Calmini SAS Test Run

Posted by: DesertHB

Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 08:55 PM

Cyclemut and myself spent the weekend in Anza Borrego testing out the Calmini SAS. I think the photos at Pinyon Mountain speak for themselves.

Campsite Photo

The system worked just awesome. Get one if you can.

Many thanks to Cyclemut (spotter, photographer and technician extraordinaire).

-Doug
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 09:06 PM

laugh
Wow! When does Steve plan to put the kit into production? Add one more mod to the list for me [ThumbsUp]
EDIT- I was sold at pic #4
Posted by: off2cjb

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 09:10 PM

Very nice indeed. Geez, I hope I win the lottery soon.
Posted by: sandmanX

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 09:28 PM

I covet.

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 09:58 PM

Nice...

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 10:22 PM

Anybody know when it is going to be available ?

I want I want I want

JJ

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 11:08 PM

Awsome
Posted by: ClaptoVaughn

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 22/08/04 11:59 PM

'Tis the dawning of a new era for Xterras.

I guess you can call it an new Xt'era! Haha..ha..yeah. [Uh Oh !]
Posted by: Snoopy

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 04:20 AM

Trail looks familiar...Pinyon Mountain w/ Jeep Squeeze and Heart Attack Drop?

I still got a tiny ding in my door from that wall wink
Posted by: RI Xterra

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 06:06 AM

Looks sweet... [ThumbsUp]
Posted by: imacsae

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 06:25 AM

These 2 pictures just say it all.

Droooool.
Posted by: RedX

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 06:45 AM

Pics look terrific! [ThumbsUp]

So, in addition to the pictures telling the story, how did the SAS perform? What, if any quirks need resolving? Can't wait to read a good write-up of performance, etc.

Hope this solution may be able to be within my budget.

[Wave]

EDIT: Oooops...my bad...I have now seen Cyclemut's review over on the other thread for the Calmini SAS.

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 07:22 AM

OMG
Posted by: xterra3202

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 07:33 AM

mucho dinero but WoW that looks awesome!!!

Tim
Posted by: xterra3202

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 07:34 AM

Sorry forgot a questions that has been bugging me

What did they do to the rear to match the front??? Coil over, spring over, longer shackles, more leafs????? Thanks

Tim

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 07:34 AM

Does'nt look that special to me...

Just kidding. That's pretty PIMP.

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 09:28 AM

I put my opinion HERE . I think it's great, and would get it just as it sits, no problemo!

Thanks again Doug, I had an awesome time.

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
Sorry forgot a questions that has been bugging me

What did they do to the rear to match the front??? Coil over, spring over, longer shackles, more leafs????? Thanks

Tim
The leafs are re-arched for now. There will be a new set of leafs for the rear.

-Doug
Posted by: Yellow Gecko

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 01:19 PM

That looks sweet!!! We are going to be kicking some jeep butt!!!! What kind of Axle and Tires are you using?

Nice job fellas!
Posted by: Huey

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 01:35 PM

Very nice!

Can we see static (poser) shots of the truck? I'd like to see how it sits now and ofcourse more shots of the hardware would be nice. smile

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
Very nice!

Can we see static (poser) shots of the truck? I'd like to see how it sits now and ofcourse more shots of the hardware would be nice. smile
Yes, but it's going to have to wait till the weekend since I'm traveling this week.

-Doug
Posted by: Powerguy38

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 04:06 PM

I helped your photos out a bit so we can see what's going on. laugh

Posted by: JSRAIDER

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 05:10 PM

[Freak] boner [Freak] ....holy crap that looks awesome. Now I just have to win the lotto or work a year's worth of overtime and hope the wife doesn't get a hold of my checks. Is that a Dana 44 in the front?
Posted by: Stone4x4

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 05:33 PM

I think I have a wet spot from looking at that way to go STEVE!!
Posted by: Rickster43

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 07:22 PM

WOW...Those are definetly great Pics...the X looks pretty "Off-roadish"...
Posted by: gmaxis

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 08:16 PM

Damn! (insert wolf whistle). [ThumbsUp]

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 23/08/04 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JSRAIDER:
Is that a Dana 44 in the front?
Yes, a D44 from a 83 Waggy. ARB, 4.88 gears, new brakes, bearings, seals, Crane diff cover. Tires are 33x12.5x15 MTRs. Wheels are 3.75 BS.

-Doug
Posted by: steinism

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 24/08/04 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra312002:
[b]Sorry forgot a questions that has been bugging me

Tim
The leafs are re-arched for now. There will be a new set of leafs for the rear.
-Doug[/b]
did you keep it spring under?

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 24/08/04 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by steinism:
did you keep it spring under?
It’s currently spring under with re-arched springs, but this will likely change. It may end up spring over with a flat or negative arch spring. Keep in mind the front ride height will be very customizable depending on how high a person will want to lift it. The rear springs will need to be built to accommodate the front. I see most folks going with 33’s, but I’m sure some will want 35’s. Those will 35’s will need a different rear set up.
I will post photos as things evolve.

-Doug
Posted by: spalind

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 24/08/04 06:54 PM

This may be a stupid question but what the hell....is this a fairly simple---by that I mean mechanicly, not labor wise, operation?? What I'm wondering is just how much tweaking will Calmini, or a customer, have to do to modify this kit to get it to work on the '05 redesign Xterra?? obviously the measurements will differ but will the same basic engineering principles apply and therefore make it easy for Calmini or a customer of Calmini's to modify the kit to work on the '05's?? Seeing as how the aftermarket has latched onto the Titan so quickly I would suspect so but am just wondering....

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 24/08/04 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
This may be a stupid question but what the hell....is this a fairly simple---by that I mean mechanicly, not labor wise, operation?? What I'm wondering is just how much tweaking will Calmini, or a customer, have to do to modify this kit to get it to work on the '05 redesign Xterra?? obviously the measurements will differ but will the same basic engineering principles apply and therefore make it easy for Calmini or a customer of Calmini's to modify the kit to work on the '05's?? Seeing as how the aftermarket has latched onto the Titan so quickly I would suspect so but am just wondering....
Considering that the frame, stock suspension, overall dimensions are very different I would say quite a bit would change. Sure it’s going to be a great kit, but fitting it to a 05’ may be a stretch considering that no one has had one on a lift to see how everything is configured. The one thing that is transferable is the overall skill and quality that is going into the Xterra SAS kit.
The kit will be very transportable to a Hardbody and a Frontier.

-Doug
Posted by: Axle

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 24/08/04 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertHB:
Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
[b]This may be a stupid question but what the hell....is this a fairly simple---by that I mean mechanicly, not labor wise, operation?? What I'm wondering is just how much tweaking will Calmini, or a customer, have to do to modify this kit to get it to work on the '05 redesign Xterra?? obviously the measurements will differ but will the same basic engineering principles apply and therefore make it easy for Calmini or a customer of Calmini's to modify the kit to work on the '05's?? Seeing as how the aftermarket has latched onto the Titan so quickly I would suspect so but am just wondering....
Considering that the frame, stock suspension, overall dimensions are very different I would say quite a bit would change. Sure it’s going to be a great kit, but fitting it to a 05’ may be a stretch considering that no one has had one on a lift to see how everything is configured. The one thing that is transferable is the overall skill and quality that is going into the Xterra SAS kit.
The kit will be very transportable to a Hardbody and a Frontier.

-Doug[/b]
Isn't the 05 set up on coils too? That alone will require a completely different approach as there won't be any tabs on the frame to bolt the shock towers to.

Axle
Posted by: R&R LOPEZ

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 25/08/04 01:41 AM

Way out of my bugdet. frown But s@*T eek thats awesome !!!! Awesome pictures How was the ride? laugh
Posted by: xterrabull

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 25/08/04 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
Isn't the 05 set up on coils too? That alone will require a completely different approach as there won't be any tabs on the frame to bolt the shock towers to.

Axle
Coils or not, there are still upper control arms on the 05, and the UCA mounts are the mount points for the coilover hoops with the CalMini SAS kit. That said, however, so many dimensions will be different that most likely it would have to be a major redesign (though perhaps still using the UCA mounts as the coilover hoop mounts).

EDIT: Come to think of it, perhaps the 05 coilover mounts could be incorporated some how in an SAS kit. Regardless, one major drawback remains, which is having to change over from rack & pinion steering, something the Tacoma guys have to do for SAS.
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 25/08/04 10:26 AM

Don't forget that the '05 is a rack and pinion steering too (PITA)
Posted by: OffroadX

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 25/08/04 11:49 AM

I took plenty of underbody shots in NYC:
www.nissanoffroad.com/05X

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 25/08/04 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xterrabull:
Quote:
[b]Isn't the 05 set up on coils too? That alone will require a completely different approach as there won't be any tabs on the frame to bolt the shock towers to.

Axle
Coils or not, there are still upper control arms on the 05, and the UCA mounts are the mount points for the coilover hoops with the CalMini SAS kit. That said, however, so many dimensions will be different that most likely it would have to be a major redesign (though perhaps still using the UCA mounts as the coilover hoop mounts).

EDIT: Come to think of it, perhaps the 05 coilover mounts could be incorporated some how in an SAS kit. Regardless, one major drawback remains, which is having to change over from rack & pinion steering, something the Tacoma guys have to do for SAS.[/b]
Oh yeah, brain fart. I was thinking that there wouldn't be a torsion bar cross member to bolt into.

Axle
Posted by: Xtoolbox

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 25/08/04 04:08 PM

Nice to hear about the successful desert terrain type test smile

Now what's next? How about some more challenging rocky trails?
Dusy Ershim September 16-19 http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000860
http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/review.htm

Or if you want something more local let me know, I'm sure we could get together a crew for some of the Big Bear trails (see inline of John Bull last weekend when we scouting for adopt a trail.

Would be really sweet to see this adapted to the older coil sprung pathys, should ride & wheel just like my 94' Toy FZJ80 cruiser if you add the dual electronic lockers, bigger engine, etc wink

Like to see something similar also for the 2nd gen X's (05+). Latest Toy 4 runner is very similar, I've already seen them SAS'ed on the trails around here.

Brian

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 07/10/04 01:34 PM

i dont have any kids yet but when i do i would be glad to sell one or two of them for the SAS.....If there is any takers i'll try to crank one out...
Posted by: TremorX

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 07/10/04 02:07 PM

My reaction:

:rolleyes: oh hay look more four wheel drive cr [Freak] [Geek] whoa, what just happened in my pants

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 08/10/04 12:34 PM

Nice pics [ThumbsUp] Do you ever scratch your truck going in between rocks like that?

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 08/10/04 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by geo:
Nice pics [ThumbsUp] Do you ever scratch your truck going in between rocks like that?
No
Posted by: dhsundance

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 08/10/04 04:23 PM

Quote:
Only when I've been drinking.

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 09/10/04 01:04 AM

Quote:
If you're worried about a scratch in your truck, don't take it out offroading.

Axle
Posted by: Carlton McMillan

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 09/10/04 07:00 AM

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Nice pics [ThumbsUp] Do you ever scratch your truck going in between rocks like that?
If you're worried about a scratch in your truck, don't take it out offroading.

Axle[/b]
thats the truth smile
Posted by: Southernx7

Re: Calmini SAS Test Run - 09/10/04 07:11 AM

oh man, i still have paint left, damn off to the woods again. laugh