks of the pictures the plates cover the front and mid section. Just wondering if there are any plans for plates to protect the rear and differential.
Posted by: i8a4re

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 10:29 PM

The picture with the "final plate" written on it was on my truck. I spent a lot of time with Marcel as designed these skid plates and was constantly showing me what changes he was making and why. He put a lot of work and a lot of thought into these and it was obvious to me that he wanted to make a top quality plate at a low price because anywhere you go, skidplates are pretty expensive.

You should have no doubts that the product you'll receive are top quality.

Re: New Skid plate company - 12/07/05 11:09 PM

I'll consider buying a set.
Posted by: Xcited

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 05:25 AM

Not very professional or *admin-like* to slam a guy because he won't give you FREE product to do a review on. :rolleyes:

I don't have a set of Marcel's skids yet simply because I don't have the $$ yet, but I WILL once I have the money.

As far as I can see so far through others that DO have Marcel's product, they are top notch and there are NO complaints at all.

He is trying to give us a great product at a GREAT PRICE for a change, instead of overcharging like many (not all) places do.

Instead of slammin a guy who is trying to do something good for the Nissan community, you should be thanking him, or at least buy his plates and make an INFORMED review/comment on it.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 05:38 AM

Right On Marcel... [ThumbsUp]
I will be placing my order soon. I look forward to giving them a go. It looks like a quality product and the others that have them say nothing But GOOD things about your work.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 05:40 AM

I'll be ordering a set today!! Hell, think I'll try and have 'em overnighted so I can have them on for ECXC...What the hell time zone is Manitoba on anyway?!?!?!

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
What the hell time zone is Manitoba on anyway?!?!?!
I believe they are one hour earlier.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 05:54 AM

I will have mine on for ECXC!!!

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:34 AM

please explain why Marcel has been banned from this board now...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CRAZ4SNO:
I'd like an answer to this too, as I'm sure many would. Or are you going to ban ALL of us? :rolleyes:

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:39 AM

Not getting "free" skid plates is not why I am so critical of the product.

First - I was a bit concerned that with the prices they are offering that it seemed a bit fishy. I have found that in most cases if it sounds too good to be true it is. And knowing the spike in steel prices it just makes me curious as to how they are offering such low prices.

Second - The plates will not fit on my Xterra so I would have to find someone close to me to do the review. So what is in it for me again?

Third - Those plates may be big on the Pathfinder side of things (as some have said) but when was the last time you saw a Pathfinder really do any serious offroading?

People may say they love them without actually using them, I on the other hand will wait until they are proven to be good before I shower some new company with praise just because they are making something for a Nissan.

Simple rule about manufactures coming to a board to sell products without permission.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:46 AM

Quote:
Important: Unauthorized advertisement in the forums of Xterra Owners Club (through a membership, proxy or shill) is a violation of our Terms of Service (TOS) and will result in the suspension of your membership and possible legal action.

On several threads he promoted products that he sold. I did not even notice he owned/ worked at Black Panther until he responded to this thread. He was very quiet about it.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Admin:
[QB]People may say they love them without actually using them, I on the other hand will wait until they are proven to be good before I shower some new company with praise just because they are making something for a Nissan.[QB]
Dude. They're f*ing skid plates. It's a flat piece of steel, w/ a few bends so it can be mounted... There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with skid plates... What would it take to "prove" them in your eyes?

Bah. Nevermind. Doesn't matter. While I normally like to try to pick fights w/ you, this one [fight] is just borderline stupid.

I'll agree w/ you on the steel prices, though. 3/16" flat sttel plate is awfully expensive; the plate alone should cost nearly as much as what they're charging for the whole skid, if you had to buy it new. The only question I would have, is where are they getting their steel from, for that cheap.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:52 AM

Quote:

First - I was a bit concerned that with the prices they are offering that it seemed a bit fishy. I have found that in most cases if it sounds too good to be true it is. And knowing the spike in steel prices it just makes me curious as to how they are offering such low prices.

Second - The plates will not fit on my Xterra so I would have to find someone close to me to do the review. So what is in it for me again?

Third - Those plates may be big on the Pathfinder side of things (as some have said) but when was the last time you saw a Pathfinder really do any serious offroading?

People may say they love them without actually using them, I on the other hand will wait until they are proven to be good before I shower some new company with praise just because they are making something for a Nissan.

Simple rule about manufactures coming to a board to sell products without permission.
Are you saying that they won't fit your Xterra because of the SAS setup?

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
[QUOTE]Are you saying that they won't fit your Xterra because of the SAS setup?
Correct. The cross members that these plates use no longer exist on my Xterra so they would not work.

That and the SAS comes with its own skidplate

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:59 AM

Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Outback:
Well just because I would not give out Free skids do not slam my work!
From what I know of the mods on Admin's truck your skids won't even fit, so what's this about free skids?

I've already got the skid row armor, so I'm not looking for a handout. But I will take the opportunity to slam your skids.

They are inadequately attached. The 3 bolts where the front 2 plates overlap are easy to strip and way undersized for the loads they will see. I wouldn't be surprised to have someone shear those and wedge the engine skid into the ground. One bolt in the middle of the transfer case skid is also too little. It will allow the corners to snag and fold when backing over things. You need to put at least a bolt in each corner of the plate. and preferably 2 more where it crosses the crossmember with the torsion bar adjusters. You need to cut out slots for the torsion bar adjusters. Many of us have to crank on those periodically to tweak the ride height. Pulling the skids to get at those bolts is a pain in the ass.

The flat plate designs are really inadequate and will flex too much. You should have a folded edge (like the Skid Row plates) to provide some longitudinal rigidity to the skids. A flat sheet of metal is too easy to bend. A sheet with a 90 degree fold is much harder to bend. It's real easy to bend sheet when you have a 5000lb truck pushing it into a rock. I realize it also increases the manufacturing cost. You really do get what you pay for.

The bend at the front of the engine skid is just asking to get crushed running over things. The front 2 plates should have a smooth transition to slide over things. The bends up to meet the crossmember are just asking to snag the vehicle.

Why even bother with 10 Gauge? It's 30% thinner than 1/4". Is the cost difference enough to matter. Or did you just have some laying around that you could pass off to someone who doesn't know any better.

If this is your idea of trail tested, they should be fine for splash shields.

Welcome to XOC [Wave]

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:05 AM

and just so you get the full idea of the decent on the second shot... here is my truck from a different angle... slightly below where the pathy was photo'd...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:12 AM

Quote:
and just so you get the full idea of the decent on the second shot... here is my truck from a different angle... slightly below where the pathy was photo'd...

So these skids are suppose to protect you from muddy pits, water holes and steep trails?

Lets see some pics of them being used. Where are the pics of them protecting the vehicle from some rocks and not used (as Steve put it) as splash shields.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:14 AM

I wheel quite frequently with Jeeps, and many of them know their shit... especially when it comes to skids...

I had them look at the skids we recieved for the our Pathy, and the first thing that came out of their mouths was "this guy should make them for the CJ, YJ, and TJ... these are great skids!!"

I will have mine installed before ECXC next week...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]and just so you get the full idea of the decent on the second shot... here is my truck from a different angle... slightly below where the pathy was photo'd...

So these skids are suppose to protect you from muddy pits, water holes and steep trails?

Lets see some pics of them being used. Where are the pics of them protecting the vehicle from some rocks and not used (as Steve put it) as splash shields.[/b]
I guess you didn't notice all the rock behind the truck... you may not be able to see them under the truck, but what is behind the truck is a good indication of what is below it too...

also, do a search on Green's Mountain... its a trail here in Ontario (you know where that is right?) and you will see that it is one of the most difficult trails you will come across... I know of several Pathy's that have been there... Don't tell us Pathy's don't wheel hard...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:18 AM

Well there you have it.

The Jeep guys like them. That is good enough for me. :rolleyes:

We need a sheep graemlin.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:20 AM

Quote:
Well there you have it.

The Jeep guys like them. That is good enough for me. :rolleyes:

We need a sheep graemlin.
you saying Pathy's don't wheel compared to X's is the same thing mang!

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
Quote:
Originally posted by Outback:
[b]Well just because I would not give out Free skids do not slam my work!
From what I know of the mods on Admin's truck your skids won't even fit, so what's this about free skids?

I've already got the skid row armor, so I'm not looking for a handout. But I will take the opportunity to slam your skids.

They are inadequately attached. The 3 bolts where the front 2 plates overlap are easy to strip and way undersized for the loads they will see. I wouldn't be surprised to have someone shear those and wedge the engine skid into the ground. One bolt in the middle of the transfer case skid is also too little. It will allow the corners to snag and fold when backing over things. You need to put at least a bolt in each corner of the plate. and preferably 2 more where it crosses the crossmember with the torsion bar adjusters. You need to cut out slots for the torsion bar adjusters. Many of us have to crank on those periodically to tweak the ride height. Pulling the skids to get at those bolts is a pain in the ass.

The flat plate designs are really inadequate and will flex too much. You should have a folded edge (like the Skid Row plates) to provide some longitudinal rigidity to the skids. A flat sheet of metal is too easy to bend. A sheet with a 90 degree fold is much harder to bend. It's real easy to bend sheet when you have a 5000lb truck pushing it into a rock. I realize it also increases the manufacturing cost. You really do get what you pay for.

The bend at the front of the engine skid is just asking to get crushed running over things. The front 2 plates should have a smooth transition to slide over things. The bends up to meet the crossmember are just asking to snag the vehicle.

Why even bother with 10 Gauge? It's 30% thinner than 1/4". Is the cost difference enough to matter. Or did you just have some laying around that you could pass off to someone who doesn't know any better.

If this is your idea of trail tested, they should be fine for splash shields.

Welcome to XOC [Wave] [/b]
So what you're saying is, if they made them just like Skid Rows, then they'd be good enough? Because you basically just described skid row's plates to a 'T', there...

I've got a PLASTIC front engine skid on my truck, that takes the same beatings my Skid Row transfer case skid... It has 0 folds, is completely flat (except how it bends on cross members, and weighs about 35 lbs... It does just fine. Everything doesn't have to be contorted into odd geometric shapes, to have enough strength to take a beating...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:02 AM

porsche... you coming to ECXC? I would love to see your skids!! laugh

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Everything doesn't have to be contorted into odd geometric shapes, to have enough strength to take a beating...
What about the point of the lack of proper mounting to the frame?

As an example. Do you really trust to just having one bolt hold on one side of your skidplate as show in this picture from their site?

edit. Not to mention all the other valid points that AeroSteve brought up.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:26 AM

Quote:

You Carlton, are a CLASSIC example of a complete tool! In fact, the coward you are to delete any or all posts from members or users who purchased Black Panther Skids serves proof of how much a flake you truly are!

To add to the insult of your actions, I will personally rip off all XOC stickers on my truck today, drive over them and personally mail them back to your sorry ass to for you to re-distribute. Hopefully, by the time you get them... I'll have the Nissan Community rejoice by doing the same!

I'm not mad at you Carlton, in fact... I'll personally see that the many Nissan Truck owners who dislike you - now get even with you!

And since you probably edit, re-word, alter and change my post around and then ban me from XOC because of my right to comment on you and your admin abilities...

[Finger] [Finger]

The smiley says it all my friend!

Take care Carlton! [Wave]

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMark:
You Carlton, are a CLASSIC example of a complete tool! In fact, the coward you are to delete any or all posts from members or users who purchased Black Panther Skids serves proof of how much a flake you truly are!

To add to the insult of your actions, I will personally rip off all XOC stickers on my truck today, drive over them and personally mail them back to your sorry ass to for you to re-distribute. Hopefully, by the time you get them... I'll have the Nissan Community rejoice by doing the same!

I'm not mad at you Carlton, in fact... I'll personally see that the many Nissan Truck owners who dislike you - now get even with you!

And since you probably edit, re-word, alter and change my post around and then ban me from XOC because of my right to comment on you and your admin abilities...

I did not "delete any or all posts" from anyone in this thread save the troll that logged on just to bitch and the manufacture that was breaking the rule.

If people want to buy those things then more power to them. I don't care if they come here and post pics of them or testimony or their bra size.
Everyone else is free to say what ever they wish. I just will not have manufactures come on this board an use it as a tool to sell product.

I stated my opinion and concern about the skids and other responded.

If you ,with two posts and not much invested in this community, want to bitch about the way I do something then have at it. [Spit]

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:47 AM

Quote:
If you ,with two posts and not much invested in this community, want to bitch about the way I do something then have at it. [Spit]
There are a LOT of members on this site and likely MANY who don't register or participate because they see how people are treated here. Being a newly REGISTERED member or not having many posts doesn't mean squat.

There's also something to be said for respect and tact.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:47 AM

Quote:
With the lack of one posting on a board - does not mean one reads up on the board. Knowing now that you've taken over from Ian... we'll see how long you'll be doing what your doing now Carlton!

[LOL]

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:49 AM

hmmm... does Jim Shrake not post on here?

what about SLR...

L&P?

Crapalini?

the list goes on...

I expect that their accounts be suspended too...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Xcited:
Quote:
[b]If you ,with two posts and not much invested in this community, want to bitch about the way I do something then have at it. [Spit]
There are a LOT of members on this site and likely MANY who don't register or participate because they see how people are treated here. Being a newly REGISTERED member or not having many posts doesn't mean squat.

There's also something to be said for respect and tact.[/b]
well put Pete!

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:53 AM

Quote:
hmmm... does Jim Shrake not post on here?

what about SLR...

L&P?

Crapalini?

the list goes on...

I expect that their accounts be suspended too...
Is the ice going to your head up there in Canada?

SLR and L&P do not post here.
The others are advertisers on the site.

If there is talk about the others you listed then it is by members and not the manufature and not edited.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:57 AM

In here guys.

I don't want you think I deleted your poignant comments that have yet to address much of anything.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 09:02 AM

Good god, people?? All this hostility over skid plates??

carlton does the best he can, and w/ his own personality. He's nowhere near the devil Ian was... It's sort of like South Park. Ian was devil, and Carlton is Saddam Hussein... Awe...come 'ere, bitch...

But seriously, are some of y'all really gonna' be this big of babies, over something as simple/basic as a skid plate? I can only imagine how ugly things would get if we started talking *gasp* suspension lifts...

(BTW, no, I wouldn't mount a skid plate with only 2 or 3 bolts; that's assinine. I completely agree w/ you on that one! I have min. 3 on all cross members. That way, I can lose one or two, and it'll still be there. I would go one further, though, and say I wish both skid row and all other manufacturer's, would either recess the bolts some. A pet peeve of mine is seeing a bolt head just sitting there, ripe for the breaking!)

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 09:28 AM

Quote:
Is the ice going to your head up there in Canada?
Nice. :rolleyes: It's actually a high of 91 °F here today, but thanks for the thought, I'd rather see some ice this week.

Ok, this whole thing is just getting way out of hand. There are many valid points, concerns, etc, but it all comes down to why do things around here always seem to be handled so crudely? As I said, tact and respect go along way. Jumping on people, flaming newbs, etc seems to be the norm here, and it's really not necessary. Somewhere along the way a lot of you have forgotten what the whole purpose of this site is (or at least should be) and don't give others the respect and patience that you once had (or would have liked to have had) when you were here in the beginning.

A little off the topic at hand, but relevant.

On that note, I think I'm done with this thread.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 09:30 AM

L&P is the only one I am unsure about, but I do know that Josh has posted on here from SLR...

as for the skid you were bashing... it was being held on by 1 bolt for fitting purposes... it was a prototype
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 10:06 AM

Just out of curiosity, why does the "warden" come with two different sized bolts (let alone one size metric and one size SAE)? Wouldn't be more prudent to have them all the same?

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 10:07 AM

Quote:
L&P is the only one I am unsure about, but I do know that Josh has posted on here from SLR...

as for the skid you were bashing... it was being held on by 1 bolt for fitting purposes... it was a prototype
Somebody let those guys know, then, to NOT post up pictures of the prototypes. Only show finished products, or else they're open for critiscm on that sort of thing. Or, if they really want to show the fabrication process, be sure to have a final picture, fully powdercoated or painted, as well.

It just looks ameturish with the half-finished photos. And that brings on skeptiscm of the final product!!

edit:

On another note... Something just clicked in my mind... Someone that lives in Minneapolis is making fun of Canadians... Holy smokes, don't you know y'all are all the same.. You still say "a-boat"... That's like Sharam making fun of sheet heads... [Finger]
Posted by: Aero Steve

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 10:32 AM

Quote:
So what you're saying is, if they made them just like Skid Rows, then they'd be good enough? Because you basically just described skid row's plates to a 'T', there...

I've got a PLASTIC front engine skid on my truck, that takes the same beatings my Skid Row transfer case skid... It has 0 folds, is completely flat (except how it bends on cross members, and weighs about 35 lbs... It does just fine. Everything doesn't have to be contorted into odd geometric shapes, to have enough strength to take a beating...
My comments are based on my experience. I've also never said Skid Row is perfect or that if someone doesn't copy them they are idiots. I've managed to dent my Skid Row plates and have to use a floor jack to push them tight enough to get the bolts started. I'd like to see your plastic "skid" plate.

Ever work with sheet metal? It's simple to stiffen it you put a fold in it. Take a sheet of paper hold it from one end and it will flop over, fold the sides up and it won't flop limp. Steel acts the same way just with greater forces. It's not asking too much that a skid plate be designed to the same standards I had in my 6th grade shop class.

But, doing this will drive up the expensive of making the parts. Every cut and bend adds time which increases the price. Increasing the thickness of the materials will also increase the expense. Heavier duty shop equipment is needed to do the work in addition to the materials cost. Black Panther has kept the cost down by doing away with these complexities. I'm just pointing out the downside of their designs.

It's fine for the front where there really isn't anything tight behind it, but further aft you have an oil pan, transmission, transfer case and exhaust without much clearance. I would rather the skid be able to support the vehicle than have it flexing so the skid is resting against the delicate bits behind it.
Posted by: i8a4re

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 10:39 AM

Quote:

But, doing this will drive up the expensive of making the parts. Every cut and bend adds time which increases the price. Increasing the thickness of the materials will also increase the expense. Heavier duty shop equipment is needed to do the work in addition to the materials cost. Black Panther has kept the cost down by doing away with these complexities. I'm just pointing out the downside of their designs.
I'm putting mine on today... I'll take plenty of pictures from different angles for you to see. And you'll see that you're wrong. The pictures on his site may not show it accurately... especially on the prototype shots. I'll post later today.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 10:45 AM

I invite anyone at ECXC to have a look under my truck... this will be the best way for any of you to form your opnions, as pictures often don't do the justice that is deserved. if you like them, great! if not, that's your opinion.

if you can't make it to ECXC, that's unfortunate... its gonna be a great time!

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 10:59 AM

Quote:

L&P did make it over here, but I think just to answer a few questions, I don't think they have more than 5 posts.........just to clear up the issue
Posted by: Mobycat

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:09 AM

Quote:

On another note... Something just clicked in my mind... Someone that lives in Minneapolis is making fun of Canadians... Holy smokes, don't you know y'all are all the same.. You still say "a-boat"... That's like Sharam making fun of sheet heads... [Finger]
Ah...you don't know his history.

He used to be a Texas boy (and then Tennessee, iirc)

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:12 AM

Not to pick on post content or anything, but I think you may want to see some of these...

If you'd like a few more, let me know. I'm not the only person that wheels a Pathfinder. smile

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:28 AM

Quote:

I would rather the skid be able to support the vehicle than have it flexing so the skid is resting against the delicate bits behind it.
You said "bits"

uh huh huh huh huh huh huh!

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:34 AM

Quote:
I'd like to see your plastic "skid" plate.
Welcome to the 2000s (go grab a beer...careful, now, 'cause if you read the rest of this, you might actually LEARN something):

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene (UHMW)

Quote:

Performs well under the most rigorous conditions of wear and environment because of its unique combination of physical and mechanical properties. Not only does it have the highest known impact strength of any thermoplastic currently available but it also offers high resistance to abrasion, demonstrating only negligible weight loss when subjected to abrasion against copper, brass or steel. In addition to these properties, a very low coefficient of friction and extremely low moisture absorption make UHMW an extraordinary material for industrial wear, impact and sliding applications. Particularly effective were no lubrication is available or during operation in the presence of water, UHMW is non-toxic, odorless, tasteless and FDA approved for direct contact in meat and poultry processing. UHMW can be easily sawed, milled, turned, planed, drilled or punched on standard wood working equipment. UHMW offers diversity of usage in touch applications in a wide range of industries.
Typical Applications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gears, Bearings, Bushings, Sprockets, Cams, Conveyer parts, Wear surfaces, Impact surfaces, Liners, Feed screws.
While it's not as strong as steel, it IS plenty strong enough for skid plates (as been shown in real-world use). I put it on for testing, after reading about it in an offroading magazine; figured I'd give it a shot. That, and a buddy of mine got a couple of 4'x8' sheets of it for free from his work...

You shape it like you'd build something out of wood; so it's really quick and easy to build into whatever shape you need. Seeing as how most of my personal shop tools are for woodwork, this appealed to me... Took me all of about 15 minutes to measure, mark, and cut a full front skid... I don't have a metal brake, so I wouldn't have even been able to think about building a steel plate myself.

A lot of competition rigs in UROC use this material, because it drastically reduces the weight of their rigs, and it's very easy to replace, if damaged. And, since it's so slick, it helps to slide over rocks, instead of just coming to a dull thud.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
[b]
Ah...you don't know his history.

He used to be a Texas boy (and then Tennessee, iirc)[/b]
Oh, I do... But he's a wanna-be canook, now. Isn't that what Min-ah-sooo-dah is...?

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]I'd like to see your plastic "skid" plate.
Welcome to the 2000s (go grab a beer...careful, now, 'cause if you read the rest of this, you might actually LEARN something):

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethelene (UHMW)

Quote:

Performs well under the most rigorous conditions of wear and environment because of its unique combination of physical and mechanical properties. Not only does it have the highest known impact strength of any thermoplastic currently available but it also offers high resistance to abrasion, demonstrating only negligible weight loss when subjected to abrasion against copper, brass or steel. In addition to these properties, a very low coefficient of friction and extremely low moisture absorption make UHMW an extraordinary material for industrial wear, impact and sliding applications. Particularly effective were no lubrication is available or during operation in the presence of water, UHMW is non-toxic, odorless, tasteless and FDA approved for direct contact in meat and poultry processing. UHMW can be easily sawed, milled, turned, planed, drilled or punched on standard wood working equipment. UHMW offers diversity of usage in touch applications in a wide range of industries.
Typical Applications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gears, Bearings, Bushings, Sprockets, Cams, Conveyer parts, Wear surfaces, Impact surfaces, Liners, Feed screws.
While it's not as strong as steel, it IS plenty strong enough for skid plates (as been shown in real-world use). I put it on for testing, after reading about it in an offroading magazine; figured I'd give it a shot. That, and a buddy of mine got a couple of 4'x8' sheets of it for free from his work...

You shape it like you'd build something out of wood; so it's really quick and easy to build into whatever shape you need. Seeing as how most of my personal shop tools are for woodwork, this appealed to me... Took me all of about 15 minutes to measure, mark, and cut a full front skid... I don't have a metal brake, so I wouldn't have even been able to think about building a steel plate myself.

A lot of competition rigs in UROC use this material, because it drastically reduces the weight of their rigs, and it's very easy to replace, if damaged. And, since it's so slick, it helps to slide over rocks, instead of just coming to a dull thud.[/b]
In other words--its a material similar or identical to a plastic cutting board...4 Wheeler used it to make a custom skid on their Trail Lex...cheaper than steel too...my only question with it would be how thick to you need to make it to get a decent strength ratio...if it has to be 2 inches thick then I wouild say it would be too unweildy(Spelling?) to use...but like at 3/16 or 1/4 I would imagine it would be quite handy...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:55 AM

I am curious how it stands up in extreme cold... thinking of winter wheeling...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 11:56 AM

Quote:

Carlton, that has to be the most asinine thing I've ever seen you post. Ever seen pics of an AZ Run? We have about 6-7 in the group that regularly hit the 4+ trails in IFS pathfinders right along with the SAS'd trucks. The 1st gen Pathy's have a far superior rear suspension compared to an Xterra, and are more capable right out of the box because of it. The front ends are a push. Approach angle is also better on a Pathfinder.

As for the mounting points, yes, I see the point on that. It would be very easy, however, to drill a few more holes and mount them just like the Skid Row plates are mounted.

As for rolling the edge, yes, that does add strength, but there are guys here running 3/16" sheet steel without a rolled edge as skids that have held up well under the full weight of the vehicle on rocks. There is some deformation, but it usually comes right back. Arizona has more rocks than Minnesota smile

I don't see that as a major issue, and I'm sure that's one of the things that keeps the price down on these.

XOC can be run how you see fit same as N4W can be run however my wife and I see fit. All I'll say there is remember back in the days when no one was making any parts for Nissans and how much we all wanted more players in the game to introduce competition and better pricing. We can be critical of designs and point out the weaknesses, but simply running them off isn't helping anyone.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
Quote:
[b]
Carlton, that has to be the most asinine thing I've ever seen you post. Ever seen pics of an AZ Run? We have about 6-7 in the group that regularly hit the 4+ trails in IFS pathfinders right along with the SAS'd trucks. The 1st gen Pathy's have a far superior rear suspension compared to an Xterra, and are more capable right out of the box because of it. The front ends are a push. Approach angle is also better on a Pathfinder.

As for the mounting points, yes, I see the point on that. It would be very easy, however, to drill a few more holes and mount them just like the Skid Row plates are mounted.

As for rolling the edge, yes, that does add strength, but there are guys here running 3/16" sheet steel without a rolled edge as skids that have held up well under the full weight of the vehicle on rocks. There is some deformation, but it usually comes right back. Arizona has more rocks than Minnesota smile

I don't see that as a major issue, and I'm sure that's one of the things that keeps the price down on these.

XOC can be run how you see fit same as N4W can be run however my wife and I see fit. All I'll say there is remember back in the days when no one was making any parts for Nissans and how much we all wanted more players in the game to introduce competition and better pricing. We can be critical of designs and point out the weaknesses, but simply running them off isn't helping anyone.[/b]
I think thats the best point that can be made here...regardless of our point of view on this case we ALL want more manufacturors of aftermarket stuff for Nissans in general and Xterra's specificly...A free market will, like evolution weed out poor products quickly and allow quality, fairly priced products to thrive...there is no NEED to bash new products heedlessly before they have even been tested by the enduser...if something doesn't work THEN is the time to come back here or other boards and discuss what occured and why...Otherwise we are biting ourselves in the ass...

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 12:53 PM

Quote:
my only question with it would be how thick to you need to make it to get a decent strength ratio...if it has to be 2 inches thick then I wouild say it would be too unweildy(Spelling?) to use...but like at 3/16 or 1/4 I would imagine it would be quite handy...
1/2" is what you need for a skid. That'll get you around 6,000 psi tensile strength, and a darn good impact resistant piece of plastic.

The only thing that suxs, is the stuff is very expensive; don't go this route if you're expecting to save $$... It costs about the same as 3/16" steel plate. But for ease of use (you can "weld" it with a torch, and can cut it with a circular saw), and light weight, it's worth it, IMO.
Posted by: Kaiser

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 01:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
my only question with it would be how thick to you need to make it to get a decent strength ratio...if it has to be 2 inches thick then I wouild say it would be too unweildy(Spelling?) to use...but like at 3/16 or 1/4 I would imagine it would be quite handy...
1/2" is what you need for a skid. That'll get you around 6,000 psi tensile strength, and a darn good impact resistant piece of plastic.

The only thing that suxs, is the stuff is very expensive; don't go this route if you're expecting to save $$... It costs about the same as 3/16" steel plate. But for ease of use (you can "weld" it with a torch, and can cut it with a circular saw), and light weight, it's worth it, IMO.
Hey porsche - Could you maybe start a new thread in P&A about these plastic skids (with pics)?

Since that's a totally different topic from the one that landed us here in the ALR, I think people might like to hear about them.

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:35 PM

I agree with Desert Rat. I have done runs with several Arizona Pathfinder owners and they are just as capable if not more capable than the Xterra. The real winner in this debate is the Marketing dept at Nissan when they introduced the Xterra to the market and we all bought into it.

As mentioned earlier its a Skid Plate, it might not have the same design as others produced but im sure it will do a good job based on it purpose. I am also pretty sure that they would be all this is needed for the majority of Xterra owners out. Very few X owners hard core their trucks as rock crawlers like alot of the pathy owners I know. I have seen some SAS xterra as well as SAS Pathys and well all I can say there if you think your SAS Xterra is bad... Take a look at the Pirate Ship that Datz510 owns.

My Xterra is very capable and built to do the trails and obstacles of the Desert. Although it isnt this indestructable 4x4 trail killing machine that these marketing Gurus have got many of the Xterra Owners believing that their lil mall cruising, sway bar equipped, soccer mom wannabe stationwagons are. That said... rant over

By the way Didn't Gbizzle "a Moderator" start this thread just to let people know there was some new skid plates available for the Xterra, Just to be more inforamative and pro-active. Thats just kinda how GBizzle is.

In closing...
To ban someone from being on the board because they own a company that makes parts for our trucks is wrong. Marcel didnt start the thread he just spoke up when verbally attacked by others. I dont believe I have ever seen Black Panther trying to sell their products on the XOC. But I might have missed it, I can admit I am not perfect.

I think we down here in the United States call that "Freedom of Speech".

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 07:46 PM

Quote:

Oh now THAT hurt. Wheres the love?
[Crybaby]
Posted by: RedX

Re: New Skid plate company - 13/07/05 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgPath:
Quote:
[b]
[Crybaby] [/b]
[LOL] But I will agree with others here.....probably not the most accurate statement that could have been made.
Posted by: Cobrastrike

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedX:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
[Crybaby] [/b]
[LOL] But I will agree with others here.....probably not the most accurate statement that could have been made.[/b]

Here's my contribution. My old Pathy in action.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grn-X:

By the way Didn't Gbizzle "a Moderator" start this thread just to let people know there was some new skid plates available for the Xterra, Just to be more inforamative and pro-active. Thats just kinda how GBizzle is.

In closing...
To ban someone from being on the board because they own a company that makes parts for our trucks is wrong. Marcel didnt start the thread he just spoke up when verbally attacked by others. I dont believe I have ever seen Black Panther trying to sell their products on the XOC. But I might have missed it, I can admit I am not perfect.

I think we down here in the United States call that "Freedom of Speech".
nice to see someone else has noticed this too!!
laugh

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 08:12 AM

And thank you for your part in defending it. [ThumbsUp]

Good luck on your next deployment.
Posted by: bdjones72

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 08:53 AM

XOC is the equivalent of high school popularity groups. Either you're in it or your out. If you're in it you can do no wrong, if your out you're SOL. Always has been, always will. Very unfortunate.
Posted by: defibvt

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
And thank you for your part in defending it. [ThumbsUp]

Good luck on your next deployment.
Ditto!

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 01:30 PM

Just got off the phone with Marcel and he said the 05 skids will be available for order around the middle of Aug. However, he did say that he would be raising prices so that people don't think they are getting a cheap product. wink

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 01:44 PM

I got mine today...

can't wait to put them on...

top quality! you won't be disappointed... unless you were expecting them to be free!! laugh

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by defibvt:
Just got off the phone with Marcel and he said the 05 skids will be available for order around the middle of Aug. However, he did say that he would be raising prices so that people don't think they are getting a cheap product. wink
If they are missing some of the things that Aero Steve pointed out then by compairson to the amount of work being put into them they are getting a "cheaper" product.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 02:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
[Crybaby] [/b]
OK that was a bit mean of me :p

Sorry Kevin.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 02:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Just got off the phone with Marcel and he said the 05 skids will be available for order around the middle of Aug. However, he did say that he would be raising prices so that people don't think they are getting a cheap product. wink
If they are missing some of the things that Aero Steve pointed out then by compairson to the amount of work being put into them they are getting a "cheaper" product.[/b]
I didn't miss anything. However, it is nice there is competition and I believe someone said that that was the beta of the skid and it wasn't fully installed. Correct me if I am wrong.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 03:04 PM

Quote:
I believe someone said that that was the beta of the skid and it wasn't fully installed. Correct me if I am wrong.
And as someone said why would you put an image of a work in progress that has a bunch of problems with it? Especially if you are running a business selling parts that are suppose to protect your truck.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 03:57 PM

[Argue]
Blah, fucking-blah-blah-blah...

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 04:34 PM

Haha, Too funny. Probably like several people on this Forum.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
[Argue]
Blah, fucking-blah-blah-blah...
That is great. laugh

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 07:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
[Crybaby] [/b]
OK that was a bit mean of me :p

Sorry Kevin.[/b]
See. Carlton's not a complete hard ass, he even knows how to apologize.

(Bastard [Finger] )

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 08:02 PM

I just had visions of the newer Pathfinders floating in my head and as Andy and a few others pointed out there are plenty of the older Pathfinders that actually wheel.

Boot to the head. [Freak]

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 08:30 PM

Nice pic DBAX very fitting to the thread. Thanks you made me chuckle!

I proudly serve this country and I am grateful to those who appreciate why we do it. So for That I thank you.

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 09:39 PM

Quote:
I just had visions of the newer Pathfinders floating in my head and as Andy and a few others pointed out there are plenty of the older Pathfinders that actually wheel.

Boot to the head. [Freak]
define "newer"

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 09:41 PM

is this what you mean by newer?

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 09:47 PM

A 1997 Pathfinder was not what I had in mind.

But thanks for the pics. I bet Kevin loves to see that.

Edit to add:

I don't see anything past Oct 2003. What has he been doing lately? With the list of places he has been I am suprized he has not made it to Moab.
Posted by: Claus

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 10:12 PM

WOW, amazing when reading all 7 pages it becomes very evident,

Calmi...I mean Carlton, Have you been a dickhead all your life or did you work at it?.

It is evident that ANY effort to create something Unique, affordable and perhaps just as good as the the Sponsors of everything mounted on a certain white Xterra, is chopped down,shut down and ridiculed without doing ANY proper research or even listen to the people partaking in this project. What a brilliant way to drive your membership (all 123 active posters) away.

Congratulations, on continuing to alienate the members that drive your Sponsorship for XOC. I am sure Ian would be proud.
Posted by: Huey

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 10:20 PM

Quote:

I don't see anything past Oct 2003. What has he been doing lately? With the list of places he has been I am suprized he has not made it to Moab.
He's been wheelin, his recent pics just aren't easily found on his site.

BTW, you met Dean (XPLORX4) at goneMOAB 03 I guess you just don't remember...

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
He's been wheelin, his recent pics just aren't easily found on his site.

BTW, you met Dean (XPLORX4) at goneMOAB 03 I guess you just don't remember...
Ohh.. I think I have some pics of him then. Too many people at some of these events that I loose track.

Yup.. Found one.
Posted by: BigE515

Re: New Skid plate company - 14/07/05 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus Christensen:
WOW, amazing when reading all 7 pages it becomes very evident,

Calmi...I mean Carlton, Have you been a dickhead all your life or did you work at it?.

It is evident that ANY effort to create something Unique, affordable and perhaps just as good as the the Sponsors of everything mounted on a certain white Xterra, is chopped down,shut down and ridiculed without doing ANY proper research or even listen to the people partaking in this project. What a brilliant way to drive your membership (all 123 active posters) away.

Congratulations, on continuing to alienate the members that drive your Sponsorship for XOC. I am sure Ian would be proud.
Wow. Kind of harsh but, after owning a Toyota pickup for 12 years and enjoying the large number of performance parts producers that were available. I have to agree. I'd hate to see possible producers of Xterra performance parts turned away on this, obviously the nucleus of the Xterra community.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
Hockey's back!!! woo-hoo!
The last guy's sig is the best part of this thread..

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 06:04 AM

I propose that you re-instate Marcel's account...

if you continue to shut down people like this, its just going to be more reason for guys like skidrow to continue gouging their customers... they are getting rich because they are the only ones who are known... kind of a monopoly situation you are aiding here... why do you think parts for Jeeps are so cheap and Nissan so expensive? because there are so many suppliers for them, and this board is working against new suppliers starting up!!

time to drop the negative feelings you have, and get on with your life.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 06:42 AM

Quote:
I propose that you re-instate Marcel's account...

if you continue to shut down people like this, its just going to be more reason for guys like skidrow to continue gouging their customers... they are getting rich because they are the only ones who are known... kind of a monopoly situation you are aiding here... why do you think parts for Jeeps are so cheap and Nissan so expensive? because there are so many suppliers for them, and this board is working against new suppliers starting up!!

time to drop the negative feelings you have, and get on with your life.
There are advertisers here on XOC and to give a business free access to the member base that another business is paying for would not be fair. I offered him a way to get exposure and he denied it. Nothing to see here. Move on.

I do not care if members here talk about product X,Y or Z but I will not let a vendor come here and sell their wares in an unfair way to those that support this board.

As for my opinions of the BP product. They are my opinions and are based on what I saw on the website and compaired to other skidplate vendors products.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 06:48 AM

I think you need to show us the links where he was selling his stuff...

remember, he did not start this thread. if he comes here to answer questions, that should be allowed...

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 06:49 AM

I need to show you nothing.

Ask him, he knows.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 06:56 AM

so bottom line is, you don't give a shit about anyone else on here... its all about #1...

if you are going to make statements, you should at least have a way to back them up... you are not God and your word will not be taken that way.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 07:05 AM

Quote:
so bottom line is, you don't give a shit about anyone else on here... its all about #1...

if you are going to make statements, you should at least have a way to back them up... you are not God and your word will not be taken that way.
Since you missed it the first time..

There are advertisers here on XOC and to give a business free access to the member base that another business is paying for would not be fair. I offered him a way to get exposure and he denied it. Nothing to see here. Move on.

I do not care if members here talk about product X,Y or Z but I will not let a vendor come here and sell their wares in an unfair way to those that support this board.

As for my opinions of the BP product. They are my opinions and are based on what I saw on the website and compaired to other skidplate vendors products.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 07:10 AM

in case you missed it...

I was refering to your 'I am an admin god, and what I say is the only way' comment "I need to show you nothing"

get your head out of your ass and realize that there is a world out there that does not revolve around you.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 07:16 AM

So just because you asked for something and I told you I did not need to show you anything I am being a God?

Like I said. Talk to BP. I showed it to them when they had a lapse of memory.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 07:19 AM

why don't you save the hassle and show it...

and I did not say you were, I said that comment was voiced in that tone...

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 07:20 AM

Guys,Guys, Can't we all just get along?

This argument seems pointless, agree to disagree and we'll all move on.

There are several people that are going to order these products regardless of our opinions. Let's see what they think when they receive/install them. Hopefully we'll get some good Off-Road Pictures of them actually being used. This will give us better judgement on the quality.

Either way I apreciate this Forum, XOC and its Moderators/Admins. Thanks to you all for keeping this up and running.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 07:36 AM

agreed... I just think Marcel is being treated unfairly, and I am not the only one.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 08:05 AM

Quote:
.......ANY effort to create something Unique, affordable and perhaps just as good as the the Sponsors of everything mounted on a certain white Xterra, is chopped down,shut down and ridiculed without doing ANY proper research or even listen to the people partaking in this project......
I hate to say it, but on the other sponsored boards I frequent, they will delete threads that even show a picture of a non-sponsors product.

Carlton's mistake was that he tried to discredit it instead of simply deleting the thread. Clearly, the whole board knows about the product, but it would probably be wise to delete the 8 pages of bickering and just let a new thread get started.

Personally, although I don't own one, I think that Skid Row makes the best plates of anybody for the X. Speaking from personal experience, the wrong plates will NOT save money in the long run. I have seen skid row plates survive the same carnage that othe plates just folded.

I agree that this crap alienates our members, big time. PLEASE delete this thread so we can get on with our lives.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 08:16 AM

Quote:
agreed... I just think Marcel is being treated unfairly, and I am not the only one.
Agreed, but the best support for him will be purchasing his product and helping him make a name for himself as providing quality, well designed products. Bickering here will only alienate people from him and possibly this board.

Let this thread dissapear into the abyss of cyberspace and give us raving reviews of a new product that you own and love.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 08:18 AM

I got mine yesterday, along with 5 other sets for members of SOXC and mine will be installed on Sunday!! laugh

I am in total agreement to delete this thread...

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 08:23 AM

Awesome, post some picts later on...

Title it maybe... Here's my new skids!

First pict of it supporting the weight of the X on the plate. What do they say? A picture is worth a Thousand words.
Posted by: BigE515

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wallybeaver:
Quote:
Originally posted by BigE515:
[b]Hockey's back!!! woo-hoo!
The last guy's sig is the best part of this thread..[/b]
[ThumbsUp] [Wave]

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
[b] .......ANY effort to create something Unique, affordable and perhaps just as good as the the Sponsors of everything mounted on a certain white Xterra, is chopped down,shut down and ridiculed without doing ANY proper research or even listen to the people partaking in this project......
I hate to say it, but on the other sponsored boards I frequent, they will delete threads that even show a picture of a non-sponsors product.

Carlton's mistake was that he tried to discredit it instead of simply deleting the thread. Clearly, the whole board knows about the product, but it would probably be wise to delete the 8 pages of bickering and just let a new thread get started.

Personally, although I don't own one, I think that Skid Row makes the best plates of anybody for the X. Speaking from personal experience, the wrong plates will NOT save money in the long run. I have seen skid row plates survive the same carnage that othe plates just folded.

I agree that this crap alienates our members, big time. PLEASE delete this thread so we can get on with our lives.[/b]
Dunno if you misunderstood my post. What I said that is alienating the membership is the aparent sensorship going on, I understand that you can not advertise if you have not paid for it here, that is natural. But just pissing over everything remotely associated with "Non preferred" aftermarket parts just displays the narrowmindedness of the person running this board....I guess it has a positive side in the 4x4 community that drives Xterra's find this site first, grows up and discovers other boards that treat idea's, people and common sense with a brighter more "customer" friendly approach and a bit of respect

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 10:37 AM

Quote:
A 1997 Pathfinder was not what I had in mind.

But thanks for the pics. I bet Kevin loves to see that.

Edit to add:

I don't see anything past Oct 2003. What has he been doing lately? With the list of places he has been I am surprised he has not made it to Moab.
Dean (XplorX4)and System F are nuts. They do more with an R50 than Nissan ever intended. [ThumbsUp]

Everyone knows this is more my style:

(Its a pretty rutted driveway)
Posted by: socalpunx

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 11:31 AM

A couple of things.

Steel prices are starting to fall. That's a good thing. I've been watching them since a cage is in my future.

SLR does not and cannot post here. They are not allowed to introduce or promote new or existing products and pricing. It was mentioned that Josh posted here. He owns an X and is high school friend of Spencer who only recently started working at SLR. He does post on the NOR board but that is within that boards policies.

Carlton and I have gone round and round many times regarding this issue. XOC is a privately run and privately funded message board. It accepts advertising and that advertising funds the costs associated with the board.

It is also offers a large built-in customer base of eager buyers for potential members. That customer base holds a certain value. And that customer base comes at a nominal price that those who see the value in that customer base have chosen to invest in.

If vendors are allowed to freely promote and sell their products through this board then there is no incentive for them to advertise and that value becomes dimminshed. Also, if they are allowed to promote their products it puts in to question the need and value of those who do choose to support the board by advertising.

Unlike some other boards, Carlton does allow members to discuss thier modifications and the vendors associated with those modificatons as long as it does not cross the line of what is considered advertising the product and as is the case here he never prohibited a discussion of the skid plates.

As he has done with SLR who thus far has not entered into an agreement, any vendor is invited to advertise here and with thier advertising program they are then welcome to freely promote, advertise and discuss their products as any other vendor that has supported this community with their dollars.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 11:39 AM

Along those lines, would it be innappropriate to fab up like a bumper or skid plates on the X and provide the specifications/design files/plans for public use?

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tuff:
Along those lines, would it be innappropriate to fab up like a bumper or skid plates on the X and provide the specifications/design files/plans for public use?
Nope.

I posted the specs for my sliders. Nobody got pissed.

Somebody delete this retarded thread so we can start a legit one without 8 pages of bullshit.

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 11:51 AM

Just for good measure:

[img]http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-078.gif[ /img][img]

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 12:35 PM

Jeff, you should come clean, Tell your wife the red pants in Vegas made you realize.....YOUR A CLOSET FAG.

Have a good weekend!

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 01:34 PM

Quote:
......YOUR A CLOSET FAG.....
Nope

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 01:41 PM

Quote:
Dean (XplorX4)and System F are nuts. They do more with an R50 than Nissan ever intended
Thank you, it did not go unnoticed.
Posted by: XPLORx4

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 04:36 PM

Wow, let just 24 hours go by and the world gets away from ya! wink I was abstaining from this thread.

Thanks to Huy, Kevin, and CRAZ4SNO for defending the R50 platform, which obviously gets a workout from .004% of its owner base. [Too much XOC]

I guess I really oughta update my web site, huh? wink

But I'd rather be wheelin! laugh

Re: New Skid plate company - 15/07/05 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tuff:
I dont see an issue, you are not advertising you are giving away information and most people will go with the prefab items anyway. But I am sure if it was a violation it would not go unnoticed. wink

Re: New Skid plate company - 27/07/05 08:59 PM

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003744