DIY utility mat for my Xterra

Posted by: Anonymous

DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 06:28 AM

This isn't a big deal, and probably doesn't even count as a "mod", but I was happy with how it turned out.

I wanted a utility mat for the back of my Xterra. I haul a lot of stuff and was getting tired of constantly cleaning the carpet back there.

I found a 3'x5' utility mat at Target for $25. Nice, thick rubber too. I laid my OEM carpet mat down on top of it, and starting cutting. Fits perfectly! I even cut slits in it for the tie-downs to pass through.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 06:30 AM

Looks good [ThumbsUp]

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 06:32 AM

Nicely done!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 06:43 AM

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: xterraintx

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 06:51 AM

Nice job!!!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 07:41 AM

Thanks! If you choose to do this, beware; your Xterra will have a slight "rubbery" smell the next morning smile
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 08:09 AM

Damn man that's a brilliant yet simple mod to do..I like it. [ThumbsUp]

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 08:16 AM

It would have been pretty funny if you didn't lay that piece of wood down before you cut it. then you would have had some white carpet to fit in your trunk too...for those fancy nights out.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mostly_Harmless:
It would have been pretty funny if you didn't lay that piece of wood down before you cut it. then you would have had some white carpet to fit in your trunk too...for those fancy nights out.
Pretty sure had I done that, I'd be calling my trunk the "living room", cause my fiance would have kicked me out of the house and I'd be living in the X smile

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjpd1:
Thanks! If you choose to do this, beware; your Xterra will have a slight "rubbery" smell the next morning smile
That's what she said [LOL]
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 11:04 AM

Not bad...not bad at all! [ThumbsUp]

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 11:17 AM

Nice job. Makes me want to go to Target.
Posted by: 01SalsaXterra

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 11:17 AM

Nice idea!!
I have that rubber cargo mat and never used it because it was too big for the truck.
Now I know what to do with it. hehehehe
Thanks!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 12:58 PM

i did this using some left over plastic i had from putting laminate flooring. I definitely like your idea using the rubber utility mat, and it has a nice tread so things dont slide as much...im going to Target!!!

wait..we dont have those north of the border.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 03:54 PM

Very nice [ThumbsUp] , I'd like to do that.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 05:40 PM

I've considered cutting slits in mine for the tie downs but mine is waterproof right now and I'd like to keep it that way... cool
Posted by: ripcurl2151

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 05:54 PM

sweet idea...gotta see if my target has that mat

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 08:13 PM

I'm sure you can get a similar mat at places other than Target (Meijer, Wal-Mart, etc). It was located in the aisle with all the door mats, like the 30 or so different welcome mats that they have laid out. This one, along with about 10 other types of all-purpose mats, were rolled up and near the end of the aisle.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 16/03/07 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:

Meanwhile I'd like to do all those that are in that pic...all at once.

After that I'll need 3 beers, a pack of smokes and some ice please.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 17/03/07 07:52 AM

Great Idea about the mat. I might consider doing to same cause my carpet back there is all full of dirt and mud. Target here I come laugh

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 17/03/07 08:04 AM

Awesome - I think I'll be copying this one for the back of my 2nd Gen. That plastic rear gets scratched to all hell and is actually pretty slippery, I think this would work way better than my current method of having a movers blanket thing back there. Nice one.

Edit to add.
Just thought of somethin tho - 2nd Gens don't have the carpet to remove as a template, so I'll be using a big roll of paper to create a template first.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 03:50 PM

Quote:
[QB]
QB]
This is not a complaint....the picture's nice, but am I missing something? What does it have to do with the rubber floor mat? confused [drink]

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 05:15 PM

Like the floormat solution, it's very nice. :rolleyes:
Posted by: spalind

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 05:39 PM

Excellent work!!! Don't know if it could look better....I think someone should come up with a catchy name for this mod as it is certainly deserving of going down in the list of all time great yet simple Xterra mods (Sgt. Lobo mod, etc...)
Posted by: Gold Rush

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 05:49 PM

The "Target Mat Mod"?

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gold Rush:
[b]The "Target Mat Mod"?[/b]
smile [ThumbsUp]

Or "The MJPD Ribbed-for-Her-Pleasure Target Mat Mod". That doesn't quite roll off the tongue the same way though...

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 09:32 PM

TMM; sorta like a PML?

I love it that you made that mod from a $25 car mat and Husky charges what, $70 for it?

Don't have a target by me, Home Depot here I come.

Three cheers for those ladies!
[drink] [drink] [drink]
Posted by: BigE515

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 18/03/07 11:03 PM

Quote:
My backseat always has that problem, no worries! :p
Good job, looks good! [ThumbsUp]

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 19/03/07 06:41 PM

I paid about 35 for mine off of eBay and it is some sort of foam with a rubberized coating on top. Some guy evidently makes them and sells them on eBay...very good mod. Works out great when you have a leaky cooler or a dog who likes to swim...
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 19/03/07 07:56 PM

Anyone who does this mod on a next-gen please post pics.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 20/03/07 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:
Anyone who does this mod on a next-gen please post pics.
I've got a friend with an '06. I'll see if she can try this out.
Posted by: Erik

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 21/03/07 09:20 PM

Quote:
This isn't a big deal, and probably doesn't even count as a "mod", but I was happy with how it turned out.

I wanted a utility mat for the back of my Xterra. I haul a lot of stuff and was getting tired of constantly cleaning the carpet back there.

I found a 3'x5' utility mat at Target for $25. Nice, thick rubber too. I laid my OEM carpet mat down on top of it, and starting cutting. Fits perfectly! I even cut slits in it for the tie-downs to pass through.
[ThumbsUp]
Thanks for the idea! I went out and picked this up a my local target and put it in. Other then my truck smelling like a S & M shop, I love it! It was a bitch to cut, but I had a dull knife!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 22/03/07 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik:
It was a bitch to cut, but I had a dull knife!
I found that scissors actually work a lot better than a knife. You wouldn't think scissors would do well on the thick rubber, but they worked quite well.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 27/03/07 08:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the idea! I went out and picked this up a my local target and put it in.
Did you happen to save the label from the mat itself? I've been trying to locate the mat online for those who don't have a Target nearby, but I can't find anything similar. Thought if you saved the label, we could locate the manufacturer online.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 28/03/07 07:29 PM

I did this mod also great one. Fits like a glove and thich as hell.

To those looking for one, i will be grabbing another for a buddy within the next couple of days i will forward label info when i get it.I would sya ill mail you one, but they are pretty flipping heavy and shiping would be much.
Jay

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 28/03/07 11:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Thanks for the idea! I went out and picked this up a my local target and put it in.
Did you happen to save the label from the mat itself? I've been trying to locate the mat online for those who don't have a Target nearby, but I can't find anything similar. Thought if you saved the label, we could locate the manufacturer online.[/b]
No but next time I'm in Target I'll look.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 04/04/07 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Thanks for the idea! I went out and picked this up a my local target and put it in.
Did you happen to save the label from the mat itself? I've been trying to locate the mat online for those who don't have a Target nearby, but I can't find anything similar. Thought if you saved the label, we could locate the manufacturer online.[/b]
Actually I was cleaning out my garage and found the label. It's distributed by Target. Here is a pic of the lable.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 04/04/07 01:56 PM

ribbed for extra scraping? LMAO! sigh. I needed a laugh... This is a great idea, since no one makes a heavy duty mat for the SESC with the RF stereo + buil-in sub. Thanks for sharing the "mod" idea. [ThumbsUp]

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 15/04/07 04:27 PM

Picked one up today. Just need to trim it, and boy it sure does smell. Gonna leave it out in the sun for a while first...

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 15/04/07 04:54 PM

The smell goes away after a week or so. I only notice it now if I've left my Xterra sitting in the sun all day and the interior heats up a bit.
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 30/04/07 01:15 PM

Quote:

Umm whoa!!!!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 30/04/07 02:14 PM

I have been to 3 targets in my area. None carry this product. Grrr. They have all sorts of similar ones rolled up at the end of the aisle, but not this particular one. I can't find it on their website either.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 30/04/07 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ryanbt:
I have been to 3 targets in my area. None carry this product. Grrr. They have all sorts of similar ones rolled up at the end of the aisle, but not this particular one. I can't find it on their website either.
That's where I found it; rolled up at the end of the aisle. Couldn't find it on their website either. Keep looking, maybe they'll restock it at some point!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 01/05/07 04:18 PM

Hmmm, looks like I have found a suitable material for some body lift lips....

How flexable is the material?

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 01/05/07 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shmittey:
Hmmm, looks like I have found a suitable material for some body lift lips....

How flexable is the material?
It's extremely flexible but so far very durable as well.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 04/05/07 04:27 PM

Freaking great idea. I'm gettin' one. Thanks for sharing!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 20/05/07 08:15 AM

mad I'm with everyone else. I'm really frustrated. This is a great, cheap mod, but it's undoable because that mat simply doesn't exist anymore. I too have been to multiple Targets, as well as Wal-Mart and OSH, and no one's got one. And like the guy said, even Target's website doesn't have it. mad I'm gonna swing by Home Depot and Lowe's today to try my luck. Let you all know if I find one.
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 20/05/07 08:20 AM

Good idea to check w/Lowe's and/or Home Depot. They should have something similar, possibly on rolls or sheets if nothing else. You could still cut it to size.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 20/05/07 12:31 PM

Must be a regional thing. I've got two Targets within 15 miles of my house. I've been to both over the past week (registering for wedding gifts) and both Targets still had the mat.

I'd gladly pick up several and ship them out, but it's pretty heavy, so shipping would be expensive. Would hate to have to charge you guys for the mat PLUS shipping costs. Although if it's something you're willing to pay for, I'd gladly do it.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 22/05/07 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rift:
mad I'm with everyone else. I'm really frustrated. This is a great, cheap mod, but it's undoable because that mat simply doesn't exist anymore. I too have been to multiple Targets, as well as Wal-Mart and OSH, and no one's got one. And like the guy said, even Target's website doesn't have it. mad I'm gonna swing by Home Depot and Lowe's today to try my luck. Let you all know if I find one.
Okay everyone, I went to Home Depot and they didn't have it ether. They had a thin rubber backed door mat kinda thing, but it was carpet. No good. I may have to take the UPC from the pic and go see if Target can order the thing. Running the UPC on their website does nothing, by the way.

Am I being obsessive here? cool
Posted by: Rockaholic

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 22/05/07 02:40 PM

I've been to a couple of targets around me, no Mats either...

Here's the question, does the shipping cost go up if you ship multiple mats?

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 23/05/07 09:41 AM

Okay last night I tracked one down. I called Target and they were able to do an inventory search for all the Targets in the area. They found two within about 20 miles of me. They needed a certain code from the packaging that Erik provided. It's not the UPC code, but a different code. If you look at the pic he provided, it's the series of numbers in the upper left corner of the UPC code box. It's 3 numbers, then two, then four. In this case, it's: 066 06 0199 . Give them that code and they might be able to track one down for you.

I'm picking mine up tonight. laugh [ThumbsUp]

Thanks again Erik, for a great, cheap, practical mod idea.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 25/05/07 06:28 PM

Quote:
Okay last night I tracked one down. I called Target and they were able to do an inventory search for all the Targets in the area. They found two within about 20 miles of me. They needed a certain code from the packaging that Erik provided. It's not the UPC code, but a different code. If you look at the pic he provided, it's the series of numbers in the upper left corner of the UPC code box. It's 3 numbers, then two, then four. In this case, it's: 066 06 0199 . Give them that code and they might be able to track one down for you.

I'm picking mine up tonight. laugh [ThumbsUp]

Thanks again Erik, for a great, cheap, practical mod idea.
And with great glee and fanfare, I am proud to announce.... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 25/05/07 07:58 PM

Awesome! Glad to see someone else was able to take advantage of this!

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 25/05/07 09:03 PM

I think the smell on mine has finally died, or they killed off the smell receptors in my nose from constant abuse... [Smoking] But now I can actually carry stuff in the back without it smacking the sides with each turn.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 26/05/07 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mnemonic:
I think the smell on mine has finally died, or they killed off the smell receptors in my nose from constant abuse... [Smoking] But now I can actually carry stuff in the back without it smacking the sides with each turn.
Hey take a look at my pic. I had a sliding issue too. I just used a cheap bungee cord and the problem was solved. I even use it for gettin' groceries.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 26/05/07 11:13 AM

For anyone still looking/having trouble finding this material check Wally World. I was in there last night and they had some in the automotive section.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 26/05/07 11:16 AM

Yep, I did the same thing:

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 27/05/07 07:52 AM

Quote:
Looks like you have a pretty good shop goin' there too. I can see the pegboard through the windshield. I'm jealous.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 27/05/07 07:59 AM

Quote:
Hey I see that you have some netting on the side compartments of the cargo area. Do you know if those are available for earlier models? I have a 2002. Thanks.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 27/05/07 10:39 AM

Quote:
Hey I see that you have some netting on the side compartments of the cargo area. Do you know if those are available for earlier models? I have a 2002. Thanks.
I've got an '04 and mine came with them. Do you have the compartment areas on the '02 and just no nets? I'm sure you could order the nets from the later models and retrofit them in there. Maybe just try some standard screw-in eyehooks for the anchor points.

Might even be able to find some combination of a mollybolt and eyehook to make it stronger.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 28/05/07 09:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Hey I see that you have some netting on the side compartments of the cargo area. Do you know if those are available for earlier models? I have a 2002. Thanks.
I've got an '04 and mine came with them. Do you have the compartment areas on the '02 and just no nets? I'm sure you could order the nets from the later models and retrofit them in there. Maybe just try some standard screw-in eyehooks for the anchor points.

Might even be able to find some combination of a mollybolt and eyehook to make it stronger.[/b]
Yeah that's it exactly. The 2002 came with the compartments, but not the mini nets. I'll have to hunt around I guess. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: BlueSky

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 28/05/07 10:21 AM

I've had the Highland #95013 3-pocket cargo net for a couple of years and it works really well in my 2002. It has flat button-style anchors about the size of a quarter. When not in use it rolls up and fits perfectly in the storage well.

I'm working today but will post pics within a day or two.

Re: DIY utility mat for my Xterra - 02/11/07 08:09 AM

My how the tables have turned...I traded my Xterra for an '07 Element. Left my Target mat in the Xterra, thinking I'd just pick up a new one for the Element. Now I can't find the mat anywhere! Neither of the nearby Targets carry them anymore...

Now I understand the frustration you guys had trying to track this thing down!

Oh and sorry the original pictures aren't showing up anymore in the first post. I moved servers and haven't re-uploaded all my images yet.