cafepress.com

Posted by: Lincoln

cafepress.com - 16/07/03 01:44 PM

My brother is a graphic artist and has created some designs for VAXC. He made a T-shirt, Hat, and a sticker. There are a bunch of things that he can put them on. If any of the clubs are interested in having him design stuff for you guys, send me a pm. Go to his area and check it out.

Cafepress.com - Ryan\'s Junk
Posted by: XOC

Re: cafepress.com - 16/07/03 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lincolnnellie:
My brother is a graphic artist
I'll have to disagree with that statement.

Re: cafepress.com - 16/07/03 01:57 PM

I will have to agree with you that this is not one of his best designs. He works for Mandel in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He designs stuff for Ducks Unlimited, Coke, Walmart, and I am not sure of the others. It is a possibility that he was trying to go after that look. Did you look at the T-shirt at all?
Posted by: Bobby_X

Re: cafepress.com - 16/07/03 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]My brother is a graphic artist
I'll have to disagree with that statement.

[/b]
That is too funny :-)

Re: cafepress.com - 16/07/03 02:07 PM

Quote:
Did you look at the T-shirt at all?
Yes. Horrible. Sorry.

Re: cafepress.com - 16/07/03 02:23 PM

Everybody has different tastes... smile He is actually pretty talented though. He is more into designing catalogues, cd covers for bands, and advertising campaigns. He is 22 years old and has been doing this since he was 18. I will have to let him know what his critics think of his work.

Re: cafepress.com - 17/07/03 05:07 PM

Hey Ian...what do you think of these??

I told my brother what you said about CafePress.com and he said that they are not iron-on transfers, it is a die sublimation type
print. At least that is what they say. He said thanks for the comments.
Posted by: krisjon

Re: cafepress.com - 17/07/03 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]Did you look at the T-shirt at all?
Yes. Horrible. Sorry.[/b]
I'm the creative director of a design firm in Southern California and I must concur.
[Huh?]

Of the 3 other logos you showed, the third one has hope.

Re: cafepress.com - 17/07/03 11:19 PM

I agree, number 3 has hope, but are there snow capped mountains in Virginia ?

Try this test. Squint and look at it ? Notice how the black text is unreadable on a dark green background ? Contrast, contrast, contrast.

The shirts I've got from CafePress are a die-sub transfer. They print to a sheet, then press it onto the shirt. Any white area comes out clear and stiff, and icky. They fade very fast.
Posted by: RedX

Re: cafepress.com - 18/07/03 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by krisjon:
I'm the creative director of a design firm in Southern California and I must concur.
[Huh?]

Of the 3 other logos you showed, the third one has hope.
Hey....so am I....but not in California....but the other side of the country. And I come from the design side. Very cool.

Anyhoo....back to topic.....I certainly hope none of the VAXC folks are wearing the T-shirt if they get stuck and need a pull from a non-Xterra passerby. Could be embarrassing to say the least.

Of the three alternate logos, the third, I agree, is the most promising. I see an attempt, at least, to be going for a bit of a retro-feel. Not just in the VAXC logo, but in just about all the samples on the Cafepress page. Interesting.....but what is the conceptual nature of that approach? Just curious. Also....if he has been doing this since 18, may I ask what design education he has?

Ahhhh well.....It's all good. If you enjoy the logo and VAXC does as well....go for it. But I would suggest taking the third approach and message that for a while. See what comes of it.

[Wave]
Posted by: superjens

Re: cafepress.com - 18/07/03 09:13 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I see the VA and think VAgina.

Ok, it's probably just me.

Re: cafepress.com - 18/07/03 09:30 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. He is self taught, with the exception of work study, and internships. I like the third one the best myself, but want him to explore a couple of color options. He had a little bit of a rebuttle for you guys:

"I have spent a total of about 20 minutes on all the designs, so any criticism of the designs are welcome- they should know that creating a logo is a process if they are all full time designers like me. However, I must say that criticism of my talent is a little premature and uncalled for. I don't normally design logos as they are not my forte."

Just thought that I should let him comment back on your comments. Thanks again.
Posted by: Claus

Re: cafepress.com - 20/07/03 09:38 PM

One of the Graphic Artists came up with this, It was just presented this weekend and will be the new PNWX logo.

Extremely well done if you ask me....
Posted by: kayak_x

Re: cafepress.com - 20/07/03 10:07 PM

I like the PNWX logo.
My twisted mind, however, sees an Xterra driving over the character from Munch's "The scream" under the left front wheel.
[LOL]

Re: cafepress.com - 21/07/03 01:45 AM

I like it...it looks good. It is subtle, while still being creative.
Posted by: wordtothis

Re: cafepress.com - 21/07/03 04:51 AM

Quote:
" I have spent a total of about 20 minutes on all the designs , so any criticism of the designs are welcome- they should know that creating a logo is a process if they are all full time designers like me. However, I must say that criticism of my talent is a little premature and uncalled for. I don't normally design logos as they are not my forte ."
elle,
i respect the professionals, i am a graphic designer myself, formally educated and i know about criticism, but i would not make such presumptuous statements or claims if i was honestly expecting and accepting criticism in its true nature.
ego destroys designers and ego is something that xoc likes to destroy also. make sure he knows no one is trying to destroy his well-being or talent or anything, he seems to come across as thinking that.
my $.02
david [Geek]

Re: cafepress.com - 22/07/03 01:19 PM

How about this??

A little more basic. He changed some of his cafepress stuff.

Re: cafepress.com - 22/07/03 01:54 PM

Looking better, but the contrast is still not helping. Brown on tan and black on tan just don't work.
It needs to be readable from a distance.
Posted by: kev0153

Re: cafepress.com - 22/07/03 05:44 PM

Quote:
but are there snow capped mountains in Virginia ?
In the winter.
Posted by: Xterra Rick

Re: cafepress.com - 23/07/03 06:14 AM

I like the American Rag-skater design long sleeve shirt. I may even order one..... :p